CHRONOLOGICALLY BLESSED

I found instructions on how to make huaraches on a German website that is actually called "jogging sucks" :D

I'll see whether I can find something in English, too, and then I'll post the link. 

They look pretty easy, as long as you have a sharp pointy thing! I'd probably sandwich the knot between another layer of leather sole though, or the ground will wear it out.

• Like 1
STR 8 | DEX 4 | STA 7 | CON 6 |  WIS 9.75 | CHA 10.5
Current challenge | Accountable to chronologically blessed

Progress bars below!

Feb 2016
Quest 1 - Misfit to 800 4 days out of 7

0%
0%
Quest 2 - Mindfulness daily

0%
0%

Quest 3 - Veg with every meal, 2 pints of water a day

0%
0%
Life Goal - Self Care
0%
0%

reposting my terribly moany and self sorry post from the Facebook group this morning, I'm wondering if I'm not seeing any results because I am old. I'm 48

"It dawned on me that since January when I joined the gym with the best of intentions I have been exercising more than previous years and my diet has been way better - so why am I still fat? I have a wardrobe of lovely clothes I can't wear because they are too small and I live in a self imposed uniform of black baggy linen trousers and tops. I'm fucked when winter comes because none of my winter clothes fit and I don't see myself getting any smaller by then.
Admittedly I'm sporadic in my entheusiasm for getting fitter and thinner but overall I'm eating better and exercising more so you would think that in 8 months it would show a difference.
I'm fed up and feel worthless."

I'm trying to lose half a stone

Progress bars below!

Feb 2016

0%
0%

0%
0%

0%
0%
Life Goal - Self Care
0%
0%

So much comes into play in this area. Generally speaking, NF advocates looking to our diets for the vast majority of weight loss. So we ask ourselves if our diet is clean enough (minimal sugar and processed flours/foods, plenty of produce). Paleo and paleo-ish seems to work well for the majority. Replacing breads and sugars and premade foods with fruits and vegetables is the biggest difference we can make.

Beyond that, we have to also take into consideration the genetic stock we're from, whether we have more short muscle or long muscle, our age and whether we take certain medications that inhibit weight loss.

A sports minded physician, dietitian, and physical therapist may be necessary to give us the accountability and consistency, the structured routine that would combat stubborn weight loss.

Sent from my Samsung S4 using Tapatalk.

• Like 1

Granny Nogg - Level 10 Warrior

Battle Log| Challenge 8 |Challenge 9 | Challenge 10

My Job | My Epic Quest | Instagram

"Those are not my monkeys."

So much comes into play in this area. Generally speaking, NF advocates looking to our diets for the vast majority of weight loss. So we ask ourselves if our diet is clean enough (minimal sugar and processed flours/foods, plenty of produce). Paleo and paleo-ish seems to work well for the majority. Replacing breads and sugars and premade foods with fruits and vegetables is the biggest difference we can make.

Beyond that, we have to also take into consideration the genetic stock we're from, whether we have more short muscle or long muscle, our age and whether we take certain medications that inhibit weight loss.

A sports minded physician, dietitian, and physical therapist may be necessary to give us the accountability and consistency, the structured routine that would combat stubborn weight loss.

Sent from my Samsung S4 using Tapatalk.

My diet is the cleanest it's ever been - with slips of course but overall pretty good. I'm more primal than paleo but wheat is a rare thing and sugar is pretty much out of the picture now.

I've always been leggy and long limbed, not much of a waist but lean. Now I am dumpy. The only medicine I take is the pill but I'm using that for the oestragen to combat menopausal flushes as well as for contraception. It's never made me put on weight before.

I like the idea of 'stubborn weight loss' - like a nasty stain!

Progress bars below!

Feb 2016

0%
0%

0%
0%

0%
0%
Life Goal - Self Care
0%
0%

My diet is the cleanest it's ever been - with slips of course but overall pretty good. I'm more primal than paleo but wheat is a rare thing and sugar is pretty much out of the picture now.

I've always been leggy and long limbed, not much of a waist but lean. Now I am dumpy. The only medicine I take is the pill but I'm using that for the oestragen to combat menopausal flushes as well as for contraception. It's never made me put on weight before.

I like the idea of 'stubborn weight loss' - like a nasty stain!

I've had this discussion with my wife, who's a few years older than you (but if I told you her age I'd have to kill you).

Eating clean is fine, but you have to consider how much you eat too. If you eat 3000 calories a day of chicken breast and broccoli and only burn 2000 you'll gain weight.

it's especially hard for a woman. Women will lose both fat and muscle when they eat a calorie deficit. Lost muscle means lower metabolism, which can turn your calorie deficit into a surplus. Unfair? Yup. But its biology.

You have to eat a calorie deficit AND work your muscles so hour body won't cannibalize them and is forced to rely on fat deposits to make up the difference.

There's tons of good advice on this forum, and great people who are more than willing to help.

• Like 2

I've had this discussion with my wife, who's a few years older than you (but if I told you her age I'd have to kill you).

Eating clean is fine, but you have to consider how much you eat too. If you eat 3000 calories a day of chicken breast and broccoli and only burn 2000 you'll gain weight.

it's especially hard for a woman. Women will lose both fat and muscle when they eat a calorie deficit. Lost muscle means lower metabolism, which can turn your calorie deficit into a surplus. Unfair? Yup. But its biology.

You have to eat a calorie deficit AND work your muscles so hour body won't cannibalize them and is forced to rely on fat deposits to make up the difference.

There's tons of good advice on this forum, and great people who are more than willing to help.

yep, good point, I was using a smaller plate than my 12 year old for a while - he is eating piles of food right now so portion control is a bit skewed.

When I was tracking on My Fitness Pal I was aiming at around 1400 a day. But because I'm never sure what is correct on there I never really believed what it said. Also, when you cook all your own stuff which I mostly do it's a real pain in the arse putting in every ingredient.

• Like 1

Progress bars below!

Feb 2016

0%
0%

0%
0%

0%
0%
Life Goal - Self Care
0%
0%

reposting my terribly moany and self sorry post from the Facebook group this morning, I'm wondering if I'm not seeing any results because I am old. I'm 48

"It dawned on me that since January when I joined the gym with the best of intentions I have been exercising more than previous years and my diet has been way better - so why am I still fat? I have a wardrobe of lovely clothes I can't wear because they are too small and I live in a self imposed uniform of black baggy linen trousers and tops. I'm fucked when winter comes because none of my winter clothes fit and I don't see myself getting any smaller by then.

Admittedly I'm sporadic in my entheusiasm for getting fitter and thinner but overall I'm eating better and exercising more so you would think that in 8 months it would show a difference.

I'm fed up and feel worthless."

I'm trying to lose half a stone

You remind me of myself in 2012...

Paleo helped me to lose a lot of weight, and when I started to eat low carb high fat (I follow this website LCHF) I shed more, and my health finally improved considerably. For me personally, this LCHF way was the last straw, I grabbed it and it saved me. Saved me in terms of health, weight, mood - and many other aspects.

Yes, I know how you feel, hiding in baggy clothes. Did the same for YEARS, and I hate the memory. For me, it meant that I jumped out of pretty much every family picture that was taken… or trying to assume instantly some sort of camouflage position to hide my body. Go swimming? Forget it. Join a gym? Never! Okay, I don't like gyms, but simply to go anyplace, where maybe parts of me get seen … ugh. 

Don't know whether my concept will work for you, too. But it might. I am now 49 years old, and it worked for me. 

Uhm, by the way, how much is a stone in kilogram…?  :redface:

Mark D is right: you can eat as clean as you want, but if you load up more calories than you burn, it won't work. At least it won't work well. 

Those MFP - like databases are a pain the youknowwhere, but they are also very helpful if you want to see how your calorie intake actually is in terms of carbs, protein and fat. Can't stand putting in detail after detail - but I love when it calculates my day better than I could have done on paper!

Sport never made me lose weight, but it helps the re-shaping process, prevents muscle loss and is good for stress relief and mood.

• Like 1

FLUCTUAT  NEC  MERGITUR

FUELED BY PALEO

7lb is about 3.17 k according to google :-)
I could cut out dairy, I probably am way over on portion control with butter and it's easy enough to limit.

Progress bars below!

Feb 2016

0%
0%

0%
0%

0%
0%
Life Goal - Self Care
0%
0%

You remind me of myself in 2012...

Paleo helped me to lose a lot of weight, and when I started to eat low carb high fat (I follow this website LCHF) I shed more, and my health finally improved considerably. For me personally, this LCHF way was the last straw, I grabbed it and it saved me. Saved me in terms of health, weight, mood - and many other aspects.

If I drop my carbs too much I don't sleep - the Whole 30 really messed with my sleep and I was including white potatos too - I was down to 4 hours a night, it's not sustainable.

Progress bars below!

Feb 2016

0%
0%

0%
0%

0%
0%
Life Goal - Self Care
0%
0%

After the first month or so, using MFP becomes quite easy. Most of us are creatures of habit or routine; we eat from the same smallish set of things over and over. Once you've identified or entered a food in your log, it's on your shortlist. Once you've logged all the things you eat in a given meal, you can save it as a whole meal to log with a single tap next time. And once you've entered the ingredients for a recipe you make, you can log that food as a single item. Same thing with exercise; most of us don't do all the things, just a few specific kinds of exercise.

I've found calorie counting with an app like MFP the simplest way to control weight, whether losing, gaining, or maintaining. I still use it now, after over two years in maintenance, and it only takes me a few minutes a day. It just takes a little investment of effort up front.

• Like 2

balance in mind ... body in motion ... making inertia my bitch

Lv.2 warmonkey | 2 STR, 3 STA, 3 DEX, 5 CON, 4 WIS, 2 CHA

Challenges: Current | Previous

I'm in a routine for a few days (it's 2 of us in the house and my son doesn't eat meat so if I get a chicken, I eat chicken for days) but generally I do change what I eat quite a lot. Apart from soups I don't have any set meals because my meal plans are based on what is cheap/reduced or in season. At the moment we are eating courgettes with everything, next month it will be a lot of apples.
Breakfast is generally eggs somehow, everything else changes and the hassle of putting in a home made cauliflower based pizza with yeast flakes instead of cheese is just too daunting.
It would help if MFP didn't crash every browser I try it on, so I can only put things in with my phone.

I'm wondering if it is something else though - I did 28 miserable days of the Whole 30 earlier this year and lost nothing, no inches, no pounds nothing, apart from sleep.

Anyway, today is a new day.
I'm going to cut dairy out of my diet for a while - for the remainder of the challenge would be good.

And I did day 1 of the Hero's Journey, very slowly. I may not continue it for that long but starting is better than putting it off.

• Like 2

Progress bars below!

Feb 2016

0%
0%

0%
0%

0%
0%
Life Goal - Self Care
0%
0%

I really hope you'll find something soon that is the right thing for you. Personally, I don't believe that there is one concept that fits all. It's all just guidelines, and one has to individually work out what is best for the own metabolism.

Hm, the one difference I see is the pill. But I don't know whether the impact of the pill is that much to impair weight loss. In this case, I have no personal experience - I only took it two years between 23 and 25, and then never again. It didn't agree withe me, kept making me retain water and made me depressed.

Have you ever had your hormones checked? Thyroid? 

Eggs for breakfast …  I love them! Eggs are wonderful, one can make so many delicious things with them.

• Like 3

FLUCTUAT  NEC  MERGITUR

FUELED BY PALEO

Thyroid was checked year before last and was ok, I'm using the pill as hormone replacement therapy for the oestragen as well as for contraception. I think I'd be much unhappier if I had to live with the perimenopausal things - in my week off the pill (I don't generally last a full week) I have no temperature control whatsoever, I can be boiling to freezing in minutes. It means no sleep and I do not function with no sleep.
I've just started a migraine (which will account for my very dark mood yesterday, it was the build up). I've got some time off my son week after next so I'll make a dr's appt.

• Like 1

Progress bars below!

Feb 2016

0%
0%

0%
0%

0%
0%
Life Goal - Self Care
0%
0%

Thyroid was checked year before last and was ok, I'm using the pill as hormone replacement therapy for the oestragen as well as for contraception. I think I'd be much unhappier if I had to live with the perimenopausal things - in my week off the pill (I don't generally last a full week) I have no temperature control whatsoever, I can be boiling to freezing in minutes. It means no sleep and I do not function with no sleep.

I've just started a migraine (which will account for my very dark mood yesterday, it was the build up). I've got some time off my son week after next so I'll make a dr's appt.

I hope you feel better very soon, scumspawn!

I've been thinking about goal-setting, and wandering around the forums.  Would anyone care to comment on the following?  I'm away next week, so I would be starting in earnest in the first week in September and thus hopefully rolling it over into the next challenge.

Do the beginner bodyweight workout three times a week, add weights if necessary to make it more challenging.

Do interval training twice a week, probably one day running intervals and one day rowing intervals.

Spend at least ten minutes stretching and foam rolling each day.

Go back to doing some Pilates core exercises - these work well in combination with lower back stretches.

Go for a long walk at weekends with at least one of my sons.

Walk to work (c. five miles) at least twice a week.

Try at least one new Paleo/clean eating food/recipe each week.

No alcohol at all in September. 

• Like 3

I've been thinking about goal-setting, and wandering around the forums.  Would anyone care to comment on the following?  I'm away next week, so I would be starting in earnest in the first week in September and thus hopefully rolling it over into the next challenge.

Do the beginner bodyweight workout three times a week, add weights if necessary to make it more challenging.

Do interval training twice a week, probably one day running intervals and one day rowing intervals.

Go back to doing some Pilates core exercises - these work well in combination with lower back stretches.

Oh, and I usually do at least one weights workout a week (today it was deadlifts & kettlebell lunges & swings & hammer press) so would substitute that for one of the beginner bodyweight workouts.  

• Like 1

have you any rest days planned? I'd be worried about burnout with no rests
  • Like 2

Progress bars below!

Feb 2016

0%
0%

0%
0%

0%
0%
Life Goal - Self Care
0%
0%

Hi everyone!

I've not been very present on here as wildross and I are building a house. Well, having it built. When I was young, I dreamt of building my own with my own hands. At 55, I realize that is not going to happen!

A few random comments.

I have experienced the same pain free walking and some jogging(never before!) In minimalist shoes. My first experience was in Germany. I had an injured type and could not wear normal shoes, and I purchased a pair of closed toe sandals. I walked all over the areas near ramstein, climbed castle ruins, explored Heidelberg and came back home to the states. I put those shoes in the closet, put my brooks back on with orthotics as I was told and went back to the painful lack of walking.

It was when I was developing what looked like drop foot that I started wearing swim shoes...like footies with a very thin sole.

I want to make my own huraches, but I find them at xero.com ( I'll check that...google xero).

My feet are women's 6 wide(US). Almost as wide as long. I can't wear Nike's, I'm afraid to buy vibrams without trying them on, and I live in Florida...not going to walk on pavement barefoot!

I actually turn 55 on sept 8. WR set a whole year challenge for his double nickle, and my health interfered. I have been doing some research into some dna, hair tissue mineral analysis, and I'm going too be doing some specialized blood work too help figure out what is going on in my body.

Just learning two things, I have MTHFR issues with assimilating things and my serum magnesium(as opposed to blood level mag) was low, causing muscle and soft tissue pain. I feel better more often now than I have in a long time.

If things aren't working like the numbers say they should, there could be something else going on.

Www.gotmag.org has a lot about magnesium.

My psychiatrist had me doo a specific dna test for MTHFR and supplementing for it has changed my.life!

Oh...october will be b one year since I had an artificial disc, rather than fusion, in my neck at c6. I would do that again in a heart beat. I wish they had a similar surgery for L4,5&6!

It's nice to have this old nerds home here! :-)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

In His hands and Under His wings, Phil 4:13; Is 40:31; Jer 29:11
 Adventurer by choice

Originalpiratematerial, your plan looks great ... I just also feel that it might be a little bit too packed to pull it off every week. First ambition is always like "yeah, I want it and I can do it", but reality check many times tells a slightly different story.

Of course, it all depends on how much time you have to do all this - Scumspawn is right: fitness burnout could happen, and this can be very frustrating. That would be a pity, because you sound so motivated right now, and it just would feel so bad to see all this great motivation disappear, because the plan was a little too tightly packed.

You put a lot of awesome things in your plan, but maybe it might be easier to follow if you do BBWW 3x/ week, on off-days you do pilates (or interval training maybe) , and the weekend is reserved for walks with your sons and/ or to try out a new paleo recipe. Stretching daily should fit in any time, but how about making it your daily "before-bed" routine? Skipping alcohol should be equally easy.

Just a suggestion, since you were asking for input. :)

• Like 1

FLUCTUAT  NEC  MERGITUR

FUELED BY PALEO

Yes good point. :think:

I almost certainly would have one day a week where I did nothing or very little - it might not be the same day each week though. Especially as I will not be going back to doing long runs, which were taking up a lot of my Sundays throughout 2014 and the first couple of months of 2015.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Listen to what your body tells you.  Really.  Not just soreness/aches, but see if you've recovered enough to push again.  I cut back my lifting because I found I'd begin a workout still tired from the last one two days before, so now I put two days between heavy workouts. My current schedule is Monday - Light workout/accessory lifts, Wednesday and Saturday Stronglifts workout A and B respectively.

• Like 3

Listen to what your body tells you.  Really.  Not just soreness/aches, but see if you've recovered enough to push again.  I cut back my lifting because I found I'd begin a workout still tired from the last one two days before, so now I put two days between heavy workouts. My current schedule is Monday - Light workout/accessory lifts, Wednesday and Saturday Stronglifts workout A and B respectively.

I agree, pushing and pushing doesn't always help. I started to have 2 days of rest after a really hard workout and I found I was stronger and had more stamina when I went back to the gym than if I just had one rest day. That's why I'm thinking of having my run and workout on the same day then 2 days off. Just thinking, it's all hypothetical until school starts again and I have some childcare

• Like 1

Progress bars below!

Feb 2016

0%
0%

0%
0%

0%
0%
Life Goal - Self Care
0%
0%

Originalpiratematerial, your plan looks great ... I just also feel that it might be a little bit too packed to pull it off every week. First ambition is always like "yeah, I want it and I can do it", but reality check many times tells a slightly different story.

Of course, it all depends on how much time you have to do all this - Scumspawn is right: fitness burnout could happen, and this can be very frustrating. That would be a pity, because you sound so motivated right now, and it just would feel so bad to see all this great motivation disappear, because the plan was a little too tightly packed.

You put a lot of awesome things in your plan, but maybe it might be easier to follow if you do BBWW 3x/ week, on off-days you do pilates (or interval training maybe) , and the weekend is reserved for walks with your sons and/ or to try out a new paleo recipe. Stretching daily should fit in any time, but how about making it your daily "before-bed" routine? Skipping alcohol should be equally easy.

Just a suggestion, since you were asking for input. :)

Thanks - yes, I really do want input!

Thinking about it more - it's hard for me to ditch the cardio because that, and keeping my weight down, have been such a big part of my life over the last few years! It's like I can't quite bring myself to believe that *just* doing weights and eating properly will be enough!

But otoh I have a bad tendency to become obsessive about exercise, to the point where it becomes mentally unhealthy, so...

Revised plan:

Two strength workouts per week are mixed in with some intervals - this stops me worrying that I'm not doing enough! One strength workout can be purely that, just warm-up, workout and stretch.

Don't stress about walking to work but just aim for a general activity level averaging 10,000 steps a day.

And yy to Pilates, and the weekend suggestion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2