• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Lightning

Lightning Strikes a Chord (with music videos!)

Sounds like some solid fun and success with your goals!! Plus, like Emerald said, warm-up week??? More like fire-up week!

Plus, just like the 'much dancing' notation :)

Week Two is going to be even better!!

• Like 2

Musical Theme for Week Two:

Sugar, We're You're Going Down (Fall Out Boy)

I got on the scale today and am happy to report that the weekend of debauchery did not do any lasting damage.  Still holding on at about 140.  That's given me some real motivation to kick the Sugar Demon in the ass this week.  I desperately want to move that scale and I think beating the Sugar Demon and becoming Master of Water are the keys.  Going completely grain-free would help too, but the extra vegetables I'm also working in are helping me keep grains down.

I came up with a couple of new ideas for my challenge.  Every-other week I'm going to really push myself with the HIIT.  My thought is that it will be easier to give it my all knowing I can ease up just a little the following week. So, this week I plan on doing 3 days of HIIT (for the Assassin Mini) along with my scheduled body weight workouts.  I also decided to switch up my body weight a bit.  I am supposed to do Upper body/Lower Body/Upper body.  But, the HIIT for this week is intensely focused on upper body.  So, I'm going to do two leg and ab days and just one arm and back body weight workout.  

trophy

Earned my bottle Pelligrino sparkling water :)  Drinking it right now.
  • Like 6

Posting my workout because I really, really didn't want to do it.  Was going to split it up and do a few exercises this morning then fill in the rest throughout the day.  Once I got started I kept it going and finished.  Nothing incredible happened, I'm just proud of myself for getting it done.

Leg and Ab Day

Jacks (1min)--- 3 sets

Bulgarian Split Squats w/ 20# KB--- 6/6/6  ouch

Decline Planks--- 60sec x3  (made the decline bigger since it was too easy before)

20# KB Swings---- 18/18/18  more ouch

V Sit-Ups--- 12/12/12

Wall Sits (1min)--- 3 sets

10f68a8a47224a6e74049e2e0cf716fb.jpg

• Like 5

Posting my workout because I really, really didn't want to do it.  Was going to split it up and do a few exercises this morning then fill in the rest throughout the day.  Once I got started I kept it going and finished.  Nothing incredible happened, I'm just proud of myself for getting it done.

You should be - great job!

• Like 2

Soooo, yesterday happened.  

f8a_medium.gif

The day started great.  I did some HIIT for the Assassin Mini and actually enjoyed it this time.  Spent some time working on cosplay things with my son and also looked at the Con schedule together.  Drank all my water by 2:00 which was awesome was on track with my vegetable goal and sugar too.  Then I received some crappy news and I went off the rails.  My daughter and I have been waiting to find out if she would receive funding to take some college classes as part of a new initiative in Ohio.  Being homeschoolers means we had extra hoops to jump through and many deadlines to track.  We did everything asked of us and found out she was denied because they ran out of money.  So, despite getting our ducks in a row and being sure our paperwork was turned in early, we got squat.  Meanwhile, all the public school kids, ALL were fully funded.  Some of them get to take 12 credits for free and we couldn't get a single class.  I should be used to it, because homeschoolers get treated like crap most of the time.  But, I really thought this was a slam dunk.  

Anyhoo-  I got pissed off.  What does Lightning do when she is super angry?  She eats.  Carbs.  Lots of them.  So, I stayed clear of the sugar but scarfed down some bad, bad stuff and played Assassin's Creed until 1 am.  

Today, I skipped my planned workout and spent all day working on cosplay pieces with the kids.  I ate super-clean to try and make up for the binge, drank my water, ate my vegetables and completed all my flexibility.  Gold Star for Lightning today :) 

• Like 1

f8a_medium.gif

The day started great.  I did some HIIT for the Assassin Mini and actually enjoyed it this time.  Spent some time working on cosplay things with my son and also looked at the Con schedule together.  Drank all my water by 2:00 which was awesome was on track with my vegetable goal and sugar too.  Then I received some crappy news and I went off the rails.  My daughter and I have been waiting to find out if she would receive funding to take some college classes as part of a new initiative in Ohio.  Being homeschoolers means we had extra hoops to jump through and many deadlines to track.  We did everything asked of us and found out she was denied because they ran out of money.  So, despite getting our ducks in a row and being sure our paperwork was turned in early, we got squat.  Meanwhile, all the public school kids, ALL were fully funded.  Some of them get to take 12 credits for free and we couldn't get a single class.  I should be used to it, because homeschoolers get treated like crap most of the time.  But, I really thought this was a slam dunk.  

Anyhoo-  I got pissed off.  What does Lightning do when she is super angry?  She eats.  Carbs.  Lots of them.  So, I stayed clear of the sugar but scarfed down some bad, bad stuff and played Assassin's Creed until 1 am.  

Today, I skipped my planned workout and spent all day working on cosplay pieces with the kids.  I ate super-clean to try and make up for the binge, drank my water, ate my vegetables and completed all my flexibility.  Gold Star for Lightning today :)

That's one reason why I didn't take college classes until college. When I was homeschooled, there were no schools that would allow me to participate in extracurricular activities. Now there are plenty of schools that do that. Congrats on eating good today!

• Like 2

That's one reason why I didn't take college classes until college. When I was homeschooled, there were no schools that would allow me to participate in extracurricular activities. Now there are plenty of schools that do that. Congrats on eating good today!

First, I love all the homeschoolers and homeschool families on NF! Another reason for me to <3 NF. My daughter can still take classes which is good, we just have to fork over the cash. she is ready for the challenge and very excited about her class choices so she will still get to go. Just an expense we thought was covered. Grrrrr. Think I need to do some HIIT with kick boxing and get this out of my system.

• Like 3

So kids, what have we learned so far....

THE GOOD

Water helps me with my snacking. Like helps a lot.

The longer I avoid sugar the easier it is for me to continue to stay away from the demon.

THE LESS GOOD

The scale is nothing but a de-motivator. This challenge is about maintaining my motivation for the scale is BANNED for the remainder of this challenge.

being grain-free is not as automatic as I thought. I will have to add a No-Grains component to the rest of this challenge.

• Like 3

First, I love all the homeschoolers and homeschool families on NF! Another reason for me to <3 NF. My daughter can still take classes which is good, we just have to fork over the cash. she is ready for the challenge and very excited about her class choices so she will still get to go. Just an expense we thought was covered. Grrrrr. Think I need to do some HIIT with kick boxing and get this out of my system.

Ja, it sucks when you think you have everything in line and this type of thing happens... Glad your daughter can still attend. Isn't there a second trimester or something where she can apply again for funding? You definitely need to get rid of these angry feelings with some kick boxing or such, before you scream the house down like I did ;)

So kids, what have we learned so far....

THE GOOD

Water helps me with my snacking. Like helps a lot.

The longer I avoid sugar the easier it is for me to continue to stay away from the demon.

THE LESS GOOD

The scale is nothing but a de-motivator. This challenge is about maintaining my motivation for the scale is BANNED for the remainder of this challenge.

being grain-free is not as automatic as I thought. I will have to add a No-Grains component to the rest of this challenge.

Water also helps me to cut down on snacking. That and coffee, but now I've managed to cut down on coffee during the day and grab my water bottle. I'm also thinking of staying away from the scale, because my clothes tell me I've lost something because they sit looser, then the scale tells me I've picked up! Going without grains if you are used to them is super hard. We are doing the grains yo-yo for the last 3-4 years.

• Like 1

Yes to everything you said. I yo-yo the grains as well. I do great for awhile then they creep back in over the holidays or vacation. And yup, my coffee consumption is down too.

• Like 1

I love meeting other homeschoolers in general. I grew up in a town where my parents were one of 3 families that homeschooled their kids. I'm glad that she's able to go! :) I couldn't get up early enough to make it to any of the college classes that would have took me. 

• Like 2

As a teacher, I have a LOT of respect for homeschool families.  I love my job, but I get that some families make thoughtful choices that work for them.  I am very supportive of families doing what is best for them, and it angers me when homeschooled kids are given the short end of the stick.  I've seen it, too.  :-(

(I hate to admit it, but I am in the minority among my teacher friends, though.  I am usually the one arguing the benefits of homeschooling.  I think many teachers in my experience have a knee jerk reaction against it - I don't really know why.) 

Oh, and yes, the scale is a de-motivating demon spawn.  Let's take a sledgehammer to it. 

img_0359-500x375c.jpg

• Like 2

As a teacher, I have a LOT of respect for homeschool families.  I love my job, but I get that some families make thoughtful choices that work for them.  I am very supportive of families doing what is best for them, and it angers me when homeschooled kids are given the short end of the stick.  I've seen it, too.  :-(

(I hate to admit it, but I am in the minority among my teacher friends, though.  I am usually the one arguing the benefits of homeschooling.  I think many teachers in my experience have a knee jerk reaction against it - I don't really know why.) 

Oh, and yes, the scale is a de-motivating demon spawn.  Let's take a sledgehammer to it. 

img_0359-500x375c.jpg

Niiiiice pic. I'm definitely putting the evil beast in the closet for the rest of this challenge.

I understand why some teachers would dislike homeschoolers. They think by homeschooling I M saying I can do a better job thN them. I'm really just saying I know what s best for my kids and school may or may not be the answer, my daughter could have stayed in school and been fine. My Son is cut from a different cloth. I really feel like homeschool was the only choice.

• Like 2

f8a_medium.gif

That sucks. In WA, all my son's community college classes were free(as they are for all highschoolers in the program). And we really didn't have any extra hoops to jump through even though we homeschooled. Good for you for not having 2 days in a row of bad eating and for not going for the sugar.

• Like 2

My mom's a teacher too! She's retired now, but she was working as a teacher when I was homeschooled. She gave my grandparents my assignments and lesson plans, they made sure I did what I was supposed to.

• Like 1

Week 2 Winning Wrap-Up!!

Ok, mistakes were made but in terms of the challenge it was all WIN.

3048ececfcb9d683ac09724f2631ad425cea6e8b

This challenge is about motivation and this week was a good test.  Monday I hit on everything but by Tuesday the letdown from the fun weekend hit me and I lost my fire. It wasn't a scheduled workout day, but I told myself I would do a bunch of HIIT for the Assassin mini this week and I had plenty of time to get it done that day. So, I pushed through and did my workout although I never really "got into" it.  Still, it was a good day.  Wednesday I really, really didn't want to do my body weight work out.  I snooped around NF (Assassin-style) and found some motivating threads that helped me get off my butt and complete all my exercises.  Thursday was a Mad at the World kind of day.  Some bad choices were made but I still completed all my goals and kept within my sugar limits. :)  i also learned that the scale is a de-motivator and decided to ban it from the rest of this challenge. Friday I stayed busy with the kids and took an unscheduled rest day.  So.... Saturday was a double workout day to make up for the break.  Body weight and paddle boarding.  Both were awesome.

Here is the simple breakdown...

ch4_2.png

Workouts 3/3

Water 7/7

Sugar 6/7

Fregetable 7/7

Assassin Mini (Lots)

Assassin Ambassador (Yes!)

Flexiblity (maybe a little low but still on target)

Life Goal (Fun)  Paddle boarding super-happy fun-time!

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 5

You can do it Lightning! You are also a Tenacity Queen!

I was going to throw out the scale, but then started with the Banting Challenge this week, to check my food, weight, etc. and they want you to measure every morning, after loo, before getting dressed, having coffee, etc. so I have to weigh and then fill in on the website. BUT it made me realise with a shock this morning that I have been coming down in grams this past week. I just looked at the big number 87kg, while the decimal following it was decreasing, and this morning I was back to my starting weight of 86kg from two weeks ago! Sjoe! I was so relieved! Not much, but it is moving in the right direction, which motivates me some.

We all have our reasons for choosing home schooling. Here in South Africa it isn't any different. Our starting reasons are totally different from our current reasons. Now we wouldn't change our lifestyle for anything! We love being with the boys, love seeing things through their eyes, discovering things anew, learning with them. It has really brought us as a family a lot closer. I won't change it for anything in the world!

• Like 4

Hanging on this week. Sunday I gave in to some homemade banana bread but everything else was good. Added some HIIT that day so that was a plus. Monday was too busy for anything. The sugar from the day before gave me some big cravings but I avoided eating sweets. On Tuesday I did the workout I should have done Monday. Going to get my lower body workout in today or do something for the Assassin mini.

My brain is focused on the Anime convention the kids and I are going to this weekend. I have a lot to do/finish before we leave and I'm just really excited. We had friends over on Monday to watch anime and work on our cosplays. Tuesday we ran around getting last-minute supplies and today should be the day we complete all the costumes. Thursday is packing and getting the house ready before we leave. Here is an AMV of one of my favorite animes, Black Cat.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IKYPpWsJmRY

• Like 4