• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

SymphonicDan

SymphonicDan - caught in action! [level 12]

Made me think of this (hope you dont mind me sharing)

Ah, yes it's so much harder to do muscle-ups slowly like this! You need the strength throughout the range of motion rather than just at strategic points  - same as pull-ups and push-ups and pretty much any dynamic strength movement!

You seem to have spent your whole day falling backwards  :lol:

Congrats for those amazing declined push-ups! 

Yesss, headstand/handstand push-ups incoming!

Can't wait to see the hopak dancing :)

Wow on the steep decline push ups!!

I'm skeptical that I have the strength but I'd like to give it a go :)

Goal #1: keep training: today I had a big sushi-making night with some friends, and didn't have time to do training even though I was really in the mood for it :o Still, the sushi-making was good!

Yesterday I didn't update because I needed to sleep - but I did a big session of lever training with my gymnastics rings. I'm getting slowly stronger with front levers and will soon be able to work on variations with straighter body.

My plan tomorrow is to do lots of cool training elements, although not yet sure which ones. I've only done 5 elements so far this week (target is 16) which is low, but I suppose I've been tired and I've had mostly very good training sessions. Very focused and productive.

• Like 2

When are you not focused and productive? ;)

Best of luck with hopak dancing! It will be impressive when you can do that!

Serious answer - every couple of weeks I'll get exhausted and stop being productive and end up just wasting a few days... I try to stop myself from crashing like this but I have only so much ability to affect it. Frustrating... Otherwise yes, I'm often fully-booked from Sunday evening through the week until Saturday midday, and that's even though my job is quite reasonable in terms of hours.

I'd be shocked if you couldn't manage at least a partial ROM HSPU.  

I just tried a weird decline one against the wall but sisn't really know what I was going and my feet had too much friction against the wall... I'll try again another time but properly :)

Today: I had grand plans of doing lots of sports things, and made a list. I ended up doing completely different sports things to what was on my list, but it was good all the same :)

Goal #2: collect videos: today was a sunny day, and so perfect opportunity for taking some videos of some basic rings stuff. At the park, some kids came to ask about the rings and they played for a while doing "backflips" on it (skin the cat then letting go) which seems to be what all the kids want to do on it. Then I suggested they try support hold, and while some of them (understandably) lacked the strength to hold ring support at all, one of the girls - only 9 years old - held it for 34 seconds :o Maybe more because I tend to count too slowly. So yay for more kids getting involved in interesting sport at whatever age.

Anyway, I wanted some videos of me, and don't have a tripod stand, but the kids were very keen to help film me, so I got the 4 of them doing a competition of who could hold the camera the most steady when filming me doing rings stuff haha. Some things I noticed:

• my iron cross is much better than I thought - I get down to 40 degrees (need about 90 degrees for a true iron cross)
  • my shoulders look super crazy when in a deep German hang (I had my shirt off...) - it looks impossible but feels quite comfortable
  • my arecher dips really aren't that low
  • any twisting stuff on the rings looks untidy and unimpressive even though it's actually quite hard

I also remembered that last week I got a decent front lever video, so actually I've passed both weeks so far :)

Goal #4: adulting: I've now got a choice of two excellent rooms to move into, and if everything goes okay, on Wednesday I'll get to know which one I'm getting (maybe I get a choice). I've been lazy with sorting out holidays though... I really should get back on that tomorrow!

Goal #1: keep training: three things today :)

• archer ring rows: new PR on my left hand of 9 - and did various sets including some 1-arm rows
  • **new** elbow lever: since Mad Hatter has been working on these, I tried them out to see what the fuss is about - turns out I can do them fine off the armrest of my sofa (the same solid one that broke my toe) because my legs trail down to keep my centre of mass above my hands. If I try to straighten them then it feels like I'm starting to planche my forearms which takes insane strength,.... and I don't see it happening. @Mad%20Hatter, any idea whether I'm approaching it the right way?
  • explosive push-ups: tried out some superman push-ups just to get the feel of them (harder than I expected!) and did various other explosive push-ups for practice. Big win however was my first 1-armed push-up variation! I've never been able to do any sort of 1-arm push-up before, but I realised that it's because I'm keeping my pushing hand far too central (like a 1-arm diamond push-up) which takes too much strength - even on my knees. If I put my hand in its normal place however, then I fall over to the other side. The solution was actually to hold an extra 2.3kg (5#) weight in my other hand, which rested on my back with the weight on the pushing side of my body... then even with the extra weight I could just about handle it. I'm a long way from a real 1-am push-up though, it seems...

Goal #3: sleep early: oops (4/7 so far)

• Like 1

Hmm not sure. Yes you do have to planche once you get the legs up but not a crazy amount (like the picture). Could it be that you're collapsing on top of your elbows? You need to counteract the forward lean by pushing up from your shoulders. It could also be hand positioning, they need be as close to the hips as possible.

Elevated-Double-Arm-Lever.jpg

Another thing , have you tried doing them on the floor or on parallettes? It might be easier to find the correct position that way as you're almost in the correct position from the beginning. 

• Like 1

Hmm not sure. Yes you do have to planche once you get the legs up but not a crazy amount (like the picture). Could it be that you're collapsing on top of your elbows? You need to counteract the forward lean by pushing up from your shoulders. It could also be hand positioning, they need be as close to the hips as possible.

Another thing , have you tried doing them on the floor or on parallettes? It might be easier to find the correct position that way as you're almost in the correct position from the beginning. 

Thanks for the advice :) I'll compare my version to the guy in your picture and see whether I'm doing anything fundamentally wrong - maybe one of the things you've described. In particular  I'm not sure I'm "pushing from my shoulders"...

I've tried them on the floor and on parallettes with limited success... but just the once so probably I should try again.

Today: slackline times in the park, followed my climbing until my arms gave in completely (which wasn't very long, given all the extra stuff I've been doing recently lol). Climbing routes were all new and shiny - I could do the 5+ routes fine, but none of the 6a routes, but there are several I was close to, and I'll try them another time when I'm maybe fresher!

Goal #1: keep training:

• slacklining: had a solid session on this today - I don't think I actually managed to walk the whole way across but that's because I was predominantly working on harder variations, with my hands held together above my head (quite hard), with my hands held together behind my back (very hard) and walking backwards (similar to forwards walking, but you need to get used to the technique of rocking backwards rather than fowards).
  • handstand walking: tried walking forwards today, and managed to get about 2 metres with varying degrees of control... and 50% was controlled steps where I knock myself off balance and then take two steps. The other 50% was just stumbling forwards like an avalance of limbs :P
  • Like 2

I think you should try learning the elbow levers on the floor, rather than on something elevated.  The elevated surface lets you lean in and find a balance point without actually engaging your core properly.  If you're on the ground, you're not going to succeed at getting your legs off of the ground without pulling strongly through your core.  When I do these, the arm and wrist strain isn't really any greater than any other legs-extended type of arm balance.  Your arms should make a nice shelf which supports your torso, but other than that, you shouldn't really be pushing.  

If you need a good step by step, I know that GMB has a nice tutorial.  

• Like 1

I didn't have transport to gymnastics (I could've been insane and made the 35-mile (56-km) round trip by bike but lol no) so I did hand balancing in the park instead:

Goal #1: keep training:

I think you should try learning the elbow levers on the floor, rather than on something elevated.  The elevated surface lets you lean in and find a balance point without actually engaging your core properly.  If you're on the ground, you're not going to succeed at getting your legs off of the ground without pulling strongly through your core.  When I do these, the arm and wrist strain isn't really any greater than any other legs-extended type of arm balance.  Your arms should make a nice shelf which supports your torso, but other than that, you shouldn't really be pushing.  

If you need a good step by step, I know that GMB has a nice tutorial.  

Agreed with the floor elbow levers! 

So I tried the elbow levers on the floor like this, and I sort of got the feeling for it, but it is so hard getting into the correct position in the first place :o And it's super stressful on the wrists (with my fingers pointing towards my toes, which seems the most natural direction). I think I will look at a tutorial and see what I'm missing. I find it easiest to learn things by trial and error, but if I'm not getting anywhere with that, then it's definitely tutorial time :)

Also did lots of freestanding handstands but they weren't very good. Meh. My biggest problem is kicking up to a sensible body line although I go through periods of managing it fine. Had more success with handstand walking, where I can quite reliable walk a couple of metres forwards and under control. Beat my handstand PR in the process to 11.5 seconds. I get the hang of this pretty well, and I can basically walk indefinitely until I underbalance too hard (usually by straightening my body line) and then can't adjust my hands fast enough, and I come down the way I came... which tells me a lot about what I need to work on!

Spanish: also practised Spanish with NerdFitness' own Talvi, for the first time in months, so that was good. I still have my fluency, but I'm lacking vocabulary, so it feels like I'm trying to describe everything in convoluted ways to circumvent my forgotten vocabulary. Still, this puts me in a good place for next time I want to spend some time improving my español :)

• Like 1

I have to keep my fingers turned out to the side rather than towards my toes and that works pretty well. 

Wish I had advice on the handstands, kicking up consistency and with a good line is super difficult for me. I've been experimenting with different cues (straight legs, toes to the ceiling etc) with various degrees of success, but overall it's meh. :)

• Like 1

I have to keep my fingers turned out to the side rather than towards my toes and that works pretty well.

Thanks for the tip - I tried it today, in conjunction with advice from another gymnast (who agreed about the hand placement) and it felt okay but some of my hip muscles were cramping so I didn't experiment too much.

Wish I had advice on the handstands, kicking up consistency and with a good line is super difficult for me. I've been experimenting with different cues (straight legs, toes to the ceiling etc) with various degrees of success, but overall it's meh.  :)

Ahh, handstands are fickle... one day you've almost solved them, and the next you're like a jenga tower in a hurricane....

Goal #1: keep training: Today I went to gymnastics - and stayed behind afterwards to work on hand balancing while the cheerleaders were busy doing something complicated. My frontflips were bad and my backflips were absolutely terrible, so I didnt force any work on those.

• handstands against the wall and freestanding handstands did happen in large quantities, and I really felt I made good improvements today. The wall handstands never feel quite right but I spent lots of time today upside-down working on body line, pushing through the shoulders, and using my hands to correct my balance. Some useful cues I learnt today:
  • push down through the shoulders harder (haven't seen this be helpful but is something I should experiment with)
  • if about to fall back onto the feet, planche slightly (look further through the arms) and arch - usually I simply arch and that just doesn't work
  • easiest to balance if slightly overbalancing the whole time - in fact while trying this out today I might've beaten my freestanding handstand PR (not sure). If I get better at correcting an underbalance (see previous bullet point) then this might no longer be true.
  • train for a more solid line by lying completely flat on ym back and flushing the back to the ground
  • hopak dance - cossak squats: tried today with my heel touching the ground (rather than raised, like in a pistol squat) and it's much easier for strength, and slightly easier for balance. Did more practice of both variations, and some extra one-leg cossack balances to trainthe stability
  • Like 1

For the front levers, your wrists will eventually gain the flexibility they need to handle the load with the fingers pointing back.  It just takes awhile.  One other way you could practice them is to use a parallette, but still pick up from the ground, using your core.  That should still give proper alignment while taking some of the strain off of your wrists.  

Hm.. For handstands, I seem to have a similar problem.  I can correct an overbalance reasonably well.  If I'm under balanced, I can feel that I'm very slowly falling, but I don't feel like there's really anything I can do to correct it.  Handstands are so frustrating.  

• Like 2

For the front levers, your wrists will eventually gain the flexibility they need to handle the load with the fingers pointing back.  It just takes awhile.  One other way you could practice them is to use a parallette, but still pick up from the ground, using your core.  That should still give proper alignment while taking some of the strain off of your wrists.

Thanks for the advice - I've noted that in my notebook for next time I'm working on elbow levers :)

Goal #1: keep training: today my grip was completely shot (maybe something to do with the handstands and elbow levers earlier this week, on top of a very active weekend. Anyway, I wanted to do something active and my friend wanted to do rings, so I took them out and had a long session working on levers since they don't require as much grip strength as pull-ups or muscle-ups that I would've worked on otherwise. I did a few sets of 5 of various sorts of tucked lever, and almost managed a Manx front lever with my trainers on (extra weight) which is the hardest variation I've had success with, so yay for that :)

I find back levers a lot harder though (even though they're supposed to be easier). Might be because I've practised them less, or it might be that they're easier if I switch my grip to the correct way (although it's stressful for the bicep tendons). My bicep tendon is much stronger now though - I did some back lever hangs in that position today without problems.

Tomorrow: football times, then I'll see how active I'm feeling...

Goal #3: sleep early: yet again, I'm failing this with only 6/11 early nights. Not feeling tired at the moment, but still I'd be better if I gave myself the opportunity to sleep for 8 hours every night.

Ahh, had football (soccer) yesterday, and picked up two injuries! :( First was in goal, making a rather solid save with my left hand, which hyperextended my elbow, and now anything involving my grip - like picking up objects - really hurts one of the elbow tendons. Second was a few minutes later when I twisted my ankle, and the tendon for some muscle at the outside of the shin is very painful.

Both injuries are worse today than last night... From experience, the ankle will probably recover in a few days' time, but not sure about the elbow. I'm going to take care of them and hope for the best!

Goal #1: keep training / Goal #2: collect videos: unfortunately this means that I'm unable to do anything involving my lower or upper body - even handstands but possibly excepting pull-ups and push-ups. In any case I'll have to take it easy for the next few days. Also this highlights that I should be taking videos as early as possible - one of the reasons was that I wanted some videos already in case I got injured, and here I am injured but with only a handful of videos for the training sampler.

Goal #3: sleep early: 7/12 days so far - currently heading for grade D- ahh

Goal #4: adulting: finally I have a new place confirmed for me to move into at the end of the month :) That's one more thing off my mind, plus the room is a lot nicer than my current litle box...

Oh no.  Rest and ice those injuries, and hopefully they won't keep you out of commission for too long.  I guess you could look at it as an opportunity to work on the sleep and adulting goals.  :)  

• Like 1

Oh-oh. Take care. Elbow is delicate, take special care of it.

Booooo, hope the injuries heal quickly! We can't have you out of commission. :(

Oh no.  Rest and ice those injuries, and hopefully they won't keep you out of commission for too long.  I guess you could look at it as an opportunity to work on the sleep and adulting goals.   :)

Thanks - both injuries are feeling much better today :) I definitely felt the benefit from the ice, although really I should've done that on Friday evening rather than Saturday morning... My elbow is certainly not good enough for gymnastics or hand-balancing yet, but some other stuff like push-ups may be fine... I might experiment later.

Goal #3: sleep early: lol, I intended on catching up with this but in fact ended up chatting with my housemate for ages before we realised how late it had gotten :o 8/1 so far - grade D+ and should be possible to push this to a grade C or grade B.

• Like 2

All the injuries i've heard of lately were caused by soccer! Clearly this is not a coincidence :tongue:

Hope you heal fast!

I've noticed the same - clearly I should quit football and do safer things like backflips :P Both injuries seem to have mostly recovered now - enough that I decided to be foolhardy and take my rings our for a hang:

Goal #1: keep training: three things today, taking my total for the week to 10, which is grade C and reasonably good given that I was out-of-action on Friday and Saturday .

• muscle-ups: looks like my training last week has really helped - I had a 56% success rate with muscle-up attempts last week, and this week I wasn't counting but it must've been 90+% and the single failure was when I was experimenting with some aspect of technique. The muscle-ups still look like I'm throwing myself into the bottom of the dip, catching myself and pushing up from an extreme dip, but there's more control now.
  • levers: good session of front and back levers, focusing on keeping my back arched rather than rounded. I wasn't as strong today, but that might've been because straightening the back makes it considerably harder. Also for back levers I'm now using the proper grip and my bicep tendon is tolerating it just fine :)
  • hopak jumps: basically cheerleading jumps but without the 5-6-7-8 counting haha. Really wasn't springy today - again :( Did some sets of pike jumps with/without a run-up. Helps if I dig down deeper and look up as I jump.

Goal #2: collect videos: got some decent videos of muscle-ups, levers and some 1-arm lock-offs. I hope to get some better ones, but it's good to have something useable already.

Overall, a good week :) Looking forward to the next one....

• Like 1