• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

I have the same problem with pushing myself, ElemHH. That was part of the point of the push-up quest this challenge. I always think that I'll start increasing when I can do 3 sets of the BBWW with no rest (or whatever the current thing is). I have to keep reminding myself that I don't have to be doing everything perfectly to try to increase the individual parts.

Congratulations on increasing your reps!

Yep, so true! I always tell myself as long as I can do some reps with a good form it's fine to try something more challenging... and then I come up with a new excuse. :D It's great you're both doing this now! I think I should definitely aim a bit higher there as well. 

• Like 3

Yep, so true! I always tell myself as long as I can do some reps with a good form it's fine to try something more challenging... and then I come up with a new excuse. :D It's great you're both doing this now! I think I should definitely aim a bit higher there as well. 

Yes, join us. Come and drink the push-up coolaid.

Friday

Woke up early and went running (as covered in my last update Friday am)

Walked home (2.85 miles)

Werewolf

I was going to do my werewolf course as soon as I got home, but we were waiting to some workers to come to our apartment, so I put off the session.

I sat in the couch and started to feel exhausted, I fell asleep around 5pm and slept until 6:30ish. After waking up I had to go out for our weekly grocery shopping, so decided not to do the werewolf course that day, but do it Saturday instead.

The course is designed to be done Monday-Friday with the weekends off. I decided to split my rest this week and workout Saturday with Sunday off.

Blade

9 pull-ups

52 push-ups

Frog Brothers

294 words

Van Helsing

I ordered a Disney song fake book, I;m still hoping I can pick up some tunes as I am learning the notes/chords. I also printed off a page of sheet music and wrote out the notes for me to practice from.

Buffy

I did a one minute hamstring stretch while at work, but other than that managed to forget about stretching until just before bed.

Because There is a lot of stretch work in my werewolf course and I often update them both at the same time I just thought I would do them Saturday, I forgot that the plan was to work on my stretches daily.

So before I could go to bed I did 15 minutes of hamstring and hip stretches, plus a couple of minutes of wrist work.

Saturday

My wife and I decided to go out for breakfast, then on to the cinema to see Trainwreck (it was much funnier than I was expecting). At breakfast I had eggs Benedict with a side order of bacon. My wife had bacon pancakes and I ate two of those too. I was stuffed. When we got back I worked out my calories, based on their menu and found that it was 1,195 (my daily allowance on lose it is only 1.656). It turned out that I didn't need to feel bad though, I stayed full most of the day and didn't eat another meal after that (I wasn't starving myself, just had no desire to eat). I snacked on cherries, turkey slices and yogurt, but that was it, I ended my day only 41 calories over the lose it limit and that is before I knock off the calories burned through exercise.

After the food had gone down enough for me to feel ok being active, I went out for my 5 mile walk. My gps measured it as 5 miles exactly.

Werewolves

When I got back from my walk, I cooled down a little, then went into my in-home parkour fitness course. It was very heavy on quadrilateral movement and squats. The moves all seemed simple on their own, but put together into an almost 40 minute routine left me out of breath, covered in sweat and in no doubt that I had worked out.

Blade

There were no bodyweight requirements on me.

Van Helsing

It was getting late when I started to practice and the keyboard is so loud, even at the lowest volume setting. I practiced for a couple of minutes, before switching the keyboard off and continuing the practice with no noise, just practicing hitting the keys and getting the timing.

Frog Brothers

266 words

Buffy

The last five minutes of my werewolf course was stretches. I did another twelve minutes of hip and hamstring stretches.

I measured my middle splits. I have gone from 46cm from the ground to 40cm.

Sunday

Today is my official weigh in, my current readings are:

Weight 194.6lb (lost 2.4lb this week)

Body fat % 23.2

Water % 56.2

Muscle % 39.9

I walked this morning before it got hot. I called home to my dad in England while walking, which seemed to mess up my gps recordings. It recorded 5.17 miles, I know that is wrong, so I will log today as 5.0 miles.

I had planned on today being a rest day, but a Tribble killing mini mission came up requiring alots of reps of a push-up form that you find challenging. I've done 100 uneven push-ups so far and will probably do more later too.

I usually update my Lord of the rings walk on Sundays, but forgot last week, so will have to total the last 2 weeks today.

Lotr walk (43.9 miles this week)

Hobbiton to Rivendell 217.3 miles of 458

47.4%
47.4%

Location = Day 13 (25 miles past Bree) “Frost. Very clear. Can see crumbled ruins on Hills ahead.â€

I think I messed up the walk by not logging every time I walked home from work, I need to make sure I log all of my miles, because I can't accurately remember them when I update my Lotr walk a week later.

tumblr_mau5raxnj11rrzx66o1_500.jpg

• Like 6

The push-up koolaid! I like that!

It looks like you've had a great first week! You started off with some of your quests interfering with one another, but you got it straightened out and ran with it. You're making great progress!

And I don't know exactly what bacon pancakes are, but I think I need some!

• Like 4

Great Week 1.  I hate rooting against my man Blade, but just for you... :)

Nice job on the weight loss success also, even after the 'bacon pancakes'.

• Like 1

Hi! I'm following and caught up.

Gallbladder related tummy attacks are no joke! I'm so happy you felt better in time for the challenge. And you are totally kicking butt. Buffy is all going to be like whining "My boyfriend and I are so, like, tragic!" and you're gonna swoop in and "crunch"!

:D

• Like 3

The push-up koolaid! I like that!

It looks like you've had a great first week! You started off with some of your quests interfering with one another, but you got it straightened out and ran with it. You're making great progress!

And I don't know exactly what bacon pancakes are, but I think I need some!

Thanks, the fitness ones seem to be working fine now (fingers crossed)

Great Week 1.  I hate rooting against my man Blade, but just for you... :)

Nice job on the weight loss success also, even after the 'bacon pancakes'.

Thanks for teh support in my Blade fight, he gave me quite a beating this week if it is any consolation.

That parkour course sounds fun. You definitely killed it this weekend. Or rather... slayed it. ;)

There are parts of the course that are fun, but for most of it I am too busy sweating and panting to enjoy it. I think I will enjoy my second time through more, when I am able to perform better and see the improvements I've made.

Awesome first week indeed! :)

How warm is too warm? 

Thanks. I'm English with a Scottish father, so I am not built for any kind of heat. I prefer a nice chilly fall day. I always say that you can put more clothes on, but there is only so much you can take off.

Hi! I'm following and caught up.

Gallbladder related tummy attacks are no joke! I'm so happy you felt better in time for the challenge. And you are totally kicking butt. Buffy is all going to be like whining "My boyfriend and I are so, like, tragic!" and you're gonna swoop in and "crunch"!

:D

That sounds just like Buffy, she has terrible lucj with men and is very whiney.

I have stopped by your thread before, I'll try to catch up on with it this week (so far I have been struggling to keep up with everyone, must try harder)

Sunday cont.

I ended up doing 3 sets of 50 uneven push-ups for the Tribble killing mini (and this on a rest day).

Werewolves & Blade

I didn't have any requirements to do either of these.

Buffy

Hip and hamstring stretches (15 minutes)

Van Helsing

Once again it felt too late to switch on the keyboard, so I practiced the keystrokes with the keyboard off.

Frog Brothers

266 words

Monday

I was woke up 10 minutes before my alarm was due to go off by a very loud thunderstorm. I decided that I didn't want to run it it, so reset my alarm for 7am and went back to sleep.

I can't make up for the run Tuesday morning as I have to go into work early, so my first run of the week will be Wednesday, the second will be Friday.

Werewolves

Today was the first hard session of the week.

It was definitely hard, while doing a seemingly never ending circuit, I took to calling out to the laptop “I hate you, I hate you little ginger man, I hate you†I guess you could say they pushed me today.

The session was heavy on squats and push-ups, which messes with both of my blade training days.

Blade

As mentioned above, I did lots of push-up and squat work during the werewolf course. I decided that I would count push-ups and squats done for the start of the week, which means that tomorrow I will have to do pull-ups and sit-ups.

A couple of hours later I did do another set of 50 uneven push-ups (25 each arm) to finish off the Tribble mini.

Van Helsing

My Disney fake book arrived today, but I didn't use it. I have officially given up on my keyboard challenge, I just hate playing it.

I liked playing the keyboard when I was a kid and think I would still like it as an adult, I just hate the one I got. I picked up a cheap one so I wouldn't waste much money if it didn't work out. But now I wish I had spent a little more to get a better one on ebay.

The volume is so loud, even at the lowest setting that I feel like I am disturbing everyone when I want to try playing (especially as I usually want to play after 10pm).

The fact that the headphone jack doesn't work is another bad point, I want to hear the notes I'm playing so I can learn the rhythm, but feel self conscious playing since it is loud enough for everyone to hear.

This is a goal I still have for the future, but for now I'll have to mark this quest as a fail.

Van Helsing got the better of me, he threw up a makeshift crucifix and ran off as I cowered.

gallery_11473_1954_4910.jpg

It's hard to be sad or annoyed about Van Helsing escaping death when you imagine him as the Peter Cushing version.

Buffy

4 minutes of stretches at the end of the Werewolf course.

28 minutes of hip and hamstring stretches later on.

Frog Brothers

221 words

Week one summary

My Van Helsing (keyboard) quest had been problematic for me all week. I'm a little disappointed to be giving it up, but it wasn't working for me, so it had to go.

Fortunately, I designed my challenge with a little more flexibility that my last one. If I faltered at all during the last challenge, the whole thing was a fail. This time each quest is independent of the others, so I can fail one, but pass the remaining 5, only sacrificing the stat points from the one quest.

Everything else went well, I started off with some trouble with my body weight strength quest, but after taking some advice from people here, have given myself some flexibility to work on them without over training.

The week one slayer fight was always meant to be Blade. He fought back hard during much of the week, but finally making the decision to push myself during the exercises allowed me to perform each a little better than I had before.

For this fight I have knocked Blade down, but he's not dead yet. I need to stay on track with my exercises in order to land the killing blow, but for now I am moving on to my next opponent, Buffy.

gallery_11473_1954_133076.jpg

gallery_11473_1954_68894.jpg

• Like 5

Dont+Be+Ashamed+of+Trying+to+Exercise.jp

Edit I posted this because my thread wouldn't let me post any images (I kept getting an extension error). I wanted to see if it would work in a separate post. It worked and now my original post is letting me post pics.

• Like 3

You know, you could probably replace your keyboard challenge with something else. There's still five weeks to go in the challenge, that's plenty of time (or not). :)

Looks like you're doing well otherwise! Keep up the awesome work!

• Like 2

Nice Week 1 summery.

Your 'Intelligence' quest was "Learning a new skill will be my intelligence quest", the low quality keyboard is a bump in the road.  Maybe you can find something else new to learn?  Or try a keyboarding app until you can find a keyboard more to your liking.  Craigslist may be your friend here :)

I also couldn't post images for a while, kept getting errors.

• Like 3

Hey yoga buddy! I am finally getting caught up on everyone's challenge. I like the vampire theme, very unique. I will second everyone who says there are still 5 weeks, plenty of time for a different quest if you want one. Keep up the good work and dont be too hard on yourself.

• Like 1

I think recognizing that one of your quests isn't working is much better than spending the entire 6 weeks trying to make it work when it isn't. And you definitely have time to change it to something else if you want.

• Like 3

You are just rocking this challenge! I agree with the others, feel free to change your keyboard goal to something you think you'll enjoy more! There are so many hobbies in the world, maybe you'll just have to catch try them all (pokemon style)  :D

• Like 4

You know, you could probably replace your keyboard challenge with something else. There's still five weeks to go in the challenge, that's plenty of time (or not). :)

Looks like you're doing well otherwise! Keep up the awesome work!

Nice Week 1 summery.

Your 'Intelligence' quest was "Learning a new skill will be my intelligence quest", the low quality keyboard is a bump in the road.  Maybe you can find something else new to learn?  Or try a keyboarding app until you can find a keyboard more to your liking.  Craigslist may be your friend here :)

I also couldn't post images for a while, kept getting errors.

Hey yoga buddy! I am finally getting caught up on everyone's challenge. I like the vampire theme, very unique. I will second everyone who says there are still 5 weeks, plenty of time for a different quest if you want one. Keep up the good work and dont be too hard on yourself.

I think recognizing that one of your quests isn't working is much better than spending the entire 6 weeks trying to make it work when it isn't. And you definitely have time to change it to something else if you want.

You are just rocking this challenge! I agree with the others, feel free to change your keyboard goal to something you think you'll enjoy more! There are so many hobbies in the world, maybe you'll just have to catch try them all (pokemon style)  :D

Thank you all for the encouragement to pick up a new task to replace the keyboard. Unfortunately my faulty brain won't let me do that, it's day one or nothing as far as my mind is concerned. I can see that that is faulty thinking, no point putting off aquiring a new skill for 6 or 7 weeks (whenever the next challenge starts), I should get started now. But that isn't how my mind is wired, maybe a future quest item will be to try to reprogram my mind a little.

I think I will take all of your advice, and keep working on learning new things, it just won't count towards my points allocation at the end as i already failed that quest.

I'm staying optimistic though, the bright side is that I had 6 quests, which was probably a little too ambitious. Now that the new quest isn't part of my official challange, it means I only need to do it when I have the time and feel like it, rather than making myself do it every day (My tattoo).

I plan on trying a new language again. I think I'll pick up one of my language courses that I did a few days of and never carried on with (German or Japanese. I have a Cantonese one too, but don't feel like that right now).

Tuesday

Raziel – Soul Reaver (Calorie counting)

I don't usually bother posting a summary of my calories as thay are normally fine. Yesterday I ate a little more at work and also stayed late (almost 3 hours). So I got a ride home rather than walking.

By the time I ate dinner I was around 300 calories over my apps daily goal for me and around 150 calories over my own 1,800 calorie daily goal.

I decided to go out walking to burn off a little and put my final calorie total for the day back under the limits.

While out walking I noticed that it was warm, but not hot and that the sun wasn’t in view. So I decided to run the last 2.5 miles of my walk, that way I wouldn't have to get up at 5amon my day off.

The run went well, I felt a little slower than I had before, but was consistent and felt like I could have kept the same pace going for longer if I had to.

Walked – 2.59 miles – 37min 30 sec – 4.14mph (The extra distance today was from taking the trash when heading out)

Ran – 2.53 miles – 22min 19 sec – 6.80mph

My pattern so far has been that every time I extend the distance of my runs, my speed drops and builds again over the next two weeks until it is better than it was before. This time my speed has almost stayed the same. (wed 29th = 6.88mph, fri 31st = 6.82mph), so I'm pretty pleased with my performance.

Werewolves

I got home late and ate dinner, waited for my food to go down enough for me to walk comfortably. After running I took a shower and cooled down. It was around 9:30 that I realized that I hadn't done my course (The original plan had been to do it when I got back from walking, but running changed things).

I felt it was too late to be bouncing around on the floor, so decided to push the session back a day and have another weekend where I workout on one of the rest days.

(I did the session on Wednesday and I probably could have done it without disturbing the neighbors, the only jumping was in the warm up, the rest of the exercise I could have done quietly).

Blade

I did 10 pull-ups, not continuous. I only managed to get to 8 in continuous motion again. Then did 8 negatives.

Then 75 sit-ups.

Van Helsing

Even though this quest is a failure, it has at least made me realize that I need to think through things more carefully. I'm impulsive and rush straight into things, which is why this quest didn't work out. I'd still like to teach myself to play the keyboard, so one day Van Helsing will face me, but for now he can mock me at a distance.

PETER+CUSHING+PHOTOGRAPHS+IMAGES.jpg

Frog Brothers

The last idea I was writing wasn't working for me, so I switched to a new one.

158 words.

Buffy

26 minutes of hip and hamstring stretches.

Exercise-Gains-copy.jpg

• Like 5

I've been watching motivational videos on youtube for the past hour, I heard this line and thought I'd use it as my daily motivation picture, but I felt the need to post now rather than wait.

f91f52faa38f5642266e60a258b37298.jpg

"There are only so many tomorrows"     I love that.

• Like 5

Awesome quote indeed. Sometimes when you're stuck in your daily routine time seems to pass so fast... and maybe we truly need a reminder every now and then that it is still limited. :) 

Which videos were you watching? 

• Like 2

Congratulations on your run! And I really like the motivational quote!

Thanks. I really liked that one too, It's a good reminder not to put off the things you want to do/achieve.

Awesome quote indeed. Sometimes when you're stuck in your daily routine time seems to pass so fast... and maybe we truly need a reminder every now and then that it is still limited. :)

Which videos were you watching? 

Yep, I agree. I think maybe it spoke to me because it reminded me of one of Brandon Lee's final on camera interviews (maybe even his last one)

The motivational videos I watched are in the spoiler.

The first one is one of my favourites, I always end up coming back to this one.

How bad do you want it? (Success) HD

Stop whining, Start Grinding - Motivational video

Mad as hell! (Motivation) | HD |

Best motivational video - Speeches compilation 1 hour long

The most motivating 8 min of your life!

I still had my tabs open from the vid session, so can give you the proper links & titles.

• Like 3

Wednesday

It was my day off and a day where I didn't have to do too much activity.

I went out for a walk, 5.08 miles in 1 hour 9 minutes 58 seconds = 4.36mph. During the walk my hip felxors made sure to let me know that they weren't happy with me for all of the stretching I have made them do recently.

Werewolf & Buffy

It was a light day and while doing it I realised that i propbably would have been fine doing it the night before. Some of the exercises made my hip flexors speak up again and I decided that I would give them the rest of the day off, once I had finished the stretches at the end of the session.

The final stretches ended up being about 6 minutes of work. I thought that later on I would do some shoulder and wrist stretches and give my legs the day off. By the time I was ready to do them it was late and i just went to bed, so only logged 6 minutes of stretch work for the day.

Blade

I didn't need to do any work on the Blade quest, but watching motivational videos for 90+ minutes made me want to get up and do stuff. During one video I got up and did some full burpees (man I am unfit). The last time I did any it was the basic version, no push-up or jump. This time I did the full version. I did 12 before stopping, but think I could have goten to 14 if I had pushed, but by eleven i was wobbling on my feet. I need to aim to get up to 20 at least, then keep building from there.

The next time I stopped I went and did some chin-ups, i did 10 continuous.

Frog Brothers

205 words

Sorry to anyone that I'm following if I haven't gotten to read through your thread yet, or to the people I used to visit regularly and haven't been by for a few days. I am still playing catch up, I read through a few people logs yesterday and will do a couple more tonight, eventually i will get myself up to date.

Article-2-300x203.png

• Like 5

If you are doing a set of 10 chin-ups, I'd hardly call you UNFIT. Burpees just find the weaknesses in all of us and exploit them. ;)

You're doing awesomely!

• Like 1

If you are doing a set of 10 chin-ups, I'd hardly call you UNFIT. Burpees just find the weaknesses in all of us and exploit them. ;)

You're doing awesomely!

Thanks. That would explain why I hate and yet need them

Thursday

I walked home (in the rain) 2.85 miles. On the way home I thought about running the next morning and wondered if I would be able to or not, if the rain continues through the night I might have to cancel for the second time in a week. I decided that after my werewolf course I would go out for my walk/run as it would be cool out and I wouldn't have to risk missing the next day

After relaxing for a while, I decided to get my werewolf course done.

Werewolves, Blade & Buffy

It was a hard day on the werewolf course, which included 5 different pull-up exercises and 5 different push-up exercises, So I considered my Blade day covered too.

The hard day wasn't as physically taxing as previous hard days, I didn't sweat as much or breath as hard, but it was still a difficult day. I had to perform moves that I hadn't done before, moves that required flexibility and coordination, I was sadly lacking.

I have been thinking for the past week that I may need to start the course over when I finish this first time, this session confirms that it is probably a good idea.

The final 6 minutes were stretches and once again it was the only stretching I did. I was catching up on peoples threads again. By the time I finished I was tired and went to bed rather than doing more stretching.

After the werewolf course I went outside to run and found that the rain had stopped, the sun was out and that it was hot. So I went back inside for 90 minutes until the sun was gone and the eveniong cooler.

When I went out later on, it was actually a little chilly. It was slightly uncomfortable for the walk, but I was looking forward ti running in it and staying cooler than normal, but about 2 minutes after I started running, the sun came back out. There was lots of tree cover, so it wasn't too bad until the final 0.5 miles when I was running into the sun, then it felt hot again.

Other than the sun the run went very well. Although it didn't feel like I was going faster than normal, I did feel like I was working harder, so was confident that my time/speed would improve. By the final half miles I had a stitch starting to build and was pushing to keep my pace reasonable and even said out loud to myself “don't quit†a couple of times.

By the time I got home I climbed the stairs to my front door like an old man again, just like I had when I first started running. I was eager to see what my times were, so worked them out almost as sson as I got in.

Walked 2.57 miles – 34min 32sec – 4.47mph

Ran 2.54 miles – 21min 16sec – 7.17mph

I knew I had improved from how hard the run was, but I wasn't expecting the improvement I got.

(Tuesday night was 6.80mph)

Frog Brothers

234 words.

Friday

Walked home from work (2.83 miles)

Werewolf

I did tonight’s session, which was a light day and involved a lot of stretching (around 18 minutes of the 36 min session). During a simple exercise I noticed how weak my shoulders are at certain movements, it is something I need to work on going forward.

Blade

The werewolf course did include a couple of squat exercises, but not enough that I think I could miss them tonight and still be ok, so I did 120.

Plus 75 sit-ups.

I kept the reps the same on both exercises, but tried to improve my intensity (less pauses for a few breaths, more fluid motion).

Buffy

I did around 18 minutes of stretching in my werewolf course.

Later on I did 26 minutes of hip and hamstring stretches

Frog Brothers

269 words

I am giving myself a day off my calorie counting tomorrow without meaning I fail the whole calorie quest. We are going to the state fair, I have never been and there is a lot of food that I haven't tried. This isn't a free pass to eat like a pig, just to allow me to try some new things without keeping a mental tally to try to work out when I get home.

2q1e1qv.jpg

• Like 5

Walked 2.57 miles – 34min 32sec – 4.47mph

Ran 2.54 miles – 21min 16sec – 7.17mph

Great job on the run, and the walk.  Near 4 1/2 mph walk is kicking right along :)

Great job getting in those extra squats and sit ups.  Blade has got to be feeling the pain.

• Like 2

Thank you for linking all the great videos! :) I'll definitely start watching them tomorrow. 

And you're doing extremely well indeed! I'm always surprised to see all those results here... not because I think it isn't possible, but these 6 week challenges sort of remind me how fast you can make real progress and improve your performance. 

• Like 2