• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guh, sorry your stomach issues laid you out last week/weekend. Glad you're in better shape for the challenge start and here to start slaying the slayers. :)

And woo for weight loss during a "bad" week. The scale is a mysterious thing sometimes!

I'm glad my problems didn't carry over to the challenge too. I'm not sure how the scale went down during a bad week, but I'll take it.

Here's a little something to get you going on Day 1 :)

Thanks, I'll have to try working out to a playlist of those vids at somepoint, make my sessions feel like an epic RPG boss battle.

Good luck on day one!

Hope you'll have a great start today! :)

Welcome to Day 1/2 Elem!

How was day 1?

Thank you all for stopping by and wishing me luck. My day one went well, hopefully all of yours did too. I'll be catching up with everyone's threads today.

I didn't update day one as it was 2:45 by the time I finished and I decided to go to bed and write in the morning.

I completed everything I needed to do, but did experience some road bumps along the way, mainly to do with me not planning the challenge as well as I had thought.

I got up and did my run (I won't bother with details as I already posted those).

Werewolves

My next challenge task didn't get done until around 7:30pm. I got back from work and just didn't feel like exercising. I knew that unlike my stretch/strength course I had to do it early, as some of the exercises involve jumping and would disturb our downstairs neighbor if I left them too late.

The session was tough and I couldn't follow every move exactly (I had to use the simpler form on two exercises), but I did see improvement from when I tried out the first session a couple of months ago.

My cardio is better now, I was able to keep following along for the whole session. Whereas the first time I did it there were a couple of times when I stopped, panting and waited for the current exercise to end because I didn't feel like I could do anymore.

My strength had improved too. I could do more before having to switch out to easier forms.

Buffy

My werewolf session ended with 6 or 7 minutes of stretches, which I had forgotten about. So if I do miss a yoga/stretch session on a day that I have done my parkour fitness course, I will still have done enough stretching for a daily pass.

I did the first session of Gravity yoga and it wasn't what I was expecting. I can't figure out who the course is aimed at, after last nights sessions it isn't aimed at beginners who want to get flexible as I had thought. But the narrator talks about people having performed a certain move hundreds of times, which would be 1 year+ of daily practice (which I would have thought would make you reasonably flexibly without needing this).

So this product seems to sit in a limbo category of it's own. I'm not going to bother with the rest of this course. Although I think I will do the hamstring session 2-3 times a week. Even though I couldn't perform the moves, the positions I could do, still stretched my legs, so should have some use.

I think for the rest of the course I'll probably just redo parts of my stretch/strength course (elements), but do have a 10 minute yoga solution, so might try that out at some point during the challenge too.

Blade

I relaxed for a couple of hours after that, putting off the next set of exercises. When I finally did them, both my sit-ups and squats felt harder than they had before. The I realized that my earlier session had worked abs and thighs in several exercises, so my muscles weren't fresh.

I hadn't thought about over working my muscles or not being able to perform the same way I had in the last challenge.

My session also worked pull-ups and push-ups, so today's session will probably interfere with them too.

I still managed to complete all of my needed reps, they were just tougher than they needed to be

Sit-ups 70, Squats 110

I don't think I'll be doing any of the convict conditioning progressions during this challenge, I'll wait until I can fit them in properly.

Van Helsing

Because this was day one, I had forgotten about working on my keyboard and writing. I remembered as I was doing my squats and thought I was close to being able to go to bed.

Here is where my next mistake comes in. I didn't want to spend a lot of money on a keyboard as I didn't know if I would keep playing it after the challenge (I hoped I would). So I picked up a cheap one on Amazon Prime's big sale day, not giving a thought to headphones, I just assumes that a headphone jack would be standard with all keyboards, it was 26 years ago when I last owned one, so why would that change.

I plugged in my earphones, switched on and the notes played loud and clear. It turns out that what I thought was the headphone jack is actually for an external speaker, so plugging in headphones does nothing.

It was late and my wife was having trouble sleeping, so I switched off the keyboard and just practiced the key sequence for Hey Jude for a few minutes.

The Frog Brothers

I had no idea what I was going to write, so thought I'd probably just end up picking up the old novel I had been writing and carry on with that (it's currently stalled at 65,000 words). But just before I started I remembered a scene that had come to mind a few days ago and decided to spend a few minutes on that. I didn't write much (125 words), but hopefully if the scene catches my imagination properly my word count will go up. I went past my minimum though, so that is a pass for the day.

Dear-stomach.jpg

• Like 8

Difficult maybe, but it seems you still did great! :) That's the more important part. I do know that feeling about not having planned the new challenge all that well, though... hm. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the support.

I was too happy about coming up with different challange themes (I have two future ones in mind already) to spend time thinking about how the quests I'm setting myself interact with eachother. So once again I have made the challege harder on myself than it needed to be, but I'll get through it.

• Like 2

I agree that rearranging at this stage is a good plan. If you're overworking your muscles you won't make a lot of progress. This challenge is for you, so nothing is set in stone. Decide what will work best for you and do it!

• Like 2

Re-arraging and editing your goals is always a good idea! I always think of the challenge I write out at the beginning as a guideline, when you're writing it you really don't know how it will work when you integrate these new things into your life, it's only by testing them that you can see whether they work or not. 

Love today's inspiration! I definitely have way too much bored eating in my life. 

• Like 2

Is there something you can do to rearrange your challenge exercises to help with overworking since we're only on day 2 of the challenge?

I think re-evaluating your goals after day one is fair. After all, the challenge is meant to work for you and no one else.

I agree that rearranging at this stage is a good plan. If you're overworking your muscles you won't make a lot of progress. This challenge is for you, so nothing is set in stone. Decide what will work best for you and do it!

Re-arraging and editing your goals is always a good idea! I always think of the challenge I write out at the beginning as a guideline, when you're writing it you really don't know how it will work when you integrate these new things into your life, it's only by testing them that you can see whether they work or not. 

Love today's inspiration! I definitely have way too much bored eating in my life.

I think you are all right about trying to move my goals around, I will be a little more flexibly with when I complete my Blade sessions. Timing will depend on how my other session goes.

I don't want to not do that part of the challange though. I still want to complete every part of my challange.

Thank you all for the advice.

Stomach: Let me sing you the song of my people *GRUMBLES VIOLENTLY*

That sounds familiar. There are days where I feel like I have done nothing but eat, but my stomache still screams at me.

Tuesday

My stamina course turned out to be the easy day and focused on flexibility and mobility, which meant that I was able to log 35 of the 42 minutes into the med bay mini challenge. It also meant that werewolves and Buffy were done in the same session.

Van Helsing

I played a little keyboard and sounded horrible, I couldn't pick out the tune I was supposedly playing.

Frog Brothers

I did a little writing (165 words)

Blade

I did 8 pull-ups, I had planned to do several sessions during the day, but only did the one.

I did 50 push-ups later in the evening, they were still tough.

Wednesday

I got up at 5am and went out for my walk/run.

3.04 miles walked – 46 min – 3.96mph

2.04 miles run – 17min 47sec – 6.88mph

My walking pace continues to get slower. I thought it was because I was walking in the dark and being careful about where I stepped. But after seeing a frog in the path early on today, I lit a flashlight, so I wouldn't accidentally step on any creatures. So I could see, but still went slower.

I decided to run faster for the first part of my 2.04 miles. I liked how I felt going faster than normal, but got tired quickly. I ran at a good pace for .025 miles, then went back to normal speed. I thought my time/speed might be worse than normal as I felt like I was going slower than normal for the final mile.

I only have one more session at 2 miles before I start running 2.5 miles instead, so I don;t think I will make a habit of running like that. But I will probably do it again at some point and I do want to increase my speed and making the run harder on myself was fun, in a weird way.

Blade

I don't have any official exercises in this category today. But I did do some plyo push-ups and squats in my werewolf course.

Werewolves

My course alternates hard days with easier days, today was a hard one. Lot's of jumping in today's session, I'm sure my downstairs neighbor loved me today.

Buffy

At the end of the werewolf session there was a 5 minute stretch session.

Later on I did some hip and hamstring stretches for 12 minutes.

Finally I did almost 10 minutes of wrist stretches, taken from the elements program I did in the last challenge.

Van Helsing

I didn't attempt to play any tunes tonight, but I am still considering this a pass, as I spent time opening the keyboard to see if I could fix the headphone jack, I failed. But I'm considering it part of the quest.

Frog Brothers

Wrote 185 words.

tumblr_mqrw5epbQL1r2zyogo1_500.gif

I got a little carried away following people this time around (25+), so I haven't been keeping up with everyone very well. I have been trying to read everyone's threads and will eventually catch up. But between work, the challenge and my personal life I haven't had as much time as I'd like.

• Like 6

I think you are all right about trying to move my goals around, I will be a little more flexibly with when I complete my Blade sessions. Timing will depend on how my other session goes.

I don't want to not do that part of the challange though. I still want to complete every part of my challange.

Thank you all for the advice.

That sounds familiar. There are days where I feel like I have done nothing but eat, but my stomache still screams at me.

Tuesday

My stamina course turned out to be the easy day and focused on flexibility and mobility, which meant that I was able to log 35 of the 42 minutes into the med bay mini challenge. It also meant that werewolves and Buffy were done in the same session.

Van Helsing

I played a little keyboard and sounded horrible, I couldn't pick out the tune I was supposedly playing.

Frog Brothers

I did a little writing (165 words)

Blade

I did 8 pull-ups, I had planned to do several sessions during the day, but only did the one.

I did 50 push-ups later in the evening, they were still tough.

Wednesday

I got up at 5am and went out for my walk/run.

3.04 miles walked – 46 min – 3.96mph

2.04 miles run – 17min 47sec – 6.88mph

My walking pace continues to get slower. I thought it was because I was walking in the dark and being careful about where I stepped. But after seeing a frog in the path early on today, I lit a flashlight, so I wouldn't accidentally step on any creatures. So I could see, but still went slower.

I decided to run faster for the first part of my 2.04 miles. I liked how I felt going faster than normal, but got tired quickly. I ran at a good pace for .025 miles, then went back to normal speed. I thought my time/speed might be worse than normal as I felt like I was going slower than normal for the final mile.

I only have one more session at 2 miles before I start running 2.5 miles instead, so I don;t think I will make a habit of running like that. But I will probably do it again at some point and I do want to increase my speed and making the run harder on myself was fun, in a weird way.

Blade

I don't have any official exercises in this category today. But I did do some plyo push-ups and squats in my werewolf course.

Werewolves

My course alternates hard days with easier days, today was a hard one. Lot's of jumping in today's session, I'm sure my downstairs neighbor loved me today.

Buffy

At the end of the werewolf session there was a 5 minute stretch session.

Later on I did some hip and hamstring stretches for 12 minutes.

Finally I did almost 10 minutes of wrist stretches, taken from the elements program I did in the last challenge.

Van Helsing

I didn't attempt to play any tunes tonight, but I am still considering this a pass, as I spent time opening the keyboard to see if I could fix the headphone jack, I failed. But I'm considering it part of the quest.

Frog Brothers

Wrote 185 words.

tumblr_mqrw5epbQL1r2zyogo1_500.gif

I got a little carried away following people this time around (25+), so I haven't been keeping up with everyone very well. I have been trying to read everyone's threads and will eventually catch up. But between work, the challenge and my personal life I haven't had as much time as I'd like.

Glad to see that your first week is going well and that you are settling into the Den. Much respect for your dedication to get up so early to workout and go for a run. I don't do well voluntarily waking up at times that start with 5 :) 

Have you thought of doing any interval work to work on your running speed?

• Like 2

Glad to see that your first week is going well and that you are settling into the Den. Much respect for your dedication to get up so early to workout and go for a run. I don't do well voluntarily waking up at times that start with 5 :)

Have you thought of doing any interval work to work on your running speed?

Thanks.

I haven't found getting up in the morning too bad so far. I think as long as i get to bed a little earlier I am ok.

The idea of doing intervals is hidden away in the back of my mind. First I am going to work on getting my distance up to 5 miles, then I can start trying out sprints winthin that and see how I feel.

• Like 1

That seems like a solid strategy. :)

Also totally feel you on the FOLLOWING ALL THE PEOPLE!!! but it really slows down around Week 3 and some threads pretty much stop to a trickle by Weeks 5-6, so it will be far less overwhelming to keep up then. :)

• Like 3

I have also noticed I go slower when it's dark out for some reason. The roads I run on are very well lit, so there is no good excuse, but my pre-dawn run times are always slow until the sun comes up, then they pick up.

• Like 2

That seems like a solid strategy. :)

Also totally feel you on the FOLLOWING ALL THE PEOPLE!!! but it really slows down around Week 3 and some threads pretty much stop to a trickle by Weeks 5-6, so it will be far less overwhelming to keep up then. :)

I have a nasty habit of trying to do do much at once and then getting discouraged. i don't want to do that with my runs, so I'm trying to keep in mind to progress slowly.

I'm a sucker for a good challenge theme, so when some one has Star Wars, Jason Bourne or Drag Queens, I can't help myself, I have to follow. I feel bad for looking forward to some people dropping their challanges (or at least their updates), but slightly less people to read would be helpful.

I have also noticed I go slower when it's dark out for some reason. The roads I run on are very well lit, so there is no good excuse, but my pre-dawn run times are always slow until the sun comes up, then they pick up.

When I read your message I was thinking, but my run times are getting better, it's just my walking that's getting slower. Then I realized that my walks are in the dark, but it is slightly lighter when I start running and is bright by the time I finish, so the pattern holds true, I just have no idea why.

• Like 6

You are doing really well keeping up with everything, ElemHH. Congrats!

Thanks, things feel good so far.

Today was one of those days where I wanted to eat everything. I ate much more at work than I normally would, so I had to be a little more careful with what I ate tonight. The plus point of the day was that I may have been eating more calories, but other than the lays chips, none of them were from particularly bad sources.

I walked home today (2.85 miles), which gave me a buffer zone to be able to eat a little more tonight.

Werewolves & Buffy

I did my in home parkour fitness, today was another light day, so half of it was stretch work. I already noticed some small improvements.

Going through this course is teaching me that baseline fitness is the same for lots of activities. There are lots of moves that are the same, or very similar as the ones I did in Elements.

Frog Brothers

I wrote 225 words. I noticed today that all of my totals have ended in 5 so far, that hasn't been intentional (125, 165, 185, 225).

Blade

I think part of my problem with improving my strength with mu push-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups and squats is that I haven't really tried to push myself, I have been content with just hitting the same number. It is hard getting to my maximum, but I should have enough to at least try for one extra rep, even if I fail halfway through. As I keep pushing my max higher, my current numbers will start to feel easier..

So tonight I decided that I would do more reps. And try to do them faster too.

Squats 120

Sit-ups 75

Van Helsing

I printed off some Disney sheet music tonight, hoping that it would be a little easier. I need to find a good beginners book though, that is how I need to progress (at least at first).

QuotesCover-pic39.png

• Like 6

A quick update before bed.

I went looking for Plitog's challenge thread, which reminded me of the mini challenge he ran. During the challenge there were a couple of moves that I thought i should do regularly because I found them difficult.

The climbers are part of my werewolf course, but I realized tonight that I hadn't done any basic burpees in a week. So I did 20. Even a small number like that left me panting. Hopefully I'll remember to do them more often and start uping my numbers.

A side note, the people in the Engineering mini quest are insane, check out the spreadsheet to see how many burpee reps they are cranking out.

• Like 6

Today's run was good, I didn't push myself to run fast for the first few minutes, just tried to keep the same pace going (which was slightly faster than normal). When I got to the final half a mile I tried to push the speed a little more and when I finally hit my apartment complex I pushed a little garder again, to try to get a good time.

Walked 3.05 miles - 43min 30sec - 4.2mph

Ran 2.04 miles - 17min 56sec - 6.82mph

My speed was only slightly slower than Wednesday's, but still an overall improvement. Next week my run goes from 2 to 2.5 miles.

• Like 7

Ooh yeah, burpees are excellent cardio conditioning and never really stop sucking IMO. ;)

As for your squats/push-up, maybe test your maxes on one day just to know where you are and retest once every few weeks or something? Max effort every workout is a good way to get an overuse injury, so I wouldn't recommend it in the long term!

• Like 2

Ooh yeah, burpees are excellent cardio conditioning and never really stop sucking IMO. ;)

As for your squats/push-up, maybe test your maxes on one day just to know where you are and retest once every few weeks or something? Max effort every workout is a good way to get an overuse injury, so I wouldn't recommend it in the long term!

Thanks for the advice. Im not looking to push myself to my limits every time , just make sure I don't linger in place for too long . I'm only doing two session per week, so hopefully won't over do it.

Feel like i need burpees, but definitely dont like them. I guess I need to make my peace with always hating them.

• Like 2

A quick update before bed.

I went looking for Plitog's challenge thread, which reminded me of the mini challenge he ran. During the challenge there were a couple of moves that I thought i should do regularly because I found them difficult.

The climbers are part of my werewolf course, but I realized tonight that I hadn't done any basic burpees in a week. So I did 20. Even a small number like that left me panting. Hopefully I'll remember to do them more often and start uping my numbers.

A side note, the people in the Engineering mini quest are insane, check out the spreadsheet to see how many burpee reps they are cranking out.

20 burpees is good! I can barely do 10 in a row.

You are doing so well!!!!!

Thank you xx

For anyone who didn't follow my recruit challenge, Crimson is my wife.

Will we see a Crimson recruit challenge in the future?

burpees-dont-really-like-you-either2.jpg

burpees.jpg?w=240

There are so many good burpee images on the interwebs.

• Like 4

I have the same problem with pushing myself, ElemHH. That was part of the point of the push-up quest this challenge. I always think that I'll start increasing when I can do 3 sets of the BBWW with no rest (or whatever the current thing is). I have to keep reminding myself that I don't have to be doing everything perfectly to try to increase the individual parts.

Congratulations on increasing your reps!

• Like 3

20 burpees is good! I can barely do 10 in a row.

I'm only doing the basic ones so far, no push-ups and no jumps. I think I'll try the full ones for my next set and see if I can manage 20 of those.

Will we see a Crimson recruit challenge in the future?

I'm not sure. She gets to hear about challenges that I've read (whether she wants to or not) and she has read a few threads on here too. But I'm not sure she wants to log everything she does the way I do.

There are so many good burpee images on the interwebs.

I have seen a  few burpee images that I like, but the "Burpees don't really like you, either" is new to me, I like it. It reminds me of a line from Bring It On (a guilty pleasure movie) "Hate us 'cause we're beautiful. Well, we don't like you either."

I have the same problem with pushing myself, ElemHH. That was part of the point of the push-up quest this challenge. I always think that I'll start increasing when I can do 3 sets of the BBWW with no rest (or whatever the current thing is). I have to keep reminding myself that I don't have to be doing everything perfectly to try to increase the individual parts.

Congratulations on increasing your reps!

Making the decission to push myself a little harder did seem to help. It was still tough, but I managed to perform slightly better on everything.

• Like 3