• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

karinajean

karinajean over-commits

OH MAN ^ that title is TOTALLY SETTING MYSELF UP FOR SOMETHING.

but!

Ima gonna over-commit to stuff. I know I do! it's WHAT I DO.

Y'KNOW, after this last super busy feeling july, I don't even know what I'm thinking. I was hopeful for a very relaxing August. but here we go.

This challenge is geared towards me dialing in crazy amounts of exercise so I can run an 8K on September 12th. Every year this 8K goes by in front of my house, and every year I think to myself: I need to run that thing. Every year I don't. (ok last year I had a good excuse.) This is the year!

Goal 1: RUN!

Follow Hal Higdon Novice 8K training. All of it, flexibly.

Even though this is a novice program, it includes a lot of movement. It's got a "stretch and strength" day, 2 running days, one run and strength day, and two cross-training days. 6 days of movement.

Of course now, I'm an over-committer, but I'm not RIDICULOUS. so I'm going to fit in all of the components, but they will not be as calendared by Hal, nor will they be necessarily exactly the same. Like, the Saturday cross-training - that will likely always be about 3 hours of tkd/boxing/weapons. etc.  the other cross-training days will likely be me doing tae kwon do. The strength will be bodyweight exercises.

I have to start this week to get my full 8 weeks in by the race, so I'll log that here too.

Goal 2: .... BUT YOU CAN'T OUTRUN YOUR DIET

This is boring, but keep tracking the calories. I want to continue to dial in my weight / bodyshape. pay attention to what fitbit says, and decide if I agree with the charge hr.

Goal 3: Document.

I have a blog that I never use. I would like to use it more. blog at least a picture a day during this challenge. more is better. do it.

DO IT. I'll post links for y'all too.

SIDEBAR: I'm going to the beach!

I'll be on vacation during week 3. there will be a relaxing of goal 2, but I need to do all the running exercises for goal 1. no relaxation for goal 3.

How-to-get.jpg

(I love this)

also I'm going to wear a bikini while at the beach. that's kind of a huge deal for me, because in general, the work required to put the sunblock on my large expanse of lily-white stomach is NOT commensurate to the enjoyableness of bikini-ing. I've done it before, but in general, it's been not really worth it.

Week 3 I'll be with my family and close friends at a very family friendly beach. I think it's so important that my kids, nephews, and nieces see a wide range of body types and even more importantly, see body types IN ACTION.

So, I'll be bikini-ing, and bodysurfing, and push-up-ing, and running, and all kinds of things IN ACTION.

LIFE GOAL!

Make it to Fall.

NO BIG DEAL.

• Like 13

LOL I love your challenge title. And I'm sure you won't disappoint. :tongue:

But an 8k? Whyyy? :)

.... mostly because it goes right in front of my house?

there's also a parade after the 8k, right in front of my house. we are having people over for brunchy drinks and then bbq afters. it's going to be a fun day.

• Like 5

BLOG SISTAH! Heyyyy~!

And um, an 8k, huh? You are feeling okay, right? You haven't been bodysnatched or anything? OH! Brunchy drinks and bbq! Phew, that explains a lot. :)

you want this, you'll rock this :)

YES to the 8 km race and all the new shiny strengths it will bring you (plus brunchy goodies of course, but you could so have them just anyway ;) )

Love the beach goal too and it's so funny as I saw this #dropthetowel campaign today and loved it immediately, too

YAYY to ALL body types:

CJ1vbJBWcAA9GY3.jpg

also love this one

beautiful_body_types_by_isaiahstephens-d

friend of mine takes people hiking to the woods and mountains for coaching and on body image issues she makes them look at the woods asking "which tree type do you think is the most beautiful? Would the woods be prettier if all the trees had one "ideal" shape?"

Makes them realize straight away how ALL body types are part of the beauty :)

but apart from all that, you should FEEL GOOD and be free to wear whatever you want. Because FUN

• Like 4

You weirdo. :tongue: I mean why not skip the running and get straight to the brunchy drinks? ;)

This. This seems like a very good option. ;)

• Like 1

Of course that's your title! And kudos on the bikini... I've yet to work up the courage. In fact, since my last suit went see through, I haven't bought another one. I think I'm hoping to get to bikini place in my head before I buy a new one.

• Like 1

I'm doing a 5k on the 12th too! I totally agreed to because a group of folks from boxing are doing a team and the biggest team gets a  private dinner at a local restaurant. It's all about the food and bevvies. I love your bikini-ing goal! 

• Like 1

Following, of course!  I'm still not sure about this whole 8K business, but I guess it would be a great test for the knee. 

also I'm going to wear a bikini while at the beach. that's kind of a huge deal for me, because in general, the work required to put the sunblock on my large expanse of lily-white stomach is NOT commensurate to the enjoyableness of bikini-ing. I've done it before, but in general, it's been not really worth it.

It is okay to wear a full on rash guard rather than a bikini, if the main motivation is not body-image problems but rather a desire not to go bankrupt from buying sunscreen?  ;)  It would be so much easier to want to wear a bikini if I weren't quite so lily white and prone to burns.  Good luck with the bikini, but don't forget to reapply that sunscreen every single hour.  

• Like 2

Beeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaachhhhhhhhhh!!!!

Here for this.

Spray sunblock is a life-saver, by the way~

it IS! but I find the regular goo lasts longer?

BLOG SISTAH! Heyyyy~!

And um, an 8k, huh? You are feeling okay, right? You haven't been bodysnatched or anything? OH! Brunchy drinks and bbq! Phew, that explains a lot.

you were TOTALLY MY INSPIRATION FOR THIS.

ha, yeah. normally I'd be murmuring about a 10K in september, but that weekend is booked, so the 8K is the way to go.

You weirdo. I mean why not skip the running and get straight to the brunchy drinks?

this is totally not my motivation but did you know there's an entire subset of runners who run to bars because they get drunk faster after running? something to do with being dehydrated when they start drinking beers.

Good luck with that 8K. I saw in the mini, not even being on a motorbike run could stop you from committing! Hats' off!

ha! well, that was really the first time in my life I did that, and that was a really big milestone for me!

you want this, you'll rock this

YES to the 8 km race and all the new shiny strengths it will bring you (plus brunchy goodies of course, but you could so have them just anyway )

Love the beach goal too and it's so funny as I saw this #dropthetowel campaign today and loved it immediately, too

YAYY to ALL body types:

friend of mine takes people hiking to the woods and mountains for coaching and on body image issues she makes them look at the woods asking "which tree type do you think is the most beautiful? Would the woods be prettier if all the trees had one "ideal" shape?"

Makes them realize straight away how ALL body types are part of the beauty

but apart from all that, you should FEEL GOOD and be free to wear whatever you want. Because FUN

as much as my "big why" has to do with wanting to be skinnier, it also has to do with loving the shape I'm in for ME, and not because of what people think someone should look like. and as I get closer to my goal, I've realized I really need to work at loving the shape I'm in because I"m so used to ignoring it or being mildly uncomfortable with it. I have to practice those loving thought patterns. having a beach body will help me get there, I think!

This. This seems like a very good option.

BRUNCH DRIIIINKS!

:)

Yes! Rock that bikini!!

Reading your challenge has made me tired No doubt you will do all the things, and do them well.

writing my challenge made ME tired. I thought I'd have a 2 week "break" so I could secretly over-commit and then come back and tell you all my nutty challenge of over-committing, but that didn't work out for me.

Of course that's your title! And kudos on the bikini... I've yet to work up the courage. In fact, since my last suit went see through, I haven't bought another one. I think I'm hoping to get to bikini place in my head before I buy a new one.

I have been buying lots of on-sale pieces from athleta. I've been doing the 2 piece for a few years because our week at the beach really is a lot easier if I can live in my suit and easily take restroom breaks (a one piece doesn't facilitate the restroom break so easily). but the tankini thing has been my gig. I got a bikini top on super sale for, like, $9, and that's my entry into the world of bikinis.

I'm doing a 5k on the 12th too! I totally agreed to because a group of folks from boxing are doing a team and the biggest team gets a  private dinner at a local restaurant. It's all about the food and bevvies. I love your bikini-ing goal! 

YAY 5K! yay september 12! and yeah, having a reward afterwards is totally the way to do it!

Following, of course!  I'm still not sure about this whole 8K business, but I guess it would be a great test for the knee. 

It is okay to wear a full on rash guard rather than a bikini, if the main motivation is not body-image problems but rather a desire not to go bankrupt from buying sunscreen?   It would be so much easier to want to wear a bikini if I weren't quite so lily white and prone to burns.  Good luck with the bikini, but don't forget to reapply that sunscreen every single hour.  

I do have a new rash guard too - I've been coveting the atlheta rash guards in their many iterations, and found one on pretty good sale. so that will likely be in heavy rotation especially because I don't think my belly has seen the sun since 2012.

while we're at the beach I can go through 1 container of sunblock every 1-2days, with proper reapplication. every time you get out of the water or wipe sweat, or every 2 hours, whichever is sooner: that's my rule of thumb. and believe it or not, I actually do tan through the spf 50+!

• Like 1

tuesday!

I went to tkd, and will count that against my xtraining, even though it was only a little effort.

wednesday!

up for the scheduled 2 mile run. it was so nice and cool this morning, the heat has broken and it's LOVELY out.

I mapped out my schedule so I can track the running practice. I'll fill in each week as it starts so it will fit my actual schedule. but for week 0, we are all blocked out:

d5cb8bcfaa9b22409b2ca3a4416d6734.jpg

• Like 4

OOOH OOOH OOOH!

I just checked the time I had logged for my 2 mile run.

2 miles = 9:37 minutes.

YOU GUYS.

that's like, 9 1/3 minutes per mile.

that seems SO MUCH CLOSER to 9 minute miles than 10 minute miles!!! I'm so excited about that!

• Like 5

That is fast! Would like to know more about the Tae Kwon Do as well. Hubby did up to a brown belt or something when he was at university, many, many years ago, and I am very curious and thinking of doing something like that.

• Like 1

Under a 10 minute mile is fantastic! Being both strong AND fast is pretty impressive :). I'm hoping my interest in running returns when the weather cools but for now I'll just watch you run instead.

• Like 2