Waanie's rainbow challenge

Waanie

This challenge will be all about rainbows. And cats, but of course everything on the internet is about cats, so therefore this is a rainbow challenge.

Rainbow_Eye_Cat_1_by_AZDF4545.jpg

Anyway, rainbows are awesome:
- they have many colours
- they are formed like an arch
- they are outside
- they are very science-y

400px-Double-alaskan-rainbow.jpg

I want my life to be more like a rainbow! Therefore, my goals for the next challenge are:

1. Cook with colourful vegetables and fruits, at least 14 different ones, 2 for each colour of the rainbow.

Instead of blue and indigo, I can use any colour I want. So at least 2 red, orange, yellow, green and purple fruits and vegetables, and at least 14 in total. The ulterior goal here is to keep eating varied foods.

2. Practice bridges every day.

Bridges are a great show-off and cool trick, they also might be good for back-mobility. I will also do one auxiliary exercise every day, mostly to help with upper back mobility and wrist strength. Lastly, before and after pictures are mandatory ;).

3. Walk/cycle for fun once a week.

I used to enjoy going outside for a walk or cycle route, but I keep giving myself excuses why I don't do it anymore lately. No more! One route of at least 30 minutes every week. Berry picking sessions do count though :).

4. Do something science-y every week.

I need to keep expanding my knowledge to feel fulfilled, and with my PhD I'm just learning more about a relatively small subject. Possible activities:
- read a peer-reviewed paper that's not from my field
- read a chapter of a book at undergrad level, not from my field
- work on advanced programming techniques, testing, or other computer science skills for at least 1 hour
- solve a project Euler puzzle

Scoring

Each goal will get a percentage in the end. Grades are given based on these percentages: 100% A+, 90-100% A, 80-90% B, 70-80% C, <70% F.

Have a nice challenge!

hraEffO.jpg?1

• Like 2

Oh.  I was playing around with Project Euler many months ago.  Thanks for the reminder to poke around there and brush up on some of my programming and mathematical algorithm skills again.  :)

• Like 1

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

Oh.  I was playing around with Project Euler many months ago.  Thanks for the reminder to poke around there and brush up on some of my programming and mathematical algorithm skills again.  :)

For me it is also a while ago since I solved any of the puzzles, but I did enjoy it at the time :). Which language do you program in? I only know c++ and Matlab, so I did most problems in c++ ;).

Yikes, checking out project euler just stole almost an hour of my time :D 

Hope your life will be very rainbow-like the coming 6 weeks!

Thanks! Project Euler is very addictive, but I think it can actually be useful in the sense that it requires skills I think I should have, but not actually have ;). How are your programming skills? Did you ever learn it?

For me it is also a while ago since I solved any of the puzzles, but I did enjoy it at the time :). Which language do you program in? I only know c++ and Matlab, so I did most problems in c++ ;).

Right now, I'm using objective C, which might make some of the problems a bit awkward.  Matlab or octave would be more natural for many of these problems, but I really need to brush up on my objective C so I can start playing with Xcode and app development once the kids are back in school.  

• Like 1

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

Right now, I'm using objective C, which might make some of the problems a bit awkward. Matlab or octave would be more natural for many of these problems, but I really need to brush up on my objective C so I can start playing with Xcode and app development once the kids are back in school.

App development sounds cool :). Matlab and octave may seem convenient, but they are also slooooow. In my experience, Matlab is much much slower than c++ for the kind of code I use to solve Euler puzzles with.

Here is a "before" picture of my bridge:

7b8cd6fba6a17ea34c601fdc329da5b6.jpg

It's pretty terrible, both the bridge and the picture, so there is plenty of room for improvement ;). First step is not to get dizzy when getting out of a bridge though :P.

• Like 1

Wow, you are very on top of things! I haven't even wrapped up my last challenge and you have yours already posted here! Your science-y goal is fantastic, although project Euler is a little overwhelming. I'm not sure that I could have solved those problems when I was still in school and using math-programs on a regular basis.

• Like 1

tinkerer
Level 14 Elven Blacksmith

current challenge - yearlong quest

14 13 12 11 10 9.1 9.0 8 7 6 5 4,2 4.1 4.0 3 2 1

Actually your bridge is not so bad at all. You should drop by my gym some time so you have some regular people to compare yourself to. It'll make you feel loads better :tongue:

Thanks! Project Euler is very addictive, but I think it can actually be useful in the sense that it requires skills I think I should have, but not actually have ;). How are your programming skills? Did you ever learn it?

Nope, never did. When we were kids my brother used a lot of Q-basic (to build little games or a banking system with floppy disk for when me and my sisters played "market") and tried to explain it to me. He still does sometimes with other programs he uses, so I get some of the ideas behind it.

• Like 1

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: It's all future KB Girl's problem

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Wow, you are very on top of things! I haven't even wrapped up my last challenge and you have yours already posted here! Your science-y goal is fantastic, although project Euler is a little overwhelming. I'm not sure that I could have solved those problems when I was still in school and using math-programs on a regular basis.

Thanks! I was thinking about this challenge for a week or so already, so I could post it quite quickly ;).

Actually your bridge is not so bad at all. You should drop by my gym some time so you have some regular people to compare yourself to. It'll make you feel loads better :tongue:

Nope, never did. When we were kids my brother used a lot of Q-basic (to build little games or a banking system with floppy disk for when me and my sisters played "market") and tried to explain it to me. He still does sometimes with other programs he uses, so I get some of the ideas behind it.

I'll come over one day :). Maybe it's just the lack of women in my life that screws up my image of how normal people look like and move ;). Most women I see are at the climbing gym, and they are generally stronger and more flexible than I am.

My main problem with bridges (and most other movements) is the lack of flexibility in my upper back. There's a gazillion knots over there, which make me light headed and severely limits my movement. Rolling on a tennis ball helps somewhat, at least in the very short term, although it makes me very light headed at the moment. I do some stretches daily as well, but nothing seems to really work :(.

I was going to say! That bridge really isn't that bad! It's an awesome starting place. :)

• Like 2

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

That upper back is also a problem area for me.. haven't really found anything yet that really improves it. I reckon things like foam rolling are only temporary. What's your plan for working on it/the bridge?

• Like 1

I was going to say! That bridge really isn't that bad! It's an awesome starting place. :)

Thanks :). I can point out several things that must be improved, but most importantly I want my shoulders at least over my hands. That's probably not going to happen this challenge, but one can hope ;).

That upper back is also a problem area for me.. haven't really found anything yet that really improves it. I reckon things like foam rolling are only temporary. What's your plan for working on it/the bridge?

At the moment, I want to tackle my stifness in 3 ways:

1. Mind my posture at work. If I just move the keyboard to the correct place, there is already a lot less tension on my shoulders. The problem is that I change from working on paper to working on my computer and back, so I often forget to put the keyboard where I need it. This is a small change and I have no idea how much it will help, but it might be a start.

2. Stretch! Eagle-arms, rolling my shoulders, the GMB stretch from the movie below, hanging from a pull-up bar, moving a broom back and forth, etc.

3. Foam roll/tennis ball roll. I just hope this helps to get rid of some of the knots that are already there.

All in all I have no idea if this is a good plan, but it's a combination of what I can find on the internet. I'm considering to buy the GMB program Focused Flexibility because I heard so many good stories, but I'm not sure about that yet. This movie seems to help somewhat though:

According to my boyfriend, it does make my muscles softer, so that's good ;).

• Like 1

Ooh I love the sciency goal! Project Euler looks really fun!

And that's a very nice starting bridge. To target your upper back you might want to think about strengthening rather than stretching it. You need a lot of activation in order to get a nice curve there. One immediate thing to think about is to try and look at your feet and not at the floor, that should get the upper back to activate automagically. Another thing that will help with the illusion of a smooth curve is to get the shoulders and hands aligned, stretching the shoulders might help in that department. :)

• Like 3

Live your new challenge! I agree about your assessment of rainbows, and being more science-y is great! :)

Using awesome technology to communicate from anywhere.

• Like 1

Ooh I love the sciency goal! Project Euler looks really fun!

And that's a very nice starting bridge. To target your upper back you might want to think about strengthening rather than stretching it. You need a lot of activation in order to get a nice curve there. One immediate thing to think about is to try and look at your feet and not at the floor, that should get the upper back to activate automagically. Another thing that will help with the illusion of a smooth curve is to get the shoulders and hands aligned, stretching the shoulders might help in that department. :)

Thanks for the tips! I will look into strengthening my upper back some more, although I feel like my back is already getting a lot of attention when climbing. Maybe it's poor technique, but I often find it easier to swing myself up with the help of my back muscles than to pull up whenever I can't use my legs too much. Getting the shoulders and hands aligned is my first goal in the bridge, my shoulders feel much more flexible after rolling out my back than before ;).

Live your new challenge! I agree about your assessment of rainbows, and being more science-y is great! :)

Ahh another excellent video from GMB! Thanks for sharing :)

I reckon you have a good solid starting plan, adding the tips from Hatter... I'm looking forward to the after picture!

Me too :). Although I'm considering to take a picture this afternoon when fully warmed up, rolled out, etc., and with the tips of Hatter. You don't happen to be at your gym this afternoon, do you? I'm not very good at taking pictures of myself ;).

• Like 1

It's quite a bit different from climbing, it's a very specific activation of the muscles in between the shoulder blades. You want to basically pull the shoulder down and back (e.g. in cobra pose), but keep the movement isolated. It takes a little while to develop that awareness, but once you can feel your back activating (and the chest is open) you'll be able to access the upper back much easier.

• Like 2

Me too :). Although I'm considering to take a picture this afternoon when fully warmed up, rolled out, etc., and with the tips of Hatter. You don't happen to be at your gym this afternoon, do you? I'm not very good at taking pictures of myself ;).

Aw, sorry to read this so late, I was definitely there. I'm also there sunday morning/afternoon. I'm pretty good at taking pictures :D

• Like 1

It's quite a bit different from climbing, it's a very specific activation of the muscles in between the shoulder blades. You want to basically pull the shoulder down and back (e.g. in cobra pose), but keep the movement isolated. It takes a little while to develop that awareness, but once you can feel your back activating (and the chest is open) you'll be able to access the upper back much easier.

Thanks for the tips! I tried it a little yesterday, and it feels good :).

Aw, sorry to read this so late, I was definitely there. I'm also there sunday morning/afternoon. I'm pretty good at taking pictures :D

No problem, I also read this too late... But today I was painting someone's ceiling, so I wouldn't have made it anyway ;). I'll call you if I have an afternoon free this week ;).

Yesterday my boyfriend took a picture, and  my bridge more or less looked the same as before. Hopefully it will become better when I can open up my upper back ;).

I also solved 1 problem of project Euler today, and Friday afternoon I looked a little into the programming language Python. I'm not convinced yet that it's a nice language, but I'd have to work with it to form a proper opinion ^^.

Challenge starts tomorrow, good luck everyone :).

Nice!

Python is a very neat language, but if you're used to c++ then it's going to be quite different. You'll just have to accept that it's slow (relatively) and a scripting language. :)

I will remember that :). It's very different in many aspects, which is why it's useful to learn. I could also start on Java, but according to my bf that's more like "c++ with training wheels".

Anytime! Texting is also easy. 

Hope you had a good day, even though the weather was so ridiculous.

My day was quite good, I only got drenched once, which was on my way home in the afternoon.

I did some bridge work (without proper warming up, so I felt ridiculously stiff) and the vegetables during dinner were mushrooms, onion and carrot. Not really colourful, but it's a nice start :).

• Like 1