• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

I think I'm starting to understand why some people hate python and some people love it. Today, I wrote this code:

def multiplyDigits(number):
        return reduce(mul, filter(truth, map(int, str(number))))

It's ugly and beautiful at the same time, and I expect people to get kicked if they would write this in any big project because of the readability... Given an integer, this function computes the product of its non-zero digits. Totally unreadable, but it's only a small amount of characters to type... The number becomes a string, then a list of digits, which is filtered to not contain any zeros anymore. Then the reduce with mul multiplies all digits in the list. It even works xD.

Today is my rest day, I will stay inside and maybe try yoga with Adriene, since that seems to be quite popular at the moment. Yesterday was really too heavy on my legs ;).

• Like 2

Monday I did end up doing some push ups, planks and glute bridges, which are the muscles I'm not really training with my other exercise. I tried one-legged planks as well, but I felt them mostly in my quadriceps instead of my core. Am I doing it wrong?

Yesterday was just some shopping which we put off for a long time, but nothing else exercise wise (not counting the light yoga).

Today I had my seventh run, and it felt really easy :). It's the first time I had to run for 4 minutes in a row, but it went very well. I was hardly tired at all after my run, which is a good thing because I had a lot of exercise afterwards: yoga, cycling to ikea, home, city centre, home, and climbing (incl cycling). I carried the heavy bag at ikea, apparently my boyfriend decided it's comvenient that I'm strong now and that he doesn't have to offer to carry anymore :tongue:. We're also really becoming adults: we bought the pillows for on our new sofa, and they are not just the cheapest, uniform-coloured pillows I would have chosen a few years ago ;).

Climbing went well, I reached the top of a route I have been struggling with for a long time now. I fell out twice, but started lower again and managed to climb all the way to the top :D. There are also rumors about the upper half of the gym being changed to a bouldering part, which would be awesome! I hope it will get there.

Tomorrow is my resting day, I'm planning on doing only some yoga and maybe groceries. The new expansion of Mage Knight arrived at the shop today, so I want to try that out tomorrow as well :).

To make one-legged planks more difficult I spread my legs and feet apart to increase the "twist" force on my core. I don't know if that's proper or not but it works for me.

Congrats on accomplishing a new route! It's great to get them without falling but sometimes the progression toward that is just to get to where you can make all of the moves individually.

I do think that the upper half of a climbing gym would be the wrong half to make into a bouldering area.The lower half seems a lot safer... ;)

• Like 1

To make one-legged planks more difficult I spread my legs and feet apart to increase the "twist" force on my core. I don't know if that's proper or not but it works for me.

Congrats on accomplishing a new route! It's great to get them without falling but sometimes the progression toward that is just to get to where you can make all of the moves individually.

I do think that the upper half of a climbing gym would be the wrong half to make into a bouldering area.The lower half seems a lot safer... ;)

I'll try that tomorrow, thanks :). With upper half I meant the part above the changing rooms, which is only about half the height of the other part ;). Otherwise it might be slightly dangerous ^^.

That's a crazy- looking function. I'm not sure how the number is getting split up (I thought that str would just turn it into a string version of the number). Either way, it's very succinct. :)

• Like 1

That's a crazy- looking function. I'm not sure how the number is getting split up (I thought that str would just turn it into a string version of the number). Either way, it's very succinct. :)

It is! In python, a string can be seen as a list (I guess it's an array internally) of characters, so with map(int, myString) you turn each character in the string to an integer and put it in a list. At least, I think that's how it works, I'm not sure about the internal workings of python ;).

Anyway, I'm not doing very well fitness wise in the last few days. My yoga did not contain enough bridges because they make me dizzy again, I did not run yesterday and I feel a little without energy in general. Maybe it's because all muscles are tight again, so I will do some foam rolling today.

Yoga with adriene is not my style by the way, her way of speaking makes me itchy, it's too figuratively for me. I did sit out a whole video with her, but I will not repeat it.

Anyway, I'm not doing very well fitness wise in the last few days. My yoga did not contain enough bridges because they make me dizzy again, I did not run yesterday and I feel a little without energy in general. Maybe it's because all muscles are tight again, so I will do some foam rolling today.

Hope you are feeling more energetic for this last week of the challenge. I've adopted the attitude that even though previous weeks haven't been great for me I'd like to end on a high-note. On the other hand, if your body says something isn't a good idea that probably should be the determining factor (i.e. dizziness).

• Like 1

Thanks, I feel better already. Yesterday I managed to run and do proper yoga :). Today was my first working day after my holiday, and it was alright. I will try to incorporate yoga in my morning schedule starting tomorrow, and run at least twice a week. I also have a weekly planning, so that planning costs less stress.

Since I have a smartphone now, I can do all kinds of fancy stuff. One of them is tracking my bike rides with map my ride, which shows that going to work from home is 6.3km and that it took me around 21:30 minutes each way, including traffic lights and crossroads. It does not detect those properly, but I can see that when I cycle, my speed is above 20km/hr. This kind of passive logging is great ;).

Smartphones are awesome. 20km is a very nice speed. 

How is the yoga in the morning going? I'm always a little in awe when people manage to do that sort of thing in the mornings!

• Like 1

Smartphones are awesome. 20km is a very nice speed. 

How is the yoga in the morning going? I'm always a little in awe when people manage to do that sort of thing in the mornings!

Did not manage it once :(.

Actually, I haven't managed to do much this week. The combination of my depression and going to work again left me exhausted, especially because I also had a few busy weeks in the first half of the week.

However, I have already cycled over 100km this week and I just got my run in. Wednesday climbing went well, I came farther with a route I'm working on than before. I also manage to have a walk for lunch on most days, so I have plenty of outside time and exercise, just not enough yoga.

I also have trouble getting things done at the moment. I just don't feel the motivation, especially when I can just hang on the sofa and read a book. Does anyone have any tips on how to start doing yoga and useful stuff like cleaning again?

• Like 1

However, I have already cycled over 100km this week and I just got my run in. Wednesday climbing went well, I came farther with a route I'm working on than before. I also manage to have a walk for lunch on most days, so I have plenty of outside time and exercise, just not enough yoga.

I also have trouble getting things done at the moment. I just don't feel the motivation, especially when I can just hang on the sofa and read a book. Does anyone have any tips on how to start doing yoga and useful stuff like cleaning again?

That all sounds great, though!  You're doing a lot more than you seem to be giving yourself credit for doing.  

My advice for things like starting with yoga or cleaning is to really start small.  Find a yoga video or app with 10-15 minute workouts, and just do that.  Set a timer for 5-10 minutes, and get up and clean for that time.  Or maybe for the cleaning, convince yourself that whenever you finish a chapter of your book, you have to get up and put something away or do some very very small cleaning chore.  Yeah, it's still tough to get off of the couch, but when you can tell yourself that it's just 10 minutes, and then you'll be done, that should help quite a bit.  Sometimes, after you do the yoga or start cleaning, you'll get into a good groove and want to do more.  Sometimes you won't, and that's okay.  

• Like 3

Nymeria said that very well. You are really doing a lot! I think in the last challenge you mentioned that applying the time limit to yoga was working because it was a short period of time that you actually could accomplish within your schedule constraints.

Congrats on the climbing improvement!

• Like 1

That all sounds great, though!  You're doing a lot more than you seem to be giving yourself credit for doing.  

My advice for things like starting with yoga or cleaning is to really start small.  Find a yoga video or app with 10-15 minute workouts, and just do that.  Set a timer for 5-10 minutes, and get up and clean for that time.  Or maybe for the cleaning, convince yourself that whenever you finish a chapter of your book, you have to get up and put something away or do some very very small cleaning chore.  Yeah, it's still tough to get off of the couch, but when you can tell yourself that it's just 10 minutes, and then you'll be done, that should help quite a bit.  Sometimes, after you do the yoga or start cleaning, you'll get into a good groove and want to do more.  Sometimes you won't, and that's okay.

Thank you for your advice. I started again with 3 stretches a day and 5 minutes of cleaning other than the dishes. At the moment that seems doable, but not more than that if I have a bad day. It is true that my lifestyle is very active, I saw that I used over 3000 kcal last week during the bike rides and walks I tracked, I think I would get to at least 4000 if I include all my cardio (even more if you add climbing). For me the exercise seems normal, but the amount of energy spent is much higher than I thought. Compared to other people on this forum, I think I exercise more than average, something I did not realize before.

Nymeria said that very well. You are really doing a lot! I think in the last challenge you mentioned that applying the time limit to yoga was working because it was a short period of time that you actually could accomplish within your schedule constraints.

Congrats on the climbing improvement!

Thanks! I indeed started something like that again, and it seems to work. I also restarted my habitRPG to keep track of things I want to do daily and my to do list. My meds make me quieter in my head, which also makes me forget some to-dos from time to time.

Hopefully I can make a picture of my bridge tonight or tomorrow, even though I haven't done one in a week. It would be nice to see if I have booked any progress with my very limited time spent at it. If not, then I know why. If I have made progress, that would be awesome ;).

• Like 1

Nymeria's tips are the best. Hope they're working for you! Also don't be too hard on yourself, you've got a lot going on.. Things will get better again once you're more used to things again :)

• Like 1

Nymeria's tips are the best. Hope they're working for you! Also don't be too hard on yourself, you've got a lot going on.. Things will get better again once you're more used to things again :)

Thanks! They do seem to work quite well at the moment. It helps that I'm not entirely stuck anymore at work, so I'm not spending all energy at worrying about that anymore.

I also got my bike "repaired" today, i.e. my brakes work correctly again and my tires got more air in it. I now cycle at least 23km/hr (14.3mi/h) most of the time, with peaks at 27/28km/hr (~17mi/h). It's much faster than yesterday, so I'm glad my bike is better again :).

Challenge wrap up

A lot happened during my challenge. Most noteworthy is that I finally got treatment for my depression, which seems to help. In the second week I was out because of the side effects of the meds.

I also learned that waiting for deliveries at home is just terrible if they don't come in their time slot. I really slipped back a lot during the first week of my holiday, because people wouldn't arrive when they said they would.

I started running again halfway through the challenge, and I enjoy it :). I'm not injured yet and my legs seem to hold, so that's good. The endorphines keep me going, also through life, so I'll try to keep it up.

Furthermore, I learned that my diet is quite varied already. These are the vegetables and fruits I used during my dinners of the 6 week challenge:

Red: tomato, bell pepper

Orange: orange, mineola, carrot

Yellow: lemon, sauerkraut

Green: spinach, iceberg lettuce, cucumber, sugar snaps, zucchini, green beans, peas, broccoli

Purple: red beets, red onion, lollo rosso lettuce

Other: Cauliflour, leek, button mushrooms

This easily completes my vegetable goal, without even trying hard ;).

I also completed my outside goal easily, since I started running again. I learned to program in python for my science goal, which I did at least one hour a week. I did not do anything else for my science goal, but I feel I have a decent foundation of python because of this challenge.

The only goal I failed very hard is the bridges goal. I feel very dizzy again if I try a bridge, just like in the beginning. I did not make a picture today, because I felt really uncomfortable in the bridge. However, at the third or fourth week my bridge was really better than when I started out. So it is a good idea to practice it regularly if I want to improve it.

All in all it was a decent challenge, although I feel like some goals were too easy and I flunked the yoga goal.

I'm thinking about starting a respawn thread, since I want to be able to change my daily goals week by week. Either that, or an easy challenge focussing on stretching and getting my upper back straightened out. Oh, and running, climbing and cleaning. I feel like my goals are too small for a 6 week challenge at the moment and my mental health is too unstable to depend on for 6 weeks, but I'll think about it ;).

Thank you all for supporting me through this challenge, I really appreciate it :).

• Like 2

Compared to the rest of it, bridges aren't important! Well played this challenge and I look forward to the next :) Just do whatever you feel suits best, I think setting new goals every week is great.

• Like 1

Kind of like when you realized that you are already a pretty active person, reading your summary shows that despite your new depression treatment you accomplished a significant number of things! I am seriously impressed at your determination and looking forward to seeing what you do next.

Speaking of which I have an idea: maybe you should set a goal to pick new goals every week! :)

• Like 2

Compared to the rest of it, bridges aren't important! Well played this challenge and I look forward to the next :) Just do whatever you feel suits best, I think setting new goals every week is great.

Thanks! I did make a new challenge in which I opted for weekly goal setting in a few categories :).

Kind of like when you realized that you are already a pretty active person, reading your summary shows that despite your new depression treatment you accomplished a significant number of things! I am seriously impressed at your determination and looking forward to seeing what you do next.

Speaking of which I have an idea: maybe you should set a goal to pick new goals every week! :)

Thanks :). I'll just try a new challenge with flexible goals, since my health is quite unstable at the moment. Recovering from depression is hard work, if it would be as easy as just sitting still and doing nothing I might have done that. However, I need to do things, exercise a lot and appreciate myself more, so I'll just keep up the challenges and try to see progress anywhere. I did use your suggestion and made my only goal to pick goals every week ^^. I defined a few categories and I'll try out a few this week :).

Anyway, my new challenge is up! Hope to see you all in the new challenge :).