Update: I loved the idea of making a spreadsheet to track goals: here's mine.

Main Quest: Beat agoraphobia & depression.

Q1: 20 good form push-ups. (+1 STR)

I used to be able to do 46. Now I can barely do 1.

Despite having been in the military, I was never an athlete or a tough chick, but repetition helped get me from the arm strength of a flea... I couldn't do a single push-up on my knees, to almost 50 real push-ups on a graded exercise test with a 2-minute time limit. Since my injury and my depression, and now that I'm doing a regular desk job where being in shape isn't a requirement, I haven't made an effort to work out in six months. I did my first push-up in months this morning. It was rough. My middle sagged, I almost couldn't get back to the start position. I don't have a gym membership or free weights, but I plan on practicing push-ups, arm circles and some planks -- anything plyometric basically. Maybe I'll even start getting back my four-pack of yore.

Update: I think I psyched myself out during that first bad push-up yesterday. Maybe I just forgot what it feels like to use my muscles. Today (July 22, still 5 days before challenge start) I did a set of 5 not-terrible push-ups. I'm not going to update my goal to make it harder, because I don't want to discourage myself with unreasonable difficulty. However, I'm going to put a longer term counter in my signature to keep track of how close I am to getting back to 50 push-ups. :)

A = > 20. (I was always told that As are not for meeting the expectation, they're for going beyond it!)

B = 20

C = 13

Fail: anything less

Q2: No alcohol (+1 CON)

I'm prone to a lot of anxiety and depression and I've never had any luck with the many anti-depressant, anti-anxiety, anti-have-any-feelings drugs prescribed to me. Individual therapy, group therapy, hospitalization also did basically nothing for me. Now I'm living alone for the first time in my life, in a city where I don't know anyone. And I self-medicate. Out of all the modern miracles of pharmacology, alcohol works better than anything at making me feel less awful about life. With my severe agoraphobia, I don't even like leaving my apartment. Going to the store to buy alcohol actually provides one of the few motivating reasons I step out the front door.

Unfortunately, alcohol also upsets my sleep cycle, makes time disappear unproductively, and robs me from actually working on meaningful goals. It has a ton of calories and is one of the factors that my weight crept from a pants size 6 to not-fitting-into-an-8. And more than that: it shouldn't be the only reason I can find to leave the house.

A lot of my other nutritional goals hinge on this one. If I pour empty calories down my throat every evening, why bother eating healthy during the day? I use that to rationalize buying sweets, salt-filled freezer meals, and so forth at the grocery store. Sure, I'll also pick up carrots and fruit and salad greens... and then never eat them. I have a feeling that cutting out alcohol is the linchpin to the rest of my nutritional goals, and some other life goals.

A = totally dry.

B = slipped once or twice.

C = slipped three or four times.

Fail: anything more

Q3: Banish videogames, movies and TV. (+1 WIS)
You can argue that this isn't a nutrition or fitness goal, but I have to strongly disagree. Gaming and TV-watching eats up the time that I would otherwise use to be more mentally and physically active. It is an opiate to me. I also tend to eat unhealthy snacks while gaming more than any other time. I have difficulty taking breaks and will ignore the physical world as long as possible as long as I have a game to play.

To begin, I cancelled my Netflix subscription.

Now, it's not really enough for me to say, "Don't play games" as my goal. I also need to strongly dissuade myself from purchasing them to begin with, and uninstall the ones I have. It's harder to get back into a game if all my save files are deleted and the game isn't on my computer at all. I will uninstall the Origin and Steam platforms, and all games associated with them. I suspect this will have more tangible positive results during the 6-week challenge than if I just plugged in another numerical goal, like, "Oh, do 100 sit-ups" or something. Freeing up large blocks of time that I spend on gaming is objectively the best way to get myself re-involved in the real world.

I will not be getting rid of audio books and educational podcasts. If I see a movie in theaters, I will make an exception to the "no movies." I'm just targeting the vast library of shows I have at my disposal with iTunes, Amazon, Netflix and Hulu.

Out of all of my quests, this one will be the most difficult, and honestly I'm not quite sure what to expect as the result. Who am I without games and shows? What will I fill my time with? Will my depression worsen or will I become super-productive?

A = absolutely no gaming, no movies, no TV.

B = slipped once or twice.

C = slipped three or four times.

Fail: anything more

Life (Side) Quest: Go outside every day. (+1 STA)

If I'm ever going to be comfortable enough to drive again and minimize my anxiety at leaving home, the first step is just to get out my front door every day.

Because I work from home, I can easily go for 2 - 3 day stretches where I don't leave the house. Eventually I'll have to take care of basic things... take out the trash, get the mail, go to the store, go to the laundry room. But the more I stay inside, the worse my agoraphobia gets. It doesn't even feel like a "fear," usually it just feels like... a sort of grey miasma that closes me into my little cell. I say there's nothing to do outside, nowhere to go, no one to meet. I pull down the blinds. I'm not very relaxed when I do go out, sometimes just walking down the street is stressful. Grocery shopping is stressful. In the past few weeks I have pushed myself to do things like take long walks, ride the bus, get a library card, explore a couple new restaurants, even go sailing. However, these events are isolated. The vast majority of the time, I'm locked in my apartment. This is punctuated with short spurts of excursion where I'll strategically take care of several errands at once so that I can go home again. It makes it SEEM like I'm very active when I say I found a great new taco place, scouted out a cool bookstore and a bead shop and walked around the park, went to the post office, etc. But chances are I did all those things back-to-back and won't leave home again for days.

Of course it's not enough just to stand on my porch and turn around and go back in every day. That's not healthy progress. But if all I do is walk around the block or go sit in a cafe for a half hour with my laptop, that's a good start. I considered having a more detailed plan about Where To Go every day, but I would like to expand my ability to follow spontaneous decisions rather than fulfill a predetermined task list. The goal is to feel more relaxed, not more regimented.

A = 100%, established new walking routines and reasons to get out.

B = Got out 6 days a week.

C = Got out 5 days a week.

Fail: anything less.

Motivation: I've never lived alone before, and I think subconsciously I knew I needed to be alone to bring out the worst parts of my agoraphobia and depression, to meet them head on and handle them myself, without depending on the people I love most as my crutches. A lot of days feel brutal and lonely. But I also can't help but feel this could be the best opportunity I've given myself: finding out who I am, really, at the bottom of everything. And who I am right now isn't pretty. It turns out I'm terrified, weak, unhealthy and sad. But there it is. I am finally seeing myself as I am.

Edit: I took some "Before" pics although I feel shy about sharing them right now. None of my quests are specifically weight-related during this challenge, but I have a feeling that I will start losing a few pounds here and there with a different lifestyle. Right now I'm about 148 lbs., and my happy weight is in the 113 - 125 pounds range.

Intended Starting Stats if all is going well at week 3:

STR: 1

DEX: 1

STA: 1

CON: 2

WIS: 3

CHA: 2

• Like 6

Level 0 Recruit

Challenge 1: Thread | Spreadsheet | Battle Log

Bad Doodler in The Renaissance Rebels.

"They're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us.

They can't get away this time." - Chesty Puller

Long-term goals beyond the scope of this challenge:

Push. Up. (Complete 50 push-ups in one set. Currently: 10.)

20%
20%

Fit into those pants. (Get weight down to 118 from 148lbs. Currently: 136.)

40%
40%

Hi and welcome to NerdFitness!  Congrats on setting all of that down and starting to work on it.  That's courage and facing things you wnat to fix.

Your goals make quite a lot of sensor, no worries.  The intention is that you set up goals that are good for you.  If banishing video games and shows is important, then it's a good goal.  I'm on a Reddit diet myself this challenge :-D

Going out to movies could be a good way to get out in public in a more comfortable way.  Otherwise, what do you want to fill your home time with?  Would it help to set up a schedule?  Block out time for exercise, going out, cooking, etc.  You may find that setting up a new routine helps to take the place of the media time.

Behave yourself, badly if necessary.

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

Hi and welcome to NerdFitness!  Congrats on setting all of that down and starting to work on it.  That's courage and facing things you wnat to fix.

Your goals make quite a lot of sensor, no worries.  The intention is that you set up goals that are good for you.  If banishing video games and shows is important, then it's a good goal.  I'm on a Reddit diet myself this challenge :-D

Going out to movies could be a good way to get out in public in a more comfortable way.  Otherwise, what do you want to fill your home time with?  Would it help to set up a schedule?  Block out time for exercise, going out, cooking, etc.  You may find that setting up a new routine helps to take the place of the media time.

Thanks for the encouragement, Teirin... I wish you luck on your Reddit diet!! These things are hard.

After the challenge I'm sure I'll go back to renting a movie now and then, or seeing one in theaters sometimes, but I think cutting it out entirely for now will help retrain me from overconsuming media that doesn't really require me to use my brain or body. I feel like I've seen a lifetime's worth of movies and shows... an overload! Videogames are another matter. I don't know if I have the ability to consume them responsibly.

For me at the stage I am, setting up schedules is a TRAP!!! I will spend so much time making a schedule, heck I'll even design it and make it pretty, and then I'll never follow it. It's a way to procrastinate, and it actually makes me feel crappier when I fail to keep up with it than if I had never made one at all. That's not to say that I don't want to have a schedule at all, it's just not the right time. I need to work on spontaneously and consistently making better time management choices with a more natural flow to it before I start fine-tuning that into a schedule.

Level 0 Recruit

"They're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us.

20%
20%

40%
40%

Hello ! I just learned a new word from you. Agoraphobia. Thanks !

I'm happy to read your thread, that you want to level up ! All the best  :encouragement:

I've tried to banish games, movies and TV before too, but it turns out bad for me.

it creates a vacuum space that needs to be filled up. So I binge on foods as a result.

I'm just wondering, do you have anything that could safely fill up those space ?

[ Rzqnzhf ][ Half-Elves ][ Level - 1 ]

[ STR - 3 ] [ DEX - 1 ] [ STA - 1 ] [ CON - 2 ] [ WIS - 1 ] [ CHA - 0 ]

Setting Up the First Player

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world"

I'm just wondering, do you have anything that could safely fill up those space ?

Yes, many things that I want to and have to do. One of them is working more efficiently. I work from home and often get distracted by putting on movies and shows during the day.

The other is pursuing hobbies that I haven't put enough time into. I like to hike, crochet, draw, paint, write and have always wanted to take up backpacking.

I also believe that I manage a certain level of loneliness by filling it up with sound, games, shows, etc. and would like to push myself to actually build some meaningful community involvement.

• Like 2

Level 0 Recruit

20%
20%

40%
40%

Good, achievable goals. I work from home as well and also tend towards being a shut-in (especially during the sickly warm summer). Just a tip (which you by no means need to follow), but I've found that getting outside first thing in the morning (at that sweet time when the city is quiet and the air is fresh) really changes my perspective of my neighborhood and motivates me to get out again later.

Also, nice spreadsheet!

cepopaladin

LVL 1 | STR 2 | DEX 3 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 2 | CHA 0

Battle Log: cepopaladin's journey to badassery

Challenge: cepopaladin heeds the call of badassery progress

Main Quest: Vanquish GMB Elements: Week: 4 Day: 2

71.5%
71.5%

Side Quest: Defeat a 10k Run + Intervals: 2 / 12 sessions

16.2%
16.2%

Side Quest: Defeat a Single Pull-Up: Assisted (w/ chair)

25%
25%

I love spreadsheets too!!!! 

wanted to stop by and say welcome!

thank you! I think I'll have fun tracking with it and like the idea of of NF'ers being able to follow along... I'll be embarrassed if I have to put a big red square anywhere because I failed to do what I said I would do.

Good, achievable goals. I work from home as well and also tend towards being a shut-in (especially during the sickly warm summer). Just a tip (which you by no means need to follow), but I've found that getting outside first thing in the morning (at that sweet time when the city is quiet and the air is fresh) really changes my perspective of my neighborhood and motivates me to get out again later.

Also, nice spreadsheet!

yes, I've definitely found that too. going out in the morning increases my likelihood of popping out later for errands without agonizing about it. I'm also naturally a morning person, which helps. I do have to be mindful though: I have to learn how to cope with my city during rush hour too, and not be deterred by busy stores, crowded buses, etc.

Level 0 Recruit

20%
20%

40%
40%

@greenjasper Is cooking something you could do instead of TV/gaming? You mention freezer meals and picking up healthy foods like carrots or salad greens so I'm guessing you maybe don't cook all that much at the moment?

I live alone too and I know after a long day at work, I hate spending 20 minutes making something I'll spend five minutes eating, so I tend to default to takeaway or microwave meals. Instead, when I'm eating better, I try to spend a couple of hours batch-cooking to freeze meals on weekends when I have time, and it takes me an hour or so to cook a couple of different things. (Plus, they taste a lot better than your standard microwave dinners.) When I cook, I crank up the music, dance around the kitchen and I actually have come to enjoy it - turning ingredients into something delicious, particularly if it's a new recipe, gives me a really good, concrete feeling of achievement.

Down the line, if you find you enjoy it, you could look at checking out some cooking classes or helping in a soup kitchen or something to develop some community ties/friendships?

Obviously, if you hate cooking with a  passion or you're not set up for it, ignore me completely.

I will lose 28 kilos (from 94 kg to 66 kg)

10%
10%

Alocin, I'd love to cook more! Unfortunately my apartment is a micro-studio without a kitchen. I have a sink, a mini-fridge and a microwave, but that's it. I am getting a juicer this week, and considering a hot plate or crock pot... but I have zero shelving, zero cabinets, no storage or counter space. In total (minus the bathroom), I have about 125 sq. ft, a lot of which is taken up by a full-sized bed that I don't have the option of switching out for a smaller one, and my computer desk.

I used to like cooking and baking more, but it's been a long time since I've had a kitchen. Before this, I lived in military barracks, which... also didn't have kitchens. :(

Level 0 Recruit

20%
20%

40%
40%

Hmmm, batch cooking won't work but maybe you could get creative with the microwave if you think you might like to cook at all?

My mum, bless her, uses a microwave to cook everything from sausages to potatoes to risotto. :playful:

I found this on a quick search http://www.cookinglight.com/m/food/recipe-finder/microwave-recipes

[And I've been known to whip up a microwave mug cake or two in my time when I've wanted a quick treat. I made an awesome paleo one with banana, egg and coconut flour the other day. Turned out very much like banana bread.  :smile-new:]

I will lose 28 kilos (from 94 kg to 66 kg)

10%
10%

That's actually a really good idea. I like the idea of figuring out how to do fish and eggs in the microwave. I do need to get creative. Thanks for the good thoughts! :)

Level 0 Recruit

20%
20%

40%
40%

The other is pursuing hobbies that I haven't put enough time into. I like to hike, crochet, draw, paint, write and have always wanted to take up backpacking.

I also believe that I manage a certain level of loneliness by filling it up with sound, games, shows, etc. and would like to push myself to actually build some meaningful community involvement.

That's a good bunch of fun activities ! Yeah, go for it !

I'm not sure if you've heard it before or not, but there's quite a good website that might help you, I've personally tried it before.

To fill up those lonely sound while working - https://coffitivity.com/

To help you with backpacking - https://www.couchsurfing.com/

Hope it helps !  :joyous:

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world"

There are a lot of new cooking tools that really work well in small spaces. Try a sous-vide machine and a hot plate as a combination that can take you from 0 to gourmet in a second with almost guaranteed success rates. Sous-vide machines are pricey but as an owner of one there is nothing quite like making guaranteed perfect beef/pork/chicken every time and then slap it on a hot skillet just for a sear. Even with slow-cookers now a day you'd be surprised with the amount of amazing things that you can make in one! Especially for batch-cooking like things. If you're interested just send me a message and I can shoot you some links to great recipes or cooking techniques.

Good luck on your journey this next 6 weeks! 

A hot plate would be a fantastic idea, because you can then fry, boil and cook whatever you like. But also if you have a few good microwave dishes then you can find some good microwave recipes on the internet to make.  Also you'll find a great community here of like minded people who will help you along. 

You might notice that someone has added a tag to your post.  This is not to box you into a corner but rather because your goals or lifestyle have links to the guild you've been tagged and we'd like to bring you to the attention of one of their guild ambassadors. These ambassadors will be able to offer you advice, encouragement and support on your goals.  You don't even have to wait around for them to come introduce themselves to you, you are more than welcome to pop into the Assassins' board and introduce yourself to the guildies there. I am also around to answer any questions that you might have so do not hesitate to PM me.

Good Luck with your challenge

AB xx

• Like 1

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

That's a good bunch of fun activities ! Yeah, go for it !

I'm not sure if you've heard it before or not, but there's quite a good website that might help you, I've personally tried it before.

To fill up those lonely sound while working - https://coffitivity.com/

To help you with backpacking - https://www.couchsurfing.com/

Hope it helps !  :joyous:

Omigosh, I opened Coffivity without realizing what it was and was so confused at the sound playing! But I'm actually kind of intrigued now. I might try that for a half hour or hour today and see how it goes. Thanks!

I've heard of the couchsurfing website, but I still have some reservations about it. (Maybe it's the whole idea of being a woman alone going into a semi-unknown situation.) Mostly I'd like to do the sleep-under-the-stars thing.

There are a lot of new cooking tools that really work well in small spaces. Try a sous-vide machine and a hot plate as a combination that can take you from 0 to gourmet in a second with almost guaranteed success rates. Sous-vide machines are pricey but as an owner of one there is nothing quite like making guaranteed perfect beef/pork/chicken every time and then slap it on a hot skillet just for a sear. Even with slow-cookers now a day you'd be surprised with the amount of amazing things that you can make in one! Especially for batch-cooking like things. If you're interested just send me a message and I can shoot you some links to great recipes or cooking techniques.

Good luck on your journey this next 6 weeks! 

Thank you! And wow, I had no idea that gadget even existed. That's really neat. To be fair, I'm hoping by the time I actually own pots and pans, I'll also have a kitchen and won't *need* something like that. My lease is 7 months more, and then I'm planning on moving to a slightly quieter neighborhood where I can afford more space, so I don't want to invest too heavily in specialized stuff that I may not use as much in the future. And while I'm not a vegetarian, I actually don't cook red meat or poultry... I've just never been able to get over the ick factor for some reason. But I will definitely be looking more into microwave recipes and since I am getting a juicer, I'll be working on my juicing game!

• Like 1

Level 0 Recruit

20%
20%

40%
40%

Update: I loved the idea of making a spreadsheet to track goals: here's mine.

Main Quest: Beat agoraphobia & depression.

greenjasper, I'm just stopping by to wish you luck on this challenge! I really appreciate how self-aware you are and I really admire you for taking on these goals! You're such a good writer, might I offer a humble suggestion: when I struggled with my own bout of depression several years ago I took up journaling. A pretty good pen and an inexpensive spiral-bound notebook where were I started. It allowed me to be alone with my thoughts anywhere. I loved going to a coffee shop to write or even a bar and sipping a beer while writing. It got me out and among other humans, no human interaction required, and that was enough for me at the time. Just my $0.02. Best of luck on this challenge!

Lou186000
Battle Log: Battling at the Speed of Lou

aaaa42%

greenjasper, I'm just stopping by to wish you luck on this challenge! I really appreciate how self-aware you are and I really admire you for taking on these goals! You're such a good writer, might I offer a humble suggestion: when I struggled with my own bout of depression several years ago I took up journaling. A pretty good pen and an inexpensive spiral-bound notebook where were I started. It allowed me to be alone with my thoughts anywhere. I loved going to a coffee shop to write or even a bar and sipping a beer while writing. It got me out and among other humans, no human interaction required, and that was enough for me at the time. Just my $0.02. Best of luck on this challenge!

Thanks, Lou! It's taken me a lot of years to get to this point, but I keep reminding myself that I'm an adult and need to get my sh*t together like one. I really like your journaling suggestion and do strongly feel that if I did so regularly, I'd be able to empty out all the crap in my head and feel more calm. For now, all I'm really comfortable with is typing in a private blog from home, which is okay....but you're right. If I could just get over my self consciousness and write or doodle or journal in public, it would do a lot to expand my world.

Level 0 Recruit

20%
20%

40%
40%

I second the journaling suggestion. I started the moment I couldn't keep the crap in my brain in it's corner anymore. I started out journaling every single day but recently, not so much.. maybe every few days, but always when I have a click moment so I don't ever forget.

One thing that helped me was putting together a chronological log of my life from as early as I could remember. I wrote about anything I could remember good or bad. If I was writing about my teen years and had a memory about my earlier years, I jotted it down and then moved it into the appropriate section later. I won't lie. Some of it sucked hard. I cried through part of it as it dredged up all sorts of ugly stuff. I got ragey mad, like wanted to start hucking things at walls and scream mad.

But it helped. It helped a lot. I recommend journaling to everyone!

BayouPrincess / About / Battle Log / Challenges: #1, #2, #3

Hi, you dropped by my thread so I thought I would see what you were up to.

Something else you may want to check out is if there are any neat events or groups in the area you might be able to connect with. It certainly helps me with getting out of the house to know I'm going somewhere to do a thing and maybe meet a person.

Level 4 Drow Adventurer

Stats: STR 8 DEX 7 CON 7.9 STA 10 WIS 8 CHA 7.9

Daily Battle Log

1st | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th  | 7th Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Twitter

Omigosh, I opened Coffivity without realizing what it was and was so confused at the sound playing! But I'm actually kind of intrigued now. I might try that for a half hour or hour today and see how it goes. Thanks!

I've heard of the couchsurfing website, but I still have some reservations about it. (Maybe it's the whole idea of being a woman alone going into a semi-unknown situation.) Mostly I'd like to do the sleep-under-the-stars thing.

Yup ! That buzz like chattering sound. I find it annoying at first, but after a while, it kind of fill the atmosphere. Because I occasionally live alone, so I know how numbing silence can be sometimes.

Oh man ! I haven't go for camping for quite a while. And yep ! Being guarded by the zodiac are so much better !

I second the journaling suggestion. I started the moment I couldn't keep the crap in my brain in it's corner anymore. I started out journaling every single day but recently, not so much.. maybe every few days, but always when I have a click moment so I don't ever forget.

One thing that helped me was putting together a chronological log of my life from as early as I could remember. I wrote about anything I could remember good or bad. If I was writing about my teen years and had a memory about my earlier years, I jotted it down and then moved it into the appropriate section later. I won't lie. Some of it sucked hard. I cried through part of it as it dredged up all sorts of ugly stuff. I got ragey mad, like wanted to start hucking things at walls and scream mad.

But it helped. It helped a lot. I recommend journaling to everyone!

I actually went back through some three-year-old journals this evening. I had to transfer them to a cross-platform app anyway, because they've been stuck in DayOne which I can't access from my PC. So I'm going through and reading these old journals and poems and just started crying. I was so sad then, for many of the same reasons I am now. So many things that seemed traumatizing but perhaps also temporary and fixable are still things I'm going through now, that I have not fixed for myself. Things are different but the same. I feel like I've moved through time and learned nothing. I'm feeling very shocked and angry at my sad, awful self, but it's also pretty clarifying and motivating.

You're right. Looking back sucks hard. 

Something else you may want to check out is if there are any neat events or groups in the area you might be able to connect with. It certainly helps me with getting out of the house to know I'm going somewhere to do a thing and maybe meet a person.

I did sign up for a couple classes on backpacking related topics because it's something I'd like to get into, and I got myself a concert ticket for Sunday... so because I can't waste the money I spent, now I have to go! I may also check out Meetup and other things, but I don't want to overcommit and overbook myself. One day at a time and slowly going outside the comfort zone is key.

Level 0 Recruit

20%
20%

40%
40%