Cheap and Easy Chicken Ideas

guest4729

If you have a Winco in your area try out their seasoning section in the *bulk* area, they sell all sorts of seasonings by the pound, which makes getting small quantities insAAneLY cheap.

I've been using their pepper based steak seasoning on virtually everything for a couple weeks - chicken, pork, steak, turkey burgers (which I chop up and put in omlets and it's amazing).

I also learned how to cook meat intelligently, which was something I had no clue about when I started. My basic procedure with almost every meat is:

1. pat it dry

2. rub hella dry seasoning on it

3. heat up a little olive oil in the pan

4. cook it for a minute or so on each side on high

5. cook it for 5 minutes on each side on low with the lid on. Less on beef, sometimes a little more on a thick piece of chicken.

This gets you amazing, moist, thoroughly cooked meat with an extra tasty semi-seared exterior.

I usually crock-pot a whole chicken. Whole chickens are super cheap (usually) and the meat lasts me about a week.

It's literally take chicken, put in crockpot, toss on seasoning of choice (I usually do salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika). Set on low for 7 hours.

[Pixie | Warrior] Carjack: Muscles don't get confused. They only get angry. | Catspaw: I'm always willing to help dig holes for your bodies. | Twitter | Instagram | chammy has a log | chammy competes at the end

Easiest chicken recipes ever come from McCormick's Recipe Inspirations. I'm not plugging a product, but I LOVE these things.

http://www.mccormick.com/Products/Recipe-Inspirations.aspx

My favorite part is that you get to make recipes that normally take a bunch of different spices--and spices get expensive! These give you just enough to make a couple servings. The recipes I've done so far are also really easy (chicken cacciatore, yummm). I think they're about two bucks a piece, but they make enough for two or three meals, depending on how you load your plate up with veggies :]! I reckon you could use any of the spice blends on chicken, too, even though some of them say "tilapia" or "steak" or whatever.

I don't know if you're trying to do Paleo right now, but this is my go-to comfort food recipe. It couldn't be easier.

http://www.campbellkitchen.com/RecipeDetail.aspx?recipeId=24702

Some tips:

Add VEGGIES you can throw in as many frozen veggies as will fit. No need to thaw, anything.

Brown rice, use more liquid a cook a bit longer

If you have a Winco in your area try out their seasoning section in the *bulk* area, they sell all sorts of seasonings by the pound, which makes getting small quantities insAAneLY cheap.

I've been using their pepper based steak seasoning on virtually everything for a couple weeks - chicken, pork, steak, turkey burgers (which I chop up and put in omlets and it's amazing).

I also learned how to cook meat intelligently, which was something I had no clue about when I started. My basic procedure with almost every meat is:

1. pat it dry

2. rub hella dry seasoning on it

3. heat up a little olive oil in the pan

4. cook it for a minute or so on each side on high

5. cook it for 5 minutes on each side on low with the lid on. Less on beef, sometimes a little more on a thick piece of chicken.

This gets you amazing, moist, thoroughly cooked meat with an extra tasty semi-seared exterior.

I think I might try making it like that for dinner tonight. Normally I get home and throw it in the little bake oven I have and go take a quick shower after work while it cooks for 25-30mins.

>>Chammy - Unfortunately I get REALLY picky with leftovers. If I made a whole chicken I would most likely waste a lot of it because I have this weird thing where I don't really like to reheat food. I don't know why, but I just don't end up eating things I have to reheat unless it's like...a holiday. It makes cooking hard because I can't really cook ahead for fear of wasting food.

>>alexgator - I see those a lot at the store but they're pretty expensive for how little you get of each spice. I'd rather just buy each ingredient separately and then I can have them for like a year or two (or more).

That recipie from the Campbells website looks delicious but I'd have to make some adjustments because I don't like mushrooms (or cream of mushroom) and I'm trying to go more or less Paleo and I want to cut out almost all grains if possible. Rice would be my one weakness because I love it, but I'm trying to eat it much less frequently.

Also I'm a pain with veggies - I don't really like adding them in with meats (unless it's a stir fry) because again, my weird tendencies. I don't really like my foods touching, especially my veggies. I like them plain or with a pinch of salt and/or a bit of butter. Trust me, this annoyed my mom to no end when I was a kid...

I eat A LOT of foods, I just don't really like to mix them or their flavors. Boo on you, taste buds. Y U NO LIKE COMBOS?

>>Chammy - Unfortunately I get REALLY picky with leftovers. If I made a whole chicken I would most likely waste a lot of it because I have this weird thing where I don't really like to reheat food. I don't know why, but I just don't end up eating things I have to reheat unless it's like...a holiday. It makes cooking hard because I can't really cook ahead for fear of wasting food.

That really sucks :( The chicken comes out super tasty re-heated with a wet paper towel over it.

[Pixie | Warrior] Carjack: Muscles don't get confused. They only get angry. | Catspaw: I'm always willing to help dig holes for your bodies. | Twitter | Instagram | chammy has a log | chammy competes at the end

I buy a 3 lb package of boneless, skinless chicken breasts and cut them in half so that they are thinner. I then toss them in a bowl and pour in a bottle of whatever $2 30 minute marinade I bought that week. The marinades come in all kinds of flavors from teriaki, bbq, buffalo, herb and garlic, etc. I let it sit in that for 30 min to an hour while I do whatever else, then come back and toss all the chicken on a baking pan. Bake for 10 minutes at 375, flip all the chicken, bake another 10 minutes, then take it out and let it rest. I then take it out and toss it into tupperware in 3 equal portions (1 lb a meal). All in all I'm in the kitchen for about 10 minutes and I get 3 meals out of it.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I usually crock-pot a whole chicken. Whole chickens are super cheap (usually) and the meat lasts me about a week.

It's literally take chicken, put in crockpot, toss on seasoning of choice (I usually do salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika). Set on low for 7 hours.

THANK YOU! I will totally try this. I roasted a whole chicken and ate it for a week, but it was a bit more labor intensive than I would've preferred. (Read: WAY more labor intensive). Good chicken, though... I stuffed it with onions and garlic and fresh herbs and stuff.

Sorry I have fat fingers and a skinny phone! So yeah I throw salsa on chicken and bake it and it is delicious! All of the flavor soaks into the chicken. When I feel fancy I mix a spoonful of maple syrup and a little bit of mustard with the salsa and it is scrumptious.

Jediknightingale

Elf- Ranger

STR: 2 DEX: 2 STA: 1 CON: 3 WIS: 3 CHA: 4

Sweat is fat crying

Zombie thread, ahhh!!

I still do my same thing with the 30 minute marinade, but I do 5 lb at a time now.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf