• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Every assassination is about three phases:  Planning, Execution, and Extraction.  This challenge is all about refining what I've already got:  a good Assassin fitness program, and strong archery skills.  I want to improve each of my phases:  For the Planning phase, I want to focus on my home, family, and sanity.  For the Execution phase, I would like to get more accurate with my bow, preferably out to 30 yards.  I'm a pretty good shot at 20 right now, but it's harder and harder to be accurate at greater distances.  Lastly, for Extraction, I'm pretty well rehabbed from my chronic ankle injuries, and now I want to increase my distance running.  In order to keep it up, I want to maintain my flexibility to prevent injuries, and this means stretching.  

1.  Planning:  I will cook a healthy meal at home three nights a week for my family, record my food and exercise in MFP, and plan one family activity per week.  I will also meditate for 5-10 min six days a week.

tumblr_m9fejdVW0u1qmy3ugo1_500.png

Cooking:

3 Sessions, 6 weeks, 18 sessions total.  17-18 = A, 14-16 = B, 11-13 = C, 8-10 = D, <8 = F.  +2 CHA

MFP:

6 days, 6 weeks, 36 completed entries total.  >33 = A, 28-33 = B, 23-27 = C, 18-22 = D, <18 = F +2 CHA

Meditation:

6 sessions, 6 weeks, 36 sessions total.  >33 = A, 28-33 = B, 23-27 = C, 18-22 = D, <18 = F +2 WIS

2.  Execution:  I will practice archery at least once a week, with three volleys (3-5 arrows) at 30 yards in the sighting in range before hitting the 3D target range.  The first shot is the only shot that counts, though, so I'll record that first shot with a photo every time I go to practice. 

rangermaster.jpg

Archery:

6 sessions total, 6 = A, 5 = B, 4 = C, 3 = D <3 = F.  +3 DEX

3.  Extraction:  Right now, I'm running about 15 miles a week over three sessions, give or take a mile or two.  I want to keep that up, and make sure that I stay healthy.  This means running ten or fifteen minutes, and then stopping to stretch for a few, and then stretching afterwards, within three hours.  I'd also like to increase my once-per-week long run.  There won't be a schedule but I'd like to make an eight mile run before the six weeks is out.

Hoods-handy-for-keeping-out-the-rain.jpg

Running:

3 sessions, 6 weeks, 18 sessions total.  It doesn't count if there isn't any stretching.  17-18 = A, 14-16 = B, 11-13 = C, 8-10 = D, <8 = F.  +2 STA, +2 CON

Bonus:  8 mile run completed:  +1 STA, +1 CON

This schedule doesn't take into consideration any cross training, lifting, cycling, hiking, hunting, scouting, backpacking, etc that I might be doing in the mean time.   All that will still go on, I'm just not counting it.

• Like 4

I dunno... sounds a bit Rangery to me.  Some really cool stuff there.

As a fellow amateur archer, I cannot help but keep an eye on this challenge.  Especially the fact that you'll be posting pictures of your practice regularly.  Maybe that will inspire me to get off my arse to do some shooting.

My challenge is Tomb Raider themed, after all.  Archery is part and parcel there!

• Like 2

Rurik, you're absolutely right about it being a bit ranger-y. I mean, the thing that has planted me firmly in the assassin camp is the aerial work I do... But it's summer time, the aerial school is closed, and the only aerial work I'll be doing this challenge is a one week trapeze partnering class and a one week class on the traveling rings.

I'll have to cogitate on switching camps, at least for this challenge.

I'm psyched to know that somebody else is working on archery though! I'm looking forward to sub'bing your challenge once I get to a real computer (stupid phone).

• Like 2

Here to see the archery awesomeness! I like this challenge sir and love the endurance aspect. I NEED to be running at least 15 miles a week but I definitely am not. A long run is in the books at least once a week now that I have my hydration pack :)

Don't forget to post pics of the meals you cook! 

Wolf 

Rurik, you're absolutely right about it being a bit ranger-y. I mean, the thing that has planted me firmly in the assassin camp is the aerial work I do... But it's summer time, the aerial school is closed, and the only aerial work I'll be doing this challenge is a one week trapeze partnering class and a one week class on the traveling rings.

I'll have to cogitate on switching camps, at least for this challenge.

I'm psyched to know that somebody else is working on archery though! I'm looking forward to sub'bing your challenge once I get to a real computer (stupid phone).

Working on archery might be a bit generous.  I've been out to shoot all of one whole time so far this summer (and that was an abysmal showing).  Granted I had to borrow my sister's bow because mine is still back at my parents' place, and it's doubtful whether or not I'll make it back there any time soon, but I have the best of intentions.  That counts for something, right?

• Like 1

Good day today... Went to the new gym for a lunchtime yoga class. I see why people don't work out over lunch, generally. It took me about 1:40 to get there, do the class, and get back to my desk. No extra workout, no lifting, no nothing. It's sooo convenient to go to the gym in the building next to my work.

I'm thinking that once fall semester starts again I'll have to join again.

Tonight I did pull ups--which I've been neglecting. I did 8 chin ups, 6 "natural" grip pull-ups, and then 5 standard grip pull ups.

Grrr.

Picked up the custom orthotics from my PT yesterday and they are just weird.  More anti-pronation, more heel lift, not less of both as discussed.  Waiting to hear back from her.  Meanwhile this article in the NYT:  http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/18/health/nutrition/18best.html?pagewanted=all So, maybe I should just go by shoes that are comfortable to run in?  And not worry about expensive, irritating orthotics?  There are plenty of foot and ankle strengthening exercises out there... any thoughts?  I should probably go ask the Scouts their thoughts...  

This challenge is still a work in progress. I could make changes to the goals without any issue at this point.

• Like 1

Picked up the custom orthotics from my PT yesterday and they are just weird.  More anti-pronation, more heel lift, not less of both as discussed.  Waiting to hear back from her.  Meanwhile this article in the NYT:  http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/18/health/nutrition/18best.html?pagewanted=all So, maybe I should just go by shoes that are comfortable to run in?  And not worry about expensive, irritating orthotics?  There are plenty of foot and ankle strengthening exercises out there... any thoughts?  I should probably go ask the Scouts their thoughts...  

This challenge is still a work in progress. I could make changes to the goals without any issue at this point.

While this is solely my own experience, I went from the standard running shoe to minimalist shoes and loved the switch, but it took me quite a while to adapt my stride and running style to landing on the balls of my feet rather than heels.  Now I run everything except mud races in my Nano 4's.  I still like my Merrel Trail Gloves but not on concrete.  It wreaks hell on my knees.

I find that you can trail your feet to endure just about any sort of shoe.  It just takes time, patience, and a willingness to endure some discomfort.  But I have a fairly normal foot.  My poor girlfriend has terrible arches and needs all of the support she can get.  So your mileage may vary.

Yeah, I lie squarely in the abysmal feet category.  I'm injury plagued--hamstrings, achilles tendinopathy in both ankles, peroneal tendonitis, ITB syndrome, you name it and I've had it.  

I've run with and without orthotics, and both have their pitfalls with me.  My best season was running with, so I'm going with personal experience here.  But the thought of adding pronation control and heel lift is anathema to what me and my PT (who is a hard core ultra runner herself) discussed.

Anyway, excellent run at lunch today, 5.5 miles, 1000+ feet elevation gain, and temps in the upper 90s'.  I'm ready for my nap now... Oh wait I'm still at work darn it...

• Like 1

OK morning one down.  Recorded my food intake, so that's great.  One meal out of 126!

The weekend was most excellent.  Eight pull ups (I should have made that part of my goals--I have just a week to prepare my hands and forearms for a traveling rings class) on Sunday morning, 4.2 mile run Sunday, 12 mile mtb ride at altitude on Saturday... and waaaaay too much unhealthy food over the weekend... 

Planning a run at lunch today and a swim in the pool with the kiddo this afternoon.  More pull-ups tonight... 

ETP says I should be eating about 168 grams of protein and 100 grams of fat daily.  So I'll be loosely shooting for that, and making up any caloric gains or deficits in carbs.

Here's hoping I can get up to the range tomorrow after work to take my first recorded 30 yard shots :)

• Like 2

Daaang, MG is like THE Assassin! Remind me not to get on your bad side. ^^

Awesome plan, bro. You'll perforate it from the shadows before it ever knows your there.

• Like 1

Back from the run.  4.5 miles, not sure how much elevation gain but probably 500-800', 560 calories, avg pace 11:19.  Lunch shortly.  Thanks for the support, Phayze and Urgan!  I promise not to picture your avatars on the target ;)

OK morning one down.  Recorded my food intake, so that's great.  One meal out of 126!

The weekend was most excellent.  Eight pull ups (I should have made that part of my goals--I have just a week to prepare my hands and forearms for a traveling rings class) on Sunday morning, 4.2 mile run Sunday, 12 mile mtb ride at altitude on Saturday... and waaaaay too much unhealthy food over the weekend... 

Planning a run at lunch today and a swim in the pool with the kiddo this afternoon.  More pull-ups tonight... 

ETP says I should be eating about 168 grams of protein and 100 grams of fat daily.  So I'll be loosely shooting for that, and making up any caloric gains or deficits in carbs.

Here's hoping I can get up to the range tomorrow after work to take my first recorded 30 yard shots :)

I didn't realize you're a fellow ETP'er!  That's awesome.  I followed ETP strict for a the last 1.5 challenges but I'm scaling the calories back a bit this time around to crunch out a cut.  I'm also working on pullups this challenge, similar to you, and am floating around 8 at the moment.  Fighting for 10 by challenge's end, but 12 would be the icing on the cake!

• Like 2

I didn't realize you're a fellow ETP'er!  That's awesome.  I followed ETP strict for a the last 1.5 challenges but I'm scaling the calories back a bit this time around to crunch out a cut.  I'm also working on pullups this challenge, similar to you, and am floating around 8 at the moment.  Fighting for 10 by challenge's end, but 12 would be the icing on the cake!

I'm actually not full-fledged ETP but I used their calculator to find my target macros, since the MFP calculator I'm using bases their macros on percentages of net caloric input for the day.  But I'm lurking about on their site, reading and reading when I have time... Looks pretty cool, and makes sense so far.

Lunch was half a chicken breast on a slice of "real" multi-grain bread, an apple with 2T peanut butter, and a big carrot.

Dinner, with any luck, will involve something called "Sirloin" :)

• Like 1

Great opening day, though I neglected to meditate (actually I had forgotten that was part of the challenge  :numbness: ) but I managed to make it under the goal for MFP, recorded all food, ran 4.5 miles, and cooked for the family.  Dinner here:

Steak and veggies

Rest day today, due to too many days running and riding leading up to today.  Hope to get to the range after work though...
  • Like 2

Day two was good, though lunch was an over the top grease festival.  Couldn't eat much after that.  Went to the range after work with the apprentice, and shot five volleys of four arrows at a target at 30 yards.  First volley was LAME but after that things got better.  I have a picture but it's hardly worth posting.  For comparison to six weeks from now I guess.  The rest of the range was pretty good, definitely averaged an "8" or higher on all the 3D targets, even out to 35 yards.  So that's something!  Closed out the evening with a meditation session, 1 min of planking, more push ups than I can remember, and 8 standard pullups.

This morning kicked off pretty good with another meditation session, and I just got back from a 5.5 mile run (1 hour, 600' elevation gain, 650 calories, average pace 11:09).

Anyway, here's the picture.  The first shot was one of the two over by the turkey's head.  Not even on the target!!!  Fortunately the four volleys that followed were progressively better.  But, the first shot is the only one that counts!

Week One 30 yards

• Like 2

Oof, yesterday was one of those crazy days where I did too much cardio and there was no way I was going to eat enough calories to make up for it.  Just too much--I think I came in with a net intake of about 1400 cals.  Not enough.  For a "healthy meal" I made chicken breast Philly style "cheesesteaks".  Overall fairly healthy, considering the name.  I grilled the chicken, and sauteed the peppers, garlic, and scallions (we were out of regular onion) separately.  When the chicken was done, I brought it in and sliced it super thin, and then plopped it in the sautee pan with the pepper mix, mixed it all up, and sprinkled a tiny bit of leftover skim mozzarella cheese we had from making pizza this weekend over top.  502 calories, and 51g protein.  Paired that with some leftover watermelon and a mixed veggie stir fry, and it was a good meal, albeit a little low on protein.  Here's a photo, without the hoagie roll (I'm the only one who ate one of those, in a desperate attempt to consume more calories):

chicken cheesesteak

Other than not getting enough food, it was a good day.  

Here's the mid-week tallies:

Cooking: 2/3

MFP:  3/6

Meditation:  2/6

Archery:  1/1 (39 arrows)

Running:  2/3

• Like 1

I feel you on resorting to bread, crackers--anything to try to compensate for too little calories. Hope today works out better.

• Like 1