• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

hehehe...

So, I want to learn instinctive shooting just to see if I can make sense of it, because when I've tried it it hasn't made any sense at all.  You see, I love my compound for the accuracy and power it has.  I started with a compound because I thought that I'd be able to improve more quickly than with a recurve or longbow, which has been absolutely true.  But, part of me thinks it would be a great challenge to try and get good without all the advantage the let-off, sights, and pins give me.  That's all.  

Didn't get to practice yesterday, between visiting my mechanic friend for help with my van and the drive up to Estes Park to meet the wolves.  I think I'll have time to get up later this week though.  On the other hand, I think it's going to be another week where I don't get out to run as much as I want to.  I'm still putting in at least an hour of cycling a day, which is the exercise equivalent of an hour running, but since it's for transportation it doesn't fulfill the challenge requirements.  Wish I'd thought about that before I wrote my challenge!

Anyways, here's the recap for week two:

Planning

Cooking:  2/3.  We ended up eating out one too many nights this week, probably because of the ADF.  Total so far:  5/6

MyFitnessPal:  6/6, doing great!  Total so far:  13/12

Meditation:  4/6, not bad. Again, I blame ADF for eating my free time!  Total so far:  9/12

Execution

Archery:  1/1  Total so far:  3/2

Extraction

Running w/stretching:  1/3.  Lame.  One 5.25 mile run on Saturday.  Sunday required a day off.  Total so far:  4/6

Looks like a fairly decent week.  One or two minor hiccups, but you're crushing the archery so I'm totally there!  Instinctive shooting sounds like a valuable skill, and a ton of fun!

• Like 1

Week three off to a good start (except not having time to run)....

Made a healthful chicken stir-fry for the family last night.  1 chicken breast, grilled with a little soy vey, combined with about 4 cups total chopped carrots, celery, peppers from our garden, and some frozen peas.  The family had theirs with white rice, I just had mine plain.  After that, I made salads for myself and Mrs. MG for today, and then set about making a large batch of arepas de choclo, which is a Colombian corn bread sort of a thing.  Kind of a cross between pao de queso and a corn flapjack, they're super yummy and delicious.  

Spent an hour and a half working on partnering on trapeze yesterday, which was super challenging but fortunately I'm not feeling any deleterious effects this morning.  I suppose my sacrum is going to feel bruised if I have to do another sacrum hang today, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.  60 minutes or so of bicycling rounded out the day.  MFP recorded, but unfortunately no meditation last night.  Didn't even remember that that's part of my goals for the week until this morning :|

OK!  I'll remember today!

• Like 2

I attempted to introduce conventional meditation into my weekly routine a couple of challenges ago but I just couldn't wrap my head around the concept.  It isn't how I'm wired.

Found that dedicating some time when I needed it, usually before and after work more than anything, to some quiet time listening to my favorite music was more than enough to get me centered.

But good for you keeping at that goal.  Have you noticed a big improvement throughout the days you get your meditations in versus the days you don't?

• Like 2

I attempted to introduce conventional meditation into my weekly routine a couple of challenges ago but I just couldn't wrap my head around the concept.  It isn't how I'm wired.

Found that dedicating some time when I needed it, usually before and after work more than anything, to some quiet time listening to my favorite music was more than enough to get me centered.

But good for you keeping at that goal.  Have you noticed a big improvement throughout the days you get your meditations in versus the days you don't?

Yeah.. no not so much.  I keep thinking it'll help me stay focused at work, but no. 

I definitely think that my trail running does for me what meditation does for other people.  Though it often leaves me more spacey than focused :)  But, I've put it in my challenges once or twice before, hoping that if I really give it a hard solid go, I'll see the difference.  The thing is, it's such a low priority for me most of the time that it's the goal I least often succeed at.

• Like 1

I definitely think that my trail running does for me what meditation does for other people.  Though it often leaves me more spacey than focused :)  But, I've put it in my challenges once or twice before, hoping that if I really give it a hard solid go, I'll see the difference.  The thing is, it's such a low priority for me most of the time that it's the goal I least often succeed at.

Trail running for stress relief--why not?

• Like 2

Yeah.. no not so much.  I keep thinking it'll help me stay focused at work, but no. 

Nature recharges my batteries.  Walk, run or just standing quietly around, this fella right here needs his wilderness time to keep functioning.

• Like 2

....aaaaaa....... work took over my life today....

Did get to go to partnering on trap.  Will eventually post some pictures of me hoisting beautiful young women whilst on trapeze....

• Like 1

Wow, what happened to the weekend?  What happened to last week?  

For those not in the know, I work IT and AV services for classrooms here at the University of Colorado.  Killer job.  Love it.  But, we have our busy times, and since school starts in a week, right now is probably the worst of it.  Taking a class during week two of the Aerial Dance Festival was probably not such a good idea, since it ate into time that I didn't really have, making last week super super busy.  This week will be even worse.  I'm booked solid today from 7AM til 3:30 PM.  Then I've got to change the oil in our van (for our camping trip this coming weekend, and the three weeks of road trips that follow that).  So today ain't gonna happen.  Didn't even ride my bicycle in this morning, since I've got so many things to do this evening.  At least I'll be able to make a healthy dinner for the family.  Leftover chicken + leftover steak + tortillas + garden grown peppers = fajitas!

Seriously though, I can't believe how long it's been since I went for a run.  Not even once last week.  Which means tomorrow I'm back with a vengeance.  

I'm scrapping the Meditation goal, since it's not doing anything for me.  

At least archery was a success this week.  I went to practice yesterday morning, with broadheads since it's time to start practicing with those.  Had some great shots at 30 yards, and when I closed in to 20 yards it was just easy and pretty darned accurate.  I'll post four pics, the first set of three are the first volley at 30 yards with broadheads, and the fourth is another volley at 30 yards with regular field points, after I put my broadheads away.  I won't shoot broadheads at the same target, since if you happen to get really accurate and hit your first arrow with another one, you can basically say goodbye to both arrows.  Learned that one the hard way.  

Anyway, here's the recap for week three.  Let's call it "trapeze and work ate my life":

Planning

Cooking:  3/3.  Total so far:  8/9

MyFitnessPal:  4/6, could have been better.  Total so far:  17/18

Meditation:  2/6, Forget this goal.  not helpful.

Execution

Archery:  1/1  Total so far:  4/3

Extraction

Running w/stretching:  0/3.  Lame.  Total 4/9.  Need to get to work on this one!  I know why it happened, and again, I made sure I got plenty of other exercise this week, so it's not that I'm slacking, it's just my running time turned into trapeze time this week.  I know myself, and I'm notoriously bad at doing cardio or weights any time other than lunchtime.  And, for the past two weeks, lunch time has been aerial time.

This week I'm able to run Tuesday through Sunday, though I probably won't run much over the weekend since we're camping again.  Maybe once, Saturday morning?  And we'll be in PRIME mountain biking territory, so I'll definitely be doing that!  So, I'll likely hit the running goal for the week but might not exceed it (to make up for the past two weeks).  I will need to find time to go up to the range some night this week, if I want to hit that goal this week.

• Like 2

I'm scrapping the Meditation goal, since it's not doing anything for me.  

At least archery was a success this week.  I went to practice yesterday morning, with broadheads since it's time to start practicing with those.  Had some great shots at 30 yards, and when I closed in to 20 yards it was just easy and pretty darned accurate.  I'll post four pics, the first set of three are the first volley at 30 yards with broadheads, and the fourth is another volley at 30 yards with regular field points, after I put my broadheads away.  I won't shoot broadheads at the same target, since if you happen to get really accurate and hit your first arrow with another one, you can basically say goodbye to both arrows.  Learned that one the hard way.  

Sounds like you're making the right decision there; one I can relate to entirely.  If it isn't your cup of tea and doesn't seem to make any positive contribution to your life, there is no reason to keep trying to force yourself into it.

Whooops, here's the pictures.  Threw in a fifth picture of the apprentice, practicing with his bow.  

Three deer

One turkey

The apprentice

Love the 3D range, and that you're getting the little ones involved.  Nice work!  Can't wait to get out shooting myself now!

• Like 3

Sounds like you're making the right decision there; one I can relate to entirely.  If it isn't your cup of tea and doesn't seem to make any positive contribution to your life, there is no reason to keep trying to force yourself into it.

This, agree 100%.

Those are some really dead deer, lol. And in case you somehow weren't aware, your kid's adorable (and seriously color-coordinated. Dem arrows.). 

• Like 1

This, agree 100%.

Those are some really dead deer, lol. And in case you somehow weren't aware, your kid's adorable (and seriously color-coordinated. Dem arrows.). 

Thanks for that!  Yes, the kiddo is a cutie.  I love how SERIOUS he looks shooting that bow.  Too serious for a four year old...

Anyway, back to work.  Busy friggin day.... no time for anything!  

• Like 3

Yup yesterday was a nothing day except that even with zero actual exercise, I didn't exceed my caloric goal for the day.  I went from 7am to 2pm without eating though, so that threw me off.  I did get a lot of physical activity though, changing my oil, taking out the brake pads on my car, lugging around wheels, etc...

Today I'm hoping to get out for a run.  Things are sketchy, time-wise, though.  Too much going on.  

Good breakfast, no lunch plans (aside from the quick run), and tonight is a potluck with some old friends, so.... must be aware of what I'm eating :)

• Like 1

Yup yesterday was a nothing day except that even with zero actual exercise, I didn't exceed my caloric goal for the day.  I went from 7am to 2pm without eating though, so that threw me off.  

Ouch. I used to do that sort of thing back when I weighed 90~ lbs. I'd get distracted or I just really wasn't all that hungry...if I tried that now, hoo boy. Plz to eat something for lunch?

Yup.  Plz am starving now?  Just ate grapes but must wander to student union for something more substantial before running trainings all afternoon.

Reminder to self:  Don't take 10 days off running.  It makes running less enjoyable.  I suppose now I have some empathy for those pre-runners who think running is so hard...

• Like 1

Returning to training after ten days off of anything is really rough.  I feel like a newbie even when I'm forced to take 4 days off from the gym.

What... why are my legs so weak?  What is this?

• Like 2

Yup. Yesterday's work conspired to keep me busy all day, through lunch, and well after work let out.  No run yesterday which was probably a good thing since my hams are a little upset with me.  Will definitely head out again today; planning to bump up to 4.5 today and then run a 6 over the weekend while we're camping.  Everyone will be happy I've got a camp shower!

Also planning to bring the compound bow and a target camping so I can keep practicing with the broadheads.  Though measuring an accurate 30 yards without a range finder might prove a challenge  :)  

Still recording the food intake, which is good.  Can't believe we're half way through the challenge.  Also can't believe the summer is over.  Students move back into the dorms today, and already campus is feeling crowded.  I love it in the summer when it's basically like a ghost town...

• Like 1

Heading off into the wilderness again tonight.  Plan for the weekend is to get a long run (6mi) in, and to practice archery in thick woods.  Bringing my bow, broadheads, and a foam block target.  When not doing that, I'll be either mountain biking or chillin' in a hammock :)

Fun times with the family, basically.  

See y'all next week!

• Like 1

Just back from a great weekend at Kenosha pass.  12 mile mountain bike ride saturday, 6 mile trail run sunday.  Have pics and some video of Mrs. MG riding through a stand of aspens to share, plus my archery practice from 30 yards on Saturday morning.  Drilled right through my friend's target at 30 yards, at three separate aim spots.  

It's 7:30 on the first day of classes here at the U of CO, and I've got to go assist professors in learning the technology in their classrooms.  Plus I'm teaching today.  So I doubt I'll be putting up those updates anytime soon.  But for the weekly recap, here goes:

3 runs, with stretching 3/3 yay!

4 days recorded 4/6 boo.

1 archery session.  1/1 yay!

3 healthy dinners cooked.  3/2 yay!

• Like 3

First shot of the morning.  30 yards, in the woods.  Am especially psyched at how well this is all coming along!

30 yard broadhead shot

Here's some video of Saturday's bike ride; a flat spot in the aspens right before getting technical and downhill again. That's Mrs. MG on the bike!

• Like 2

Just got caught up and MAN, you've been busy lately. But it sounds like the past weekend you had a lot of fun! I'm digging all the archery pics and seeing how good your accuracy is getting! Also glad to see you realized the meditation goal was going no where and scrapped it-that shows how in tune you are with your goals.

Your little dude's looking like a champ with that bow drawn-he does look pretty serious for a 4yr old, but maybe he's embodying his inner Arrow..

Wolf

• Like 1

All I can say is, man is that trail beautiful.

No exercise yesterday or the day before.  The first two days of school are like working in an ER--just non stop high stress madness.  I don't think I sat down either day except when I was teaching workshops.  And then I was up and down, up and down... 

Today the plan is to run at lunchtime.  Though it'll be 90 out.  But as they say, "It's a dry heat."

I've been too busy to record the food intake this week.  The weekend was kind of a bust since Kenosha Pass is in a celluar dead zone.  But that's all fine.  Weight is staying the same and some things are getting stronger.

This weekend is another big camping weekend.  We're heading up to Rabbit Ears Pass area again.  We'll be gone from Friday through Tuesday.  Can't wait!!!

• Like 1