• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Just back from a tempo run, 4 miles at 9 min miles.  Super fun, super fast.  Lunch with the engineering team at a diner today, so I needed to get some caloric burn in before lunch... Stretched during and after, so that's a win for the running/flexibility plan!

• Like 2

Day two was good, though lunch was an over the top grease festival.  Couldn't eat much after that.  Went to the range after work with the apprentice, and shot five volleys of four arrows at a target at 30 yards.  First volley was LAME but after that things got better.  I have a picture but it's hardly worth posting.  For comparison to six weeks from now I guess.  The rest of the range was pretty good, definitely averaged an "8" or higher on all the 3D targets, even out to 35 yards.  So that's something!  Closed out the evening with a meditation session, 1 min of planking, more push ups than I can remember, and 8 standard pullups.

This morning kicked off pretty good with another meditation session, and I just got back from a 5.5 mile run (1 hour, 600' elevation gain, 650 calories, average pace 11:09).

Anyway, here's the picture.  The first shot was one of the two over by the turkey's head.  Not even on the target!!!  Fortunately the four volleys that followed were progressively better.  But, the first shot is the only one that counts!

Nice work.  I'm going to use you as my motivation to get my arse out and shooting before the summer ends.

tumblr_nrn3s0gEfQ1rdsiguo1_500.gif

Just back from a tempo run, 4 miles at 9 min miles.  Super fun, super fast.  Lunch with the engineering team at a diner today, so I needed to get some caloric burn in before lunch... Stretched during and after, so that's a win for the running/flexibility plan!

Nice work!  That's a decent pace to keep up for that kind of volume.

• Like 2

Here comes the weekend!  Tonight we drive to Rabbit Ears Pass to camp out under the blue moon... tomorrow a long long hike/trail run for me, while the kiddo and Mrs MG hike about... Sunday back up to Ft. Collins for a day-long archery workshop... busy plans!  I'll have spotty cell coverage but the nice thing about camping is one has their meals pretty much planned before the day, so I could potentially enter them into MFP before I leave.

Yesterday was another major caloric deficit day.  Like, 1000 calories down again, between the bike riding and the running and the "oh yeah I forgot how to eat enough."  It seems that yeah, I have forgotten how to eat enough for that much cardio.  I'm trying to keep up with the protein numbers but I am consistently falling short.  Last night I ate 6 oz of lean sirloin and it still wasn't enough for the day.  Then, I had planned to supplement with a protein shake, but the instructor we're hosting for the Aerial Dance Festival showed up right before I was going to make it and it completely slipped my mind.  Anyway this morning I weighed myself, and was a solid 2 pounds lighter than when I weighed myself Monday morning.  Which is a lot for two days and could be water gain/loss except that I drank nearly a gallon of water yesterday.

Anyway, last night's dinner for the family was yummy taquitos made with the leftover sirloin from Monday.  Nothing original, but simple and delicious.

Tacos

For me, 2 organic corn tortillas, 1 oz of cheddar, 6 oz sirloin, 2 oz sauteed red peppers (from Wednesday's cheesesteaks), and a half a cup of cubed sweet potatoes.  Oh, plus lettuce and a dollop of salsa.  Mrs. MG had a little less, and the kiddo's portion was even smaller.
  • Like 2

No workout for me today--work pushed back lunch by more than two hours, and I ended up not having time to get to the gym.  Eating my salad and leftover grilled chicken right now.  I'm out in an hour, and then home to finish packing for our overnight camping/scouting trip tonight.  So psyched to see the blue moon from the continental divide~!!!

On the upside, I won't have such a caloric deficit today :P

You be makin' me hungry.

Trust me I was STARVING last night.  I really can't say "no more double-cardio days" because I know they will happen.  I just need to learn to plan better, or maybe just be more excited about protein shakes, or maybe be more willing to go out and buy small amounts (no more than a day's worth) of more calorie dense snacks... I'm talking to you, BACON!

https://youtu.be/32RupDwrIuA

• Like 1

Sounds to me like you might need to make calorie dense snacks be a thing as a fall-back plan for making calories. Bacon, any kind of dairy, jerky, avacados, peanut butter, bacon...?

• Like 2

Looking good closing out week 1 MG! Keep up the target practice man! I have to live vicariously threw you these days until I can get a bow of my own...which, honestly, probably wont be till Christmas time. Oh well, good things come to those who wait...but great things come to those who take it! (Lol, I dunno, that just sounded appropriate to continue on with that saying.) The food looks yummy!

Wolf

• Like 1

Good weekend!  Drove up the Rabbit Ears 4x4 road... no easy feat for an 87 VW van!  Didn't make it all the way, but made it up high enough to make a nice campsite in a little copse of trees near a meadow.  The full moon was out in all its glory and my 3am bathroom break was one of the most sublime I can recall.  Woke up at 6, and had summited a little off-trail peak just west of Rabbit Ears Peak by 7:30.  Saw elk tracks, and took in the wonder of it all.  Made it back down by 9:00 and then shortly rolled out of camp and headed east and south for another shorter family hike.  Saw an actual elk (OK, Mrs. MG actually spotted him) off in the woods a ways.  Lovely country up there!

family

skies

Yesterday was spent at an all-day archery and backcountry skills class, taught by three old timers who are all life-long bowhunters.  Learned so much!  The second half of the day was all about archery, and we spent a few hours learning about tracking, range estimation in the field, and various other things.  Had a great time!  Here is a photo of my first 30 yard shot of the day:

shot

Probably my best first shot ever.  I was aiming for the bright orange sticker.  For reference it's about 2" in diameter.
  • Like 1

OK, week one recap:

Planning

Cooking:  3/3, right on track.  Made some delicious steak, and something with chicken.  So yummy, so healthy.

MyFitnessPal:  7/6, doing great!  Extra day!  This was a useful endeavor, as it showed me at the end of my double-workout days what I was doing to myself, nutritionally.  I really need to start finding more sources of protein.

Meditation:  5/6, not bad.  The highlight of the week was my walking meditation (specifically practicing meditation while walking, rather than just hiking and letting the mind wander) during my morning hike up to Rabbit Ears Peak.  Amazing.

Execution

Archery:  2/1!  Managed to get two sessions in, one on my home range and one at the Fort Collins outdoor range.  Had a GREAT first shot in Ft.C!

Extraction

Running w/stretching:  3/3.  Solid.  Three runs at approx five miles each, and one six mile hike.

This week poses an interesting challenge:  I forgot that the aerial dance festival was happening this week, and so I might not be able to get out for as many runs as I'd like.  In fact, the only days I definitely have enough time to run are Saturday and Sunday, since every day for lunch I have to leave work, drive across town, do an hour and a half of traveling rings, and then drive back in a state of starvation because it's 1:00 and I've not eaten yet... With any luck, Mrs. MG will afford me the time to get out after work one day.  Though, admittedly, I am loath to do cardio after lunch.  The same actually holds true for next week as well, except I won't have to leave work to get to my partnering trapeze class.  I just have to head across campus.  Which is easy enough.  

Lunch today was a chicken breast, a salad, a bowl of grapes, and earlier this morning, a pre-workout banana.

• Like 1

What day is it?  Did yesterday go by without an update?

The aerial dance festival is underway, and I'm taking a class called "Traveling Rings".  Basically there are nine metal gymnastic rings suspended from the ceiling of the studio, in a 3x3 grid, about 30' on a side.  The idea is to make interesting dance/movement traveling between the rings.  Sometimes this involves a simple (hahahaha) tarzan-style swing, and other times you're inverting or dislocating during the transitions.  Sometimes you're just holding on with one hand and running in a circle, letting the momentum carry you off the ground.  It would be like flying except it's really challenging to hold on with one hand.  Anyway, I'm doing that for an hour and a half every day this week, and then getting my cardio on by riding my bike to and from work, and to and from the studio.  Actually, the bike started yesterday because the old girl was in the shop getting some replacement spokes, and I had to drive.

Anyway, that's a little more than an hour of bike riding today and yesterday, plus the upper body work.  

Then last night we went to the archery range and I had a very good first volley.  The target in the picture is actually much smaller than the target I usually use, as there were kids at the range, using the forward firing line, so I had to shoot at a different target to make my 30 yards.  Regardless, the three targets combined are just a little smaller than the one target I shot the first week.  Shot two volleys at the sighting in range, where I usually do, and the distances are known, and then headed out to the range, since I wanted to make sure we didn't stack up while walking the range.  So, I made my additional 30 yard volleys while on the range, though some were more like 35 yards and others were more like 40.  It was a fun time, as Mrs. MG was shooting too, and the apprentice was following along.  For some reason he didn't want to shoot his bow (wha?  When I was 4.5 I would have LOVED to have a bow to shoot!!!)

So, I'm on a streak with the MFP recording, ever day now since we started the challenge and that's good.  I'm falling behind on the meditation though--Missed yesterday and Monday.  I'll have to double down for the rest of the challenge to make the grade!

Here's the picture.  I'm pretty sure my first shot landed in the blue ring.

Target 8-04-15

• Like 2

Awesome week 1 recap sir! Great job on the precision shots with the bow-you are becoming a marksman before our very eyes! Rabbit Ears Peak looked like so much fun dude!! The scenery..all of it man, I just want to be there and enjoy it all too. By the way, during the full moon, did you hear my howl? Haha.

4.5...27.5...I can't seen anyone NOT wanting to shoot a bow. Maybe you intimidate him with your expertise? :)

Wolf

• Like 1

One hand is soooooooooo hard.  I struggle with it even with wrist locks, honestly!!!!!  Are you enjoying the class?  I am super jealous!  I want to hear all about it on Saturday. :D

• Like 1

One hand is soooooooooo hard.  I struggle with it even with wrist locks, honestly!!!!!  Are you enjoying the class?  I am super jealous!  I want to hear all about it on Saturday. :D

I am enjoying the class, though I'm experiencing new bruises on my hands that I've never had before...  In the only video I've taken, I fall off a ring after doing rollover, so I'm not posting that!

I have to say that one hand on rings is easier than on fabric, since you're holding onto a horizontal surface.  But it generally hurts more.

Awesome week 1 recap sir! Great job on the precision shots with the bow-you are becoming a marksman before our very eyes! Rabbit Ears Peak looked like so much fun dude!! The scenery..all of it man, I just want to be there and enjoy it all too. By the way, during the full moon, did you hear my howl? Haha.

4.5...27.5...I can't seen anyone NOT wanting to shoot a bow. Maybe you intimidate him with your expertise? :)

Wolf

Yup, it was a fun trip.  Let me know if you want to come to CO.  As for the little guy and his bow, he's so into his legos these days that he doesn't want to do anything else.  I don't know why but in the past three weeks he's decided he doesn't like playing piano or shooting the bow.  I'm just giving him time; he'll either come around or not.  Little guys are like that :)  As for my expertise, hahahaha!!! At the class this weekend there was this 14 year old girl with a trad recurve bow, no pins, no sight, and she was pegging every 3D target at unknown ranges with complete ease.  Made me want to cry.  

Funny thing though, living in Boulder, CO, home of more elite athletes than anyplace else in the US:  There's ALWAYS going to be somebody better than you.  And by "you" I mean "ME" :)

• Like 1

What day is it?  Did yesterday go by without an update?

The aerial dance festival is underway, and I'm taking a class called "Traveling Rings".  Basically there are nine metal gymnastic rings suspended from the ceiling of the studio, in a 3x3 grid, about 30' on a side.  The idea is to make interesting dance/movement traveling between the rings.  Sometimes this involves a simple (hahahaha) tarzan-style swing, and other times you're inverting or dislocating during the transitions.  Sometimes you're just holding on with one hand and running in a circle, letting the momentum carry you off the ground.  It would be like flying except it's really challenging to hold on with one hand. 

That sounds like a ton of fun.  Is that a regular class or just kind of a season one-off pick me up as you go kind of thing?  I love Gymnastics work.  I wish we did more rings techniques at the box beyond muscle-ups and ring rows.

Then last night we went to the archery range and I had a very good first volley.  The target in the picture is actually much smaller than the target I usually use, as there were kids at the range, using the forward firing line, so I had to shoot at a different target to make my 30 yards.  Regardless, the three targets combined are just a little smaller than the one target I shot the first week.  Shot two volleys at the sighting in range, where I usually do, and the distances are known, and then headed out to the range, since I wanted to make sure we didn't stack up while walking the range.  So, I made my additional 30 yard volleys while on the range, though some were more like 35 yards and others were more like 40.  It was a fun time, as Mrs. MG was shooting too, and the apprentice was following along.  For some reason he didn't want to shoot his bow (wha?  When I was 4.5 I would have LOVED to have a bow to shoot!!!)

Wow, sounds like a good week for archery.  Keep this up; it's an excellent read, and it has the added bonus of adding fuel to the spark to get me back into archery... when I get my bow back.

tumblr_lup5lnxwae1qj5jb0o1_500.gif

• Like 1

Yesterday was a mixed bag for sure.  Meditated (YAY! FINALLY!), cooked a healthy dinner of Kefta (persian ground lamb meatballs) with rice and mixed veggies, also the last of the Trader Joe's naan because I'm trying to clear out the freezer, rode about 15 miles over about 1:10 throughout the day (not in a row, lots of commuting), and had my traveling rings aerial class.  We worked on bungee flips, forward and backward rolls in the air, coning, traveling, and a little bit of partnering.  That's where things went south.  

When you're on the traveling rings, if you are both going for another ring, you both have to catch it.  If only one of you catches it, then you end up holding both people's weights between the two rings all by yourself.  Which is what happened when me and the girl I was traveling with headed towards our second ring.  I held on, she missed, and then she fell, taking me with her to the ground.  Of course, it was only a fall of five feet or so, but she landed right on me and I got the double impact right on my hip.  Slam! to the floor and simultaneously Wham! right on top of me, and without a mat at that.  Which really left a mark.  It actually woke me up in the middle of the night. So, I'm trying to keep mobile (standing, cycling as often as possible) today and downing the ibuprofen.  

In other news, I got into the trapeze partnering class for real.  I was first on the wait list, so hooray.  Hopefully my hands will recover enough for that class by Monday :)

Random thought for the morning:  I think I want to start practicing instinctive shooting with a more traditional bow once winter comes around.  

• Like 1

Owwwwwwwww oh aerial injuries.  I'm babying a few..... been taking my share of falls recently.

Partnering!  I'm getting more interested in trapeze.... maybe someday...... COME TO ME MONEY.  I want to do trap and rope but still do fabric.  FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS.

After fabric I'm sure you'll find trapeze easier.  Different bruises.  So many fun things to do, so little time.  Money will come... I'm waiting for my son to go to Kindergarten (b'bye $1000/mo daycare bill!) before I can do more than what I can right now...

You can probably alternate between fabric and rope and stay competent between both.  I think they're kind of synergistic.  Who knows, maybe you'll end up like Maria and develop a preference for rope?

• Like 2

Sunday morning. About to call it a "day off" even though that means I'll have only completed 1/3 of my running goal for the week. It was impossible this week to find the time to run in addition to the 1.5 hours of rings class and 1 hour of biking necessary to get to and from ring and to and from work. I will allow extra running to count towards the total though, since all the cycling was certainly effective cardio. My MFP totals show that. I ate like a pig, lost more than a pound this week, and obviously didn't hit my nutrition macros.

Today the family and I are going up to Hermit Park to check out the wolves they have there! I'm thinking of you, Wolfenstein! It's a wolf conservation group and they have some wolves they rescued from whatever and today they're set up at the park. With any luck I'll get to meet one. Love me some wolves--my spirit animal for sure.

After that it's up to Fort Collins to get my arrows fixed. Ordered a half dozen and they came in 1/2" too long. Grrrr.

Yesterday at the aerial showcase performance I saw one AMAZING dude named Teo who showed me that aerial silks is not just for girls. Amazingsauce! This video doesn't do what he showed yesterday justice:

http://youtu.be/ssLkHUn6bYg

Anyway the show was great, met up with StarsApart and StillSkies for dinner afterwards (had to choose the day with only one workout to eat out twice? And a pizooki???) which was lovely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Wolf time... did someone call howl my name??

Good stuff man..minus the fall. But it sounds like you're being a trooper about it all. Hoorah for saving $1000 a month on child care. My wife stays home with our boys for that VERY reason. You do a lot of fun things, MG, I love it.

What's making you want to use the traditional bow for instinctive shooting? I know traditional bows tend to becheaper and I thought about my 1st "bow purchase" to be a traditional one, so hearing your thoughts on the subject is a must!

*Gathers around a fire to hear the wondrous tales of MediaGuy and his bow*

Wolf

hehehe...

So, I want to learn instinctive shooting just to see if I can make sense of it, because when I've tried it it hasn't made any sense at all.  You see, I love my compound for the accuracy and power it has.  I started with a compound because I thought that I'd be able to improve more quickly than with a recurve or longbow, which has been absolutely true.  But, part of me thinks it would be a great challenge to try and get good without all the advantage the let-off, sights, and pins give me.  That's all.  

Didn't get to practice yesterday, between visiting my mechanic friend for help with my van and the drive up to Estes Park to meet the wolves.  I think I'll have time to get up later this week though.  On the other hand, I think it's going to be another week where I don't get out to run as much as I want to.  I'm still putting in at least an hour of cycling a day, which is the exercise equivalent of an hour running, but since it's for transportation it doesn't fulfill the challenge requirements.  Wish I'd thought about that before I wrote my challenge!

Anyways, here's the recap for week two:

Planning

Cooking:  2/3.  We ended up eating out one too many nights this week, probably because of the ADF.  Total so far:  5/6

MyFitnessPal:  6/6, doing great!  Total so far:  13/12

Meditation:  4/6, not bad. Again, I blame ADF for eating my free time!  Total so far:  9/12

Execution

Archery:  1/1  Total so far:  3/2

Extraction

Running w/stretching:  1/3.  Lame.  One 5.25 mile run on Saturday.  Sunday required a day off.  Total so far:  4/6

Might be starting the five day flexibility progression today.  That's in addition to partnering on low-flying trapeze starting today.  I seem to have forgotten how hard that stuff is--we started the class with simple work on the trap, where both people are basically doing the same thing on the trapeze.  I got to base a girl for tandem laybacks, which was cool, and I got to be based by the same woman.  Also tried to do a tandem sacrum hang, where she does a sacrum hang on top of me... that was PAINFUL!  OMG all her weight right on top of me (no comments from the peanut gallery, you try balancing 145 pounds on your hip) while I'm balanced backwards on a 1" diameter bar that is digging into my sacrum...  We held it for maybe 10 seconds, not long enough.  No photos were taken so I can pretend it didn't happen...
  • Like 2