• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ElizeElvinFoxRyder

elizevdmerwe: Amazon-Mom Rainbow Promises to herself

I'm booking time to exercise beforehand. It is marked off in bright green on my desk pad calendar (and shortly on my cellphone as well), alongside purple dates for the boys' sport, and orange and grey for other appointments. Very important stuff are marked in red - cannot move those, so plan around them. All in all looking quite bright and colourful. I'm putting my foot down to my own procrastination and half-heartedness.

Last challenge I started loosing weight between the walking, water drinking and heart-pumping Quidditch matches. Who knew I could do more than 1000 broad jumps? I didn't. So I'll be focussing on walking, water, sleep, and some strength and ob.course work to up the heart rate, to help me loose fat.

EDIT: Forgot to add that working on projects around the house on a weekend will count to either Strength or Ob.Course, depending on what I work on.

Progress Bar Colour Code:

• Orange: <75%
  • Blue: 75-85%
  • Green: 85-100%

Goal 1 Loose Fat: up to 3CHA

For every 1kg that I loose, I score 1CHA - up to 3kg in 6 weeks is sensible. Currently 86kg AGAIN! :neglected: 33.3% for 1kg.

0%
0%

The Support Team:

1. Fluids: up to 2CON

• Water (750ml) + 2xTea (Herbal/Rooibos) (400ml mug) during the day instead of other beverages. This is +-1.5Lt a day. Filter coffee is still permitted early morning, lunch time and after dinner. 2.38% per day.
    • <75% -> 1/2CON (21-31  days total)
    • 75-85% -> 1CON (32-36 days total)
    • 85-100% -> 2CON (36-42 days total)

0%
0%

2. Sleep: up to 2WIS

• Sleep 7+ hours at night. 2.38% per night with enough sleep.
    • <75% -> 1/2WIS (21-31  days total)
    • 75-85% -> 1WIS (32-36 days total)
    • 85-100% -> 2WIS (36-42 days total)

0%
0%

3. Sugar-Free: up to 1WIS+1CON

• Have sugar free days - Fruit (1-2 per day), a little bit of honey/cinnamon sugar in the pumpkin does not count. Mainly looking at chocolates, sweets, juices, cool drinks, etc. on the culprit list. I don't drink sugar in coffee or tea.
  • I have two free days during shark-week which won't count. 2.5% per day
    • <75% -> 1/2CON (20-30  days total)
    • 75-85% -> 1CON (31-34 days total)
    • 85-100% -> 1WIS+1CON (35-40 days total)

0%
0%

Goal 2 Exercise:

The Support Team:

1. Walking to The Lonely Mountain: up to 2STA

• Walk at least 2 days a week. Distance doesn't count, it is about getting out. 5% per day
    • <74% -> 1/2STA (10<15 days total)
    • 75-85% -> 1STA (15-17 days total)
    • 85-100% -> 2STA (17<20 days total)

0%
0%

2. Strength: up to 2STR

• Weight and Body Weight once a week. 16.7% per day
    • <74% -> 1/2STR (2-3 days total)
    • 75-85% -> 1STR (4-5 days total)
    • 85-100% -> 2STR (6< days total)

0%
0%

3. Obstacle Course/BW: up to 2DEX

• Get the heart rate up by doing two circuits of the following once a week. 16.7% per day
    • <74% -> 1/2DEX (2-3 days total)
    • 75-85% -> 1DEX (4-5 days total)
    • 85-100% -> 2DEX (6< days total)

0%
0%

399146_orig.gif

• Like 2

ooooh! Our challenges are so similar we can help each other stay on track! Water will be the hardest thing for me at first. But, sugar is my nemesis so I can use an Amazon-Mom on my team :)

• Like 2

ooooh! Our challenges are so similar we can help each other stay on track! Water will be the hardest thing for me at first. But, sugar is my nemesis so I can use an Amazon-Mom on my team :)

I'm so glad to have you at my back! You definitely have my support. Those are my two biggest problems: water and sugar. I know as soon as I start drinking more water, I loose weight, (don't know about the cellulite?) and feel a lot better. I checked my veggie intake, and I can use a bit more, but basically just have to cook/make more.

Between my exercise time, the boys' HS and sport, my book orders, and having to finalise hubby's provisional tax report, I fear I won't be able to join in the Mini's this challenge.

• Like 2

Some detail on the Exercise part:

• Walking Warm Up:
    • Jumping Jacks 10x
    • Knee Swivels 10x
    • Normal walks in and around the area, then find a walk at a cave as our next destination is the Goblin Caves.
  • Strength Warm Up:

Sitting_zps0ab8868c.jpg

• Strength Exercise Sets:
    • Barbell Overhead Press: 2kg x 10 | 2kg x 8
    • Deadlifts: 10kg x10 | 10kg x 8
    • Knee Push Ups: x10 | x8
    • Bridge: x10 | x8
    • Side Planks: 30s | 30s (never done this, so don't know actual time I can hold)
  • Obstacle Course Warm Up:
  • Obstacle Course Circuit: Do 2 Circuits
    • Box Jumps Up the stairs (10 steps - just jumping up stairs part of the video)
    • Monkey Bars Traverse (can hang on one, but not move fwd)
    • Climb Over - Crawl Under 5x
    • Balance Beam 3x
    • Vault Over - Step Under 5x

03-climb-swing-frame.jpg

• Like 2

Looking forward to another great challenge.Cool that you have some have the unbreakable wrist stuff. I find doing the bear, frog and monkey a great fun way to warm up.

• Like 2

Looking forward to another great challenge.Cool that you have some have the unbreakable wrist stuff. I find doing the bear, frog and monkey a great fun way to warm up.

Thank you for that link. I just found that if I don't put some of the things I need to do in the warm up part, then I don't get around to it, or worse, I sometimes skip warm up! So this way it is two birds with one stone. Have you started a new challenge thread? Between you and Lightning I have all the tenacity at my back, and would love to follow and support you again, if possible.

I see you have all the goodies again, and yes, that unbreakable wrist stuff looks brilliant, elastigirl, I might be another "borrower" of those ;)

Love how much you do outdoors, well of course you do have good conditions for it most of the year, lucky you :) Still I would probably too and just don't do it. And your boys are probably all excited for lots of this, too, are they?

Am here to gape and cheer on.

Do drink all the 

200.gif

it's soooooooooooooooooo good for you  :love_heart:

• Like 2

Edit: adding colours ;)

Ooooooh, pretty colors and even prettier goals. Excited to see you beat your expectations. ;)

Thank you! I hope not to disappoint. I will have to pull out a few stops and add a bit more than planned - get the old brain juices flowing to improvise other places to walk if I want to get max points this challenge.

I see you have all the goodies again, and yes, that unbreakable wrist stuff looks brilliant, elastigirl, I might be another "borrower" of those ;)

Love how much you do outdoors, well of course you do have good conditions for it most of the year, lucky you :) Still I would probably too and just don't do it. And your boys are probably all excited for lots of this, too, are they?

Am here to gape and cheer on.

Do drink all the 

200.gif

it's soooooooooooooooooo good for you  :love_heart:

LOL I love that cat  :playful:  When my water bottle is filled and on my desk, I don't have a problem drinking water; however I realised it is when MY water bottle "get feet" (via youngest too lazy to look for his own water bottle that "traipse" around the house) that I stop drinking water. So I am in two minds about this because firstly - Rocco is now drinking more water (which I really, really want!) but I am pulling on the short straw with regards to drinking water! And of course if I have to share a bottle, then I don't know how much water I drunk. But I think I'll make him a deal or something to see who drinks the most water and if he drinks from my bottle, and mine is empty first, then he looses.

I try to squeeze outdoors in as much as possible, otherwise we only go to the appointments (boys' sport, town, etc.), AND I realised that I can go for days that I hardly leave the house, except to open and close the gate for hubby when he leaves/arrives home. I need that bit of nature and sun so badly to stay positive and just "get out". The boys have been enjoying our walks in the botanical gardens' wild trail, as well as the nature reserve tremendously, and that is part of my "treatment" to keep my hair in my head. Then again, because we home school, and I have a bit of general knowledge on plants, animals, insects, etc. every time we walk outdoors we learn, because we discuss everything around us, or those things the boys find interesting.

Also, I don't particularly want to leave the boys anywhere else (friends, no family close by), as I love their company, and outdoors calm me enough, recharge my batteries to such an extent that I can handle their energy levels better - and the rule when we are on trail is BE QUIET. They can always go to friends for an hour or two (I've had many offers), but then we are pushed to finish within a certain time (I'm selfish, I don't like rushing :redface-new: ), I feel like I am taking advantage of said friends, and should use these generous offers only in an emergency, and as I mentioned before, we all learn so much being out together.

I think in my heart I am a farm/nature girl, living in the city, or as the words of a song says: "boer in beton" (farmer in the concrete jungle). When it warms up a bit more, and the spring rains are done, hubby wants to start camping with them in our back garden. Teach them a lot of what he learned as a Boy Scout (Voortrekker).

Eish, sorry for the essay, but I am rather passionate when it comes to nature and the boys. :redface:

• Like 1

Hubby's birthday is tomorrow, and he requested carrot cake with cream cheese frosting. Yesterday afternoon I tried to bake a cake for office, one for home, and prepare dinner, totally forgetting about LOAD SHEDDING! Hah, had a friend dropping in for an emergency chat as well. Her son has aspergers (mixed with epilepsy and chron's disease), and her batteries were just running flat with him developing a new "tick". I was SO PROUD of my two boys who piped down their energy and voice levels, and calmly tried to distract and calm down their friend! They just took it in their stride and distracted him. They were just awesome with him yesterday! :love_heart:

The only down part was on my side, by taste-testing too much of that yummy frosting!

BUT - Next week! Next week I stick to my goals. :loyal:

• Like 2

from what i can tell your boys are being homeschooled for junior school?  My boyfriend was homeschooled for high school and he did really well - he's a lawyer now and will be doing his MBA next year.  I love that you're taking the boys on nature walks with you and that they're learning from that. 

Anyway, I'm following you this challenge - It's about time :P

• Like 1

Hubby's birthday is tomorrow, and he requested carrot cake with cream cheese frosting. Yesterday afternoon I tried to bake a cake for office, one for home, and prepare dinner, totally forgetting about LOAD SHEDDING! Hah, had a friend dropping in for an emergency chat as well. Her son has aspergers (mixed with epilepsy and chron's disease), and her batteries were just running flat with him developing a new "tick". I was SO PROUD of my two boys who piped down their energy and voice levels, and calmly tried to distract and calm down their friend! They just took it in their stride and distracted him. They were just awesome with him yesterday! :love_heart:

The only down part was on my side, by taste-testing too much of that yummy frosting!

BUT - Next week! Next week I stick to my goals. :loyal:

What you said about your boys is so sweet. :). We have finally found a homeschool group that fits us. My son is on the spectrum and the kids and parents in this group have embraced him. On days that my son is feeling quiet they let him be or gently ease him into activities and the parents know that they may not see us for a week or two but we will show up again when life allows.

I didn't have anything as delicious as carrot cake to contend with but I'm still sneaking in a few treats before the official start of the challenge. Once Monday arrives I'm sure we will both be ready to hit the ground running!

• Like 2

Oh my, I don't think I could resist taste testing the frosting either. Sounds like your boys are very sweet and sensitive to the needs of others.

Problem is I made too much, so there is a small container in the fridge... but I have actually had enough.

The boys really surprise me every now and again. They are totally willing to go out of their way to accommodate him, and proved it one night he slept over (he insisted!). With their other friends? Not that easy sometimes. Kids! Adults!

hi there! that walking pants with rainbow torso thing is pretty alarming, I'll be honest. but I'm here for your challenge! :)

LOL, I thought, "wow a picture of exercise being done with a rainbow! " and not much more...

from what i can tell your boys are being homeschooled for junior school?  My boyfriend was homeschooled for high school and he did really well - he's a lawyer now and will be doing his MBA next year.  I love that you're taking the boys on nature walks with you and that they're learning from that. 

Anyway, I'm following you this challenge - It's about time :tongue:

Yes, we HS and they are in primary (roughly gr.R/1 and gr.1/2), but we plan (with Grace) to HS right through. That's great news about your boyfriend. Most HS that are now studying, that I know of, are doing very well. I can only hope and pray the same for our boys. Thanks for following me, I really appreciate it!

What you said about your boys is so sweet. :). We have finally found a homeschool group that fits us. My son is on the spectrum and the kids and parents in this group have embraced him. On days that my son is feeling quiet they let him be or gently ease him into activities and the parents know that they may not see us for a week or two but we will show up again when life allows.

I didn't have anything as delicious as carrot cake to contend with but I'm still sneaking in a few treats before the official start of the challenge. Once Monday arrives I'm sure we will both be ready to hit the ground running!

Our group has been going for two years now, and it is a steep learning curve with him, but we love him to bits. He is 9 years old. For some or other reason he has decided that our family is his second family. He first "fell in love" with hubby, because he is very muscular and strong, and at that stage C had the "tick" to want to exercise his muscles all the time. I'm the only one who are allowed to talk "sternly" to him, and he listens, especially if he is in a destructive mood. The boys... he is just calm around them, and they are normally everything but calm! So when his mom runs out of energy or he asks to come see us (other than on group days), she comes over for a visit, or we pop in there.

I'm so glad that you found a group where you fit! Our group means the world to me.

• Like 2

Some of you might remember the breakfast issue I was having with Youngest son in a previous challenge. We wanted to change the boys from gluten-free Futurelife cereal to something else that is gluten-free with less soya-protein. Healthy food choices as well as exercise was our "theme" throughout June, and most of July since we got back home.

Well Oldest took to his old favourite mealie-porridge, and even liked coconut porridge, if he couldn't have scrambled eggs (and bacon/sausage). Youngest... he decided these last couple of weeks that his favourite breakfast is carrots, cucumber and strawberries, with the added treat of pork sausage or boerewors when available.

graphics-carrots-041295.gif

So that combination covers carbohydrates, vit.C, vit. A (beta-carotene) as well as other nutrients rather well, not to mention healthy fats and protein if combined with sausage. Of course I have to remember his cup of (raw) milk. Breakfast sorted, and I really can't complain about his decision.

• Like 3

Yummy carrots everywhere :D Isn't it awesome when you have something in your fridge and it doesn't even tempt you anymore because you've had enough? I love when that happens, shows me my body is looking well after itself.

Your boys learn being so wonderful to their friends by your amazing example. You can be very proud of them.

Yay for groups that are right there and fun and wonderful :)

• Like 1

*Running out to refill my water bottle*

It's going to be a great challenge!!

Good that you're joining the water club! I think most of us have it as a priority this challenge.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I planned to exercise (fasting) just after hubby leaves for work in the mornings, around 7am, and it might just work out ok. Otherwise I'll try for the afternoons when it is a bit warmer, but it won't be a fasting exercise.

Did my strength routine this morning and somewhere between the cold and it being so long since I did proper strength training, I was very stiff and weak!

• Warm Up: Wrist Walks shortened to 2m each. Stiff, lethargic legs. Bushman squat: go down to a squat position then hold on to table to go all down. Will learn to balance and do without holding on to something.
  • Barbell o.head press - 2.5kg + 7kg bar (9.5kg) sets of 10x and 8x
  • Deadlifts - 9.5kgkg + 7kg bar (16.5kg) sets of 10x and 8x
  • Knee Push Ups - sets of 10x and 8x
  • Bridge - sets of 10x and 8x
  • Side Planks - 7 seconds - 2 sets - each side
  • Cool Down: All kinds of stretches, especially muscle where arm meets shoulder. Stiff and sore even before I started.

Measurements:

Middle: 86cm

Hips: 113cm

L. Thigh: 67cm

R. Thigh: 68cm

Weight: 86.3kg

• Like 1

Yes, we HS and they are in primary (roughly gr.R/1 and gr.1/2), but we plan (with Grace) to HS right through. That's great news about your boyfriend. Most HS that are now studying, that I know of, are doing very well. I can only hope and pray the same for our boys. Thanks for following me, I really appreciate it!

When I was in university, I tutored two little girls in Junior School Afrikaans, English and Maths. When the oldest got to Grade 7 level, she decided that she wanted to go to mainstream high school, which worked out well for her too. 

• Like 1

Yay on getting started on the strength training despite cold and stiff and love how you planned great warm ups and stretching with every workout. You could look at it this way: you are giving yourself a nice starting point for improvement and as I know you you will improve quickly anyway, you just gave yourself some contrast today that will make progress just that much the sweeter ;)

Keep rocking Gryffindarling

• Like 1

When I was in university, I tutored two little girls in Junior School Afrikaans, English and Maths. When the oldest got to Grade 7 level, she decided that she wanted to go to mainstream high school, which worked out well for her too. 

We'll cross that bridge when we get there, but it is a way different life style and family-point of view. :) So cool that you were able to help those little girls.

Yay on getting started on the strength training despite cold and stiff and love how you planned great warm ups and stretching with every workout. You could look at it this way: you are giving yourself a nice starting point for improvement and as I know you you will improve quickly anyway, you just gave yourself some contrast today that will make progress just that much the sweeter ;)

Keep rocking Gryffindarling

Hubby laughed this morning when I told him my legs were stiff. He was amazed because I helped him on Sunday to move his "Skedonk"-car. An old shell that he is busy building up to one day become a rally car. The thing is SUPER heavy, and I had to put a lot of legs and back into helping him pick up and shove, because the breaks on one of the wheels were rusted solidly tight!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Adam had a tooth removed yesterday. Due to his pallet being so high it causes abscesses the moment he gets even a small hole, or worse, when he is about to loose a baby tooth. Long story short - the tooth came out yesterday in bits and pieces. He asked us whether the Tooth Mouse (its Africa, not a lot of fairies around here ;) ) will still bring him some money, and typical me, I asked him to write a letter to Mr. T. M. to explain why he thought he should still get the money. All he wrote last night was: "I was very brave at the dentist." So yes, of course the Tooth Mouse (daddy) did leave some money, with a signature on the letter which Adam wasn't impressed with.

Edit: added pic.

Thomas-Tooth-Mouse-Logo.jpg

Then this morning I had to tell him that one of his favourite friends in the support group is leaving the group. She is a year older than him, they both love animals, Minecraft, Zoo Tycoon, similar books, etc. and they can chat for hours about those things. She is how ever, growing up, and at a place where she needs more girl friends, and some of the activities she wants to do with them is at the same time that our support group gets together, so... I promised that we'll still visit and see them, if we can. He was very disappointed, but his brother, Rocco, is taking it as a personal insult that the friend won't be coming again. He immediately said she is off his birthday list for hurting his brother's feelings!

Will be walking while they do Playball this morning. I need to get rid of a lot of frustrations and pent up emotions this morning.

we have a very nice breeze of fresh wind over here, which is delicious after the hot summer days. Sending you some to help vent and freshen up again ;)

This too shall pass and you are all on a great journey.

Thanks! I feel a lot better after the walk and got some clear perspective on things. And I did not even grab chocolate! At least the lady from Playball are impressed with how much Adam and Rocco's motor control and abilities have improved. Adam specifically has been practising bouncing balls, dodging and jumping, and of course since hubby works in town now, shorter hours, he has been playing a lot more with them! So our exercise has improved all around the house, because hubby either goes to gym some mornings or cycles to work!

rainbow-sun.jpg

• Like 2