• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

DreamDancer

DreamDancer jumps for joy

DreamDancer jumps for joy (JFJ)

I'm another baby Assassin (recently leaving Adventurers... and the shire.)

Backstory : I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia and sjorgrens syndrome in 1995, and with reactive hypoglycemia around 2003. I became a certified massage therapist in 2004, but also worked as a bookseller at B&N. Between 2001 and 2004 I lost about 70 pounds and weighed 115 by 2004.

Around 2008 I got in an upward spiral with the hypoglycemia and by 2009, weighed about 140. I was T-boned while driving by an uninsured driver who ran a red in 2011. I gained 20 lbs and started a new job painting pottery where I sit a lot and lift heavy stuff intermittently. I opted not to get a new car and moved downtown where I could catch all the busses, figuring that walking is good for my health.

Last October I was crossing an intersection on my way to work (in a crosswalk, with the walk sign) and was hit by a pick-up truck. I had physical therapy but still walked with a limp and rapidly gained another 20 lbs by April (so topped out around 178).

I found Nerd fitness in April and have lost about 16 pounds and most of the limp doing challenges.

I keep telling my boyfriend that someday I will be able to run and jump around, evading danger, like Salmon Khan in "Ek Tha Tiger" or "Debangg". Or Eggsy in "Kingsmen" . Or Parker in "Leverage" . (OK so the real goal there is to be "20 pounds of crazy in a five pound bag.")

My bf keeps laughing, but if a car or truck is headed my way while I am trying to cross the street, my new improved plan goes something like this:

-box-jump up and springboard off the hood
- grab the wire holding up the street light
- flip around that a few times, like Wesley in Princess Bride
- fling myself to the other side of the street
- and land in a perfect gymnastic dismount position, completely unharmed (but hopefully scaring the dukie out of the driver so they pay more attention to what's going on around them in the future ) .

Anyway - while I don't plan to get hit by a truck again, it never hurts to have a plan and be prepared.

:onthego:
Workout Goal   
MAIN LEVEL:

Work up to a full 3 set workout using the basic modifications. If I manage it ahead of schedule, or feel this level is getting too easy, then move to the next modification level.

If, on the other hand, I am hurting too much or face some other physical setback (due to fibromyalgia, etc) I will keep doing the workout at the level I managed the previous week.

I will do the whole modified BBWW Monday, Wednesday and Friday, using the hip, shoulder and knee physical therapy stuff I have been doing as the warmup. (i.e knees Monday, hips Wed, etc.) as long as I still have pain in those areas.

10* Push-ups - Incline Pushup

15* Bodyweight Squat - Box Squat

10* Inverted Row - One Arm Dumbbell Row

20* Bodyweight Lunges - Assisted Split Squat

15 second Plank - Knee Plank

*Do as many as I can – and just try to do at least one more the next workout, but be able to do a full set by the end of the week according to the schedule below. (this is a continuation of my last challenge)

Week 1-2:
One set of each with good form by the end of week 2.
Week 3-4:
Two sets of each by the end of week 4.
Week 5-6:
Three sets of each by the end of week 6.
Thursday and Tuesday will be jump rope days. I found a bunch of articles on how to teach a kid to Jump rope. I don't have any idea how many I will do by the end. For now I am just going to keep doing more than last time.

5 days per week = A
4 days per week = B
3 days per week = C
2 days per week = D
1 day per week = F

:moon: 
Sleep Goal part 2  

I will will set the Jawbone UP2 wristband to wake me up 5 minutes earlier each week, as long as the week before was successful, and go to bed when the app tells me to as it adjusts bedtime to the goals set in the app.

Overall goal -continue to get at least 7 hours sleep, according to the Jawbone UP2 wristband, but adjust my sleep schedule so I am able to get up by 6:30, or earlier by the end of the challenge. (getting up at 6:50-7 now)

Week 1-2:
Week 1: wake by 6:45 consistently.
Week 2: wake by 6:40 consistently.

Week 3-4: start to fit the workout into my morning routine.

Week 3: wake by 6:35 consistently.
Week 4: wake by 6:30 consistently.

Week 5-6:
Week 2: wake by 6:25 consistently.
Week 2: wake by 6:20 consistently.

(edited post because I hadn't noticed that my phone spell check said 'wake up Constantly'! <--and I don't need any practice doing THAT!)

If all this goes according to schedule, eat breakfast before work. (trying sweet potato with cinnamon and egg with turmeric, after the workout. )

5 days per week = A
4 days per week = B
3 days per week = C
2 days per week = D
1 day per week = F

:watermelon: 
Nutrition goal:
Eat more vegetables.

Week 1-2:
Add salad at dinner.

Week 3-4:
Add zucchini and avocado at lunch.
Week 5-6:
Add sweet potato and cinnamon at breakfast.

Vegetables for lunch and breakfast are subject to change.

5 days per week = A
4 days per week = B
3 days per week = C
2 days per week = D
1 day per week = F

:love_heart: 
Side Quest :
Do an 8 minute meditation program through week (as planned out in a book that I am reading.

5 days per week = A
4 days per week = B
3 days per week = C
2 days per week = D
1 day per week = F

Measurements-

(pounds and inches)
Weight = 163
Waist = 37
Hips = 41
Chest = ????
Thigh L =19.5
Thigh R = 20

bicep L = 11.5

bicep R = 12
Neck = 14

Height = 4' 11" (despite all the hanging upside down. - I did 'grow' half an inch though!)

• Like 1

Nice job with your new goals, you are going to be busy busy :)  You've taken what you learned in the last challenge and incorporated it here.  You are going to do awesome!

"20 pounds of crazy in a five pound bag."

I kinda wanna be that ;)

• Like 1

Nice job with your new goals, you are going to be busy busy :) You've taken what you learned in the last challenge and incorporated it here. You are going to do awesome!

"20 pounds of crazy in a five pound bag."

I kinda wanna be that ;)
So it looks like I might have planned something do-able this time? (I want that tee-shirt I have been promising myself!)

I have my phone set up (which mostly meant getting rid of all the duplicate apps. Seriously, I might have spent more time logging my stuff than I did working out - or even sleeping!)

JFJ BATCAVE CUSTOMIZATIONS

The biggest batcave overhaul is in the kitchen.

:watermelon: Eat veggies: Remove Barriers to Your New Healthy Habits

Step 1-took everything out of the kitchen - out of cupboards, fridge, storage containers, etc - and put it all in a gigantic pile outside of the kitchen. (Except if it was still good and requires refrigeration or freezing. Or if it obviously needs to be thrown out.)

Step 2 : bought an as seen on TV zucchini noodle maker.

Step 3: sat back a while assessing counter space, cupboards and fridge - to work out what should go where. Looked up what foods should NOT be refrigerated. (It turns out that I have been keeping a lot of those in the fridge.)

Step 4: put things back in the place that makes it easiest to access and prepare vegetables before any other foods. Also store garlic, onions etc outside of the refrigerator.

:watermelon: Eat veggies: Add Barriers to Block Reverting to Old Habits

1. Stashed legumes and gluten-free grains in an out of the way closet, up high. I was a vegetarian for a long time and love Indian food made from recipes in the Krishna Consciousness cookbook (almost all of which involve rice and legumes... I just can't bring myself to throw it out, or give it away - at least not yet yet.

Step 2 : take nonfood items that are good and usable to the place in the basement where we can put things for other people to take. (This step is difficult for me as I used to be something of a problem hoarder. I still hoard a bit, but not like a producer could do a TV show around it... but I have a one room studio apartment, and just so much actually fits in it. )

:onthego: Workout: Remove Barriers to Your New Healthy Habits

This is mostly done due to previous challenges. For the jump rope portion I downloaded a counter app to a very small android I can easily put in my pocket. I had some problems jumping while worrying about my galaxy S3 falling out. I couldn't find any app that adequately and accurately counted jumps from my wristband or pedometer.

:onthego: Workout: Add Barriers to Block Reverting to Old Habits

I think I will have to stock up on Epsom salt. One of the biggest barriers to working out according to this schedule is that it seems to take longer for my muscles to recover than other people's, (probably due to the fibromyalgia?) An Epsom salt bath helps with the pain. So this will help block not doing the workout due to pain (and it will also help with sleep.)

:moon: Sleep: Remove Barriers to Your New Healthy Habits

I was using too many apps to log sleep... And factors that interfered with sleep. So I removed those from my phone.

Most of this got dealt with last challenge.

I can't watch TV while in bed - I sleep in a lot bed and the TV lives under it - No way to watch TV and attempt to sleep at the same time!

:moon: Sleep: Add Barriers to Block Reverting to Old Habits

*Still working this one out.

:love_heart: Meditation: Remove Barriers to Your New Healthy Habits

I needed to time the meditation, so I added it as an 'exercise' at the end of my workout plan in the app. This way I don't have to access yet another app for timing and logging purposes. And I have to do the meditation before logging the workout for the day.

:love_heart: Meditation: Add Barriers to Block Reverting to Old Habits
*Still working this one out.

Revised part of the bathroom while I was at it, since we found a little cart to take the place of a chest of (sticky) drawers. This way I can roll the cart over the scales, instead of having to put them in one of the drawers that didn't open. It's still a deterrent to weighing myself obsessively...

The kitchen modification is nearing completion. I knew I was throwing away a LOT of produce before, but now I have a much better idea of what and how much I should buy in the first place. (I used to shop for a family of 8 and never really got a handle on fixing food for one or two. I ate take out a lot. )

The fridge crisper is a lot more sparse than it was. I had packed it full of every kind of thing. It turns out that veg and fruit should not be stored together at all - especially apples.

I only have one drawer, so now it's holding:

1. Celery - rinsed, wrapped in a paper towel and foil.
2. Radishes - rinsed with the little tails cut off. Stored in a glass jar with a damp paper towel.
3. Zucchini - stored in the package it came in.
4. Salad -four types of lettuce plus spinach - rinsed, air dried for a few hours on a bath towel, then rolled up in the bath towel with the ends secured. <-- of all the ways people said to store produce this seemed strangest in some ways, but most logical in others. The idea is to unroll the towel as needed.

The tomatoes and some avocados are on the counter on a special plate. Avocados were on sale... Some are in the fridge.

Sweet potatoes are on a shelf by themselves, but not in the fridge. Onions and garlic are in the cupboard, by themselves. Grapes are in the fridge, toward the back near the top and away from the veg.

I need to buy some paper bags to put the onions and sweet potatoes in.

The only things on the counter are a food processor, salad dressing cruet and a utensil crock. The counter had been packed so full that I now have no idea how I was finding anything.

The bottom shelf of the cupboard has a small food processor for grinding nuts a bullet type blender, a digital kitchen scale and things for chopping up food. The drawer that used to hold screwdrivers and tools now holds a vegetable mandolin and other grating type kitchen tools.

My kitchen is an L-shapped area, about 5 x 7 foot, with one wall that juts into the main room. It's quite small.

I got a migraine around 6 pm last night and now I have to finish this project anyway.

I am not sure what triggered the migraine. Since I have been eating paleo, the only trigger foods I still eat are coffee and chocolate (which I cut back on, drastically.) I did have that pizza last week... But that was 6 days before the migraine set in.

I do get a migraine 'prodome' but never seem to figure out that's what it is until after I get the 'aura'. I get anxious during the prodome part. I get blue sparlkies during the aura, and odd breathing patterns. Then it feels like my eyes will pop out and I get extremely nauseous when the headache sets in - but it's a *full body headache * everything hurts. It's usually more right sided.

This time I did feel like my neck muscles were extremely tight before it started. I initially figured I had exercised bits and pieces that weren't used to it, but now I realize that it was part of the migraine.

I wish I could nip these in the bud - but I have been having them for decades.

My kitchen is tiny.  When we bought the house we said we were going to redo it one of these days.  Well, that day has never arrived :)  Alton Brown's Gear for Your Kitchen really helped me declutter my kitchen just have have what I need.  Cooking is much easier now.

Paper bags - some grocery stores have several sizes of paper bags at the checkout.  Ones for wine bottles may work for your potatoes, and they are free :)

How do you like your zucchini noodle maker?  Does it do more than just make noodles?

I really like that you added meditation to your workout app, that is a great idea.

Alton Brown's Gear for Your Kitchen really helped me declutter my kitchen just have have what I need.

I will have to check that out. I've been kind of winging it - loosely based on 'Organizing From the Inside Out' I think that's the name of the book I read anyway. You make SPACE - sort- purge-allocate - containerized - and e-something. My version is to throw everything in a big pile, put the containers back first, then put things I use all the time in the containers and get rid of everything else.

I have picked up a LOT of stuff in the past 6 years. I sold my life on eBay and moved here with two cats, their necessities - and whatever else fit in a Dodge Neon. My little Spectre kitty died not long after :( but Alexander is doing great. Anyway it's just amazing how easy it is to accumulate more stuff.

Paper bags - some grocery stores have several sizes of paper bags at the checkout.

I am probably just going to buy lunch bags. They might have paper bags at the other registers but I usually use the self checkout. It's a concession I allow my OCD brain.( I have clinical OCD, largely under control through behavior modifications. No meds. But I do allow myself to keep a few compulsive behaviors, because they are relatively innocuous. It's one of those pick-your-battle things. )

How do you like your zucchini noodle maker? Does it do more than just make noodles?

It just cuts veggies into spirals, and I think the instructions gave a few ideas for raw salads. I didn't try it yet. (Already tried to make noodles with the mandolin, which didn't work, so I got this thing.) I think you can use it with other veggies, but it really looks like zucchini shape ones will work best.

I probably won't try it out till Tuesday, as I have coding class tomorrow night - and also have to work out.

With any luck this darn headache will go away by then. I may have figured out what is triggering them now - but I should stop staring into the phone screen! (I have a smart phone addiction!) So I will probably write that up Tuesday as well.

Love the way you are working at barriers to your new habits. One thing I am finding that helps with the not reverting to old habits, is to really work on developing the new habits until they are solid before adding new ones. My life goal for 2 challenges and a side goal for the last challenge was the habit of a morning routine, because I struggle with that. I wanted to make it a goal until it was just a default that happened without thought.

Love the way you are working at barriers to your new habits. One thing I am finding that helps with the not reverting to old habits, is to really work on developing the new habits until they are solid before adding new ones. My life goal for 2 challenges and a side goal for the last challenge was the habit of a morning routine, because I struggle with that. I wanted to make it a goal until it was just a default that happened without thought.

Thanks. I have been trying to build the quests so that I have similar goals but build on the previous one.

Like, for the last one, the goal was to sleep 8 hours per night. I'm not quite there, but went from about 5 1/2 to averaging close to 7. This time I decided to move the wake up time, while maintaining that average. The best habit I established last time was turning the TV off at 10. I will probably set the 8 hour per night goal again for the one after this.

I think I finally found a good pace for me to advance with the workout!

Tonight I did

Incline Pushup = 8

Box Squat = 5

One Arm Dumbbell Row = 5 (per side)

Assisted Split Squat = 5 (per side)

Knee Plank = 15 sec

I ate my salad, and will meditate soon then head off for bed.

I get to ease up a bit - tonight was my last coding class until September- and they think that I will be happiest building android apps, so even though I had signed up for php, they are switching me to the android track! (I am really excited about this!)

I didn't start today quite as well... I have to put the phone down at 10 too - and not write on the forum all night. :)

I was excited because it was the first day. I was excited about the class situation. And I was having trouble realizing that I won't have to bust ass all weekend finishing up my project (the person in charge declared it done. Maybe over done.)

I woke up around 4 with pretty bad pain in my left leg. Not a good time to prepare food with turmeric, so I took ibuprofen, & iced my knee and hip.

I think I will have to post my results in the morning from here on out, so I am not tempted to haunt the forums all night.

I was upset that I blew getting up by 15 minutes this morning, but I have two weekend days I had figured don't *count*. Maybe I could use them to make up anything I missed during the week - not on a regular basis, but if there are extenuating circumstances.

I had to leave work around 1:30 pm due to heat. I thought I left before it really affected me much, but sat in a cool bath, and still didn't feel great. I took it easy for a while and did my jump rope pretty late.

Jump Rope = 20 jumps

I counted every time I jumped, not every time I jumped OVER THE ROPE. <-- I apparently used to be a lot more coordinated.

Sleep Goal- woke at 6:54 :(

Nutrition goal: had salad at dinner, and zucchini noodles. I used the noodle maker to spiral cut a radish. It works, but there's a pretty big stub of radish that won't be cut. The spiral cutter is pretty easy to use. I like it.

Nice job with the jump rope.  The first time I did jumping jacks I could barely get 10, so 20 is pretty good :)  Heck, I'd probably trip and hang myself.

Thanks for the spirilizer update.  I'm seriously considering getting one, but not sure if it would be worth making the room in my cupboards.  

• Like 1

Thanks for the spirilizer update. I'm seriously considering getting one, but not sure if it would be worth making the room in my cupboards.

It's pretty small. I am going to do a few recipes and put it in one of the pictures in the galley.

I woke up nice and early - got out of bed by 6 :45.

I started getting ready for work, but my boyfriend texted that it was already 90 at work (at 7:30 am). I had to leave at 1 yesterday, and today was supposed to be worse. (I have had heat exaustion a few times and heat stroke at least once as an adult.)

It was really warm in my apartment, which is usually ice cold. I checked the air conditioning, and some cool air was coming out. I thought it must be extremely hot outside, and the air conditioning just couldn't keep up. So I called out of work.

But that's not what the problem was - I went downstairs to use the WiFi, and sometime around noon the management put up signs that say the air conditioning "is not functioning properly". (Later they told me that they have had contractors in since 7 am.)

I am not sure if I will be able to do my workout today due to this heat. I have had to sit downstairs in the office most of the day, and if they don't get it fixed soon, my cat and I will have to pack up and move in with my boyfriend until it's fixed.

I will try.

Edit : I am so mad I started crying. I cry when I am angry.

There's a bit of a rant below. I need to vent, but that doesn't mean anybody else needs to read it.

I try my best to figure out whether or not I can make it through a bloody blistering hot day at work. I try to make it through if I choose to go. I try to think about whether or not the amount I produce will be worth it. My production goes way down if it's hot.

I pay about half of my take home for this apartment. In the past month the blasted fire alarm has gone off several times. The elevators have been out of commission twice, individually and totally. And now on the hottest day so far the #%$&!!! air conditioning isn't working, when I stayed home to stay cool.

And the trash chute backs up past my floor nearly every weekend. And the contractors are sloppy. And noisy. You can't call out sick and rest around here, because they're jack hammering, sawing, sledge hammering and sanding concrete.

And it's not like I stayed home due to the miserablity factor! I stayed home because there was a health alert!! And I am part of the set of people the alert applies to! I stayed home due to my health - but evidently not my mental health!

And I got bloody NOTHING MUCH done! I can't move the stuff I was going to work on downstairs to where the lobby used to be. And there's no lobby really anymore. The only place there is air conditioning is now an empty room! Grrrr.

And I refuse to sit in the *Internet Cafe * because they never fumigated the chairs that are in there after I told them that there were BEDBUGS in them.

They're supposed to be fixing this building not breaking more.

And I am feeling pretty sorry for myself at the moment.

• Like 1

I think it's good to be kind to yourself. I almost made myself sick trying to work out in 90 degrees. Heat takes a lot of out a person :D

Apartment living can be VERY frustrating. I've lived in apartments for a really long time, and while it's nice to never mow the lawn, it's really frustrating when things go wrong and you have to rely on someone else..

I hope tomorrow is better for you!

• Like 1

I think it's good to be kind to yourself. I almost made myself sick trying to work out in 90 degrees. Heat takes a lot of out a person :D

Apartment living can be VERY frustrating. I've lived in apartments for a really long time, and while it's nice to never mow the lawn, it's really frustrating when things go wrong and you have to rely on someone else..

I hope tomorrow is better for you!

Thanks! I'm glad we're all here with supportive words.

I need a vacation. A real vacation where I don't do anything for a few weeks. Where I don't have to be in this building... I don't think I have any vacation time left. I have been taking the time out of work for heat issues without pay- but it's a few hours or a day here and there. Not a nice block of time.

I think I am having a zombie attack. :(

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/68651-Chaos-embraces-Eskcanta#entry1576247

A vacation, somewhere near a beach or at least with AC, sounds like a great idea.

I did read your rant, I hope there is something about those appts worthwhile.

A better tomorrow.

• Like 1

A vacation, somewhere near a beach or at least with AC, sounds like a great idea.

I did read your rant, I hope there is something about those appts worthwhile.

A better tomorrow.

The thing that makes the building at all worthwhile is the community. I haven't lived anywhere before where people from the building got together to socialize. More on that maybe later.

It is way past my beddie bye time but I want to report.

The zombies didn't get me after all.

I had my salad. (DreamDancer slices off a zombie head with a sword made of lettuce.)

I did my workout and logged 5 weapons PR. (Squashes a zombie flat with her butt doing box squats, shouting triumphantly "take that you fiend!"

I meditated. This week is about hearing sounds without judgment.

And most of that happened AFTER me and my cat (Alexander) packed up clothing, cat food, an air mattress, my veggies, and who knows what else and moved in with my boyfriend for the next few days.

The sign those cowardly management folks taped to the elevator door on their way out says it will be at least Friday before the air conditioning is fixed.

Woke up at 6:30. Didn't sleep well.

I meditated outside last night, which is cool because there were lots of sounds - frogs, crickets, planes, cars. But yesterday afternoon I found out that the meditation is actually helping.

The concept for this week is to notice sounds and then let them pass. So I tried it with the heat, instead of sound, and noticed stuff that I have attached to the situation.

I wasn't just experiencing the heat as brutal and dangerous - I was viewing it as a punishment. Like it served me right for calling out of work.

My anger broke up a bit after that. I was having trouble being angry at the managers - I was turning most of it back on myself. I was making the whole thing my fault.

The thing that makes the building at all worthwhile is the community. I haven't lived anywhere before where people from the building got together to socialize. More on that maybe later.

The people can make it all worthwhile.  A friend and I rented an apartment outside of Honolulu, fully furnished, for $150/mo.  No locks on the doors, no glass in the windows, and everyone told us we wouldn't make it there for a week.  Turned out to be the best place I've ever lived.  We had an expensive stereo and we might come home to an apartment full of people listening to music, but the fridge would be full of beer and there would be meat on the grill.  

I hope you were able to clear your anger at the heat and the poor management at the appts.  That stuff can eat at you.

• Like 1

I hope you were able to clear your anger at the heat and the poor management at the appts. That stuff can eat at you.

It isn't eating at me so much at the moment - but I may have to use it productively, and work up the nerve to contact the mayor's hot line... Or a friend who is the health reporter at the local NPR station. Or just walk out my boyfriend's backdoor and ask to talk to a reporter at one the most major TV stations in the area.

I am not afraid of reporters BTW - I was one. I just really don't like starting a hullabaloo.

We went back tonight and got another batch of my stuff... and the same signs saying that the air conditioning broke *today* (Wed) and the soonest it will be fixed is Friday are still up. But it's still not fixed.

I didn't jump rope Thursday, but I did wake up on time, ate my salad and meditated. My left knee hurt really bad, was quite swollen, and I forgot to bring my ice pack.

I woke up on time yesterday, made my PR with the BBWW last night, logged it in the weapons mini, ate my salad, and meditated.

My boyfriend's house has really steep stairs. I hadn't realized that I was climbing them in a way that really only used my right leg- like a little kid - putting my right foot on a stair, lifting my body with that leg, and then bringing my left foot on the same stair, repeat.

So now I have a side project to make sure that I am engaging my left leg- and last night I had difficulty making my left leg work AT ALL.

But on the bright side, I did have a major accomplishment : for the first time since the accident I was able to walk around the grocery store - up and down almost every aisle - without using a cart as a walker!

It's a smallish Kroger and I probably couldn't handle a super Walmart yet, but it's another one of those 'measure your progress through what you can do now that you couldn't before' kind of progress reports.

...But on the bright side, I did have a major accomplishment : for the first time since the accident I was able to walk around the grocery store - up and down almost every aisle - without using a cart as a walker!

It's a smallish Kroger and I probably couldn't handle a super Walmart yet, but it's another one of those 'measure your progress through what you can do now that you couldn't before' kind of progress reports.

That is pretty awesome.

Are the stairs the reason for the swollen knee? They sound like a pretty good rehab exercise.