• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

DreamDancer

DreamDancer jumps for joy

That is pretty awesome.

Are the stairs the reason for the swollen knee? They sound like a pretty good rehab exercise.

I am not sure what is going on with it. That knee (the whole leg - most of my left side) was impacted by the truck. (I am less than 5 feet tall, and the hood of a Silverado comes to like my shoulders.) Then when I landed on the pavement, that knee hit again. They x-rayed and I didn't have any broken bones.

I am pretty sure the leg has multiple sets of adhesions, and my current theory is that the exercises are breaking them up. I have been working on trigger points in the area and foam rolling it, but I think I might have to get a deep tissue massage from someone else.

If it continues to swell I will have to ask the doctor.

I also have major problems getting my left barefoot shoe on. I have been doing the stretches they gave me for PT, and it's getting a bit better. I can only lift that foot up just so far. The iliotibial band on that side is extremely tight. Quadratus Lumborum is also, and I can't reach it well myself. I work on that stuff with tennis balls, a foam roller and a theracane, but it's all very tight even after all this time.

I am finally back in my apartment. I woke up on time today, ate a salad, did my workout and will meditate soon.

Oh - and in just the past few days, using my boyfriend's stairs, I made a lot of progress. I managed to climb 2 on the left leg without using my arms for balance! I still had to do a few with my arms, but I think it's pretty good, because when I mentioned it, I could barely make (force) my left leg to lift my weight at all.

5PR

Incline Pushup = 10 +4 (was 11)

Box Squat = 10 (was 9)

One Arm Dumbbell Row = 10 + 2 (per side) (was 10)

Knee Plank = 35 sec (was 30)

Assisted Split Squat = 9(per side) (was 8)

A friend checked my Split Squat form the other day, and it helped, but I am still having a lot of trouble with it using my left leg. My son is visiting in about 2 weeks and will probably check my form on all of it.

I didn't jump rope yesterday. I had a problem with the heat at work, and had to go sit in the office with my ice packs on.

I have been eating my salads every night and even added an avocado to lunch most days. The avocado seems to help a lot with getting through work without having to eat again in the afternoon.

I have also been doing the meditation every night, even on the weekend. I don't have my classes at the moment, so I am re-reading Tim Ferris' 'Four Hour Work Week'.

• Like 1

Hey DD, just checking in.

I hope all is going well with you, this recent heatwave has been harsh.

Thanks for checking!

I have been sick. I either have super bad allergies (which I do) or a case of bronchitis (of some sort). Or both. My boyfriend had a bad cough some weeks ago and I am pretty sure I caught what he had.

I haven't done any workouts last week, because I read that if you are sick from the neck up - go ahead and workout. But if it's from the neck down, wait until you are feeling better. My current plan is to not count that week, as far as success of my challenge goes.

I did wake up on time, eat avocados and meditate though, so the only stuff I I messed up was the workouts. I also lost a little more weight. And I worked on the batcave again. I finally mastered the dishes part of my previous challenge too. Go figure.

My lungs seem to have cleared up quite a bit, so I will start the workout at one set and work up to 2 sets as I had planned. My son will be here Wednesday and said he will definitely work on form with me.

I am also putting in a lot of time on a life goal. The best thing for my health is to get a different job (or other source of income - I have owned a bunch of businesses in the past and done a lot of freelance art and writing.)

The pottery factory is in a building was built in the 1830s or so. There's no air conditioning in the summer and hardly any heating in the winter. There are spiders (and other bugs) all over the place. Sometimes birds, mice and squirrels get in the building, so there is rat poison in almost every corner. There's a big trap in the basement, just in case a raccoon gets in.

There's mold on a lot of the boxes we use to hold the greenware. There's mold in the basement. There's a thick layer of clay dust covering every surface. If they got rid of the cobwebs, mold and clay dust, the building would probably fall apart, because that might be what is holding it together.

There was a fire in the last year or so. Vines grow up one side of the building, all the way to the 3rd floor. Kudzu or some such thing. The vines got so heavy that they fell - right on top of the kiln flue as it reached its max temperature (about 2000 degrees F). Nobody can see that side of the building from where they sit... There are 4" diameter gas pipes running in to the kilns... We got lucky and got out OK and the building didn't explode... But the vines are about as high again as they were...

I usually wear a mask to keep the dust out of my lungs, but it has been too hot. I've also been told that there are varieties of mold in Kentucky not found in any other part of the country, and that a lot of what's happening with my upper respiratory system at this time of year has to do with that.

But I am using a neti pot, stinging nettle, zyrtec, nasacort and Tustin every day, and it's not helping much. This job's gotta go.

But I am using a neti pot, stinging nettle, zyrtec, nasacort and Tustin every day, and it's not helping much. This job's gotta go.

I agree.  The mold, dust and rat excrement are very bad for your lungs. I would have to wear an N95 (at a minimum) mask just to walk in the door.

I'm glad that you are feeling better, start back up with the workouts slowly and listen to your body.  It takes a lot of energy to heal up, so be sure to take care of yourself. 

• Like 1

I agree. The mold, dust and rat excrement are very bad for your lungs. I would have to wear an N95 (at a minimum) mask just to walk in the door.

I'm glad that you are feeling better, start back up with the workouts slowly and listen to your body. It takes a lot of energy to heal up, so be sure to take care of yourself.

I feel like I totally blew this challenge.

I got sick in the middle, and haven't been much better since - but today I finally went to the doctor's ( I scheduled the appointment a few months back).

I showed her some photos I took this week, featuring racoon prints in the clay dust, and some spiders by my window - - and she asked how quickly I can change jobs.

I said I was already working on it - but need to finish 3 months of Android development courses. Because I can't wear a filter mask until it's cooler, she ordered for me to stay out of work all next week. (it's also partially a test to see how much improvement there is just getting out of that environment.)

I also have to get lung x-rays. And she said that I ought to seriously consider quiting smoking. I am extremely embarrassed to say that I smoke because smoking is a really bad choice I made, and @jrosto didn't get a choice in the breathing matter - and values his lungs.

Actually - I was already being inspired to quit because of all of your successes with the challenges, @jrosto. Your example is the only thing that has ever motivated me to even contemplate quitting.

The doctor also took a LOT of blood. The tests are CBC, celiac comprehensive panel, comprehensive metabolic panel, TSH, and vitamin D. I don't know what some of that is, but she took my concerns about wheat and hypothyroid extremely seriously.

The appointment took a few hours She said she didn't want to just know what my body is doing - she wants to know who her patients ARE. I haven't had a doctor who went into this much depth before.

I think I finally got the right doctor.I go back next week.

She said we will work on the rest of the stuff, but I am kind of like a Fixer-upper house - there's a lot of work to be done, but we will make a plan to improve it.

I haven't been idle despite not doing my challenge and checking in - my classes started and I was working on them. So I sort of switched tracks midway through the challenge. I already knew that this job absolutely has to go. ( I also fell last week, trying to lift some boxes of pottery...)

As far as accomplishing my challenge goals :

I did get my form checked by my son, and I wasn't keeping my back straight.

I am eating vegetables at nearly every meal now.

I am getting up at 6:30 consistently.

I feel like I totally blew this challenge.

I got sick in the middle, and haven't been much better since - but today I finally went to the doctor's ( I scheduled the appointment a few months back).

No...  Please don't feel like you blew this challenge.  Life threw you a curve ball, you took a swing at it, and connected :)  We've yet to see if it's a base hit or a home run.  I'm betting at least a Double.

It sounds like you have found a very good doctor, and that is awesome.  The right doctor is so very important to both your health and general well being.

Are you considered full time?  In Texas, you can go on unemployment due to health concerns, and it sounds like that could be something to look into to continue with an income while looking for another job.  There is also the Temp Labor option.  I have used a temp agency while in between jobs in the past.  it is maybe not the best choice, but you do get work, and you get introduced to a variety of companies that may be hiring.

Quitting smoking...  you can do this.  Have you thought about which plan you are going to use to succeed at this very large quest?  You know you will get lots of support here whichever plan you decide upon.

The cooling temperatures should be making things a bit easier for you :)

You had plenty of success this past challenge, you should be proud of yourself.  

• Like 1

Quitting smoking... you can do this. Have you thought about which plan you are going to use to succeed at this very large quest? You know you will get lots of support here whichever plan you decide upon.

Thanks. I will probably reply to the rest of your post later - but I was thinking about this and I might have just got a serious ah-ha moment.

I have been stalking myself like a hawk about smoking since I got back from the doctor. By that I mean letting myself do it - but watching intensely. (and then make myself wait just a bit longer before I have another.)

I almost smacked myself in the head with this realization - I may have been considering the smoking all wrong - I am seriously OCD - the painful washing hands /counting /spelling type.

The smoking isn't 'just' a 'habit' for me - it's also a nasty ass compulsion.

I will have to think about it some more - but this realization may flip the way to go about quitting on its head. For me a compulsion is way different from a habit - it's not routinely doing something without thinking - it's more like a spell I am casting so bad sh*t doesn't happen.

Have you thought about which plan you are going to use to succeed at this very large quest?

I am working on a plan.

I ordered a book - the Slacker's Guide to quitting smoking or some such thing. I think it's a revision of the enlightened guide to quitting smoking. (I used to own that, but I lost it.)

My doctor advised me to investigate Bupropion (meds) because it's helpful for both smoking cessation and anxiety. If I want to use it, I let her know Wednesday.

But also - I can modify the batcave by making cigs less accessible:

put them on a high shelf?

Put the cigs one place, the lighter somewhere else and the ashtray in a 3rd location.

Smoke only outside - so I have to go down four floors or up to the roof. (and as a second part - have to walk the stairs instead of using the elevator.)

Also - instead of smoking - switch activities and do a breathing exercise instead. You know any good ones? :)

I like the smoke only outside idea.  Make it a hard and fast rule, no matter what the time or weather :)

I understand that taking Vit C and multiple showers helps.

Maybe you could switch to an electronic cig like V2 Cigs.  That might be a good sub for both the compulsion and the addiction as you will still be getting nicotine without many of the other toxins.  

Unleash that 20 pounds of crazy...  You can take over the world with enough crazy :)

• Like 1

I like the smoke only outside idea. Make it a hard and fast rule, no matter what the time or weather :)

I understand that taking Vit C and multiple showers helps.

Maybe you could switch to an electronic cig like V2 Cigs. That might be a good sub for both the compulsion and the addiction as you will still be getting nicotine without many of the other toxins.

Unleash that 20 pounds of crazy... You can take over the world with enough crazy :)

Thanks!

I haven't posted my next challenge yet. I think it will be quitting smoking, eating more veg, and sleeping. I will probably post it in adventurer, because I don't feel much like an assasin just now. :(

One thing will be to only smoke outside, but I also dug up the vapor esmoke thing I got last year, got it fixed - - - and even found the USB charger.

I got the x-rays taken this morning too.

• Like 1