• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Blonde-E

Adventures in yoga

Hi everyone! This will be a group of buddies who share similar flexibility goals and want some accountability, though we are open to anyone even if flexibility isn't part of your goals for this challenge. Please follow this thread and each others thread so we can share progress and help keep each other motivated.

We are nearing the start of this challenge! Here is everyone who has joined the Yoga buddies, please be sure to check out each other's challenges:

NotSoNerdyNerd, Miw-Sher, whitewineandcathair, Sterre, T2SC, Briniel, Scorpia, Scrawlcreatelive, Wolf, elem

• Like 4

Introductions! I almost forgot, we should probably introduce ourselves. Here I will start...

HI! I am NotSoNerdyNerd, I am currently hanging out with the adventures and am always up for a good adventure. I am focusing on yoga becuase I dont want to end up old and hunched over in pain becuase I am about as flexible as a stick.

For this challenge I will be following the doyogawithme beginner to intermediate program which has 40 videos. I am a big fan of yoga but fail to prioritize it in my life. So thats where I need your help, I am going to shoot to do yoga after work everyday so feel free to bug me around 7pm est to see if I did my yoga yet.

Looking forward to everyone else and your yoga goals!

• Like 1

I'm in! Though 7pm is roughly my bed time, I will do my best. (You may be more likely to get a huzzuh! at 3am sometimes.)

I'm not terribly flexible, and mainly started yoga because work made me stiff and sore. I feel a ton better, and I know I've gained a lot of flexibility, but I still feel woefully inflexible compared to a lot of yogis. I post the poses I'm working on in my Battle Log, rather than my challenge, so feel free to follow whichever you are more interested in.

• Like 2

I have yoga as a part of my challenge. I'm currently working my way through a 30 day beginner yoga challenge and plan on basically continuing and repeating the weeks as part of my six week challenge. Becoming more flexible is definitely something I hope for, but I'm also working on holding some poses for longer to build strength.

• Like 1

Right, I am Miw, I am currently hanging out with the adventurers but plan to move on to the Druids next challenge. :) I want to focus on yoga because I love the potential of it and I genuinely enjoy the practice.

I am not particularly stiff, except for one area – hamstrings. This is not even a joke, one of my old yoga teachers after 15 minutes of his class looked at me and told me: you are very flexible around the hip areas, but you really hate forward bends, am I right?

He was.

So that is what I am trying to even out. I am doing a specific flow that I have found works well in the past at least once a week, and otherwise daily morning yoga practice. :) (around 20-30 minutes, mostly)

I am T2SC for short. I had hip surgery when I was 13, was fine and even played high school and college sports. Just didn't realize later in life the arthritis would set in. Aches and pains. Have over compensated with working on my feet 12+ hours a day for 20 years and have sciatica issues on the other side. No hip flexibility at all. Need to lose weight ( 8 lbs last challenge) and that would help pain but need to exercise more ( causes pain) to lose weight. I have taken a yoga class and enjoined before a long time ago. Need the extra motivation from you guys to do it on my own. I am going to shoot for doing one of the above suggested programs or part of a DVD I got on clearance every morning M-F. I will post here after every workout.

Hello everyone, I'm Briniel, 28 from Germany. I started NF last challenge and moved on to the Adventurers for this one since I want to do running and strength training aaand - yoga! I have never done yoga before but it looks interesting and since I already started with stretching and flexibility training after my workout (with some improvement already!) I thought it might be a good idea to try. I'm not quite sure yet what program I'm going to follow, but the 30 days of yoga challenge looks good. Right now I'm leaning towards just pledging to complete those 30 days during the 6 week challenge period. Just for starters...
looking forward to this :)

Hi!

I'd like to join please!  I'm a 34 yr old woman and as flexible as an icicle.  I have weird painful hip things (poss sciatica, not been to the docs yet), terrible posture (the office worker slump and typical pelvic tilt) plus a bit more of me around the belly than I think is really necessary.  I'm hoping yoga will instantly transform me into one of those people you see on Instagram looking serene on a beach, smiling while pretending they have absolutely no skeletal system to impede their pretzeling.  If not, then it would be nice to be a bit more active, flexible and get some endorphins on the go. 

I'm signing up initially for a YogaToday free trial.  I'll click about the beginners stuff and see what seems fun and hopefully definitely do it at least twice a week if not more. 

I'm looking forward to checking out everyones challenges!

Scorpia 

• Like 2

Just a question, how do we best do this? Post a recap of every workout and what we struggled on? 

Flexibility is a bit of a tricky one to measure, so I am not really sure how to best make use of this. X)

For me it's just that I need someone to yell at me when I don't do the things I said I'd do in my challenge thread. And to ask what I'm up about when I don't post for a day or to. Just don't leave me a way to hide and think nobody's going to notice ;) I guess we all have our goals in our challenge threads with ways to measure them. We could also each post something that we'd like to be flexible enough to do - as a little extra challenge (and to have something to celebrate and cheer about later ;) ). I don't know, but I'm open for suggestions :)

• Like 1

Just a question, how do we best do this? Post a recap of every workout and what we struggled on?

Flexibility is a bit of a tricky one to measure, so I am not really sure how to best make use of this. X)

Good question. I think you should only have to post on your challenge thread, and we will follow along there. If you stop posting or start ignoring your yoga we will be there to encourage you out of hiding. If you want to tell this group something else, then feel free to post in here.

I do like the idea of sharing a specific flexibility milestone you are working towards.

Me, I would like to get closer to my toes. I just measured my forward fold, with rounded back and form that would send any trained yogi/pt running, I can get within 9" of my toes, with proper straight spine/ hinge from the hip form im at about 2 o'clock. Anyone want to try to top that? My body can be so fickle about how it will respond to streatching, I dont know if touching my toess in 6 weeks is reasonable or not. So ultimate goal, touch toes in forward bend, goal for challenge get a lot closer than what I just measured.

I've recently touched my toes for the first time in ages but I've had a hard time reproducing this. So to be able to do this consistently is definitely a goal for this challenge. I also want to be able to touch my hands behind my back which works fine when the right arm is over my head but is incredibly difficult with my left arm over my head. No idea why, but I'm slowly working to get there.

• Like 1

For the toe-touchers... I have to work into it every day. I learned a flow in class once that I use all the time.

Mountain Pose: Inhale, bringing your arms above you head. Exhale, lowering your arms to prayer position. (You can skip the prayer position and go straight for the floor, if you prefer. You can also add exhale side-stretches while your arms are above your head.)

Forward-Bend: Inhale, then on the exhale, bend at the hips and release your hands towards the floor. Inhale, come up into Half-Forward-Bend. Exhale, release back down to the floor. Inhale back to Mountain pose.

I find doing a series of these, sometimes just going from half-bend to full a few times before coming back up, helps me creep a little lower each time, rather than just reaching for the floor. Plus I find it to be a nice, centering warm-up for the rest of my practice. I usually add tree pose, starting with my hands in prayer position, then lifting them above my head. Balance is another one of my weak points.

Hi everyone! This will be a group of buddies who share similar flexibility goals and want some accountability, though we are open anyone even if flexibility isnt part of your goals for this challenge. Please follow this thread and eachothers thread so we can share progress and help keep eachother motivated.

Hello I am an Assassin yogi who is doing a Yoga challenge. I plan to do a routine that benefits men. However, it doesn't have any warm up or Cool down poses. Any ideas?

Hello I am an Assassin yogi who is doing a Yoga challenge. I plan to do a routine that benefits men. However, it doesn't have any warm up or Cool down poses. Any ideas?

Depends on the routine, could you describe it in more detail?

For warm-up, the classic is doing sun salutations 5-10 times each side, but if you are not too comfortable with it, it might not be your best option. In doubt, I tend to either do jumping jacks or burpees to get my limbs warm and heart rate up.

As for cool down, twists and seated stretches tend to work really well, otherwise, most routines incorporate a cold down and relaxation practice in them.

Touching my toes isn't a huge problem for me... doing so without bending my knees, however, is something that I cannot really do. I can basically not touch my head to my knees either or straighten my legs during a straight leg lunge.

I also have some issues with shoulder flexibility when I do cow face pose. I can do it with my right elbow up and my left elbow down easily, but not the other way, my right shoulder just really doesn't like going that direction. :/

Oh, and if we're going to follow along with each other's challenge threads it helps if they're all linked in this thread. Mine is in my sig, but also here.

Depends on the routine, could you describe it in more detail?

For warm-up, the classic is doing sun salutations 5-10 times each side, but if you are not too comfortable with it, it might not be your best option. In doubt, I tend to either do jumping jacks or burpees to get my limbs warm and heart rate up.

As for cool down, twists and seated stretches tend to work really well, otherwise, most routines incorporate a cold down and relaxation practice in them.

I'm out of yoga practice so to get into the habit I thought maybe 3 rounds of http://www.mensfitness.com/training/endurance/top-10-yoga-poses-for-men also my thread is http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/68519-Scrawlcreatelive-Mastering-The-Avatar-state#entry1563013

Hmm, alright. I'd say doing some light cardio of your preference should do the trick. One of my yoga teachers made us do rotate our arms in opposite direction and then do 20 high knees and 20 jumping jacks. Then 10 sun salutations. He was a bit obsessed with warm-up.

What you can also do is do a warmup round of your routine, where you do a "lighter" version of the poses – for instance you can do a forward fold with bent knees and rock your arms a bit at the bottom, or pedal your legs while in downward-facing dog. 

I am in!

Hi everyone!

I am a (for now) druid who is going to focus on doing yoga every day as a part of my challenge. And I need to actively do something about my shoulder and hamstring (in)flexibility. Even though I've been practicing yoga for a while, those places in my body are still really tight (probably because a lot of my practice have for a long time focused on my other/previous weaknesses; strenght and balance).

For now I plan to do the Ekhart "yoga for opening the shoulders" sequence at least three times a week https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppToA1N0CgE as well as to practice 1 hour yin yoga at least once a week in addition to my normal practice.

Which is why I need you guys.

For me, doing yoga every day is right now the easiest thing in the world (made it a permanent habit over the last two challenges), but having some structure to what I am doing is really difficult. - and I am horrible at writing progress reports as well...

... So, see you around! :)

• Like 1

This is my second challenge and increased flexibility is a big part of this one, just like it was in the first.

I want to work on all around flexibility, but have a special interest on my hamstrings and hips.

Daily stretching and/or yoga is part of my challenge. I will be doing gravity yoga which claims to be able to double your flexibility in 4 weeks if your follow the 5 day a week program.

Touching my toes isn't a huge problem for me... doing so without bending my knees, however, is something that I cannot really do. I can basically not touch my head to my knees either or straighten my legs during a straight leg lunge.

I also have some issues with shoulder flexibility when I do cow face pose. I can do it with my right elbow up and my left elbow down easily, but not the other way, my right shoulder just really doesn't like going that direction. :/

Oh, and if we're going to follow along with each other's challenge threads it helps if they're all linked in this thread. Mine is in my sig, but also here.

I have added links to everyone's threads in the top post. Thanks for asking for that, I am usually on my phone so its difficult to do anything fancy.

• Like 2

Hey all! 

I am wishing you all good luck on your challenges now in case I don't manage to pop in tomorrow. 

I will be gone for the first two week for the challenge at least (that sailing trip described in my challenge thread), so don't think I'm ignoring you or anything. I am just not going to have access to a laptop or the internet for a while. :)

At any rate, I hope you all have a fruitful start, and see you again in a couple week!

• Like 2

Hey all! 

I am wishing you all good luck on your challenges now in case I don't manage to pop in tomorrow. 

I will be gone for the first two week for the challenge at least (that sailing trip described in my challenge thread), so don't think I'm ignoring you or anything. I am just not going to have access to a laptop or the internet for a while. :)

At any rate, I hope you all have a fruitful start, and see you again in a couple week!

Have a fun trip!