KB Girl has an affair with barbells

KB Girl

Noooo, the whole point of eating cookies is not putting in any effort at all and that includes special orderin :tongue:

I bought the pizza frozen, it's one of the regular ones over here. Ppl get either simple cheesy, salami, bbq chicken, mushrooms or tuna. 

That just sounds like a good argument to eat ice cream or cheesecake instead of cookies.  Mmmm..  Protein...

• Like 1

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

(barbell) Snatch balance (if i'm doing it right)

Just practicing from behind the neck with an empty bar. It was really awkward; 

My biggest issue is that I can't figure out the shoulders. When holding a kettlebell overhead you just set them and relax them as much as possible, but i've been told that with a barbell overhead I should be sort of pushing on them. My brain doesnt quite get this and i'm unsure if I got it right at all on any of these.

You still want to "stack the bones" with the barbell so it should be pretty similar to packing/setting the shoulders. We like to think about squeezing the bar behind the ears by actively retracting the scaps but don't worry about adding any sort of upward shrug to it. The later is commonly taught in CF circles and doesn't make a ton of sense considering the goal is to lift weights overhead we couldn't possibly keep shrugged..

Other than that I'd work on your wrist position. The bar is pretty high in your hand and isn't stacked over the wrist, creating a moment there. You want to try to support that bar lower on the palm to get it more over the wrist to reduce that moment which will help stabilize the lift overall and save your wrists some pain.

5327d6_6a7be85d1c9e4daf990b77c0d7d5f571.

• Like 1

Eat. Sleep. High bar squat. | Strength is a skill, refine it.
Follow my Weightlifting team's antics: Instagram | Facebook | Youtube
Looking for a strength program? Check out The Danger Method and remember to do your damn abs

Yeeeees, come over to the dark barbell side. We have protein brownies.

Nothing constructive to say, except that your affair interests me. Subbed. *brings out the popcorn*

• Like 1

POLARIS - LEVEL 4 AVATAR WARRIOR/MONK

(currently visiting assassins) | Challenge Thread

"We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us."

Nice days. I keep wanting to learn oly lifting type things but never make the time for it and the class at the local awesome gym is on Thursdays (which is a gymnastics day), so I am living vicariously through you. :3

Front squats will come back!

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Today was really blah, all my plans got messed up by emergencies. Normally I might be able to run with it but hormones made everything seem like the end of the world. I tried to live on cookies and coffee, which wasn't a terribly great idea either.

Moving on to tomorrow. 

This has summed up my life lately. These days happen, and you have an awesome attitude to just leave it behind you. I applaud you.

Also, all the barbell work and feedback seriously makes me want to go back to weightlifting. Maybe one day.

Lvl. 2 Ranger Assassin Shapeshifter

STR - 3 | DEX - 3 | STA - 7 | CON - 4 | WIS - 4 | CHA - 4

Current Challenge: Breaking Chains

(Really) Old Challenges 1 | 2 | 3

You still want to "stack the bones" with the barbell so it should be pretty similar to packing/setting the shoulders. We like to think about squeezing the bar behind the ears by actively retracting the scaps but don't worry about adding any sort of upward shrug to it. The later is commonly taught in CF circles and doesn't make a ton of sense considering the goal is to lift weights overhead we couldn't possibly keep shrugged..

Other than that I'd work on your wrist position. The bar is pretty high in your hand and isn't stacked over the wrist, creating a moment there. You want to try to support that bar lower on the palm to get it more over the wrist to reduce that moment which will help stabilize the lift overall and save your wrists some pain.

I was trying to figure out what was going on with her grip. Could it also be that her hands are too narrow on the bar? I just can't seem to figure it out from the side angle. You are WAY more qualified than I am to give advice...

90+ Masters Weightlifter

Current Lift PRs
Snatch: 93kg/205lb // Clean and Jerk: 113kg/248lb // Back Squat: 170kg/375lb

Spoiler

2016 USAW Senior Nationals - 6th place

2015 USAW American Open - 8th place
2015 USAW Senior Nationals - 9th place
2014 USAW Senior Nationals - 9th place

2013 USAW Senior Nationals - 9th place

Instagram - MyFitnessPal

20-second freestanding handstand?! I'm jealous, well done! :)

The snatch is so awkward - I really had to fix my shoulder mobility to get anywhere near a barbell Olympic snatch... It doesn't make much difference now, but the jump before the dip seemed more of a token gesture than anything helpful. I found it useful to pick a weight that I couldn't overhead press so that I really had to take the leg push seriously. [Or could just be you making it look easier than it is haha]

Also I can't see what hand width you're using, but I recommend trying out some narrower and wider hand widths to find what suits you best. Wide makes it easier for shoulder mobility and for leg strength. Narrower makes it easier for shoulder strength.

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

[ STR 36.75 | DEX 26.00 | STA 28.00 | CON 31.25 | WIS 29.25 | CHA 24.50 ]

current 5-week challenge: March 2020

external websites with my resources for...

fitness & breathwork | mental math & mind sports | motivation & productivity

Thursday I had a rematch with the squats;  

Front squat 45kg x 5 x 5

It was actually really do-able, (though i'm not sure I like my form now that I can see it) so I think on tuesday I was probably tired/unfocused/distracted.. whatever. 

Also did the unbreakable flows from GMB  :)

Afterwards I did some kb swings and tried doing turkish getups. I am not a natural at tgu's.

• Like 1

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: It's all future KB Girl's problem

my instagram - my gym's instagram

That is such a relief to hear, you have no idea. I'll forget about the upwards shrug :) I will mostly proceed as I normally do with kb's then, but also try the active retracting of the scaps. 

I was trying to figure out what was going on with her grip. Could it also be that her hands are too narrow on the bar? I just can't seem to figure it out from the side angle. You are WAY more qualified than I am to give advice...

Actually it's probably that I don't have enough mobility to get my wrists in the right position while having the bar on my back. I couldn't do a low bar backsquat to save my life. It's impossible for me to get my hands behind my shoulders.

I'm pretty sure that I normally have a good wrist position.

And yes you're allowed to rant about anything you want including not fitting and front squats. But it will all get better soon, just a temporary glitch. :)

It's a bit of a shoulda woulda coulda that we avoided last challenge ;) but yea, at least i'm doing something about the squats. Haven't done anything about the weight yet... and I say yet because I'm miles above my competition weight so it'll have to happen soonish. Kill me now?

That just sounds like a good argument to eat ice cream or cheesecake instead of cookies.  Mmmm..  Protein...

MMmmmmmm ^^ If only.

I have to say that even though I'm not a weightlifter it's still really interesting to read all the feedback. :)

If you love movement, any complex movement can be really interesting :)

Yeeeees, come over to the dark barbell side. We have protein brownies.

Nothing constructive to say, except that your affair interests me. Subbed. *brings out the popcorn*

Hii! Thanks!

Nice days. I keep wanting to learn oly lifting type things but never make the time for it and the class at the local awesome gym is on Thursdays (which is a gymnastics day), so I am living vicariously through you. :3

You're more than welcome to do that, I do the same with you :D Gymnastics just doesn't fit around my kb goals, but when I stop competing... heck yes.

This has summed up my life lately. These days happen, and you have an awesome attitude to just leave it behind you. I applaud you.

Also, all the barbell work and feedback seriously makes me want to go back to weightlifting. Maybe one day.

I put on a slightly prettier face for NF to be honest, I don't tell about the time spend hiding under my bed ;) But thank you, I do try. You can do it too!

And YES come back to it!

20-second freestanding handstand?! I'm jealous, well done! :)

The snatch is so awkward - I really had to fix my shoulder mobility to get anywhere near a barbell Olympic snatch... It doesn't make much difference now, but the jump before the dip seemed more of a token gesture than anything helpful. I found it useful to pick a weight that I couldn't overhead press so that I really had to take the leg push seriously. [Or could just be you making it look easier than it is haha]

Thanks! Only because I got steadied in place at first though.

The 'jump' was actually intended as a token gesture, otherwise I'd put that weight through the roof :D The idea behind doing these snatch balances or drop snatches is to practice getting under the weight.

I was trying to figure out what was going on with her grip. Could it also be that her hands are too narrow on the bar?

Could be but it looks like she's semi close to the collars so she's probably in the right neighborhood unless she's taller than she looks. Regardless the wrist position should be similar (stacked) no matter where the hands are.

That is such a relief to hear, you have no idea. I'll forget about the upwards shrug :) I will mostly proceed as I normally do with kb's then, but also try the active retracting of the scaps. 

Actually it's probably that I don't have enough mobility to get my wrists in the right position while having the bar on my back. I couldn't do a low bar backsquat to save my life. It's impossible for me to get my hands behind my shoulders.

I'm pretty sure that I normally have a good wrist position.

Try to maintain a full, solid grip on the bar and drive your elbows down. See what that does.

Eat. Sleep. High bar squat. | Strength is a skill, refine it.
Follow my Weightlifting team's antics: Instagram | Facebook | Youtube
Looking for a strength program? Check out The Danger Method and remember to do your damn abs

Oh hi Red! Didnt see you last challenge!

Yeah, I had poor time management skills, but I've fixed that now.

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

I can't offer any advice on grip or wrist mobility since I've never had to think about it (and now I realized I have no idea what I'm doing with my hands during back squats o_O), but I'm digging your depth in that front squat.

Do you get any negative side effects from sleeping for 11 hours, or do you feel just fine afterwards? Because as much as I love sleeping, if I sleep too long, I get a headache and I'll be tired for the rest of the day.

POLARIS - LEVEL 4 AVATAR WARRIOR/MONK

(currently visiting assassins) | Challenge Thread

"We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us."

Oh man, I want that.

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

I have no help I can offer you, but I wanted to say Hi and let you know I've been reading your stuff.  You're awesome, as always.

Hi! I bought a pair of biking shorts yesterday. The padding inside is pink, how awesome is that?

I can't offer any advice on grip or wrist mobility since I've never had to think about it (and now I realized I have no idea what I'm doing with my hands during back squats o_O), but I'm digging your depth in that front squat.

Do you get any negative side effects from sleeping for 11 hours, or do you feel just fine afterwards? Because as much as I love sleeping, if I sleep too long, I get a headache and I'll be tired for the rest of the day.

Nope I really don't... the negative effects are only when I go to bed really late and then sleep that long. But if I go to bed at a normal hour then it's all fine and sunshine and awesomeness.

Squat depth took me a lot of work, so i'm rather happy with it too :) The grip problem is not wrist mobility, but scapular probably. I think. Who knows?

Hi! Sorry it took me forever to stop by. <3 I'm happy to see your barbell affair!

Np! I'm happy just stalking ;) But hi! Barbells are pretty great, I'd almost forgotten how fun it can be to just lift as heavy as possible.

• Like 1

Missed a couple of days, oops. It's only two weeks left before school re-opens and i'm handing in the last of my work before hopefully never ever returning again. I'm in a near constant state of panic, except for when i'm at the gym. It's the best place in the world sometimes! 

So let's see... not a full workout log but some notes and since i've been taping everything anyway some video behind the tags.

Friday was dedicated to the barbell clean & jerk. I did a lot of clean pulls, power cleans and power jerks. I think i'm getting better at getting my knees out of the way; 

Sunday was kettlebells and squats, managed a 3x3 front squat with 55kg and practiced handswitches with 20kg. Right arm went fine, left was frustration galore.

Monday was a rest day. Tuesday was more kettlebells and handstand practice, without a spotter this time. My best attempt; 

My recovery from training actually seems to be ok, despite the stress. Or maybe i'm just better at ignoring not being at 100% and training anyway, I don't know. But i've been getting enough protein and enough sleep. I'm scheduling a massage as we speak. I should probably stop reading on my phone because my grip muscles don't like it. More notes later, probably.

• Like 2

Seriously great progress on your handstands! You are actually holding your shoulders at a great angle and stacking the rest of your body over them. I can't see your hands/feet, but your hips/core look excellent. :D

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin