KB Girl has an affair with barbells

KB Girl

That KB work was just plain awesome!  Thanks for posting the vid, I have something to shoot for :)

• Like 1

Barbarian Assassin / Level 5

STR: 16.5 | DEX: 4.8 | STA: 8.9 | CON: 8.7 | WIS: 6.6 | CHA: 6.8

My Current Six Week Challenge - Jrosto - A Barbarian Cleans Up His Act

Previous Challenges - #1, #2, #3, #4

My NF Introduction Post : My MDA Journal : My MDA Phase 1 Success Story

Simple & Sinister Workout Log

Keep Calm and Send in the Penguins!

Seriously great progress on your handstands! You are actually holding your shoulders at a great angle and stacking the rest of your body over them. I can't see your hands/feet, but your hips/core look excellent. :D

Thanks! Good to hear :) The stacking is so much easier when someone is spotting you, so it was a good feeling to get a couple good ones after a kick up. 

That KB work was just plain awesome!  Thanks for posting the vid, I have something to shoot for :)

My pleasure! :) That's really what I love most about KB's, constantly something to shoot for. If I can help with anything, do let me know!

Very nice handstand indeed! You're really progressing quickly right now!

Thanks! From where i'm standing it doesn't feel that quick, haha, but maybe yea! It's definitely better now that i'm not terrified to death of kicking up without a spotter.

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current hiding out in a battle log: KB Girl's journal

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Wednesday was a planned rest day.

Today (thursday) I was supposed to do kettlebell sets for conditioning.... but I couldn't make myself do it. It's stupidly hot over here and unfortunately our gym does not have airconditioning. I swear it was boiling inside! Or pretty close anyway. 

Instead I did a bit of semi-heavy lifting, nothing serious. Hopefully i'll make up the kb work tomorrow... I already cringe at the thought, it's still gonna be hot :(

Deadlifts (kg)

50 x 3

60 x 3

70 x 5 x 3

80 x 1 x 3

Hadn't done any deadlifts in quite a while, I don't really need to work on them at all since the kb lifting keeps it up. This was actually very light, but I didn't want to stress my CNS at all.

Pullups (rings)

1 x 5

negative x 5

That 3 is a PR :) Credit goes to the last assassin mini-challenge, i've been doing a pull-up every single day I'm at the gym (which is almost every day) since the last challenge started.

• Like 3

Great job on your new pull up PR.  ^5

Wednesday was a planned rest day.

Today (thursday) I was supposed to do kettlebell sets for conditioning.... but I couldn't make myself do it. It's stupidly hot over here and unfortunately our gym does not have airconditioning. I swear it was boiling inside! Or pretty close anyway. 

Instead I did a bit of semi-heavy lifting, nothing serious. Hopefully i'll make up the kb work tomorrow... I already cringe at the thought, it's still gonna be hot :(

Deadlifts (kg)

50 x 3

60 x 3

70 x 5 x 3

80 x 1 x 3

Hadn't done any deadlifts in quite a while, I don't really need to work on them at all since the kb lifting keeps it up. This was actually very light, but I didn't want to stress my CNS at all.

Pullups (rings)

1 x 5

negative x 5

That 3 is a PR :) Credit goes to the last assassin mini-challenge, i've been doing a pull-up every single day I'm at the gym (which is almost every day) since the last challenge started.

Congrats on the pullup PR.  I'm with you, so hard to do much work when it is hot.

• Like 2

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

I am in awe of your handstand and pull-up prowess. I can't do either yet, though I'm aiming to do a single pull-up before this year ends.

Btw, do you find front squats very different/harder than back squats? I'm thinking of adding front squats to my routine, but the bar position scares me.

POLARIS - LEVEL 4 AVATAR WARRIOR/MONK

(currently visiting assassins) | Challenge Thread

"We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us."

Sweeeet pull-ups! On rings too!! That's awesome. 

And man, I feel you on the no air conditioning. My gymnastics gym (and my new gym for lifting) doesn't have A/C and it's just so hard to make yourself do what would be your usual amount of work when you are just sweating your ass off. It's been 32-33 C for the past few weeks and completely brutal in there.

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Lol, everyone has already said it, but good job with the pull-ups indeed :) Pull-ups on rings are actually easier than on a bar (you'll naturally use a more neutral grip (in between pull-up and chin-up grips) and rotate it throughout the movement (nearly pull-up grip, rotating to nearly chin-up grip) to the most efficient possible lift) although I don't think the difference is that big - not compared to how ring dips are harder than bar dips, for example :o

Although, if you force yourself to keep pull-up grip the whole time then that's probably harder than on a bar, because you have extra work to do to stop the rings from rotating - I think I tried this but can't remember when.

Also, you consider 80kg light on the deadlifts? That's some pretty impressive strength!

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

[ STR 36.75 | DEX 26.00 | STA 28.00 | CON 31.25 | WIS 29.25 | CHA 24.50 ]

current 5-week challenge: March 2020

external websites with my resources for...

fitness & breathwork | mental math & mind sports | motivation & productivity

Woot woot you're my hero that you can do pullups!! How did you get started? Do tell! :)

There are a lot of girls with the assassins that can do them actually! I started with doing ring rows and negatives, do you know those exercises? Otherwise I can find a good tutorial for you. 

Now I know why I couldn't find your thread, even though I looked REALLY hard, 3 times...

I'm actually quite interested to follow along with your journey to the barbell side. It's something I'd really like to try, but don't have the resources, unfortunately.... Can't wait to see how it all goes!

Hehe yea I always follow threads and then keep the old ones to click on everyone's names to find the new ones x) Gotta have some method to this madness that is NF!

Great job on your new pull up PR.  ^5

Congrats on the pullup PR.  I'm with you, so hard to do much work when it is hot.

Conditioning and heat aren't a great combination. Nice job with the pull ups.

Thanks guys!

I am in awe of your handstand and pull-up prowess. I can't do either yet, though I'm aiming to do a single pull-up before this year ends.

Btw, do you find front squats very different/harder than back squats? I'm thinking of adding front squats to my routine, but the bar position scares me.

Great goal! What are you doing for the pull-ups?

And no... I don't find them very different.. they used to be a lot harder when my squat wasn't quite as good (read; upright), but now there is not much difference between the two. The bar position is actually less scary, you can easily drop it out in front of you when you can't get up. It's a bit uncomfortable at first, especially if you do it right and keep it against your throat. But you get used to that quickly. Don't actually hold it fully, just rest it on two fingers or so.

Sweeeet pull-ups! On rings too!! That's awesome. 

And man, I feel you on the no air conditioning. My gymnastics gym (and my new gym for lifting) doesn't have A/C and it's just so hard to make yourself do what would be your usual amount of work when you are just sweating your ass off. It's been 32-33 C for the past few weeks and completely brutal in there.

Dan is right, rings are actually much easier for me than the bar :) I still can't even consistently do 1 bar pull-up. 

Glad i'm not the only one suffering! And honestly I don't think we've even reacher 32-33 yet... it's just so humid! But i'll think of you next time I want to whine about it :D

Congrats on the pull-up PR! On rings too!

Thanks! Though like Dan said, rings are easier!

Woohooo, nice pull-up PR! :D :D

Thank you! :D You and me are really comparable in body type and pull-up prowess :)

Lol, everyone has already said it, but good job with the pull-ups indeed :) Pull-ups on rings are actually easier than on a bar (you'll naturally use a more neutral grip (in between pull-up and chin-up grips) and rotate it throughout the movement (nearly pull-up grip, rotating to nearly chin-up grip) to the most efficient possible lift) although I don't think the difference is that big - not compared to how ring dips are harder than bar dips, for example :o

Although, if you force yourself to keep pull-up grip the whole time then that's probably harder than on a bar, because you have extra work to do to stop the rings from rotating - I think I tried this but can't remember when.

Also, you consider 80kg light on the deadlifts? That's some pretty impressive strength!

You're 100% right! For me rings or two of those neutral grip bars would be quite comparable, but we don't actually have those type of pull-up bars, why would we right?

Light for just a rep or two though! Actually being amongst the warriors and reading about some of their lifts put mine nicely into perspective :D

• Like 1

I'm a little bit late to the party but...

Great handstand video - you have made amazing progress! I still remember your videos where you were simply too scared to try a freestanding handstand... and now you are rocking it :)

Of course grats on the pull up PR. Unlike Dan and Raptron, I find ring pull ups harder than bar pull ups because I practise on bars much more frequently. So I give your PR a double thumbs up :P . Also I know how strict you (and bf) are with your pull up form - so im guessing those were some picture perfect reps :)

It's already the last day of week 2. This challenge has been going quite well, mostly because it's very physically focused. I think it was exactly what I needed, a little break from trying to be a better person in other areas of my life x) Case in point, the adulting PVP isn't going that well... Nymeria is kicking my butt.

Recovery from training is going well, i'm surprised at how much volume I can handle now that it's split up over a couple areas of interest.. I can train pretty much 6 days / 12 hours a week, which is very nice. Makes me hopeful.

Training log friday week 2

Cardio (aka cycling)

Longest I've ever sat on a bike (90 minutes), 45 kilometers, involving some hills. We rode in a group of 5, which was nice, fun and challenging. 

Kettlebell snatch (14kg)

6 minutes, single switch, 12rpm

(2min break)

4 minutes, single switch, 12rpm

(2min break)

2 minutes, single switch, 12rpm

It was interesting to do snatches while my legs were feeling like lead. But actually very doable. The sets were mostly hard on grip, 2 mins is a small break.

Training log Sunday week 2

(saturday is as usual a rest day, just 30min bike ride to work)

Kettlebell snatches (for reps, right/left arm)

16kg 30/30

20kg 5/5 x 3

22kg, 5/5 x2

24kg, 15/15 

Not sure if I should be optimistic 'cause the handswitches are going better, or if I should lose all hope because just 30 reps with 24kg shot my heart rate through the roof... 7 weeks 'till last qualifiers. /panic

Barbell hang power snatches

Honestly didn't count. 

Empty bar x a lot

25kg x a lot

Just drilling things again, watched my shoulders and wrists in overhead position. 

TLDR; just me blabbing about coaching, feel free to skip. 

Putting it behind spoiler tags too, because I rambled on.

Oh, almost forgot... I have been working on my coaching things, but haven't really found anything to share. I've been working on a way to keep easier track of everyone's training and test results, i've got it figured out for my online clients (using google docs-excel now, so they can fill in rpe/rpt/hr etc) but haven't found an optimal solution for my home-team yet. Atm still using pictures I take of the whiteboard.

Random coaching thought of the day; 

I've found that I need to strike a perfect balance in my programming for the home-team between several things. One is between ideal competition training and the fun-aspect. Ideal competition training often involved boring long sets, that mostly tire out the grip and don't leave you sweating on the ground. (Most are strong and fit enough for their competition goals, but don't have enough grip endurance.) If I want to do something very fun then I pick ladders, people really like lifting the heavy bells for short amounts of time. Or short sets at a breakneck speed. People are silly. But it is important to keep them from burning out. 

The other balance is between setting them up for success, pushing their boundaries and setting them up for failure. Sometimes I need to make them fail to know where they are at. I had one girl who just kept rising up to the challenge while I was actively trying to make her fail :) But it's not good to constantly find that edge, because of two reasons. 1- it can be really frustrating for the athletes thus damaging their motivation. 2- it gets in their heads and then they start wondering if they can make sets, instead of trusting me that they can. Mostly I like them having blind faith that when I say they can do it that they can. That helps in competition when I tell them they can make a certain number.

Which leads me into the other coaching thought of the day; 

People behave so weird when they've got a 'heavy' weight. You see this a lot in weightlifting, they think it's heavy so instead of lifting it like they normally would they start acting like complete f*king morons who don't know how to move or get under a bar. And you see the same in kettlebellsport... instead of making nice long swings, taking it easy, letting gravity do the work for them... they suddenly start pulling like crazy people on the kb and using their arm muscles as if that will somehow get a better results than simply using their legs.. but they somehow got it into their heads that it's 'heavy' and therefore they should be 'doing more'. 

It's easier with kettlebells because I can just make sure they lift heavier than competition weight regularly.. but what's harder to train them for is keeping the movement long and smooth when their grip starts failing or it starts feeling heavy. The mental game in kbsport is very much keeping it cool for those 10 minutes. 

My best solution so far is simply making sure they are so much above their comp weight in ability that they don't have to deal with these things quite as much... but eventually for the top athletes this just stops working. And the approach needs to be different for everyone... but I do think the trust thing is really important. They have to believe they can do it. And that's why I actively try to make them blindly believe in my judgement of wether they can do something or not.

• Like 3

I'm a little bit late to the party but...

Great handstand video - you have made amazing progress! I still remember your videos where you were simply too scared to try a freestanding handstand... and now you are rocking it :)

Of course grats on the pull up PR. Unlike Dan and Raptron, I find ring pull ups harder than bar pull ups because I practise on bars much more frequently. So I give your PR a double thumbs up :tongue: . Also I know how strict you (and bf) are with your pull up form - so im guessing those were some picture perfect reps :)

Thanks for reminding me of that :) i'm glad that i don't have to deal with most of the frustration that comes from handstand training simply because it's just a side-thing.. that makes it easier I think.

And haha, yes we are. And yes i'm pretty sure they were x)

It's already the last day of week 2. This challenge has been going quite well, mostly because it's very physically focused. I think it was exactly what I needed, a little break from trying to be a better person in other areas of my life x) Case in point, the adulting PVP isn't going that well... Nymeria is kicking my butt.

It's kind of interesting how that works, though.  I've been desperately in need of some focus and discipline on the adulting side of my life, so the PVP is really helping me.  I'm really glad I don't have any food goals, since my focus and habits there are pretty miserable right now.  There's really a limit on how many things we can focus on and prioritize at a time.  Since your competition is getting closer, it really is great that you're really on point with the physical stuff, even if some of the adulting stuff is getting less attention.  

The other balance is between setting them up for success, pushing their boundaries and setting them up for failure. Sometimes I need to make them fail to know where they are at. I had one girl who just kept rising up to the challenge while I was actively trying to make her fail :) But it's not good to constantly find that edge, because of two reasons. 1- it can be really frustrating for the athletes thus damaging their motivation. 2- it gets in their heads and then they start wondering if they can make sets, instead of trusting me that they can. Mostly I like them having blind faith that when I say they can do it that they can. That helps in competition when I tell them they can make a certain number.

It seems like finding that balance is especially tricky in that people in the same class probably need different approaches.  Some people need a lot of coddling and encouragement.  Other people need a lot of harshness and constructive criticism.  I think it's great that you spend so much time thinking about your approaches to coaching and modifying the way you go about things to bring out the best in your students.  You sound like a really awesome coach!

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

Thank you! :D You and me are really comparable in body type and pull-up prowess :)

That's another reason why your progress is extra inspiring!

Not sure if I should be optimistic 'cause the handswitches are going better, or if I should lose all hope because just 30 reps with 24kg shot my heart rate through the roof... 7 weeks 'till last qualifiers. /panic

Optimistic of course! :D Panic won't help your training so just go for it.

Great goal! What are you doing for the pull-ups?

And no... I don't find them very different.. they used to be a lot harder when my squat wasn't quite as good (read; upright), but now there is not much difference between the two. The bar position is actually less scary, you can easily drop it out in front of you when you can't get up. It's a bit uncomfortable at first, especially if you do it right and keep it against your throat. But you get used to that quickly. Don't actually hold it fully, just rest it on two fingers or so.

I'm currently doing 3x5 lat pulldowns, sometimes with the V-bar and sometimes the normal one, and one-arm dumbbell rows. Sometimes I also hang from the pull-up bar to improve my grip strength. I used to do inverted rows, but didn't really seem to improve in them, and my current gym doesn't have a Smith machine that I used to do them with (the only use I ever had for the Smith machine :D)

I decided to try front squats on Friday when I was still on that crazy PWO, and oh my dog. I couldn't comprehend the hand/bar position at all. I read how-tos and watched videos on how you're supposed to hold the bar, but everything seemed so awkward and my arms were bent really weirdly, even though I don't (to my knowledge?) have arm mobility issues. I'll probably have to get someone to teach me, and continue back squats until that. Not that front squats are a huge priority to me atm, since my ambitions are more power- than Olympic weightlifting-oriented, but it'd still be nice to, you know, be able to do them.

Does your heart rate matter if you were otherwise not getting especially fatigued? I mean, your heart will adapt or get the f out. Hopefully not the latter :P (Want me to send you some of my crazy PWO in an envelope?)

You make those kettlebell snatches look so easy. I'm sure they're not, but you look like you're just chillin' and swingin' some KBs, all chill :D

POLARIS - LEVEL 4 AVATAR WARRIOR/MONK

(currently visiting assassins) | Challenge Thread

"We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us."

TLDR; just me blabbing about coaching, feel free to skip. 

Putting it behind spoiler tags too, because I rambled on.

Oh, almost forgot... I have been working on my coaching things, but haven't really found anything to share. I've been working on a way to keep easier track of everyone's training and test results, i've got it figured out for my online clients (using google docs-excel now, so they can fill in rpe/rpt/hr etc) but haven't found an optimal solution for my home-team yet. Atm still using pictures I take of the whiteboard.

Random coaching thought of the day; 

I've found that I need to strike a perfect balance in my programming for the home-team between several things. One is between ideal competition training and the fun-aspect. Ideal competition training often involved boring long sets, that mostly tire out the grip and don't leave you sweating on the ground. (Most are strong and fit enough for their competition goals, but don't have enough grip endurance.) If I want to do something very fun then I pick ladders, people really like lifting the heavy bells for short amounts of time. Or short sets at a breakneck speed. People are silly. But it is important to keep them from burning out. 

Which leads me into the other coaching thought of the day; 

People behave so weird when they've got a 'heavy' weight. You see this a lot in weightlifting, they think it's heavy so instead of lifting it like they normally would they start acting like complete f*king morons who don't know how to move or get under a bar. And you see the same in kettlebellsport... instead of making nice long swings, taking it easy, letting gravity do the work for them... they suddenly start pulling like crazy people on the kb and using their arm muscles as if that will somehow get a better results than simply using their legs.. but they somehow got it into their heads that it's 'heavy' and therefore they should be 'doing more'. 

It's easier with kettlebells because I can just make sure they lift heavier than competition weight regularly.. but what's harder to train them for is keeping the movement long and smooth when their grip starts failing or it starts feeling heavy. The mental game in kbsport is very much keeping it cool for those 10 minutes. 

My best solution so far is simply making sure they are so much above their comp weight in ability that they don't have to deal with these things quite as much... but eventually for the top athletes this just stops working. And the approach needs to be different for everyone... but I do think the trust thing is really important. They have to believe they can do it. And that's why I actively try to make them blindly believe in my judgement of wether they can do something or not.

For remote vs home team lifters I think you need to unify the solutions. I use Excel + Dropbox for everyone. Home team lifters with individual programs work off the Dropbox app on their phones and I write the more general population/kid's programs on the board.

@grip: do you guys ever use gloved sets? My GS buds were always doing those near the end of their workouts to challenge grip.  

And yeah, heavy sports are 120% mental. Staying cool and doing the same thing regardless of what weight is on the bar is something that can only be forged through thousands of hours of dedicated practice and is part of what makes these sports so damn hard/annoying sometimes ha.

Eat. Sleep. High bar squat. | Strength is a skill, refine it.
Follow my Weightlifting team's antics: Instagram | Facebook | Youtube
Looking for a strength program? Check out The Danger Method and remember to do your damn abs

You make those kettlebell snatches look so easy. I'm sure they're not, but you look like you're just chillin' and swingin' some KBs, all chill :D

That's what I think when I watch those vids :)  Just chillin' with some KB's.

• Like 2