KB Girl has an affair with barbells

KB Girl

Time appears to be flying! So quick catch-up update;

• Wedding was great fun, good music and dancing! I was lucky and found a stretchy dress in my sister's closet. Unfortunately no pictures... I post a lot of video here (this was part of one of my first challenges), but in real life i'm actually kind of camera shy so nobody managed to get a pic. At least I didn't see anything on Facebook. Next time. Maybe ;)
  • Food not quite as good, lost a bit of mojo. Weight is still going down, but very slowly. Will work on fixing this...
  • Training has been good, I'll post a little log behind a spoiler. 
  • Signed up for a local weightlifting meet at the end of next week, just for funs and inspiration. \o/

The reason time has flown by is because I'm giving another course this weekend for kettlebellsport. Usually I only do 3-4 hour workshops, but this one is actually 4 whole days... people actually signed up for it too, which is great! But of course now i'm stressing out a bit, because I want to deliver. I've been collecting and organizing my thoughts for this for weeks now, all the puzzle pieces are there, I just need to fit them together in the next 3 days. 

Sunday 

My hands were sore so I gleefully ignored kettlebells in favor of barbells :tongue:

Push Jerk (in kg)

35 x 3 x 3

45 x 2 x 5

50 x 1 x 5

55 x 1

Front Squat (in kg)

45 x 5 x 2

55 x 3 x 3

Monday 

Warmed up and then did pull-ups, actually got that 4th I was looking for :)

KB snatches (in kg)

right arm; 8 reps with 18, 16, 14, 12 in a row without pause

left arm; 8 reps with 18, 16, 14, 12 in a row without pause

KB cleans (in kg)

26 x 4/4 x 6 with 40sec breaks in between

Tuesday

Best day, BB's and KB's.

KB snatches (in kg) 

right arm; 24 x 4, 12 x 4 > x4

left arm; 24 x 4, 12 x 4 > x4 

5 min break

14kg, 6 minutes @12 rpm, 1 switch

BB hang cleans + jerk (in kg)

35 x 1 x 8

45 x 1 x 8

55 x 1 x 3

I'm confident your workshops will be awesome. Just from the tips you've given here, I know you're a great coach.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Blah I just ate all the chocolate. I don't even know why. (It's not that time of the month.) 

Ugh.

Probably because you're a bit stressed about wanting to put on a good workshop, even if it's not conscious. And because cutting weight is hard enough to begin with, and at least for me, increased Hangry leads to decreased Willpower. And because life is life, and sometimes there's no reason. And when all these things happen together, and chocolate is in reach, resistance is futile.

But it's done and over with now, you can't undo it, so there's no use in regret. Move forward from here, you've got a good plan, which will still work just as well AC (After Chocolate) as it did BC (Before Chocolate). This is maybe a bump along the way, but not nearly enough to stop you. Stick with it and you'll get there!

• Like 1

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Yes! How is paris treating you? Did you make a thread? I'll go look :)

I have a battlelog now, and I will keep to that for a while. Challenges can be a bit too much pressure. Though eventually at some point I will want to get to level 7 so I will have to do a challenge again. Not for now though. :P And Paris not yet, but it is creeping closer and closer! First of November I'm going there! 

Time appears to be flying! So quick catch-up update;

• Wedding was great fun, good music and dancing! I was lucky and found a stretchy dress in my sister's closet. Unfortunately no pictures... I post a lot of video here (this was part of one of my first challenges), but in real life i'm actually kind of camera shy so nobody managed to get a pic. At least I didn't see anything on Facebook. Next time. Maybe ;)
  • Food not quite as good, lost a bit of mojo. Weight is still going down, but very slowly. Will work on fixing this...
  • Training has been good, I'll post a little log behind a spoiler. 
  • Signed up for a local weightlifting meet at the end of next week, just for funs and inspiration. \o/

Haha, that's okay. You're allowed to be camera shy <3 Glad you found a dress, were you comfortable in it aswell? Even if the food isn't good, make sure it doesn't get so bad you start gaining weight again. Because that would just make lots of tracking and being good sort of wasted, and that's not okay! You can do it! How cool you're going to sign up for a weightlifting meet :D 

Blah I just ate all the chocolate. I don't even know why. (It's not that time of the month.) 

Ugh.

Chocolate is delicious :(

GIF-Might-as-well-die-happy.gif

Four pull ups!!!

Yess \o/

Good luck with your workshop. I'd be interested to hear what you covered.

Only sport specific stuff, all the little nuances in technique. I've also tried to develop a system to evaluate where you are at (by being able to check your own technique) and how to prioritize and program accordingly. 

I'm confident your workshops will be awesome. Just from the tips you've given here, I know you're a great coach.

Thank you EG :)

Probably because you're a bit stressed about wanting to put on a good workshop, even if it's not conscious. And because cutting weight is hard enough to begin with, and at least for me, increased Hangry leads to decreased Willpower. And because life is life, and sometimes there's no reason. And when all these things happen together, and chocolate is in reach, resistance is futile.

But it's done and over with now, you can't undo it, so there's no use in regret. Move forward from here, you've got a good plan, which will still work just as well AC (After Chocolate) as it did BC (Before Chocolate). This is maybe a bump along the way, but not nearly enough to stop you. Stick with it and you'll get there!

Yea, stress is a likely factor... I'm trying to leave it behind me! You're right, there is a plan, just gotta stick to it. BC. :)

I have a battlelog now, and I will keep to that for a while. Challenges can be a bit too much pressure. Though eventually at some point I will want to get to level 7 so I will have to do a challenge again. Not for now though. :tongue: And Paris not yet, but it is creeping closer and closer! First of November I'm going there! 

Haha, that's okay. You're allowed to be camera shy <3 Glad you found a dress, were you comfortable in it aswell? Even if the food isn't good, make sure it doesn't get so bad you start gaining weight again. Because that would just make lots of tracking and being good sort of wasted, and that's not okay! You can do it! How cool you're going to sign up for a weightlifting meet :D

Chocolate is delicious :(

GIF-Might-as-well-die-happy.gif

This gif is adorable. I could look at it all day!

Nope, definitely can't let the food get out of hand. I'm on a deadline!

• Like 2

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl gets her bujo back

my instagram - my gym's instagram

I was lucky and found a stretchy dress in my sister's closet. 

The reason time has flown by is because I'm giving another course this weekend for kettlebellsport. Usually I only do 3-4 hour workshops, but this one is actually 4 whole days... people actually signed up for it too, which is great! But of course now i'm stressing out a bit, because I want to deliver. I've been collecting and organizing my thoughts for this for weeks now, all the puzzle pieces are there, I just need to fit them together in the next 3 days. 

Stretchy dresses have saved me any number of times, too.  Usually, if I find one that fits my waist, I won't be able to zip it up all of the way in the back.  So, I'm either stuck with a baggy waist, or I'm stuck with something overly tight in the chest and shoulders.  At least stretchy dresses fix that problem nicely. :)

I'm not surprised that you're stressing out a little.  I hate feeling like I'm disappointing people or caught unprepared whenever I'm teaching things, so I tend to over-prepare.  But that's great.  It's much better to have a solid agenda and a lot of options, and then tweak things as needed than it is to go in and just try to wing everything.  I'm sure things will go smoothly, since you're putting so much thought into this workshop.  

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

Maybe keeping busy is a good way to keep on a steep calorie deficit without it requiring too much willpower? As someone on the previous page said, without food you don't have as much willpower to keep on the deficit, so it helps to be distracted. Also being busy often burns calories :P You should sign up for a 4-day kettlebell teaching course or something.... I admire your effort with this - I know  how difficult I find life when I don't have sufficient food for whatever reason :o

Good luck for the barbell meet - should be fun, and useful to get some feedback from some other experienced people too!

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

[ STR 36.75 | DEX 26.00 | STA 28.00 | CON 31.25 | WIS 29.25 | CHA 24.50 ]

current 5-week challenge: March 2020

external websites with my resources for...

fitness & breathwork | mental math & mind sports | motivation & productivity

Stretchy dresses have saved me any number of times, too.  Usually, if I find one that fits my waist, I won't be able to zip it up all of the way in the back.  So, I'm either stuck with a baggy waist, or I'm stuck with something overly tight in the chest and shoulders.  At least stretchy dresses fix that problem nicely. :)

I'm not surprised that you're stressing out a little.  I hate feeling like I'm disappointing people or caught unprepared whenever I'm teaching things, so I tend to over-prepare.  But that's great.  It's much better to have a solid agenda and a lot of options, and then tweak things as needed than it is to go in and just try to wing everything.  I'm sure things will go smoothly, since you're putting so much thought into this workshop.  

To be completely honest.. I don't think I over prepare, but I do over think.. so I get stuck a lot on actually finishing the prep work, because new ideas come up or I get frozen by perfectionism x) But it went well yesterday! I'll update in a minute.

Congrats on that 4th pull-up!

I'm with everyone else on the KB workshop... you're gonna rock it!

Thank you! The 4th is also here to stay, managed it twice more in a set :)

This sounds very nice and extremely useful. Sometimes I wish your sport wasn't kettlebells. ;)

One day of chocolate won't derail you. Just get back on track. Otherwise you'll have to go running or something. :tongue:

Hah really? What would you have me use all my obsessive nerdy powers on then? 

The one day of chocolate turned into 3 of them... but i'm cool now. It was a shark attack after all. And I actually went running just now! Must be freezing down under.

Maybe keeping busy is a good way to keep on a steep calorie deficit without it requiring too much willpower? As someone on the previous page said, without food you don't have as much willpower to keep on the deficit, so it helps to be distracted. Also being busy often burns calories :tongue: You should sign up for a 4-day kettlebell teaching course or something.... I admire your effort with this - I know  how difficult I find life when I don't have sufficient food for whatever reason :o

Good luck for the barbell meet - should be fun, and useful to get some feedback from some other experienced people too!

Yes I think you're definitely on to something there.. busyness is good. Worrying not so much. Yesterday (during the course) I ate almost nothing at all and never even noticed... if only I could do that every other day :D

Last update! This challenge has flown by, i'm actually a little sad it is over. With goal picking I took it easy on myself and went with the basics, mostly to make sure I wouldn't go into hiding. That has definitely worked! Despite not having super challenging goals, being here keeps me on my toes, (re)evaluating and inspired. Thank you all for that!

'Quick' recap; 

Goal 1; weightlifting with barbells.

It has been fun to write in my log wether i'm doing snatches with a KB or a BB! It has been nice nerding out on BB technique, it's also been nice working on strength in a manner that suits me (not just doing reps but working on learning a movement). This is the main reason i'm sad the challenge is over, because I want some more of this!

Goal 2; do the KB work.

TLDR; I did! 

I'm actually surprised that I stuck to my program so well. I seem to be making progress. It's still very uncertain wether I will be able to qualify for worlds, but the option is still there. Let's do some more of this too.

Goal 3; recover

Well, I didn't pay as much attention to this as I should have. I did learn some things, I learned how far I can push fun stuff without affecting my training, I learned how much a lack of sleep destroys all my good intentions and I got an app for tracking my cycle (yay fun girl stuff) which should proof very useful in the future. 

(Bonus) Goal 4; keep growing as a coach

I think this was a win. I didn't post as much as I would have liked, but there has been quite a bit of coaching talk on this thread. I didn't post more because I'm too perfectionist and don't like sharing half-finished thoughts, but I did think about posting a lot, haha. Which helped me structure my thoughts even if you guys didn't get to see it. The last day of the challenge was the first day of my kettlebell course, so the timing was excellent. 

• Like 6

Ok ok, this is the actual last update ;)
Spam about the workshop stuff I did behind spoiler tags;

Yesterday was the first day of the kettlebell course i'm giving (next day is in two weeks to give ppl time to practice). I'm very very relieved at how well it came together in the end. Ofcourse I'm still stressing out thinking about how well it was received (and wether they 'liked' me, because i'm silly like that) but I reckon I did everything I could.

For those at all interested, I've got a small piece of crappily shot video and some pictures:
a7528101e1d6918e154c7c19f2cc43f3.jpg

4088bb6bb7b2c116113f0717ae033067.jpg

e931bd261c01f08e99435d78708d4afc.jpg

46a0f236d9f04ec29244e4399c9714f8.jpg

• Like 2

I have really enjoyed following this Challenge, and you have helped me out a lot.  So many kudos for your coaching :)

I'm sure that your students got a lot from their first day, they are probably at home trying to make sure they remember everything you went over.  Did you sent an email with a recap of what you covered?  That really helped me after my first day of KB training.

Looking forward to see what you come up with next time :)

Barbarian Assassin / Level 5

STR: 16.5 | DEX: 4.8 | STA: 8.9 | CON: 8.7 | WIS: 6.6 | CHA: 6.8

My Current Six Week Challenge - Jrosto - A Barbarian Cleans Up His Act

Previous Challenges - #1, #2, #3, #4

My NF Introduction Post : My MDA Journal : My MDA Phase 1 Success Story

Simple & Sinister Workout Log

Keep Calm and Send in the Penguins!

Congrats on a great challenge! I'm sorry I wasn't able to drop by as often as I'd have liked to.

Goal 1; weightlifting with barbells.

It has been fun to write in my log wether i'm doing snatches with a KB or a BB! It has been nice nerding out on BB technique, it's also been nice working on strength in a manner that suits me (not just doing reps but working on learning a movement). This is the main reason i'm sad the challenge is over, because I want some more of this!

You could always continue this affair and stick around in Warriors for another challenge :D. No reason the barbell work just has to be a summer fling!

Goal 3; recover

Well, I didn't pay as much attention to this as I should have. I did learn some things, I learned how far I can push fun stuff without affecting my training, I learned how much a lack of sleep destroys all my good intentions and I got an app for tracking my cycle (yay fun girl stuff) which should proof very useful in the future. 

What exactly does this app track? I use excel to track the start date of my cycle, but that's about it. Learning about how/if it interferes with training would be useful--does the app facilitate that type of tracking?

-:- THE LIONESS -:-

Challenge 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, 2.8, 2.9 

I have really enjoyed following this Challenge, and you have helped me out a lot.  So many kudos for your coaching :)

I'm sure that your students got a lot from their first day, they are probably at home trying to make sure they remember everything you went over.  Did you sent an email with a recap of what you covered?  That really helped me after my first day of KB training.

Looking forward to see what you come up with next time :)

Thanks! It's been fun having more people around who have some idea what i'm talking about with this kb stuff :) 

I didn't send them an email, but we made a closed facebook group where i've posted a recap and the models I've used. I'll be posting videos in the next few days and expect them to post their own training videos aswell. It's an experiment, but it promisses to be fun!

Congrats on a great challenge! I'm sorry I wasn't able to drop by as often as I'd have liked to.

You could always continue this affair and stick around in Warriors for another challenge :D. No reason the barbell work just has to be a summer fling!

What exactly does this app track? I use excel to track the start date of my cycle, but that's about it. Learning about how/if it interferes with training would be useful--does the app facilitate that type of tracking?

Thanks! And yes, I think I might just do that. I definitely need less endurance now that i've moved up in competition weight (for now), so more strength is really the thing.

The app tracks cycle, and also tries to predict when the next one comes and when pms starts (it'll give you a warning which is nice because then you know why you're acting odd), but what i like most about it is that it has room for comments and symptoms... for example you can very easily enter info like having a headache and see if there's a pattern.. and i'll be giving a number to how 'easy' workouts are and see if there's a pattern with that.

It's called P.Tracker if you're interested (it's free).

Great challenge!  I loved watching you master a new skill.  You've inspired me for my next challenge!

Master is entirely inappropriate! :D But thank you! I'll continue working on not being crap at it :) 

I loved following you on this challenge, even though I wasn't here to cheer you on all the way! Any thoughts on the next challenge?

Glad you're back! The next one will probably be all about qualifying for worlds.. 

• Like 1

Thanks! It's been fun having more people around who have some idea what i'm talking about with this kb stuff :)

I didn't send them an email, but we made a closed facebook group where i've posted a recap and the models I've used. I'll be posting videos in the next few days and expect them to post their own training videos aswell. It's an experiment, but it promisses to be fun!

That sounds like an excellent idea.  Nice way to both provide feedback, and build a team.

• Like 1

Barbarian Assassin / Level 5

STR: 16.5 | DEX: 4.8 | STA: 8.9 | CON: 8.7 | WIS: 6.6 | CHA: 6.8

My Current Six Week Challenge - Jrosto - A Barbarian Cleans Up His Act

Previous Challenges - #1, #2, #3, #4

My NF Introduction Post : My MDA Journal : My MDA Phase 1 Success Story

Simple & Sinister Workout Log

Keep Calm and Send in the Penguins!

Hah really? What would you have me use all my obsessive nerdy powers on then? 

The one day of chocolate turned into 3 of them... but i'm cool now. It was a shark attack after all. And I actually went running just now! Must be freezing down under.

I don't know, anything. I'm sure you'd be an excellent coach at whatever you chose.

Whoooah! Well done.

Last update! This challenge has flown by, i'm actually a little sad it is over. 

Well there's always the next one. ;)

I really loved your attitude and the fun in this challenge! I'm super excited about the next one too, can't wait to see you go to woooorld's! :D

I don't know, anything. I'm sure you'd be an excellent coach at whatever you chose.

Well there's always the next one. ;)

I really loved your attitude and the fun in this challenge! I'm super excited about the next one too, can't wait to see you go to woooorld's! :D

Thanks :) I liked my attitude too, haha. To be fair this was probably thanks to not including any RL stuff that i'm struggling with. 

Honestly, sometimes I can feel really blessed that I found this kettlebell sport thing.. because most other fields are already very explored... like being a chemist now vs being a chemist a hundred years ago. There isn't even a well written book about training and coaching for kb sport, so there is an option for me to do that. Wow! That's really lucky really.  Imagine being into soccer.. xD

• Like 1