• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

dustoff

[Dustoff] Chapter 2 - Pain is Unavoidable

Hi all, I’m Mike and this will be my second challenge. I’m not sure where I fit in Guild wise so I am hoping I will fit in here. My last challenge I lost about 10 lbs. and did descent enough hitting my goals. I did see some change throughout the last challenge but not as much as I was hoping for. This time I am going to push harder. I have set some more difficult goals and I am determined to stick to them.

My overall long term goal is to get fit and reduce my body fat percentage to an acceptable level. My goal of 55 lbs. of weight loss is the first major boss battle I face on my journey. I’ve made great progress so far but feel like I am falling behind a little. I had hoped to lose 15 lbs. during the last challenge but only managed 10. This time I am adding in tracking additional measurements(other than just weight) so I can hopefully see the change I am working for. I already drink nothing but water daily and eat mostly healthy foods. I stick fairly close to a paleo diet but as with everything there is always room for improvement. The hardest part for me is that I travel one week out of the month so I am in a hotel room and have trouble eating right and exercising when on the road.

Current Stats:

Sex: Male

Height: 5’10â€

Weight: 241.8 lbs.

Stomach: 45"

Chest: 45"

Neck: 17"

Bicep: 14"

Thigh: 26.25"

BMI: 34.7

Main Quest: Lose 55 pounds by October 1st 

Goal 1: Aim small; miss small – My goal is to hit 1500 calories (or less) per day for the entire challenge. Calories will be tracked using My Fitness Pal. 1500 calories a day should be a small enough target so even if I fail and go over a bit I still am at a deficit for the day.

Graded weekly, the final grade will be an average of the weekly grades

A = 1500 Calories per day

B = 1600 Calories per day

C = 1700 Calories per day

D = 1800 Calories per day

E = More than 1800 Calories per day

Goal 2: The pain you feel today will be the strength you feel tomorrow.  - Follow the Insanity work out program. This will mean popping in the DVD 6 days a week and doing the work. I attempted this program once before and only made it to the end of the 4th week before an injury (sprained ankle) followed by an illness (mono) was used as an excuse to quit. This time no matter what the set back, I will finish. I will be done with week 1 and starting on week 2 when the challenge begins. I won’t finish the program during the challenge but will be very close to the end. The hope is by the end of the challenge the workout routine is a daily habit and I will finish the program in the 63 days it is to take.

Graded weekly, the final grade will be an average of the weekly grades.

A = Complete all 6 workouts in a week.

B = Complete 5 workouts in a week.

C = Complete 4 workouts in a week.

D = Complete 3 workouts in a week.

E = Complete less than 3 workouts during the week.

Goal 3: Know your limitations then defy them – 600 push-ups throughout the challenge. That should be 100 push-ups a week. This is in addition to my daily workout. Any push-ups done during my insanity workout will not be counted.  

Graded weekly, but the final grade will be based on the percentage of push-ups completed during the entire challenge. This way if I miss the 100 mark for a week I will have some motivation to make up for it the next week.

A = 90 - 100 push-ups for the week

B = 80 – 90 push-ups for the week

C = 70 – 80 push-ups for the week

D = 60 – 70 push-ups for the week

E = Less than 60 push-ups for the week

Life Quest: Saving money has not been a strong point for me for a pretty long time. It’s been a while since I’ve seen the savings account grow so my life quest for this challenge is to make that happen.

A = $1000 added to the account

B = $750 added to the account

C = $500 added to the account

D = $250 added to the account

E = Anything less than $250 added to the account.

I noticed a spreadsheet in SomeGuyFromScotland’s challenge and I hope he doesn’t mind me stealing his idea to track my progress. There are so many great ideas on here sometimes it’s hard not to snatch them up and use them. I will post a copy of my progress spreadsheet every week.

gallery_40372_1824_11766.png

• Like 4

You will find all kinds here in Adventurers. Your goals are great and your 10lbs so far is outstanding. Especially since you don't have to overcome a terrible diet or drinking soda.

SGFS will love the fact that you are stealing his spreadsheet.

This guys spread sheets are legendary too. If you flip through you also see the graphs for weight, calorie deficit and more.

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/65752-drfeelgood-continuing-the-adventure/

• Like 1

I finished up my spreadsheet for the challenge. Thanks again to SomeGuyFromScotland for the great idea. My spreadsheet is based on the spreadsheet he posted in his challenge thread. 

EDIT: Spreadsheet moved to first post in this thread.

• Like 2

Looking at the weight loss trend line it appears that my goal of losing 55 lbs by Oct 1st may be a bit too optimistic. If I extended the goal to the end of the year I would have a much better chance of achieving it. I'm just not sure I want to admit defeat already and alter my original goal. I'm up in the air about it. Should my goals alter based on results or should they remain the same and be possibly setting me up for failure? 

I set multiple goal lines so I can avoid the exact failure you are talking about. I usually have a line with the original goal(which will never be met at the rate I am going) then I usually reset the line for the beginning of a challenge to see how well I do with the challenge and a more realistic goal. Its worked for me.

• Like 1

Looking at your intro and that you already eat healthy, I would suggest going with no more than a two pound weight loss a week. See how you do and adjust if you feel that you are not pushing yourself enough and could get more. I just don't want to see you get frustrated and give up because of a scale. Also remember the weight number isn't the only thing to be proud of. Inches lost, muscle building and fat losses are really the goal. You can do this and with those OUTSTANDING spread sheets we will all witness it. Don't forget to take a picture of yourself (you don't have to share with us) to compare yourself after a couple challenges.

• Like 1

I set multiple goal lines so I can avoid the exact failure you are talking about. I usually have a line with the original goal(which will never be met at the rate I am going) then I usually reset the line for the beginning of a challenge to see how well I do with the challenge and a more realistic goal. Its worked for me.

I think I might do that. I'll just add a line to show a more realistic goal and leave my original goal displayed as well. This way I can see that I am making good progress but also have that main goal to keep pushing for. 

Looking at your intro and that you already eat healthy, I would suggest going with no more than a two pound weight loss a week. See how you do and adjust if you feel that you are not pushing yourself enough and could get more. I just don't want to see you get frustrated and give up because of a scale. Also remember the weight number isn't the only thing to be proud of. Inches lost, muscle building and fat losses are really the goal. You can do this and with those OUTSTANDING spread sheets we will all witness it. Don't forget to take a picture of yourself (you don't have to share with us) to compare yourself after a couple challenges.

The original goal is around a three pound per week loss and the trend line right now is closer to two pounds per week. I wish I had measured myself before and after the last challenge so the scale wasn't my only focus but lesson learned and I am measuring myself this time around. Hopefully the tape measure will be motivational than the scale. I have a before and after pic from the last challenge but I'm a bit embarrassed to share it. I definitely see progress and hopefully by the end of this challenge I will see a lot more. 

Monday went well. I got all my starting measurements and uploaded my tracking spreadsheet. It is attached below. I have gained a couple pounds since the last challenge but I'm not too far behind. I figure most of the weight probably came from a party my wife and I attended this past weekend. 

Monday Review:

Goal 1 - 1500 calories a day. I had 1077 for the day. 

Goal 2: workouts. I did the daily insanity workout. 

Goal 3: push-ups. I did not do any push-ups in addition to my regular workout. 

EDIT: Spreadsheet moved to first post in this thread.

• Like 1

Tuesday Review:

Goal 1 - 1500 calories a day. I had 1794 for the day. A little above my goal for the day but I am still on track for my weekly average. I would of been fine but I lost the battle with a jar of peanut butter my kids left on the kitchen island.

Goal 3: push-ups. I did not do any push-ups in addition to my regular workout. 

I think I will need to start doing my push-ups in the morning before I go to work. I do my insanity workouts in the evening and when I am done there is no way I can do additional push-ups.

Wednesday Review:

Goal 1 - 1500 calories a day. I had 1546 for the day. Not too bad. 

Goal 3: push-ups. I did not do any push-ups in addition to my regular workout. Today is a light workout for Insanity so I think I will try to knock out as many as I can tonight. 

Thursday Review:

Goal 1 - 1500 calories a day. I had 1673 for the day. Over my goal again. 

Goal 2: workouts. I didn't do my insanity workout. My wife was ill and in the urgent care center so I had 4 kids to deal with and was worn out by the time she got home. It was a recovery/stretch day so it's not the end of the world but still wish i had just done it. 

Goal 3: push-ups. NONE... Seems I am failing this one pretty badly. 

Ok, so I failed at all my goals yesterday. I didn't really feel bad(realize how bad I did) until I started typing this post. Seems Thursday was a pretty shitty day for me. I will be trying to  make today better.

It's been a few days since I last posted. I have uploaded my latest spreadsheet and included it in my first post. I was able to continue to meet my calorie goals for the past few days despite a ton of stress, a birthday party, and a heartbreaking loss. My exercise did however suffer. I was not able to complete my insanity workouts for the second half of last week. I only got in 3 of my 6 workouts. On Thursday my wife was ill as mentioned in my last post and I missed my workout. On Friday we had a birthday party for my son and it was very late before we could get everyone out of our home and things cleaned up. I was completely spent and so I skipped the workout again. My last workout of the week was skipped because of the passing of one of our dogs. He was a three year old French Brittany. My family was devastated. We have no explanation about why he passed as he was completely healthy. I spent a few hours digging his grave by hand and I was well past exhausted and skipped my insanity workout opting to spend the time with my wife and kids instead. 

It was a rough end to last week and I am trying to focus on my goals and move forward. I got back to my workouts last night and will be pushing to get all of them in this week. 

Tuesday Review:

Goal 1 - 1500 calories a day. I had 1661 for the day.  

Goal 3: push-ups. I did not do any push-ups in addition to my regular workout. I really need to get this figured out. I have not done a single push-up since the challenge started. I am having a hard time finding the time to do them. 

Sorry to hear about you dog, that's awfully sad. On the other hand, great job with keeping your motivation and sticking with your quest goals. Many people would (myself included) would use a big event like that to shake off their responsibilities and maybe wallow a bit, but you're still with it. Good job thus far!

Great job on the spreadsheet!  I might copy off your idea there a little bit...

Thanks, but I copied the idea from SomeGuyFromScottland. His spreadsheet can be found here if you are looking for more ideas. 

I am so sorry to hear about your dog :( they are part of the family and it is so hard to loose them unexpectedly, or even when you know its coming.

Good job bouncing back into the challenge. I wish you the best.

Oh man, I'm really sorry about your dog! My family had a similar thing happen with our cat a few years back. He was only 6yrs, perfect health, all that. It's hard; I feel for you. I'm very impressed that it didn't knock you off your feet for a few days.

Thanks all. Not anything I can do to fix the situation with Chase passing so the challenge has given me something to distract myself from the entire situation. Worst part of the entire thing was having to tell my 13 year old son that the dog he had been training for the next hunting season, the animal he spent so much time getting close to had passed away on his birthday. He was really close to Chase. They spent a lot of time together. All of my kids have taken it hard but my oldest son has been hit the worst from this. I got him a new shotgun for his birthday in preparation for the upcoming pheasant hunting season and his first year handling Chase as they hunted together. He was so excited and went to bed with a huge smile on his face. I had to wake him up the next morning and break his heart. It's just been one of those situations that has been terrible to go through. We lost a great dog and a part of our family. Moving forward seems like my only option right now so that's what I am trying my best to do. 

Wednesday Review:

Goal 1 - 1500 calories a day. I had 1382 for the day.  

Goal 3: push-ups. Yet again I did not do any additional push-ups.  I am failing badly at this goal and need to find a way to turn it around. 

• Like 1

Could you try sprinkling push ups in instead of setting aside time for them? Like turn the shower on, do 10 push ups, waiting on food/coffee do some push ups, wake up in the morning, fall out of bed, do 10 push ups. You get the idea.

I am still really bummed about your dog. My parents had something similar happen with one of my childhood dogs last year. Woke up one morning and found he had passed in his sleep. That dog was my mom's bff as my dad was working on the other side of the country. It was devastating for her, and all of us really. He was the best dog ever, also a hunting dog. Hugs to you and your family.

Could you try sprinkling push ups in instead of setting aside time for them? Like turn the shower on, do 10 push ups, waiting on food/coffee do some push ups, wake up in the morning, fall out of bed, do 10 push ups. You get the idea.

I am still really bummed about your dog. My parents had something similar happen with one of my childhood dogs last year. Woke up one morning and found he had passed in his sleep. That dog was my mom's bff as my dad was working on the other side of the country. It was devastating for her, and all of us really. He was the best dog ever, also a hunting dog. Hugs to you and your family.

I think I may have to sprinkle the push-ups in. I had originally planned on doing them in the morning but the past couple weeks my morning schedule has been very messed up from working late into the evening and getting far too little sleep. I got a link yesterday for a 100 push-up workout program and wanted to start it last night but again after my workout I was exhausted and sore. The insanity workouts are pretty long and very intense. I am determined to have all 600 in before the end of the challenge I just need to find the motivation to get the first set in. I have made enough excuses its time I just do them. Maybe today will be the day I finally get my lazy ass moving on this goal. 

Well I have officially started my push-ups. Posted my last reply and thought fuck it (pardon my language) and dropped to the floor in my office and knocked out 10. It's a small step toward my 600 but it is at least a step.

• Like 3

Great job so far. It's hard to get motivation when things aren't going your way right from the start (I've had some issues with that myself).

Sorry to hear about your dog. It's always hard to deal