SpecialSundae keeps it simple and heads for 400 Wilks

For those who haven't heard through other means, it has finally been officially announced that I've been selected for the Scottish team in the Commonwealth Powerlifting Championships.

As per my Woot, I think that makes me the first person to go from newbie lifter to international powerlifter whilst on Nerd Fitness.

Really want to hit at least a 140kg squat in Canada, but we'll see!

(For those unaware of what the Commonwealth is, it's all the countries who used to be part of the British Empire other than Ireland and the USA.)

• Like 9

For those who haven't heard through other means, it has finally been officially announced that I've been selected for the Scottish team in the Commonwealth Powerlifting Championships.

Gratz on making the team.  I will likely be in that area around Christmas, but you will be there and gone by then.

Classless Human Male Warrior - Introduction

Height: 1.77m Weight: 93 kg

Spoiler

Current Maxes: (repsxkg)

Squat: 10x122.3, 5x138.2, 3x147; 1x170

Bench Press: 10x79, 5x93, 1x102

Deadlift: 10x152, 5x192, 3x210, 1x229

Overhead Press: 10x52, 5x61, 1x70.3

Current Battle Log: 1707 Sam Ashen Summer Swole Program

2017 Challenges:  1701 1702 1703 1704 1705

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1609  1610 1611 1612

Daily Log:The Daily Grind

Form Check:  Stronglifts Olympic

More FC's:  Pistol Squats

Want to play?  MFPvP

(For those unaware of what the Commonwealth is, it's all the countries who used to be part of the British Empire other than Ireland and the USA.)

WWI-BritanniaRules-L.jpg

I guess it's kind of a cat picture!

Well done again, I'm so pleased for you and really looking forward to seeing how you get on in Canada :)

• Like 1

Still failing on sleep. Only got about 7 hours last night, which wasn't ideal. :(

Doing okay with mobility. I'm not quite sticking to the letter of the challenge but had a massage today, I've been sticking to yoga and there's usually a level of self-massage or stretching every day.

Friday 4/9:

Hot yoga.  :) Tried a side crow but couldn't even get close so I went for more hanging out in crow.

Saturday 5/9:

High box squats:

(20kg x10x2)

(50kg x10)

(70kg x10)

95kg x10x2

Bench:

(20kg x10)

(40kg x10)

50kg x10x2

Deadlifts:

(70kg x5x2)

(90kg x5)

110kg x4x5

Felt heavier than I would have liked, but every rep went up and not too bad given I hadn't really done deadlifts for a couple of weeks. 

Standing dumbbell press:

10kg x12

12.5kg x10

15kg x8, x6

Wussed out of going up to 17.5kg but I think now that I should have.

Lat pulldown:

35kg x12, x10, x8, x6

Cable row:

30kg x12, x10

35kg x8

40kg x6

Home for a really long sports massage. I have the best friends!  :D

I'm going to have a bath again tonight and have a huge dinner.  :)

Congrats on making the Scottish cpf team!

That's awesome, yeay you! :D

Woot! That's incredible news, congratulations!

Gratz on making the team.  I will likely be in that area around Christmas, but you will be there and gone by then.

Yay!!! Congratulations!

WWI-BritanniaRules-L.jpg

I guess it's kind of a cat picture!

Well done again, I'm so pleased for you and really looking forward to seeing how you get on in Canada :)

Congrats on the selection! 

Thanks everyone! I'm oddly calm but looking forward to it so much!

Yes, and if you like them I'll get my athlete code off Tom.

Yes, please! :)

• Like 2

http://instagram.com/p/7NUKOgDSqq/

As per my Woot, I think that makes me the first person to go from newbie lifter to international powerlifter whilst on Nerd Fitness.

Wow! Well done!

Don't drop out:

dropout.jpeg

Okay, I'm terrible for dropping out of challenges of late, so first goal is just to make it through the challenge without getting so miserable about my challenge that I drop out.

To counteract this, I'm going to post a kitten gif every day (and feel free to join me).

STILL HERE! Kitten gifs didn't happen but posts did, so I'm calling this an A.

Work that rock-hard ass

P7118627-800x451.jpg

Okay, so I have a rock hard ass... and not in a good way.

Basically, my glutes are so knotted up that they're practically solid and it's actually causing me a lot of pain. The goal is to lax ball my glutes for at least 5 minutes a day (excluding days when I have massages). Also need to keep stretching out my adductors and rolling them, because they go ping a little too often at the moment when I used to be able to pancake.

Also arranged with a qualified friend to get regular sports massages on Saturdays. This is going to be painful.

This has come and gone a bit. I'm getting better at working out what is causing pain (lizard pose and some other hip openers are pretty guilty, A2G squats and occasionally iffy deadlifts).

I've had a few massages and hope to have more. They're definitely making my upper back feel a lot better even if my lower back isn't responding as well as I'd hoped!

SLEEP!

10554262_551248251668718_2035409647_n.jp

I don't sleep enough, so I'm going to try to get 7h30m sleep a night. I'm not going to penalise myself as long as the time between lights out and the alarm is more than 7h30m but the aim is to get that much sleep based on my FitBit readings.

I didn't average 7h30m asleep, but lights out to wake up was consistently around that and last week I actually managed an average of 7h40m. My sleep patterns are definitely disturbed when I'm in pain (who woulda thunk it?) so working on the pain levels and glute issue will help with more sleep.

I'm going to call this a B+

Overall gradings:

Given I usually just make up my gradings anyway, I'll assign points at the end of the challenge based on how I feel. I think I actually did alright in the last challenge but was so disillusioned that I gave myself no points.

Usual +5STR and +5CHA for every Scottish record I can break and +10STR and +10CHA if I either take Best Lifter or break a British Record. (P.S. Tanky, if you're reading, you totally need to start self-awarding for international medals, British Records and Best Lifter trophies.)

Okay... wrap-up.

1. I stuck it out.
  2. I did work on mobility and what works for me. It has become habit to do passive adductor stretches whilst reading before sleep and to give the knots in my glute and QL a massage (at an appropriate level) to ease pain.
  3. My sleep is improving and is still a work in progress. 
  4. I got two Scottish Records. :D

I'm going to give myself an A overall... because I think I deserve it. 

I'm awarding myself as follows:

• +4.5 WIS (Sleep and mobility, realising what wasn't right and working on it)
  • +4.5 CON (Sleep and mobility, doing things that will make me healthier and happier in the long run)
  • +3.5 STA (Sticking it out)
  • +2.5 DEX (Mobility)
  • +10.75 STR (Records and getting rid of a partial point that's getting on my nerves)
  • +10 CHA (Records)
  • Like 1