No registered users viewing this page.

annyshay

Annyshay Breaks the Curse on the Great Deku Tree

Main Quest - Weigh Less than 160 lbs by 3/27/2015

legend_of_zelda___deku_tree_by_minionsla

From - this lovely artist, minionslayer

Dungeon Map = GMB's Elements

120px-DungeonMap.png

Any explorer or potential hero needs to know where she is and where she's going. She needs a plan, or you might say a map. Luckily, this hero stumbled across an excellent plan from Gold Medal Bodies called "Elements".  It focuses on helping explorers develop "physical autonomy", which they describe as a balance of strength, flexibility, and motor control using a familiar symbol given to us by the goddesses. I want to move well, and I'm sick of reps and sets, so this is the map that I'll follow for the next phase of my quest.

Fairy Slingshot = Craving Control Habit

fairyslingshot.png

I really wish that I had a weapon that could help me knock down cravings before they take hold and change my behavior. I'm imagining a ranged weapon that would be small and easy to take wherever I was going - something sneaky and micheivious, like a slingshot!  I've used mindful eating a lot in the past and found the book Eating the Moment very helpful for exercises and experiments to continue developing my skills here. I plan on writing about my experiments here as I practice.

Compass = Level Up My Diet

Compass.jpeg

My weight has not been going in the right direction lately. I've learned that drastic changes do nothing to help in the long term. I already eat fairly clean paleo, except for the occasional victory of my sweet tooth.  Forbidding certain foods works for a little while, as does calorie counting... but restriction just beeeeeegs for a binge. So, in keeping with the above, I want to experiment until I find a reasonable in between. Tracking carbs in MFP for a while and then transitioning into healthier habits with some mental calculation.

Gold Skulltulas = Extras

I will count up the days that I do each of the following for at least 5 minutes.  If I get more than 90% in any of the three, I earn that gold skulltula.

120px-GoldSkulltulaToken.png

1) Meditation and Quiet Time

2) Study

3) Active Recovery (foam roll, nap, stretch, walk, etc)

• Like 10

With your new avatar, challenge theme and my infinite love for all things zelda, i just had to be here!

Also really really like GMB... and you might have just given me a tattoo idea :o

Good luck this challenge!

• Like 1

Whoa! How come someone can come with such an awesome idea of "linking" this stuff with Zelda? *Wishing I could be that creative too*

About eating... just a tip: I've seen many people eating just a little in order not to get fatter. But, actually, you don't need to starve in order to eat less calories! There are many foods (mostly green leaves and some vegetables) that have so few calories that you can eat as much as you want.

Also, if you like gelatin, try eating a diet/light/zero calorie gelatin with natural peanut butter or table cream (Nestle ones have no carbohydrates). It's really good to make you feel full. ;)

• Like 1

Looking good!! Liking the Link theme, looks like you have a great plan to go. Totally in for encouragement, support, and your successes!!

Whoa! How come someone can come with such an awesome idea of "linking" this stuff with Zelda? *Wishing I could be that creative too*

About eating... just a tip: I've seen many people eating just a little in order not to get fatter. But, actually, you don't need to starve in order to eat less calories! There are many foods (mostly green leaves and some vegetables) that have so few calories that you can eat as much as you want.

Also, if you like gelatin, try eating a diet/light/zero calorie gelatin with natural peanut butter or table cream (Nestle ones have no carbohydrates). It's really good to make you feel full. ;)

Zelda!!! :D Re-reading some of Steve's articles got me thinking about what kind of game I want to be playing. Link is my favorite alter ego... Just keep exploring and save the world!

Thanks for the ideas... When I discovered paleo (meat + allllllllllllll the freggies) the overeating wasn't a problem by itself. I seldom feel truly hungry. It's more than I loooooooove sweets, so being very mindful about when I choose to enjoy is key.

• Like 7

With your new avatar, challenge theme and my infinite love for all things zelda, i just had to be here!

Also really really like GMB... and you might have just given me a tattoo idea :o

Good luck this challenge!

Funny you say that... I've been playing around with that idea as well. I've always thought a tattoo would be cool, but... Haven't quite found something I want forever. Will keep pondering, and I'm glad to have your support, as always!
  • Like 1

I hope the eating goes right! It can be a pain to get under "control"

Welcome! It is totally the hardest and most important thing for me. But even realizing that is progress. ;)

When I discovered paleo (meat + allllllllllllll the freggies) the overeating wasn't a problem by itself. I seldom feel truly hungry. It's more than I loooooooove sweets, so being very mindful about when I choose to enjoy is key.

I have the same situation - we also follow Paleo/Banting, and I'm not hungry, just "lus" (craving) something sweet. Hopefully we'll be able to support each other away from the sweet stuff.

• Like 1

I have the same situation - we also follow Paleo/Banting, and I'm not hungry, just "lus" (craving) something sweet. Hopefully we'll be able to support each other away from the sweet stuff.

Glad I'm not crazy, and that I have backup! ;)

• Like 2

Perhaps sugar cravings are Ganondorf's eeeeeeeeeeeeeeevil curse?

Mmm... I think the evil comes in when you can't have just one little piece - that is the curse part!

With Banting, prof. Tim Noakes says to alleviate the sweet craving with enough good fats in your diet, especially coconut that has a natural sweetness to it. When I tried before it did work to some extend... only shark week is a problem. Finding the balance, that is the trick I think.

• Like 2

Mmm... I think the evil comes in when you can't have just one little piece - that is the curse part!

With Banting, prof. Tim Noakes says to alleviate the sweet craving with enough good fats in your diet, especially coconut that has a natural sweetness to it. When I tried before it did work to some extend... only shark week is a problem. Finding the balance, that is the trick I think.

Paleo is big on coconut oil too. I seem to have forgotten some of these basic principles. Think I will re-read It Starts with Food this weekend.

Love ISWF! I also got their newer whole 30 book and love some of the recipes. Good idea, I will poke around in there some more before we go. Truthfully, being mindful and the releasing the cravings is helping me a ton. Also, noooooooom all the fat!
  • Like 2

Lots of interest in Elements, I see.  Let me try to give some of my experiences as I go. 

Elements-of-Physical-Autonomy.jpg

This should link you to GMB's explanation of the program.  Basically, it is their foundational program and focuses on mindful movement and improving three movement patterns: the bear walk, the monkey, and the frogger.  I'm not going to pretend that the fact they used a triforce as their model for physical autonomy didn't push me over the edge of getting it.  ;)

So, it is broken down into 20-40 minute sessions 6 days per week for 7 weeks.  There are videos and text to help you through all the chunks of each day, which basically break down into "warm up" (lots of prehab and unbreakable type stuff, also the majority of the time), "practice" (a few minutes on the basic movements), and stretches (feels soooo tasty). 

The first week was focused on assessment and getting used to the new movements.  On Monday, I did assessments (with video, eeps) of the bear walk, monkey, and frogger.  Tuesday was focused on bear crawl.  Wednesday was just warm ups and stretches (don't worry... a great work out on their own).  Thursday was the monkey.  Friday was another warm up and stretches day.  Saturday was work on the frogger.  It looks like next week is similar and I have more videos to make tomorrow :redface-new: .  It is wonderful to not have to think too much about the programming.  GMB has put together really great days.  The warm ups get my body ready for the practice portion and the stretches really are the cherry on the top at the end.  They talk through lots of modifications, but surprisingly obviously, I haven't needed to use many of them.  I don't have to count sets and reps or do repetitive things over and over, and I walk away sweaty, shaking, and more centered.  Basically, I am really enjoying training this way and my body feels great! 

KBGirl, Elastigirl, and Mad Hatter... it may be too basic for you guys, as you are soooooo used to moving already :nightmare: .  That said, it is a great way to really focus on the foundation and use all GMB's tricks for prepping for future greatness.  I know EG has done the movement multivitamins and floor 1, how did they compare?  Anybody else tried their programs?

• Like 4

Totally subbed. Am considering GMBs focused flexibility program and excited to hear more how you are doing with the elements one.

Why does this challenge seem particularly tasty to me? ;) Have a feeling you will discover yummy new alternatives to the regular sweets. Treat-ing yourself well...

Have a great start!

• Like 1

No experience with GMB yet, but subbing to watch yours. ;)

w00t and welcome back

giphy.gif

Subbed!

EXACTLY!  Also, I love that this is the top of my second page.  :D

Totally subbed. Am considering GMBs focused flexibility program and excited to hear more how you are doing with the elements one.

Why does this challenge seem particularly tasty to me? ;) Have a feeling you will discover yummy new alternatives to the regular sweets. Treat-ing yourself well...

Have a great start!

Today's treats included making deconstructed gyros from Well Fed 2 (mmmmmmmmmmmmm, one of my favorites) and buying a window air conditioner because I am over summer.  ;)  Bring on the yummy self love goodness!

Looking good.  I love the emails from GMB, they keep motivating me to work on flexibility!!!

GMB = FTW

• Like 3