We're Back!

We are the Renaissance Rebels...

We're having a Creative Revolution and you're invited!

Do you have a creative quest among your challenge goals?

Then join this ragtag, eccentric group of nerds and

level up your health and fitness habits and your creativity.

Sure, that's a lot of balls to juggle over the course of six weeks,

but it's a lot easier and more fun when you've got buddies!

RRRLogo.png

Post a reply below to introduce yourself. We're happy to have you!

Renaissance Rebels

BlackTezca

Dantilla

greenjasper

irmintrude greeneyes

Jaex

Jakkals

JMitch

Luciana Valerosa Culming

Neva

NikaNika

RangerDanger

Scrawlcreatelive

ShadowLion

Viscura

WoodNymph

• Like 4

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

I'm ShadowLion and I'm respawning the Renaissance Rebels accountability group.

I have a goal to do something creative each week. How about you?

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Hi!  I'm WoodNymph, and I'm so glad to see this accountability group respawned!  Thanks, ShadowLion! 

I don't have my challenge thread up yet for this challenge, but I know that I'm going to have a creativity goal as well, so I'm jumping in here, and will post what my creativity goal is when I get it all figured out.

I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone else is up to!

• Like 1

Can I join if I don't have a directly creative goal this challenge? I'm hoping that a new, healthier lifestyle without videogames, alcohol and some other personal crutches will give me more time & energy to pursue the creative things I used to like to do... draw, paint, crochet, write. It's just been so long I don't know where to start.

• Like 1

Level 0 Recruit

Challenge 1: Thread | Spreadsheet | Battle Log

Bad Doodler in The Renaissance Rebels.

"They're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us.

They can't get away this time." - Chesty Puller

Long-term goals beyond the scope of this challenge:

Push. Up. (Complete 50 push-ups in one set. Currently: 10.)

20%
20%

Fit into those pants. (Get weight down to 118 from 148lbs. Currently: 136.)

40%
40%

Can I join if I don't have a directly creative goal this challenge? I'm hoping that a new, healthier lifestyle without videogames, alcohol and some other personal crutches will give me more time & energy to pursue the creative things I used to like to do... draw, paint, crochet, write. It's just been so long I don't know where to start.

Maybe your creative goal for this challenge is to find someplace to start?  I started last time with clearing out a creative workspace, and things took off from there.

• Like 2

Welcome, WoodNymph and greenjasper!

Maybe your creative goal for this challenge is to find someplace to start?  I started last time with clearing out a creative workspace, and things took off from there.

I think WoodNymph has the right idea. Join up and figure it out as you go, greenjasper. The support of the group will help keep you motivated and you'll probably get some good ideas from what others are doing. Pick small things to start so it doesn't detract from your main goals, and you should be fine.

I'm not making promises as I am pretty busy, but I will try to get some fun little mini-challenges up at least a couple of times. I'm hoping that some of the RenRebs from past challenges will show up and maybe one of them will help with that, too.

• Like 2

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

That sounds most excellent. I can't wait to see what other people are working on. :)

• Like 2

Level 0 Recruit

"They're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us.

20%
20%

40%
40%

Blood and gore.

Only when things go wrong.

Knife making, I am doing an in-progress thing on my challenge thread. (My signature isn't right yet, and my curfew is too close.)

• Like 3

Level 8 : Wizard Blacksmith 

[ STR 6 | DEX 6 | STA 5 | CON 5 | WIS 10 | CHA 4 ]

Jakkals, 2019 nommer 3

Spoiler

Adapt yourself to the things among which your lot has been cast

and love sincerely the fellow creatures with whom destiny has

ordained that you shall live.

-Marcus Aurelius

Welcome back, Jakkals! (Jakkals has been a Renaissance Rebel from the start.)

I'll get a roster started by the weekend, when I have more time and more threads are up.

• Like 1

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

We're Back!

We are the Renaissance Rebels...

We're having a Creative Revolution and you're invited!

Do you have a creative quest among your challenge goals?

Then join this ragtag, eccentric group of nerds and

level up your health and fitness habits and your creativity.

Sure, that's a lot of balls to juggle over the course of six weeks,

but it's a lot easier and more fun when you've got buddies!

RRRLogo.png

Post a reply below to introduce yourself. We're happy to have you!

I'm Scrawlcreatelive and I write but am also trying other creative arts like drawing, calligraphy, and cosplay. I spent last challenge (recruit) writing a story and almost finished. Hopefully it will be done in the next few days.
  • Like 2

http://scrawlcreatelive.tumblr.com

@scrawlingwriter- Twitter Scrawlingwriter- Instagram Scrawlingwriter. Com

Current Challenge:http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/71377-The-ABCs-of-Hogwarts-School-of-Witchcraft-and-Wizardry

Lvl. 4 Assassin

STR =3.50 DEX =4.75 STA=5.00

CON =2.55 WIS =5.00 CHA=1.50

Welcome, Scrawlcreatelive!

The reason we took the moniker "Renaissance Rebels" is that many of us do more than one creative thing.The idea of being a Renaissance person was a lot more appealing than calling ourselves the Dabblers or the Dilettantes! :)

Jakkals and I write, too, and I expect Rowan will be along sometime soon. And hopefully Spark, our honest-to-goodness published author who's actually sold real books.

• Like 2

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

I'm still trying to get back into drawing, sketching and fotografie. Hopefully I make up the courage to show something.

Edit: corrected some spelling errors.

• Like 2

level 12 Hobbit Monk (respawned September 2016)
STR 4 | DEX 15 | CON 16 | STA 15 | WIS 33 | CHA 24 | Halfling | Newbie | Fencer and Bookworm

Introduction | Character | Daily Battle Log | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 67 | 8 | | 10 | 11 | 12# | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | #### | 17 | Current Challenge

Spoiler

I'm exercising, because I want to get my stamina and strength. I enjoy medieevil swordmanship,  Tai Chi, yoga, aikido and fire spinning. I'm also a roleplaying nerd and a book worm. Let's fight the procrastination dragon!

My creative goal for this challenge is to do something creative twice a week, hopefully just enough to be fun!

I like that idea. I don't want to set the bar too high for myself right now...

• Like 2

Level 0 Recruit

20%
20%

40%
40%

Hiiii~ I have creativity as part of my challenge. I'm a writer and have been working on a number of projects for the past few years. Lately, I've been feeling the need to get something entirely finished, so am aiming for the structure of the challenge to provide fulfillment of that need so at the end I'll be publishing one of my romance novellas. If I can stay focused, I have no doubt I'll be able to succeed. ^_^

• Like 3

Hey guys, really glad I found you (with a little help from ShadowLion)! I tell you, this forum has everything if you look long enough. My creative goal for this challenge is to write one page per day in my book. I have a ton of other ideas crowding around in my head most days, but I really want to focus in and get one done before branching out to other things.

• Like 3

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." -Gandalf

Should we post links to our current challenges, so you can add them in the first post and can tag along each other easier?

• Like 1

level 12 Hobbit Monk (respawned September 2016)
STR 4 | DEX 15 | CON 16 | STA 15 | WIS 33 | CHA 24 | Halfling | Newbie | Fencer and Bookworm

Introduction | Character | Daily Battle Log | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 67 | 8 | | 10 | 11 | 12# | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | #### | 17 | Current Challenge

Spoiler

I'm exercising, because I want to get my stamina and strength. I enjoy medieevil swordmanship,  Tai Chi, yoga, aikido and fire spinning. I'm also a roleplaying nerd and a book worm. Let's fight the procrastination dragon!

Alright, I'm in :)

My creative focus this challenge is to finish the book I've been putting off writing the end for.

I've been putting it off because I'm not sure my characters will survive, and I've gotten kinda attached. Also: epic ending needs to be suitably epic.

I need to stop thinking and just get the words down.

• Like 3

Viscura
[Cybernetic Warrior
]

Current Challenge

LEVEL: 18
STR: 23 | STA: 25 | CON: 22 | INT: 10 | WIL: 19 | DEX: 1

Stuff I do:
Write stories and talk about being trans
Various filmy/webseriesy things

Hi! I don't have a "creativity goal" per se in my challenge, but I always do a storytelling aspect, and I would like to increase the frequency of my story posts. Also, I draw compulsively, but when I promise to draw something specific for specific people, it always seems to take 10x longer than it should (*coughsorrySovelliscough*). I think I just need a little accountability and motivation, so this seems just right. :)

Also, I'm married to an author, and I have some pretty well-honed editing skills. Proofreading, developmental edits, 'why doesn't this scene flow quite right' commentation? I got ya covered. :P Just PM me or something if you feel the need.

• Like 3

So, in joining this Renaissance Rebels group and starting the challenge today, I've been thinking about the real, underlying, unstated goals of my challenge, maybe ones I didn't even admit to myself. My quests seem to be about fitness, productivity, and general health and wellness. Yada yada, all the typical stuff. But what is it that I want to DO with all my (hopefully) newfound productivity? I used to have many creative pursuits, like a lot of people when they're younger. And then the birth of my professional life was basically the death of my creative one. Even though my job *seems* like a creative person's dream -- I'm a graphic designer -- and sure it does require some aesthetic sense to do a good job... design is essentially making collateral intended to brand a company and sell its products. It's not much different than being a marketing manager, a salesperson, a PR person. I like my job, but it rarely if ever, feels creative. I don't end the day feeling blissfully creatively tapped out or anything. I just end the day tired like many people with their jobs. If I'm being really honest with myself, the last time I recognized myself at all was when I still did creative things regularly. And ouch, that was a lot of years ago.

So the last two days, I've spent a little bit of time (~40 minutes a day) sketching. The results suck. Like, throw it in the garbage immediately suck. It's even worse knowing that a decade ago, I could do a realistic rendering of bodies in motion, that I used to do beautiful landscape sketches. I was never fast at drawing like some of my friends, but I could do it. Now it's really easy to punish myself with the knowledge that I let a skill like that slip through my fingers, although it doesn't do me any good to pout and brood like that. But I decided I'm just going to think of drawing like push-ups. With my push-up goal, it doesn't matter whether I suck and fail, fall to the ground. It doesn't matter whether I get sore. I just keep doing them. My body couldn't do anything other fail at what it hasn't been practicing recently. I USED to be good at drawing and I USED to be good at push-ups. But like anything you don't do frequently, your ability wanes.

As long as I can drop to the ground every day and keep punishing myself until my arms and my whole core lights up with pain, I can do the same thing with a sketchbook and pencil. Hopefully less pain though...

Anyway, sorry for the long post, I've just been working through some stuff related to creativity and thought it may be helpful to share.

• Like 4

Level 0 Recruit

20%
20%

40%
40%

So the last two days, I've spent a little bit of time (~40 minutes a day) sketching. The results suck. Like, throw it in the garbage immediately suck. It's even worse knowing that a decade ago, I could do a realistic rendering of bodies in motion, that I used to do beautiful landscape sketches. I was never fast at drawing like some of my friends, but I could do it. Now it's really easy to punish myself with the knowledge that I let a skill like that slip through my fingers, although it doesn't do me any good to pout and brood like that. But I decided I'm just going to think of drawing like push-ups. With my push-up goal, it doesn't matter whether I suck and fail, fall to the ground. It doesn't matter whether I get sore. I just keep doing them. My body couldn't do anything other fail at what it hasn't been practicing recently. I USED to be good at drawing and I USED to be good at push-ups. But like anything you don't do frequently, your ability wanes.

I'm really new at the whole drawing thing.  Like new since starting last winter kind of thing.  I took a drawing class at college (absolutely beginning drawing) and discovered that I can draw!!  The class kept me drawing through the semester, but when summer hit I didn't want to do anything, and so I stopped drawing as well.  A month ago I went back to pick up a pencil, but even though I hadn't been drawing for only a month, my drawing sucked.  The only good thing to be said for it was that I could see it sucked, which I couldn't even see last winter.  However, I kept drawing one day, then the next.  I can see the skills start to return.  (I've taken a week off recently because I've been sick.  I expect it'll be harder when I come back.)  

So yeah, it may have been a while for you, but you can always start again.  Two things you have going for you are:

1. You have the eye to see your drawing sucks.
  2. You have the belief that you can draw (or at least that you used to be able to).

Those are not things that everyone has.  I believe that if you keep drawing, you'll regain your drawing skill and quite possibly surpass it, just like with those muscles you're reactivating with pushups.  

I know you think it's been a while since you did anything creative, but it's always okay to start again.  It's not too late.  Some of us didn't even start doing creative things till later.  

• Like 2

Greetings to all of you have signed up in the last few days: Jaex, JMitch, Luciana Valerosa Culming, NikeNika, RangerDanger, and Viscura!

The new challenge is underway and I hope you are all off to a fantastic start. 

The Renaissance Rebel Mission for Week One

1) Get your challenge underway and report back here on how you are doing and if there is anything you need from your fellow RenRebs.

2) Get out to the RenReb threads, follow, and get to know each other. The roster of all current Renaissance Rebels is posted in the main topic thread.

Now let's get out there and rock our challenges...and get creative!

• Like 2

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

But I decided I'm just going to think of drawing like push-ups. With my push-up goal, it doesn't matter whether I suck and fail, fall to the ground. It doesn't matter whether I get sore. I just keep doing them. My body couldn't do anything other fail at what it hasn't been practicing recently. I USED to be good at drawing and I USED to be good at push-ups. But like anything you don't do frequently, your ability wanes.

This is a really good perspective. Nobody starts out drawing like da Vinci. Nobody starts out able to do 100 pushups in a row, either. I see a lot of beginning artists give up quickly, because their early drawings really suck. It's only through continuous practice that anyone becomes good at something. And I think anyone can become a master of a discipline, if they're willing to put in the time. 

Just like physcial muscles, mental and hand-eye coordination skills need to be exercised, or they'll become weaker. You've lost some of the skil you had because you didn't practice it. BUT, since you had the skill before, that means some of it is still buried in your brain somewhere. It's like how they say, "You never forget how to ride a bike." The first few times you get back on the bike, you're pretty wobbly. But you still have the knowledge of how to balance on the bike in your brain, and it comes back faster. It's never too late to come back to it, ressurect the buried skills, and expand them!

• Like 5