BayouPrincess Signing Up - Need Assist Though

My intro is up in the Rebel Intro forum here but in short. I just started with the beginning bodyweight routine on Monday. And here is my log so you know where I started.

Goal - I want to be able to hike all around the Giant's Causeway in Ireland next year (sometime in the 2nd half of 2016) without falling and busting my ass. I busted it once. I wound up in the ER. Nothing was broken but do you know how hard it is to sit when you have a deep tissue bruise on your ass the size of a dinner plate?!

Destination Link: http://www.discoveringireland.com/vacations/the-giants-causeway/#overview

Average length of a visit is estimated to be 2 hours. That's a lot of time on my feet and moving up/down some serious hills. Other photos showed hills you would climb like stairs as well. My goal is to go next year and not be crippled afterwards so I'm thinking I need to get used to being on my feet for long periods of time, moving up and down hills easily, and moving up and down stairs easily.

I can't seem to come up with SMART goals for the walking up and down hills part or the stairs part. Other than actually walking up and down hills and stairs, are there any other exercises I can do to help strengthen my legs? Are there any exercises in general I should be doing to help with all the moving around?

I walk at least 10 minutes every day though last night, I achieved my first mile. Since this is my very first challenge and I don't yet what I'm capable of achieving in a given period of time, I thought one goal for this challenge would be to comfortably walk 6 miles. That means not be a panting red-faced mess when I finish the walk or be crippled sore the next day.

That's all I came up with though. Yoga maybe for mobility? That's actually something I want to do so that could be one of those side quests - to sign up for a yoga class.

EDIT: Adding in challenge

EDIT #2: Details!

EDIT #3: Removing workout. Had the wrong one written down but the goal is the same, do it 3 times a week.

EDIT #4: Changed up the days I'm doing stuff in order to accommodate possible yoga days

Main Quest:

Be in good shape for trip to Ireland next year (see above)

• Quest 1: Bodyweight Brigade workout 3x a week (Mon/Wed/Fri)
    The goal here is to just do the workout 3x a week. If I do more reps, bonus!
  • Quest 2: Walk 3x a week (Tue/Thu/Sat)
    Starting at 20 minutes (roughly a mile for me) and increasing by 5 minutes every week, which should put me at walking for 45 minutes in Week 6 (roughly 2 miles).
  • Quest 3: Drink 3L of water every day
    I have been terrible at this. The idea is that by making it a reportable goal, I will actually buckle down and pay attention to the amount of water I'm drinking.

Life Quest:

• Like 2

BayouPrincess / About / Battle Log / Challenges: #1, #2, #3

I guess the Scouts and Rangers walk and hike a lot, perhaps you can ask there for advice.

Good luck with your challenge. I always wanted to visit Ireland one day, because of the landscape.

level 12 Hobbit Monk (respawned September 2016)
STR 4 | DEX 15 | CON 16 | STA 15 | WIS 33 | CHA 24 | Halfling | Newbie | Fencer and Bookworm

Introduction | Character | Daily Battle Log | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 67 | 8 | | 10 | 11 | 12# | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | #### | 17 | Current Challenge

Spoiler

I'm exercising, because I want to get my stamina and strength. I enjoy medieevil swordmanship,  Tai Chi, yoga, aikido and fire spinning. I'm also a roleplaying nerd and a book worm. Let's fight the procrastination dragon!

Yoga is a great way, low impact way to build balance and even some strength. It would definitely complement your walking regimine nicely.

Don't be surprised if once you start walking regularly you're able to increase by much more than 5 minutes a week. Oh, and when you're ready and want to prep for the Giant's Causeway (which is beautiful by the way) find a hill or some stairs in your neighborhood to practice. In my experience, flat terrain isn't quite enough to prepare you for hills.

Good luck and enjoy walking!

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

cepopaladin

LVL 1 | STR 2 | DEX 3 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 2 | CHA 0

Battle Log: cepopaladin's journey to badassery

Challenge: cepopaladin heeds the call of badassery progress

Main Quest: Vanquish GMB Elements: Week: 4 Day: 2

71.5%
71.5%

Side Quest: Defeat a 10k Run + Intervals: 2 / 12 sessions

16.2%
16.2%

Side Quest: Defeat a Single Pull-Up: Assisted (w/ chair)

25%
25%

Hey there - I'm also looking to get fit for an upcoming holiday in my challenge!

As far as yoga goes if you haven't done it before there are a lot of online resources you can try and see if it might be something you enjoy before signing up for classes - I like this instructor but there are plenty out threre. https://m.youtube.com/user/yogawithadriene/videos

I'm doing her 30 days of yoga series as part of my challenge.

As far as getting fit for travel, is there a popular hill walk or similar you can hike up near your place? You could include that as one of your quests maybe? Doing that every week? Seeing how much further you get and how much less puffed you get climbing up each week would probably be a great confidence booster for your trip, I reckon.

Good luck!

I will lose 28 kilos (from 94 kg to 66 kg)

10%
10%

Even though I've lived in MD for nearly 20 years, I am not very familiar with anything, which is just.. yeah let's not go there! But your idea for walking/hiking near me is an idea I had for a quest. I know there are trails near me - I've seen the signs over the years. My plan is to hit up a few this weekend and just see what's up. If I find one I'm comfortable with, I was thinking of putting it in as a side quest, like you said, once a week and see how it goes.

You've got a good plan there.  The Body Weight Brigade should help you strengthen leg muscles - just remember to work squats and lunges in. 

You might notice that someone has added a tag to your post.  This is not to box you into a corner but rather because your goals or lifestyle have links to the guild you've been tagged and we'd like to bring you to the attention of one of their guild ambassadors. These ambassadors will be able to offer you advice, encouragement and support on your goals.  You don't even have to wait around for them to come introduce themselves to you, you are more than welcome to pop into the Scouts' board and introduce yourself to the guildies there. I am also around to answer any questions that you might have so do not hesitate to PM me.

Good Luck with your challenge

AB xx

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

Great goals!  Those box squats and split squats will help you charge up those hills!

If you find that you enjoy your Bodyweight Brigade you may want to take a look at the Assassin Guild.  Here is a little info about us:

The Assassin Guild Info & Announcements

The Assassins' Den guild chat thread

The Level 1 Assassin Initiates Q&A/Chat thread

Come by and say hello.  And, don't be afraid to ask questions :)

Level 23 Assassin

Current Challenge

"Nothing is true; everything is permitted"

Actually I do know what it is like sitting and walking with a deep tissue bruise on my butt.  LOL  Glad I am not alone.  Fell down stairs and landed hard on my butt and then hit a couple more steps for good measure.  Ouch.

Your challenge and planned adventure sound fantastic!  Definitely stop by the Scouts Tavern and say hi there as well.  So many great guilds to look at and people willing to share info.  I used BWB as some of my strength work and it is solid.  

Food Fight - current challenge

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

2015 - 22.5 bugs consumed

Chasing down the most awesome version of myself one step at a time.

The Character Battle Log 1 Daily Mile

Converting post to track all the Mini Quests

Mini Quest #1

1. Is your overall quest achievable (over a short or long period of time)? Is it reasonable?
    Yes it is achievable over a long period of time and, to me anyway, very reasonable.
  2. Do your 3 quests all build towards your main quest in little ways, or are you taking on too much? Do your quests have sub-quests or is it just one thing to focus on?
    Yes, all three of my quests build towards my main quest in little ways and nope, no sub-quests. I've never done any thing like this before so I have no idea what I am capable of and didn't want to go biting off more than I can chew. I figure I should have a good handle on what type of progress I can make by the end of these 6 weeks and lose my itty bitty mind on the next challenge. [:)]
  3. Are your main goals realistic? Can you scale them to smaller steps to fit your life better, even if it will make it take a little longer to achieve them?
    Yes, my main goals are realistic because I went as basic as I could since I'm new to this.
  4. Are your goals able to be measured and tracked? What will you use to track them?
    Yes to both. I'm just using Notes on my iPad since I can access that from anywhere I have Internet connectivity.
  5. How are you grading your goals? Are they pass/fail (“every dayâ€, “not even once over the six weeksâ€)? Is there a reward for the effort, or are you only grading yourself on whether or not you “lose the weight†or “run the distanceâ€?
    I'm grading on the pass/fail. I will either do it or I won't. There is no try!
  6. What is your plan for continuing/altering/grading those goals if you become ill or injured?
    I had not considered this but depending on the circumstances, I will probably alter the goals to fit the new situation. Worst case, call it a wash and just focus on getting better and then do it again (not the ill/injured part, the challenge part)!
  7. Did you take into consideration any special occasions (Labour Day, Independence Day, birthdays, anniversaries, etc) that may occur during the challenge? What modifications do you need to build into your goals for those?
    Actually, no, I didn't. My Mom is coming up for an extended stay starting next Monday until 3 Sept. We both head home (I'm originally from Louisiana - Go Saints!!) that day (her to stay, me to visit) and I'll be there until 8 Sept. But, other than adding workout clothes to my suitcase, I don't see any of that getting in the way of my challenge.
  8. Do any of your main goals conflict with each other? Will one goal make it hard to do another?
    Nope
  9. Do you already have the time in your schedule to actually complete the goals you’ve set? If not, what are you planning to do to make time for them?
    Yes I do. I scheduled everything before I signed up because the I had an Academy Quest that told me to or I wouldn't get to click the button and I wanted to click the button.. mmm click buttons.. Why yes.. I'm THAT person. That big red button? Yeah I clicked that.
  10. Are you trying to build multiple habits, or is all your energy focused on your main quest?
    Hm. Good question. I'm not intentionally trying to build multiple habits but I can already see it happening. To make sure I don't fall out while working out, I'm eating better, which means cooking a bit more than I used to before instead of eating fast food multiple times a week. In order to do that, I make sure all the dishes are clean and at least drying in the dish rack before bed.

Mini Quest #2

Part 1, Signature in place
Part 3, Following/talking to a few folks... greenjasper. saleh, and f2point8

Mini Quest #3

So your challenge for this week has 3 parts:

1. Pinpoint the quest in your journey that is giving you the most uphill (or one that you're struggling to achieve)
2. Search through NF (forums or articles) to find one that is able to offer some assistance
3. Apply it to your challenge (no collecting underpants here).

I'm not really struggling with any of the quests in my challenge but I have abused the NF search engine quite a bit looking for all sorts of things like recipes (egg monster!), information on various exercises to turn my noodle arms into something less noodley (found the pull-up article), and information about walking/hiking (learned some things about shoes and which part of the foot to land on).

I've already incorporated some things into one of my workouts because I just can't do the close-grip pushups or any variation thereof. Since that's the workout with the one arm dumbbell rows with 10lb weights, I put in wall pushups in place of the close-grips. I thought about inclines but I'm concerned about my right shoulder. I've had problems with it for years but that yoga class really tweaked it. yes, i know i should go see a doctor but mmmrrpppprrpfffttt

Based on the stuff I learned about the shoes, I saved up and got a new pair of shoes, which really helped. I also started paying attention to what part of my foot is connecting to the ground, which is still weird but I imagine I'll get used to it because I have a, I guess a hard stride? I land hard on my heels when I walk is what I mean and I imagine that can't be good for my heels or other parts of me.

Mini Quest #4

So your quest these week will be as follows:

1. Allocate 10 points to your quests
    1. Q1: Bodyweight Brigade workout 3x a week = 3 STR
    2. Q2: Walk 3x a week = 3 STA
    3. Q3: Drink 3L of water every day = 3 CON
    4. LQ: Sign up for a yoga class and then actually go = 1 CHA
  2. Do a mid challenge summary and rate yourself on a percentage scale
    1. Q1: Bodyweight Brigade workout 3x a week = A (100%)
    2. Q2: Walk 3x a week = A- (95%)
    3. Q3: Drink 3L of water every day = A (100%)
    4. LQ: Sign up for a yoga class and then actually go = A (100%)
  3. Using your rating, allocate points to your challenge so far. You can round up/down if you don't like fractions (like i do).
    1. Q1: A (100%) = 3 STR
    2. Q2: A- (95%) = 3 STA
    3. Q3: A (100%) = 3 CON
    4. LQ: A (100%) = 1 CHA
  4. Update your signature with your points
  5. Let us know how you've allocated
    3 STR | 3 STA | 3 CON | 1 CHA
    I have zero idea if the point allocation is "right". I spent the first few weeks figuring out what works for me and what doesn't, which led to modifications to the workout. Not putting 100% on the walking 3 times a week is more a mental thing. While I didn't actively go on a planned walk sometimes, I did walk but I have this problem where if I didn't plan it then it doesn't count going on in my head. I actively struggled the first week with the water. I drank the 3L but it was a definite struggle. The 2nd week was better and now I'm so used to it that I'm starting to leave water bottles, or glasses of water, all over the house because I put things down, forget where they are, and go get another one.

Mini Quest #5

So this week I don't have any forum related mini's for you to do, so I thought you might give you something exercise related, because these are the kinds of challenges you'll be doing with your guilds from next challenge onwards.  So your mini quest this week is to choose on of the below exercises. You're welcome to choose any and as many of them you'd like to do, but only 1 of the exercises counts for points. 

• 5 minute yoga (+1 DEX),
  • 10 burpees (+1 STA),
  • 10 lunges per leg (+1 STR),
  • 20 BBW Squats (+1 STR),
  • 1 mile walk/run (+1 STA), OR
  • 30s plank (+1 DEX)

If you complete one of these you get the points. You've got the whole week to complete this mini challenge (i.e. until I post the next mini challenge).

- Completed 35s plank for +1 Dex

• Like 1

Realized this morning I am not doing the bodyweight brigade workout like I thought, but it's similar. But that's okay! I just downloaded the spreadsheet and will adjust my workout, which starts today, accordingly.

As for yesterday... walked 1.33 miles. According to the RunKeeper app (love that app), it's the furthest I've walked to date and I did it in roughly 24 minutes. It's also the fastest I've gone, though I'm not aiming for speed.

Great job!  Keep up the good work, I'll be following your challenge thread to watch your progress.  You'll probably find (I know I did back when I ran regularly) that the speed comes with distance.  I could never really improve my 5k time by running a bunch of 5ks, my 5k time improved by increasing my maximum distance up to a 10k.

"Take arrows in your forehead, but never in your back" - Samurai Maxim

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4

Battle Log

Hinge HabitsBe Like WaterFailure Should Be WelcomedArchitect Your EnvironmentSet Goals For Processes Not Desires, Minimum Effective Dose 101 

Today's Report!

I have to remember to go back to my original post and fix the workout section..

• 10 Incline Push-ups
    10, 10, 7
    This went way better than I expected because I was only doing 6 as of Sunday. I do have to admit, the last three on the first two rounds were hard but I just went slowly and kept my form. My body gave me the big 'ol finger on the last round though but still, yay!
  • 15 Box Squats
    15, 15, 15
    Also went better than expected. I think it's because my form got better. They weren't easy towards the end of each round but again, I just did those a little slower.
  • 15s plank all three rounds (with obligatory cussing)
  • 30 Jumping Jacks
    20, 20, 30
    I really didn't want to do 30 but it was the last round so I made myself do them.

Then I went on a walk and my feet are feeling it a little bit but overall, I did good. I went a tiny bit further than before - 1.39 miles - mostly because I wanted to see where a second path went I saw. It just curved around the other side of the currently closed playground (someone set it on fire! who does that!) but I got to practice going down a hill and go me, no face or ass planting!

• Like 2

Today was walk day and I did for all of 5 minutes before someone flushed all the toilets and turned on all the faucets. There may have been some cats and dogs in there too. I was soaked in about 2 seconds so I turned around and proceeded to speed walk and then burst into a jog in a sad attempt to get home faster. That would be the first time I have jogged in uh.. yes.. that long.. I know I was going too fast but my brain said yes! you can do this! Look! There's the house! Run! We're melting! Then the body said screw you, you demented female! We're not melting, we're dying! I think I lasted a good minute, maybe two before I had to stop. But hey, I jogged!

And won't be doing it again until certain parts of my anatomy get with the program and firm up a bit. The bouncing that was going on back there was not pleasant!

Drank my 3L of water. Well almost. I'm about to go fill up the bottle for the final 500ml but I'll drink that easy before bedtime.

Annnd, I signed up for a beginner's yoga class. I almost didn't. There was a little anxiety and I hovered over that sign-up button for a good 10 minutes but really, this Sunday is perfect timing for this class what with my Mom's visit here starting Monday and then mine back home starting during the last week of the challenge. And I have to go because I paid for it.

Oh hey, how do I handle Sunday's bodyweight workout since I'll be doing the yoga that morning? Can I do both in the same day or should I skip the bodyweight?

• Like 2

Today was walk day and I did for all of 5 minutes before someone flushed all the toilets and turned on all the faucets. There may have been some cats and dogs in there too. I was soaked in about 2 seconds so I turned around and proceeded to speed walk and then burst into a jog in a sad attempt to get home faster. That would be the first time I have jogged in uh.. yes.. that long.. I know I was going too fast but my brain said yes! you can do this! Look! There's the house! Run! We're melting! Then the body said screw you, you demented female! We're not melting, we're dying! I think I lasted a good minute, maybe two before I had to stop. But hey, I jogged!

And won't be doing it again until certain parts of my anatomy get with the program and firm up a bit. The bouncing that was going on back there was not pleasant!

Drank my 3L of water. Well almost. I'm about to go fill up the bottle for the final 500ml but I'll drink that easy before bedtime.

Annnd, I signed up for a beginner's yoga class. I almost didn't. There was a little anxiety and I hovered over that sign-up button for a good 10 minutes but really, this Sunday is perfect timing for this class what with my Mom's visit here starting Monday and then mine back home starting during the last week of the challenge. And I have to go because I paid for it.

Oh hey, how do I handle Sunday's bodyweight workout since I'll be doing the yoga that morning? Can I do both in the same day or should I skip the bodyweight?

Good for you on signing up for the yoga!  I'm sure you will like it.  As far as the yoga vs body weight question, I would do the yoga then see how you feel.  If they yoga class is the type that offers a lot of strength work then you may want to count it in place of the body weight workout.  On the other hand, if the yoga is more about flexibility and slow stretching then I'd say go for the body weight workout.

• Like 2

Level 23 Assassin

Current Challenge

"Nothing is true; everything is permitted"

Did most of my BW workout today, as scheduled. I was not able to do the close grip pushup so I tried the tricep one on my knees. Uh nope - that didn't happen either. I also tried one of those inverted rows with my kitchen table and all I could do was giggle and lay there because that wasn't happening.

So I just did more one arm dumbbell rows with my little 5lb weight. Went from 10 to 20. What else can I do to get my arms into shape? Keep in mind I am in my home without a pull-up bar. I don't think I can hang one of those due to all the fancy moulding around all the doors. I haven't gotten around to measuring them yet to find out.

Crushed my walk! 1.55 miles in 27:44 minutes!

• Like 1

Did you try to modify the inverted row by bending your knees so you can put your feet on the floor to help support you so you can pull up?  If nothing else just keep trying.  I have done the same more than once.  Lay there and giggle as I try.  I used to pull up as much as I could and call it a day.  Is there anything in your house heavier than 5 lbs you could use for your rows?  I used a 10 lb bag of potatoes once until I could obtain a heavier weight.  

We can not hang a pull up bar in our place.  I am hoping we build one soon otherwise I have to try them in public at a play ground.  I do admit I prefer laughing under my kitchen table with the dog sniffing my face.  ;)

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

Oh I didn't think about bending my knees. I'll give that a try and nope, nothing heavy in the house. Nothing I could lift without two hands anyway but I don't mind getting a 10 lb weight. I almost bought one yesterday when I got my yoga mat.

Yeah, I'd would much rather lay giggling under the table than try this stuff out in public. I'm still getting a little bit of anxiety on my walks and I'll probably explode at the yoga class but I'm gonna do it cause this version of me, not a fan!

• Like 1

Today was just a walk day so I was up and out the door by 6:40AM! Didn't go as far as the other day but this was more of an exploratory walk to see if I could walk around the outside of the nearby school and see where it connected to the park. And it does. Just have to stay off the school property during school hours which will be easy. So now I just have to explore more and see what I can add to the new route to make it longer.

Yes I could walk the route more than once but omg, boring!

• Like 1

Great first week! Out the door and walking by 6:40 is super impressive!

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 11   Charisma 14   Strength 18  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

For me exploring is part of the fun and finding routes to travel based on weather, time of day, time of year, and my mood..well it is nice to have that variety.  I look forward to changes in the year since it prompts route changes be it running or biking or walking.