MaybeAFirst: Trying Again

MaybeAFirst

Well my last challenge went horribly, especially toward the end. I've lost half a pound in weight, if that and my committment to exercise has been flaky at best, although I am running 5k two to three times a week now at least. So I'm going to try again next challenge and see if I can do as well as on my first one.

Starting Stats

Weight: 147lbs

Height: 5' 2"

What:

I would like to lose weight as well as become fitter. I'd eventually like to lose about 25-35lbs. However my first mini goal is 6lbs away to put me under 140lbs. Decided to forget about adding in strength training this challenge and getting my running habit solidified. After this challenge I will have access to my university gym so will start that in September.

Why:

• Be in the normal category instead of overweight, better for my long term health
  • Be more attractive - this is a factor in getting hired in corporate/ financial sector jobs, so being a normal weight should improve my employability after uni
  • Look great in wedding photos a couple of years from now
  • Be fitter for when I restart horse riding next year - cardio fitness was always an aspect which I felt I could improve when I rode before

Goals:

An A will get me 100% of attribute points, B = 80%, C = 60%. A+ means a special reward.

Goal 1: Running

Run 4 times a week. Three regular runs and one longer one.

Grade:

A+: 22+

A: 20+

B: 17+

C: 15+

A+ reward is a nice piece of running gear, either a top or some leggins or something.

Attributes: +2 DEX +3 STA

Goal 2: Diet

Eat 1600kcals or less a day.

A+: 38+

A: 34+

B: 30+

C: 26+

A+ reward is the Mass Effect trilogy. I've always wanted to play it but never got round to it.

Attributes: +1 WIS +2 CON +1 CHA

Goal 3: Water

Drink 6 glasses of water a day.

A+: 41+

A: 39+

B: 37+

C: 35+

A+ reward I'm not sure on yet. Maybe one of those easy to hold water bottles for when I'm running.

Attributes: +2 CON +1 CHA

Goal 4: Giving up biscuits, crisps and chocolate

These are the main derailments to my diet. If I eat a bit I will eat way too much, so I'm just not eating them. Cake, pies and crumble are fine and I can eat those in moderation, just not chocolate and biscuits. Giving up chocolate will also mean no chocolate containing foods. Hot chocolate is still fine though as I have 40kcal cocoa powder saches and I don't exactly binge on hot chocolate. :tongue:

A+: 40+

A: 38+

B: 36+

C: 34+

A+ reward will be something nice from Body Shop for me, or something similar.

Attributes: +1 WIS +2 CON

• Like 1

Challenge 3 | Challenge 2 | Challenge 1

L3 Elf: | 0 STR | 1.6 DEX | 7.4 STA | 6.8 WIS | 8.6 CON | 3.8 CHA |

Overall Weight Loss Goal:

33.3%
33.3%

SW: 153lb CW: 142lb  GW: 120lb

Week 1

Start Weight: 147lbs

End Weight: 144.6lbs

Down 2.4 lbs!

Goal 1 Running: 4/4

Goal 2 Diet: 7/7

Goal 3 Water: 7/7

Goal 4 Crisps, biscuits, chocolate: 7/7

Monday

Goal 1: Running - Completed 5km in 34:22.

Goal 2: Diet - Ate at about 1600 kcals - don't have an exact number as my mum does the cooking, but should be within my limit through my guesstimates.

Goal 3: Water - Done

Goal 4: Giving up chocolate, biscuits and crisps - Kept away from sugary temptations!

Tuesday

Goal 1: Running - Completed 5km in 36:16.

Goal 2: Diet - Somewhere between 1500-1600kcals :)

Goal 4: Giving up chocolate, biscuits and crisps - Avoided all 3.

Wednesday

Goal 2: Diet - Ate at 1600kcals today. Gave away one of my three pieces of garlic bread to my brother at dinner time in order to fit my calories so I'm pretty proud of actively saying no to something that was originally on my plate.

Goal 4: Giving up chocolate, biscuits and crisps - Avoided them again!

Thursday

Goal 1: Running - Nice 6.5km run this afternoon.

Goal 2: Diet - Hit my calorie goal - already down 1.5lbs and while some of that is water weight it's still great to see some results!

Goal 4: Giving up chocolate, biscuits and crisps - Done

Friday

Goal 2: Diet - Ate within my calories today. Was feeling a bit hungry in the afternoon so went for a 6km walk to take my mind off it and made it through.

Saturday

Goal 1: Running - Ran Parkrun in 33:25, beating my last time by 5s. Super pleased as it was a much harder course than the one when I am away at uni - my Garmin recorded 140ft of elevation, with the course starting at the bottom of a hill. Planning to do a much flatter one at the end of August to try and get under 30 mins.

Goal 2: Diet - Pretty sure I ate around 1600. Impossible to know for sure, but I left 100kcals for a buffet party after dinner last night and just ate some salad, fruit and drank diet coke, so I'll say I succeeded. :)

Goal 4: Giving up chocolate, biscuits and crisps - Done. It actually made eating not too much at the party a lot easier as half the table was crisps, and it made me feel like I was missing out less by not even having them as an option.

Sunday

Goal 2: Diet - Kept my calories during the day low enough that I could enjoy some apple crumble that my mum made in the evening. Was really hungry waiting until dinner on only 600kcals, but it was worth it!

33.3%
33.3%

Nice goals! They're actually pretty similar to mine. I'm also trying to lose 30ish lbs, run more, and cut back on sugary things. Good luck this challenge! :victorious:

Ranger | LEVEL 5 | Human

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Whether you think you can or you can't, you're right." - Henry Ford

CHALLENGES

Current Challenge

Scratch that last post! I just realized that you posted each day's progress in that single post.

Awesome job btw! Beating your running time, staying away from chocolate and biscuits, and meeting your water and calorie goals! PERFECT First Week!

Keep up the good work :)

• Like 1

Ranger | LEVEL 5 | Human

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CHALLENGES

Current Challenge

Week 2

Start Weight: 144.6lbs

End Weight:

Goal 1 Running:

Goal 2 Diet:

Goal 3 Water:

Goal 4 Crisps, biscuits, chocolate:

Monday

Goal 1: Running - .Done. Had a horribly slow run today, still pretty fatigued from the Parkrun on Saturday with those pesky hills doing a number on my legs!

Goal 2: Diet - Done, felt like I had plenty of food available to me today, looks like I'm getting used to eating less. Also because I've been eating less chocolate and other rubbish I've been eating a lot more fruit which is way more filling!

Tuesday

Goal 2: Diet - Done. Ate at a pub for lunch (local, so no calories on the menu) and had to guesstimate the calories, but my weight is still dropping so I'm guessing I was pretty close.

Wednesday

Goal 2: Diet -  Done

Thursday

Goal 1: Running - Had a great 7km run today, the first 2.5-3km even felt pretty easy which is an achievement for me. :)

Goal 2: Diet - Had some extra garlic bread at dinner that I hadn't tried before, which set me about 200 calories over my limit today. Pleased though that despite going over I didn't then just eat all the foods because the day was "ruined" as I have done before. Nope, tried a new food and ate it guilt free, still in a deficit, even if it was smaller than planned.

Friday

Goal 1: Running - Done

Goal 2: Diet - Done

Goal 4: Giving up chocolate, biscuits and crisps - Done

Saturday

Goal 2: Diet - Done

Goal 3: Water - Done

Goal 4: Giving up chocolate, biscuits and crisps - Done

Sunday

Goal 1: Running - Nowhere to run where I'm staying, going to have to break for the next week and pick up again week 4

Goal 2: Diet - Went waaay over. Going to switch up my goal for next week and make it 2000 when I'm on this holiday. I'm probably going to end up putting on a bit of weight this next week coming, but I will just do my best once I get home on SAturday.

Goal 4: Giving up chocolate, biscuits and crisps - Caved and had some chocolate. :-/

33.3%
33.3%

Looks like you had a pretty good week again! Yaaah, you didn't follow your diet goals on Sunday, but overall you did a pretty solid job! Also, nice job not letting that piece of garlic bread totally derail your day. That's definitely a bad habit of mine that I still need to work through.

Keep up the good work and remember that it's all about making new habits that will last. Cheats are OK every now and again as long as ultimately, you're still moving forward. :)

Ranger | LEVEL 5 | Human

CHALLENGES

Current Challenge

Wow what a terrible week. I went on holiday and got back this weekend. Now I'm back to where I started in terms of weight, but at least it should be partially water weight and come off again quickly. Time to start the second half of the challenge and put the last week behind me. We only have a summer holiday one week a year so I won't let it derail me completely.

Goal 1 Running: 8/12

Goal 2 Diet: 14/21

Goal 3 Water: 21/21

Goal 4 Crisps, biscuits, chocolate: 14/21

33.3%
33.3%

Week 4

Start Weight: 147.8lbs

End Weight: 145.4lbs

Goal 1 Running: 4/4

Goal 2 Diet: 6/7

Goal 3 Water: 7/7

Goal 4 Crisps, biscuits, chocolate: 6/7

Overall:

Goal 1 Running: 12/16

Goal 2 Diet: 20/28

Goal 3 Water: 28/28

Goal 4 Crisps, biscuits, chocolate: 20/28

Monday

Goal 1: Running - .Done, first 5k run since my holiday and was a little rough but I got through it!

Goal 2: Diet - Back on track now!

Tuesday

Goal 2: Diet - Some of the holiday weight has started coming off already at least! Still on track this week.

Wednesday

Goal 1: Running - Done

Goal 4: Giving up chocolate, biscuits and crisps -  Done

Thursday

Goal 1: Running - Fastest mile time within a 5k, ran a mile split in just under 10 minutes so pretty happy with that!

Goal 2: Diet - Ate at probably calories today as we went out to celebrate my brother's GSCE results (all As and A*s, super proud of him!) so we went to a pub. I did make sure to substitute the chips for a salad though to make sure I was only a bit over.

Friday

Goal 2: Diet - Done. Went to a workshop today so had to find something to eat in London at lunchtime. Just got a sandwich, some nuts and a diet coke to keep within my goal.

Saturday

Goal 2: Diet - Done

Goal 4: Giving up chocolate, biscuits and crisps - Went out to the pub with a friend and we shared a chocolate cake dessert so didn't meet this one today.

Sunday

33.3%
33.3%

Week 4's off to a good start! If you keep going strong I'm sure you'll quickly drop that holiday water weight from week 3. Keep up those good new habits and remember that change is a process with ups and downs. :) Downs happen and that's ok as long as you go back up and keep moving forward. You can do this! :)

Ranger | LEVEL 5 | Human

CHALLENGES

Current Challenge

Week 5

Start Weight: 145.4lbs

End Weight: 144.8

Goal 1 Running:

Goal 2 Diet:

Goal 3 Water:

Goal 4 Crisps, biscuits, chocolate:

Overall:

Goal 1 Running: 16/20

Goal 2 Diet: 25/35

Goal 3 Water: 35/35

Goal 4 Crisps, biscuits, chocolate: 26/35

Monday

Goal 2: Diet - Went a bit over today. :(

Tuesday

Goal 1: Running - Ran 5.5km and hit a new 5k PR within my run of 31:30, 50 seconds off my previous best, whoo!

Goal 2: Diet - All good today! :)

Wednesday

Goal 1: Running - Done, took it slower than yesterday as a recovery to my PR yeaterday. :)

Goal 4: Giving up chocolate, biscuits and crisps -  Done

Thursday

Goal 2: Diet - Within may calories and I went for a walk this afternoon as it's an off day from running today, just to try and burn off a bit more than just sitting around the house!

Friday

Goal 2: Diet - Done. We were supposed to go out for lunch today then it got cancelled and I didn't get to eat lunch til late so I was super hungry, but still kept to my calories.

Saturday

Goal 2: Diet - Went to a party and had a bit too much cake so not so good today.

Goal 4: Giving up chocolate, biscuits and crisps - Ate some chocolate at the party so not quite on this one.

Sunday

33.3%
33.3%

Week 6

Start Weight: 144.8lbs

End Weight:

Goal 1 Running: 2/4

Goal 2 Diet: 5/7

Goal 3 Water: 6/7

Goal 4 Crisps, biscuits, chocolate: 5/7

Overall:

Goal 1 Running: 18/24

Goal 2 Diet: 30/42

Goal 3 Water: 41/42

Goal 4 Crisps, biscuits, chocolate: 31/42

Monday

Goal 2: Diet -

Goal 3: Water -

Goal 4: Giving up chocolate, biscuits and crisps -

Tuesday

Goal 1: Running - 

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

Saturday

Sunday

33.3%
33.3%

Haven't got my final weigh in yet but I think overall I have lost a pound or two over this challenge, which I'm pleased with as it was summer holidays and usually I put on weight over this part of summer. I've just moved back into my own house this weekend so now I have the groundwork of good habits and exercise I am definitely aiming to lose more next challenge!

Goal 1: Running

I ran 18 times this challenge, an average of 3 a week, scoring a B. I didn't run a couple of days this week due to feeling a bit drained from moving and on our week long holiday week, but apart from that it was pretty good. Scoring a B gets me 80% out of +2 DEX +3 STA, for a total of 1.6 DEX and 2.4 STA.

Goal 2 Diet

Scored 30 on this so just scraped a B. Would've liked to lose a little more weight but not bad considering I went on holiday and managed to completely undo the first few weeks of work. I get 80% of +1 WIS +2 CON +1 CHA, so 0.8 WIS 1.6 CON and 0.8 CHA

Goal 3: Water

Achieved an A+ on this one whoot! I need to think of a nice reward that doesn't really cost anything as I can barely afford to buy food within my weekly budget but I'm going to save this an an IOU to myself.  +2 CON +1 CHA

Goal 4: Giving up biscuits, crisps and chocolate

Failed this by 3 points, but I'm still pleased with how I managed to keep away from these foods for the majority of my time at home. This was more about getting out of the habit of eating them most days and on that ground I feel like I've succeeded somewhat.

Summary

Start weight: 147lbs

End weight: 145.8lbs

Positive habits gained:

• Frequently running, about 13 miles a week
  • Eating less addictive junk
  • Eating smaller portions
  • Drinking more water

Total stats gained: 1.6 DEX 2.4 STA 0.8 WIS 3.6 CON 1.8 CHA

• Like 1

33.3%
33.3%

Great job this challenge! A's and B's are super solid and you definitely deserve a reward for the A+ on your water goal!

Also I love that you are looking at everything so positively! Being able to focus on the positive side of things is really important when developing new habits and aiming for continued weight loss. :)

Ranger | LEVEL 5 | Human

CHALLENGES

Current Challenge