• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

The Mad Hatter: I'm investigating things that begin with the letter M. 

1) Master's Muscles (+2 STR)

For those of you new to this madness, I am doing the You Are Your Own Gym program and loving it.  Last challenge I finished up the 1st class program and started the Master's class program.  I am currently on week 4 so 5-10 will take me through most of this challenge.  

2) Mudder Marching (+3 DEX, +2 STA)

At the end of September I have a Tough Mudder that I will be running with some co-workers.  It will be the longest obstacle course that I have attempted.  In fact, it will be tied for the longest race I have ever run.  The goal this year will just to be make it though alive.  To do that, I am going to need to step up my running game.  Last 3 challenges have all had this as a part but it is really getting down to crunch time now.  

3) Midsection Miseries (+3 CON, +3 CHA)

For a while I have been struggling with digestive health.  Mostly it is just bloating and gas but there is sometimes back pain associated with it and other symptoms.  So this challenge I am going to focus on eliminating everything that could be a cause.  So you can call it a Paleo diet if you want but the focus will be eating fruits, veggies, and meat only.  Since nuts is one of the items on my questionable foods list, I won't be adding those in.  I know this is going to be a struggle for me but I really am sick of these gut issues.  

4) Mindful Meditation (+2 WIS)

This will be 2 part.  One is to continue tracking what I am eating so that A) I can track calories, but B) that I can try to pinpoint what might be causing my gut issues.  The second part will be to finish reading How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie.  It has been on my want to read list for a long time so I got a copy and have read the first few chapters.  Nothing earth shattering yet but there are a few more pages to go.  

Yes feel free to question me about running!  I did go for a 2ish mile one this weekend.  We were camping with the youth kids I volunteer with and some of us decided to go on a 2 mile run to the beach instead of driving there like everyone else did.  It definitely made the water feel nicer!  I did get a bit sun burnt so hopefully that heals quickly. 

Been a busy week around here.  Finally got around to doing more workouts yesterday.  I wasn't feeling so well the first few days of the week.  So I did the YAYOG workout which was push movements last night.  36 dips at the end of the workout still suck.  I followed it up with a hangboard workout.  I hadn't done one in a while so figured it would be a good test to see how grip strength was doing.  I actually have improved since I last did it.  Apparently doing pull-ups on my rock rings is helping with grip strength.

On the food front, I have been bringing a big salad for lunch every day.  I vary what meat I put in but usually it is leftovers from the previous night.  So variations have been taco salad, pork chop zucchini salad, and chicken salad.  Veggies include romaine lettuce, spinach, tomatoes, and cucumber.  Typically I will have a small amount of cheese in there also.  I have been bringing a fruit for after I walk at lunch also.  Earlier this week it was grapes, then it switched to blueberries.  I love the fruit after the walk.  As a consequence, I was down to 179.2 on the scale this morning!  That is the first time I have seen below 180 in a long time!  I am excited to see what pictures will look like after this challenge if I keep this up.  

Been a busy week around here.  Finally got around to doing more workouts yesterday.  I wasn't feeling so well the first few days of the week.  So I did the YAYOG workout which was push movements last night.  36 dips at the end of the workout still suck.  I followed it up with a hangboard workout.  I hadn't done one in a while so figured it would be a good test to see how grip strength was doing.  I actually have improved since I last did it.  Apparently doing pull-ups on my rock rings is helping with grip strength.

On the food front, I have been bringing a big salad for lunch every day.  I vary what meat I put in but usually it is leftovers from the previous night.  So variations have been taco salad, pork chop zucchini salad, and chicken salad.  Veggies include romaine lettuce, spinach, tomatoes, and cucumber.  Typically I will have a small amount of cheese in there also.  I have been bringing a fruit for after I walk at lunch also.  Earlier this week it was grapes, then it switched to blueberries.  I love the fruit after the walk.  As a consequence, I was down to 179.2 on the scale this morning!  That is the first time I have seen below 180 in a long time!  I am excited to see what pictures will look like after this challenge if I keep this up.  

Heck yeah, man! Killing it! I was a little worried that we hadn't heard from you all week, but it sounds like you were up to some good stuff.

Did you watch ANW this week with the crazy climbing ledge obstacle that like only 3 people passed? I thought of that when you mentioned your hangboard workout.

Also 36 dips? At the end of the workout? Impressive!

• Like 1

The workout is an interval workout where you do 12 reps and you have 3 minutes to complete the reps and then the rest is rest until the next set starts.  So first movement is one arm push-ups at thigh height.  Did 12 each arm for the 3 rounds.  Next was dive bombers with reversal, same 12 x 3.  Next was military press with feet elevated (12x3).  Then finally it was the dips.  I was doing them in sets of 2 by the end because my arms were getting rather toasted...  But I did make it through.  

Yes I did catch the ANW this week.  I am still debating whether I like their format or not.  I still think if someone completes stage 4 but didn't actually finish the city or city finals course, it shouldn't count.  I get why they let more through but let's face it, if you haven't had a winner yet, do you really need to keep making it harder every year?

I am doing well with this program.  I am starting week 5 tonight of the Master's class program.  I am going to do the hangboard routine again after like I did last week.  If I want to upgrade my ninja skills, I need to work on forearm strength.

I went for a run on Saturday.  Was planning only 2 miles since I was running with my Merrell's.  However I was feeling pretty good with them so I did 3.  At that point I could feel my calves starting to tighten and my hip was starting to hurt.  It is definitely progress but still need to run more consistently.  Next run is planned for tomorrow morning.

The gut was mostly happy this week.  I did have a big salad with lunch everyday and cut down on the amount of pop and junk food that I ate.  I did have some caramels yesterday as an experiment to see if that is partially the cause or not.  I am planning to do the salad thing again this week but I made one last night and was planning on bringing it but the power went out last night so I didn't want to open the fridge this morning.  

Tracking was successful this week.  I was under most days.  I still find it mostly helpful when it comes to snacking at night when I can look and see how many calories I have left and that helps to convince me not to snack most nights.  I didn't make any progress in the book but that will come with time.

Last night I got in a "triple" workout.  I finished the core workout from week 4 of Master's class and did the push workout from week 5.  After that I did the hangboard workout.  All of this was done while watching the ANW: Orlando Finals.  I don't know if it is just me but I think I like seeing the "nobody's" do better than the veterans.   It seems like there is too much hype over the people who have been on the show before and not enough results.  

Food yesterday was pretty good for making it healthy.  Dinner was steak, baked sweet potato and mandarin orange slices.  It was delicious.  The good news is there was left over steak so I get to bring that tomorrow for lunch to put in my salad!

Last night I got in a "triple" workout.  I finished the core workout from week 4 of Master's class and did the push workout from week 5.  After that I did the hangboard workout.  All of this was done while watching the ANW: Orlando Finals.  I don't know if it is just me but I think I like seeing the "nobody's" do better than the veterans.   It seems like there is too much hype over the people who have been on the show before and not enough results.  

Food yesterday was pretty good for making it healthy.  Dinner was steak, baked sweet potato and mandarin orange slices.  It was delicious.  The good news is there was left over steak so I get to bring that tomorrow for lunch to put in my salad!

I got my stretch time in while watching ANW. Agreed, it was super fun to watch some of the newbies totally crush the course.

I did do them on the days I was supposed to and I had to finish up last week, this morning but technically that week is done.  I did get to play with the nephews and niece this weekend so that was like an extra workout.

Did 2 interval runs this week.  Need to do a longer one next.  That is theoretically scheduled for tomorrow.

The gut was mostly happy this week.  I tried some foods that I thought were causing the issues but nothing seemed to trigger it.  There might be some more experimentation this week as there is no softball to worry about.

Tracking was done this week but my food choices were not the best.  Combined with not working out on the days that I was over, it looks really bad on the app.  No further reading done but I plan on doing some this week as there is no softball.

Didn't feel the best yesterday morning but was doing better at night.  So I did the day 1 workout of week 5.  I also did a hangboard workout and then followed up with 4 sets of forearm rolls.  Was using the 10lb weight and the forearms were burning a bit.  But overall good workout.  I am noticing my left arm is definitely better with one arm push-ups than my right.  I can only do them at knee height with my left but they are with decent form.  Right arm needs some work.

Lots of workouts happening over here.  Yesterday after work I went for a 2 mile run and then followed it up with my core workout for the week and 30 burpees.  I also took the dog for a walk later in the evening.  This morning I got up (despite my wishes not to) and did a workout.  I did legs with 30 burpees and a hangboard workout.  Tonight will hopefully be some volleyball and then running around playing "Live Mafia" with the youth kids in the church.  They are having a lock-in but I have work tomorrow so I won't stay for the whole thing.

So my work is awesome!  They are adding a gym as part of the expansion they just did.  Just saw some pictures of it and they have a rowing machine!  Can't wait till it opens to start using it!

No workouts between yesterday and today other than running around the church with youth kids at a lock in last night.  I left around midnight but got in a good amount of fun before then.  Tonight I plan on doing the "Pull" workout to complete week 6 of YAYOG Masters Class.  Also tomorrow is softball practice in the morning and I will try to get in a run this weekend.

On to week 7, which I started yesterday since I have softball on Thursdays and this week is a 5 day workout week.  I think I actually did my 30 burpees every day this week also!

Did an interval run and a 2 mile run.  Also did some running around with the youth playing games but I don't know that it really counts.

The gut was mostly happy this week.  Did some more experimenting but nothing proven yet.  I am thinking about doing some more experiments with time of day for food than just the food themselves.  For example last night I had a snack after my workout and this morning I was not feeling great but it was not horrible either.  So maybe certain foods before bed is triggering something.

Tracking went well with decent food choices this week.  The scale was down this weekend so that was encouraging.  I also got 6 chapters done in the book.  There might even be an opportunity in the coming days to use these new found relationship skills.  But more on that in another challenge.

So I got on the scale this morning and I am down to 178!  I also used the "fat calipers" to do a skin fold test and it said I was in the 10-12% range.  It will be interesting to see my measurements after this challenge.  I got up and did my workout from yesterday this morning.  I had a headache all afternoon yesterday so it didn't get done when I got home.  If all goes according to plan, I will do today's workout tonight.  

Did a double workout yesterday.  Well more like triple since I signed up for the Nerd Fitness Yoga.  So I did Water Series A last night.  Then I did my Pull workout for YAYOG.  Tonight will be a Tabata Core workout.  Tomorrow is the first night of fall league softball so no plans to workout.  Games are double headers so I will get enough exercise from that.  I should go for a run in the morning tomorrow but I have had a lot of trouble getting up recently.  

Did the Tabata core workout with 3 farmers walks and 30 burpees in there also.  Farmers walks were with 40lbs in each hand.  I know the last one I made it 200 steps but I didn't count the first few times.  

This morning I went for a 4 mile run.  Did it in 29:38!  Was a little inconsistent on pace but not too bad.  Definitely felt the best I have in a while.  Also took the dog for a walk after the run (as well as after the workout last night).  Weather was perfect this morning for the run and walk.  Nice breeze and low 60s.  

This morning I went for a 4 mile run.  Did it in 29:38!  Was a little inconsistent on pace but not too bad.  Definitely felt the best I have in a while.  Also took the dog for a walk after the run (as well as after the workout last night).  Weather was perfect this morning for the run and walk.  Nice breeze and low 60s.  

Nice job on the run! Were you pushing yourself or just taking it easy? And the weather does sound perfect for a run!

Started with a pace that I thought I could keep up for 4 miles.  It was the first time in a long time that I have run that far.  I did a 2 mile run last week at a 7 minute pace, but knew I couldn't do that for 4 miles.  So I ran the first mile and check my time, noticed it was at a 7:30.  So I quickly did some calculations in my head and noticed that would be about a 30 min finish time if I could keep it up so I aimed for that.  2nd mile was 7 minutes so I took it a little easier on the 3rd and was about an 8 minute.  So that put me back on for the 30 minute pace.  I was starting to feel it a bit on the last  mile but managed to make it!  

Week 7 complete!  Week 8-1 was done this morning and was not fun... Tabatas with military push-up, shove offs, and squats.  Also did 30 burpees and 1 farmers walk with 40 lbs. 

Did a couple runs this week.  Did 4 on Thursday and 3 Sunday.  Sunday was a lot slower but I more just wanted to get a run in than was worrying about pace.

Gut was mostly happy this week.  Little unhappy Sunday.  Might have been the cashews, but we will see.

No reading this week but tracking went well.  I am also getting my wife back into tracking!