Elinox: Mastering Murphy's Methods

elinox

Finally, a Dresden Files-themed challenge for me! And centered around my all-time favorite female character: Karrin Murphy!

For my 11th challenge, I will strive to Master Murphy's Methods!

Main Quest

To live a healthy and balanced life by exercising and trying to eat healthy.

My motivation

I've successfully dropped weight by counting calories so my diet will mostly be staying the same with 1200 calories per day M-F and then blow meals on the weekends. I've managed to put on some muscle in an effort to become stronger by weightlifting and I’ve discovered that I love lifting heavy things! I have a few goals in mind, but weightlifting is the primary one, so I’m back with the Warrior Guild again.

Smaller Quests

1. Fool Moon = Read

While Murphy is not aware of the supernatural as such in the second book in the Dresden Files, she is aware that there are things out there she cannot explain and should be afraid of. That does not stop her from doing all she can to stand up to the darkness.

Later in the series, Harry brings her up to speed on the supernatural, which greatly helps with her arsenal of fighting bad guys. But when faced with the loup-garou, even with limited knowledge of this particular monster, she stands fast and fights. Think of what she could have done had she known about the monsters!

So I am going to read more this challenge because reading is good and makes me happy. Besides, it would be a real Fool Moon the day I dislike reading! In an effort to continue with my wisdom stat, I will read at least 3 new books starting week #1 of the next challenge. And they’ll probably continue with me re-reading the Dresden Files!

Scoring: /3 books

Reward: +2 to WIS

2. Dead Beat = Housework

Murphy is generally a no-nonsense individual (completely opposite of me in that regard!). And her attention to detail and cleanliness is no more apparent than when Harry visits her home: it is neat and tidy and ‘cute’.  

I’m a real Dead Beat when it comes to cleaning: I’m bad at it and I don’t like it because I generally think it’s a waste of time. However, it sometimes needs to happen. And if I can better keep on top of it weekly, then doing full-house cleans won’t be nearly so bad when the time comes.

I will clean something in the house once a week. Preferably lasting 20 minutes or more too. Loading/emptying the dishwasher, laundry, cleaning off the table, do NOT count. Serious things like cleaning a bathroom, vacuuming or scrubbing the kitchen counters only.

EDIT: I changed this to 'housework' to include doing things outside like weeding. 

Scoring: /6

Reward: +3 to STA

3. Proven Guilty = Veggies

With as much physical exercise as Murphy gets, she likely has a balanced diet to match.

I’ve been doing pretty well with cutting down on sweet treats during the week. (I could do better, but I’m doing well enough.) But it’s been Proven Guilty that I greatly lack vegetables in my diet. So for this challenge, I want to try something healthy food related, but a bit different.

I do not like my veggies. I can count on one hand the vegetables I will eat, and people tell me 2 of those don’t even count (green beans, carrots, red beets, corn and potatoes). I count them because liking only 5 veggies is pretty bad. I don’t eat things like salads or even tomatoes and I find broccoli particularly nauseating!

I will be trying to eat a decent vegetable at least twice a week. (This does not include corn or potatoes!) Maybe even trying new ones? Trying new things food-wise is also hard for me since I am a picky eater. (Hence why being a vegetarian would never work for me!)

Scoring: /12

Reward: +3 to CON & +2 to CHA

4. Changes = Weightlifting

Murphy is well known for being physically fit because she practices aikido at Dough Joe’s Gym regularly.

So while she is short and a girl, that has never stopped her from kicking someone’s ass who deserved it. Not only is she a master at aikido, but she’s strong as well.

I really enjoy weight lifting, both in an effort to actually become stronger and to tone my body, so I want to get back into lifting heavy things regularly at the gym again so I can see some real Changes.

I also want to continue working towards that elusive first pull-up and weight lifting helps with that a lot (or so I’ve been told). I will be striving to use the assisted pull-up machine, along with doing other weight exercises which I enjoy, 2-3 times per week.

Specific weights to improve upon:

a. chest press machine: 60lbs → 80lbs

b. squat sled/machine: 180lbs → 275lbs (sled at work)

c. assisted pull-ups: 35lbs assist → 25lbs assist

d. bar bell curl: 25lbs → 30lbs

e. deadlift: 80lbs → 100lbs

Scoring: /12 days

Reward: +5 to STR (+1 for each completed)

dresden_files__the_chariot_by_autumnflam

• Like 1

Level 38 Lupine Pirate = STR: 98 || DEX: 91 || STA: 102 || CON: 76 || WIS: 88 || CHA: 75

Current Challenge: 

Past Challenge List: Challenges 1-38

Battle Log: Battle On, Eli!

"You're the best kind of crazy." -Murphy, Dresden Files

"That's wolves for ya; good guys!" -Wolf, 10th Kingdom

In for Dresden awesomeness

dresden-135265649707_xlarge.jpeg

Just remember, you have great responsibility holding Amoracchius.  You will know when its the right time to use it.

• Like 1

May Br0din bless you with mighty gains, and may your shaker bottle always be full.

Wheymen

...and, if you die...  Walk it off - Captain America

Level 13: 1/4 Giant Warrior

STR - 50 | DEX - 19 | STA - 19 | CON - 14 | WIS - 28 | CHA - 24

My food logging is here*: MFP: tyrsnbdr

In for Dresden awesomeness

Just remember, you have great responsibility holding Amoracchius.  You will know when its the right time to use it.

I know I'm not worthy to wield any of the swords!

I'll be creating another Accountabilibuddy group this challenge too if you're interested in joining the Wild Hunt. I'll link it here once I post it. ;)

Level 38 Lupine Pirate = STR: 98 || DEX: 91 || STA: 102 || CON: 76 || WIS: 88 || CHA: 75

Current Challenge: 

KtTlUGK.gif

• Like 1

May Br0din bless you with mighty gains, and may your shaker bottle always be full.

Wheymen

...and, if you die...  Walk it off - Captain America

Level 13: 1/4 Giant Warrior

STR - 50 | DEX - 19 | STA - 19 | CON - 14 | WIS - 28 | CHA - 24

My food logging is here*: MFP: tyrsnbdr

Hmm, in for the Jim Butcher.  I'm reading Side Jobs now.

Working out regularly since November 2014.  Scoliosis with 100 degree curve in lower back reduces height from 6-4 to 6-1.  245 pounds

Working weights in pounds (7-10 reps)

Overhead press . 80

Bench press. . . 135

Squats . . . . . 185

Deadlift . . . . 295 (x5)

Lat pulldown . . 160

For those interested, I just finished posting the Wild Hunt Accountabilibuddy group here. Hope to see you there! Let's ride!

• Like 1

Current Challenge: 

I just did a decent weightlifting workout over my lunch break. I'm thinking that I should have broken it up by various leg and arm exercises, rather than doing just arms, but oh well. I will try to break it up more next week so one half of my body isn't so stiff for days and then vice-versa. A more balanced stiffness would be better, I think.

And I did manage to do another flexed pull-up. It was pathetic and I barely got my eyes over the bar, but last week wasn't just some random fluke!

I also had carrots with my lunch. 

Weightlifting: 1/12

Veggies: 1/12

Current Challenge: 

Last night after work, I spent about 20 minutes spraying weeds. And today I got another weightlifting session in.

Weightlifting: 2/12

Housework: 1/6

Current Challenge: 

I have and it's okay. The veggie problem is compounded by the fact that I can't just add things like olive oil or butter because of my 1200 calories per day.

But I can try new veggies, just without 'flavor'.

Speaking of veggies, I had another serving last night. This time red beets.

Veggies: 2/12

Current Challenge: 

Try looking into things like Mrs Dash (is that still a thing?). They tend to be low salt or no salt seasoning blends that are (relatively) low to no calorie and can be a way to spice up the veggies as you try new ones. Don't forget that you can try cooking them in different ways to get different tastes, too. Grilling asparagus is a nice alternative, but steamed with tons of garlic is a favorite in our household.

Level 5 Lycan Adventurer | Male, Age: 41 | STR 8 DEX 5 STA 6 CON 8 WIS 14 CHA 10

Nerd Fitness Challenge: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #5(redux)

Accountabilibuddies Groups:

Previous Accountabilibuddies Groups: The Wild Hunt, The Wild Hunt Rides Again,The Wild HuntThe Wild Hunt

TwinBear's Weight Loss : Starting Weight (235lbs), Current weight (200lbs), Goal weight (195lbs)

87.5%
87.5%

I did weights today while at the gym over lunch. And I had carrots as a snack.

Weightlifting: 3/12

Veggies: 3/12

Current Challenge: 

Also, Mrs. Dash - still a thing.

Next time I go to the store, I'll look at her flavors. Although I don't think she would go so great on beets...

Current Challenge: 

Cool. TIL: Mrs Dash is still a thing. It's about time for a spice purge. I might have to check to see what flavors are available.

Maybe I'll find something that's good on beets, though I tend to prefer radishes myself.

Level 5 Lycan Adventurer | Male, Age: 41 | STR 8 DEX 5 STA 6 CON 8 WIS 14 CHA 10

Nerd Fitness Challenge: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #5(redux)

Accountabilibuddies Groups:

Previous Accountabilibuddies Groups: The Wild Hunt, The Wild Hunt Rides Again,The Wild HuntThe Wild Hunt

TwinBear's Weight Loss : Starting Weight (235lbs), Current weight (200lbs), Goal weight (195lbs)

87.5%
87.5%

I had beets last night with dinner. And tonight I think I'll be having some sweet corn on the cob! (Not counting it, just mentioning it since I've been craving it!) Yummy.

And I did another session of weights today over my lunch break.

I need to adjust my weights though; I was shooting for 220lbs on the squat machine, but when using the one at work, I started out already at 240lbs. I think the difference depends on which machine I'm using; the free weight machine at work versus the weight machine at Gold's Gym. So I'm shooting for 275lbs on the sled at work now since I hit 250lbs today!

I also hit 90lbs on my deadlift today too!

Plus, I finished Proven Guilty. :D

Veggies: 4/12

Weightlifting: 4/12

Books: 1/3

Current Challenge: 

Last night, despite not wanting to but remembering that tonight I could not, I dusted the library and polished the wooden furniture in there too. And I hate dusting!

Housework: 2/6

Current Challenge: 

He tends to use: fuego, forzare and infriga. Although the last not until the Winter Knight bit. ;)

Current Challenge: 

He deffo needs some new spells imo. 

I've read Changes, so i've got 3-4 left, maybe he gets some new ones.

Really want a spell infused duster coat!

I'd rather the blasting rod, personally.  :devilish:

Current Challenge: 

I did weights over my lunch break today. Why are some weight exercises harder than others? Like the lateral raise? Ugh!

Weightlifting: 5/12

Current Challenge: 

I did weights over my lunch break today. Why are some weight exercises harder than others? Like the lateral raise? Ugh!

Weightlifting: 5/12

All depends on the weight you choose ;-) Lateral raise uses few and fairly small muscles so the weight able to be lifted will be piddly compared to some others.

Some people, myself included, have issues with lots of the shoulder lifts, probably due to bad posture/desk jobs