• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Granny Nogg

Granny Nogg Goes To Rehab (Challenge #6)

WARNING:  THIS CHALLENGE IS ABOUT VULNERABILITY, CHRISTIAN FAITH, AND RECOVERY.  

"Hi, my name is Granny and I'm a grateful believer in Jesus, who struggles with codependency, resentment, and food."

For the last 3 years I've been a member of Celebrate Recovery (a Christ-centered recovery program), and this is how we introduce ourselves.  While I haven't struggled with drugs or alcohol, I am the child of an alcoholic and the child of an abuser.  I do struggle with other behaviors that have hindered my maturity as an adult.  Things like stress eating, people pleasing, procrastination and workaholism.  

Everyone has hurts from the past that they don't know what to do with; habits they've developed to help them cope with the unresolved conflicts in their past; and hangups about how they view themselves and the people around them.  CR uses the 12-step model from AA, the principles in the Beattitudes, and cognitive behavior life skill tools to help untwist the damage in our lives.

The Rehab Challenge:

In this challenge, I'm going to be working on rehabilitation, both in mind and in body.  I'm struggling with the aftermath of being injured in a car accident.  The last day of the previous challenge (7-19), my hubby and I were in the left lane of a 3-lane road that's also a one-way street.  The guy in the middle lane made a sudden decision to take a hard left turn into a business driveway across our lane, and cut in front of us, so close that we couldn't avoid the crash.  He said he didn't see us, and I believe him; we must have been in his blind spot and he didn't look over his shoulder before turning left. 

Now it wasn't a serious accident; we were only going about 35mph, both cars' engines were still mostly functional, even though the body and frame of both were damaged (the other car likely beyond repair).  My husband and the other driver were unhurt.  

Me, on the other hand, I have a Cervical Sprain, which is also considered whiplash but this one was side-to-side instead of back-to front. I also have two compressed discs in my neck, and the injury is making that area of my neck particularly problematic.  Soft tissue damage is still being assessed at this point.

It could have been alot worse, physically!  But it's taking a toll on me psychologically.  I'm in pain, seeing doctors and chiropractors and on the phone with insurance agencies and the lawyer, multiple times this week, which takes alot of my time.  I'm also working-- owning my own business means I don't get to take a couple weeks off.  I can't do my workouts or play disc golf, pick up my grandchildren, etc.  I'm having a hard time keeping resentment at bay.  I'm also struggling with a desire for revenge, financially.  I don't believe that's the right thing to do, so I'm trying to put those emotions into proper perspective so that they don't influence my behavior.  

*So my goals for this challenge:* 

Main Quest: Create a plan to rehabilitate physically.  

Part of this plan will be to keep all doctor appointments, ask probing questions about my condition to make sure I completely understand what is being said, and make a plan to work my body back to it's previous state (or better!), whether that involves physical therapy or other forms of physical activity.  

Measurement:  Keeping all appointments, making a plan for physical therapy, and following through on regaining my physical abilities: +5 Con

Second Quest: Keeping it real.

Part of this plan will be to recognize when I'm tempted toward using my injury for greed, and reaching out to my accountability people when those thoughts come.  Same thing when I can't do something I want to do because of the injury-- recognizing when I'm tempted to hold my anger or frustration inside and nurse it into a cold resentment.  I will choose not to either minimize my injury in order to speed the process toward playing disc golf or working out, nor play it up for laziness or to get out of a responsibility or to get sympathy.

Measurement:  Reaching out to my accountability team, attending all recovery meetings, and refusing to fall into psychological traps or acting out: +5 Wis 

• Like 1

Looks like a great recovery plan. I hope you can quickly return to being able to do all the things you love.

Me too.  Although I'll take thorough recovery over fast -- at least at the moment.  I know I'll struggle with it when I'm closer to being fully healed and the guys are headed out to the disc golf course.  That's when it'll be the hardest to wait and just do the physical therapy. 

Good luck!! It looks like we're kind of in the same boat this challenge. I disappeared at the end of the last challenge due to endless doctor appointments and eventually learning that much of my chronic fatigue and pain is because a section of my lower back is about an inch to the left of where it should be and my neck is bending the complete wrong way.

Cue Chiro appointments 3x/week and endless PT while also trying to build up muscle via Crossfit for a hip/circulation issue. I'm 25!!

I'm just thankful that your crash wasn't more serious. Please take care of yourself and know that this type of issue can be fixed and the work you put into it will also make a big difference!

Wishing you a quick and safe recovery!!

• Like 1

Good luck!! It looks like we're kind of in the same boat this challenge. I disappeared at the end of the last challenge due to endless doctor appointments and eventually learning that much of my chronic fatigue and pain is because a section of my lower back is about an inch to the left of where it should be and my neck is bending the complete wrong way.

Cue Chiro appointments 3x/week and endless PT while also trying to build up muscle via Crossfit for a hip/circulation issue. I'm 25!!

I'm just thankful that your crash wasn't more serious. Please take care of yourself and know that this type of issue can be fixed and the work you put into it will also make a big difference!

Wishing you a quick and safe recovery!!

Oh we can be very empathetic then, and walk this challenge together. My neck is also not bent correctly; it's straight rather than curving inward. It may be a genetic thing or something that happened over time - but it gives me problems, too.

Wow about the lower spine being totally out of place - that's scoliosis, right? Kinda amazing it hadn't been found when you were a kid!

I'll follow your challenge thread!

Sent from my Samsung S4 using Tapatalk.

It's actually not scoliosis! It's happened recently and is like one vertebra way seriously out of alignment. The rest of my back is straight!

My neck problem is almost completely from my desk job since I have to look down to see my monitors (we have VERY low desks)

• Like 1

It's actually not scoliosis! It's happened recently and is like one vertebra way seriously out of alignment. The rest of my back is straight!

My neck problem is almost completely from my desk job since I have to look down to see my monitors (we have VERY low desks)

One vertebrae - how is that even possible and you're still able to stand? The human body is so amazing. This thing not so much in a good way, if course! But thank God for chiropractic medicine. I know alot of doctors down on it, but there's good science behind it. After years of getting things in the right alignment, I can tell when things are out, and I'm grateful they can be put back in place.

I'm so sorry to read about your car accident and injuries! I really admire your challenge plan to focus on physical and psychological recovery.

Thank you, Rowan.  I appreciate the encouragement!  It feels awkward to be this open; but at the same time, it may also be cathartic.  Time will tell.  

Here's what's happened since I wrote my challenge plan out:

I went to my PA as a follow up to the Urgent Care visit.  She is much more open to holistic/alternative medicine, so she wrote in her diagnosis that she agrees with the cervical sprain diagnosis, and that she'd like me to go to physical therapy, but that she wants to put my chiropractor as the one to take point in my healing.  Wow, what a blessing that is!  I've never had any healthcare person say that.  

My chiropractor is also very sports minded, and she herself is a weight lifter, so when I asked her how long my recovery would be, she said about 8 weeks or so.  She agreed with the physical therapy, and asked that they get me one that's pro chiropractic, but not to allow them to do any adjustments on me so that they don't undo the work she's doing.  I'll be seeing her 3x a week for the next two weeks probably.  

Then Friday happened.  

I'd gone to sleep at 11pm, and at midnight I was half awakened by a pain in my right arm.  In my fuzzy state I thought maybe I'd been dreaming it, and rolled over.  Yeah, I wasn't dreaming it!  A sharp, shooting pain went down my arm, every few seconds, followed by a sensation of coldness.  My thumb and index finger were tingling.  So I went to the Emergency Room.  Bloodwork was fine, they did an ultrasound to make sure I didn't have a blood clot in my arm, and they concluded that it was a pinched nerve from the accident.  

Back to my PA on Monday.  She said she didn't think it was coming from my neck, so she's referring me to neurology for an EMG -- basically a rather uncomfortable series of tests to find out where the nerve damage is.  I'm pretty sure it's the C6 root in my neck, and my chiropractor agrees.  

I'm on some heavy-duty meds-- Tramadol keeps the pain down to a dull roar, enough so that I can drive the truck.  I'm on a prescription for naproxen, too.  I'm icing my neck, and using a TENS unit on the muscles.  I don't know why it would take almost a week for the nerve damage to show up.  But I don't know enough about these things to really make any kind of assessment.

We had an adjustor from the other guy's insurance come out and look at the truck.  He was very pleasant and asked us to send him an estimate on the repairs.  $2800.  Well, the truck isn't worth that much, so likely they're going to offer us the blue book value minus whatever they'd get for junking it.  When we get that offer we'll send it along to our lawyer, and if it's good enough according to them, then we'll agree.  If not, the lawyer will send them a letter.  

Good thing is that the truck frame is not bent!  Most of the damage is cosmetic, with the exception of the front fender being pushed against the passenger door.  But hubs says he's sure he can fix that.  He took a body and fender course at the local JC about 20 years ago, and over the years has bought enough tools that he can do most of the body work on the truck himself.  The engine is fine, thank you Lord!

So we've decided that we'll take the money from the insurance company and put it toward getting a car for me.  We do have one-- a Nissan sedan that our son and daughter-in-law gave us.  But it needs alot of work; the front struts are shot, and the starter went out a few weeks ago, stranding me at church.  We got it towed home and it's sitting in the driveway.  We are going to have it towed to the junk yard and buy another used car with the money we had planned on spending to get it running again, plus whatever we get for the truck from the insurance agency.  Having two cars just makes things sooooo much easier!

We have a Legal Shield membership, which is just so good!  The lawyer was telling me that if my injuries were just soreness and stiffness and I didn't need any physical therapy, that it would cost me alot of money for him to take my case with minor injuries and he wouldn't recommend it.  Wow, what lawyer turns away business like that!  But if I needed physical therapy then that was a different story.  He doesn't know about the pinched nerve yet.  Those things can take months to heal.  So I'm glad to have someone to help us walk the insurance landmines who knows what's what and is looking out for us.

Psychologically I feel a bit like a yoyo.  Struggling with keeping my attitude positive.  The meds help with the pain but they make me dizzy, nauseous, and sleepy.  Which means I'm not getting as much work done as I need to be, and I'm getting behind.  I was telling this to my daughter, who then "rallied the troops" -- aka all the girls from our Monday night "Craft Night" that meets at my house.  So instead of working on their crafts last night, they all volunteered their time to help me work on my orders.  What an incredible blessing.  

I haven't done my devotional since Friday.  I had just started working on renewing the habit; it's been a long time since I've had quiet time daily like that. I was doing "Draw The Circle" with a friend.  We met on the phone daily to talk about that day's devo and our prayer requests.  When Friday night happened, I stopped getting up early to do my devo.  I want to get back to it!   And the accountability really helped.  I should call her.  

So this week is chiro M/W/F.  Working as much as I can, and getting back to that devo.  Maybe I should add that to my challenge to help with accountability.  

• Like 1

So sorry about the nerve pain. Very wonderful to have your friends bless you. Even if you don't feel like getting up early to do your devotional, call your friend, it will help.

• Like 1

Pain medications are depressants, so it's natural for you to be feeling down just from those alone, not to mention the pain and stress. Sounds like a good time to be really gentle and compassionate with yourself.

It's great that you are blessed with such good friends and family!

• Like 1

Pain medications are depressants, so it's natural for you to be feeling down just from those alone, not to mention the pain and stress. Sounds like a good time to be really gentle and compassionate with yourself.

It's great that you are blessed with such good friends and family!

Good reminder about the pain meds. I'd forgotten that. Thank you!

• Like 1

I have a LOT of progress to report!  

It's been almost two weeks since I had woken up with that pain shooting down my left arm.  It's now not painful really at all.  The numbness/tingling in my forefinger and thumb are gone.  The only thing that's left is that my wrist hurts/aches, and my last two fingers don't seem to act quite right.  I have that nerve conduction study scheduled for August 25th, but my chiropractor thinks it won't show actual damage, just that the motor receptors are healing slower than the pain receptors have.  She said that's normal and that I'm still on track for being healed from the accident in another month or so.

The chiro has helped enough that I've been completely off the prescription meds for a week and only taking OTC pain meds if I need them, which isn't much. My back and neck swelling is almost completely gone and I'm adjusting a lot easier.  I can tell when joints get out of alignment now.  Sometimes that happens in the truck on my way home, but... lol.  Starting this week I'll only need to get adjusted twice a week, assuming everything goes well.

We heard back from the other guy's insurance about the truck repairs.  So this is such a miracle and a blessing... when we'd turned in the estimate we'd also looked to see how much the truck was worth, on Kelly Blue Book.  Considering the truck is 17 years old and has over 100k miles, we figured they'd only offer us the value of the vehicle minus whatever salvage they'd have gotten from it.  Lo and behold, God steps in.  Not only did they say they'd pay for repairs, but they said they'd pay $2300 (because they found parts cheaper than the dealership quoted).  That's $800 more than we expected!  

Allen was able to pull the fender forward and out so that we can open the passenger door now, and the bumper away from the tire so that it isn't in danger of pinching it.  The engine is running fine, although we're pretty sure it needs a front-end alignment.  But all that being said, we'll be able to put that $2800 toward either fixing or replacing my car, which is sitting in our driveway with a dead starter.  I'm praying about wisdom on which is better, to repair it or replace it.  The repairs are going to cost about $2k, and we'd set aside about $1k toward fixing it.  

My emotional state is MUCH better.  I did get back to doing that daily devotional, Draw The Circle by Mark Batterson.  Theologically I think he skirts the edges sometimes; but the bulk of what he says is very good and it's helping me to process my thoughts and feelings every day, plus helping me with keeping track of prayer requests and answers.  I talked to my friend, too, and she's also wanting to get back to it.  

I'm getting caught up on work!  Not there yet, but making good progress.  This month will be challenging to get everything on my plate done, including work.  That's a priority so I have to get it caught up, but there are a bunch of events coming up that will challenge my ability to manage my time.  The week of the 20-24th is the Ledgestone Open tournament-- it's a big deal and I've talked about it before.  It's a pro-am event with the biggest payout in the history of disc golf.  SmashboxxTV will be broadcasting the tournament (because the tourney is sponsored in large part by Discraft).  Hubs and I will be helping to run the merchandise booth from our local club and doing gopher stuff as we're needed.  We're hosting players at our house, people who are coming from out of state to play.  Our first guest arrives on the 20th.  

Having house guests means I've got some things I have to do, but with the lifting restriction I've got, I don't know how I'm going to get them done.  I'll talk to the chiro and see if she'll give me a 50 lb weight limit if I promise to wear my wrist brace while I work.  One of the things that needs to get done is getting our son's room ready for company.  He's just gotten a job as a long-haul trucker, so all of his stuff is in boxes in one of the bedrooms.  Those boxes need to go out to the garage and get stored, and his room cleaned up for company.  

Depending on how many people we have, we'll be pulling our pop-up trailer out into the driveway and open it up.  But first we've got to clean the canoe and innertubes and assorted empty boxes off of it first!  But we won't be doing that unless we fill up the house first.  There's two extra bedrooms and 3 couches that can be utilized before we need to do the canoe.  

I'm looking forward to having a bunch of people visiting, and then I'll look forward to the peace and quiet when the chaos is over, LOL!

I did make progress on getting my eating under control.  I really struggle with it once I get out of the habit of tracking my food.  It has consistently made a difference in maintaining my weight when I've done that, because it makes me mindful of what I'm eating, how much, etc.  When I don't track, I worry about how many calories I'm consuming, I tend to fall into all-or-nothing thinking, and I tend to consume way more carbs than I realize.  Since I'm not exercising yet, I worry that I'm going to just pack the pounds on again.  I don't want that to happen, so I need to get back to the tracking.  It's just a matter of making myself get back into that mindset.  

• Like 1

Glad you are feeling better and healing. And great plan to keep up with the devotional, I'm sure it will give you peace. I don't enjoy tracking, but it really does help. I don't even try and do it every day, just several days, and that seems to be enough to keep me on track. The tournament sounds like so much fun, you will love talking to all the pros, and hopefully get some tips and energized for when you are cleared to play again.

• Like 1

Glad you are feeling better and healing. And great plan to keep up with the devotional, I'm sure it will give you peace. I don't enjoy tracking, but it really does help. I don't even try and do it every day, just several days, and that seems to be enough to keep me on track. The tournament sounds like so much fun, you will love talking to all the pros, and hopefully get some tips and energized for when you are cleared to play again.

You're right about the devotional -- it does help alot.  It's so weird, because it's not like I haven't known before that it helps.  I guess I don't keep up with it sometimes because I get so over-busy that I fear taking the time away from whatever-it-is to spend time with God.  Yeah.  Like, shouldn't I know better by now?  

I don't enjoy the tracking, really for one reason -- with MFP, if you can't scan something you have to type in the food.  UGH.  Takes so much time to type every single letter!  And since I eat such a variety of food, it's not often that I can simply 'scroll down, find the food, click'.  But there aren't any better options that I know of.  What we need are internal chips that track our food.... lol.  Hmmm, they could call it the Lazy Chip. (play on words with Lay's Chip, get it?)

I am indeed excited about the tournament!  One of the guys who's staying with us is a world-level pro, so I'm looking forward to just absorbing anything he has to say, and to be able to play practice rounds with him in our group.   

Glad to hear you are seeing progress and feeling better. You've got some fun, busy times ahead. I hope you can get help with the heavy lifting stuff.

Me too-- I have some news in that regard!

So on Monday I went to the chiro and for the first time she didn't have to adjust my left hip (wahoo).  And when she did my lower back, it set off a chain reaction all the way up to my shoulder blades, so that means I'm adjusting alot faster and easier (aka muscles are getting used to the 'new me', spinally speaking!  They're now more used to helping the spine stay in place than they are helping it to stay out of place.  A turning point.

I asked her if I could pick up my grandchildren.  She said yes.  Then I asked if I could do things like pick up laundry baskets or mow the lawn.  She said yes, but be cautious.  I said, "you know where I'm going with this, right?"  She laughed and said, "you want to know if you can play disc golf and lift weights again."  HaHAHAH.  Oh, the woman knows me well.  She said yes, again with caution and not to overdo it.  I plan on taking that advice!

I was on the home course first thing next morning with a big smile on my face.  Played an average game with an average score, as if I hadn't missed a day.  I was very relieved.  Doesn't mean I won't suck at league tonight!  But just means I didn't lose too much ground.  

She said as far as the barbell training, she wants me to bring in my bar and check my squat.  I appreciate that!  (Did I mention before that she's also a weight lifter?  So she knows --or I hope she knows-- what she's talking about.)  So when I go in on Friday, I'll bring my bar with me.

Yesterday when we were going down a hill, Grandpa Nogg slipped in the wet grass and fell on his butt.  It was the tipping point to get him to go get an adjustment.  Grandpa had gone to her once, a few years ago, and she couldn't adjust him.  He's a big, dense guy-- and she's under 5'7".  So now that she's got a male partner in the practice, we're going to see if he can help Grandpa at all.

So today I'll be going back to the BBWW a bit.  She said I can't do the planks or wall push ups because we still don't know what's going on with my nerves in my right hand and wrist, but I can do the squats and leg work, and 10 lb dumbbell rows if they don't hurt.   So that's on my schedule for today. 

Oh, I almost forgot.  

So remember me saying the other day about the other guy's insurance company sending a check?  Yeah.  So we don't know if they were actually trying to pull a fast one in hopes we wouldn't notice, or if it was actually a clerical error, but the check said, "for bodily injury" in the memo and in the check receipt.  Um, nope, sorry guys.  That's not gonna fly.  This check is for the repairs of the truck, not the medical bills.  So I called the lawyer and he suggested I just call them up and talk to the adjustor about it, but be careful what I say, because any verbal intention of cashing this particular check could be construed as acceptance of the check in it's entirety.  So when I talked to the adjustor I specifically said that we could not accept the check, and for the specific reason, and that a new check needed to be issued.  He said he agreed, that it was an error, etc.  I don't know whether I can believe him or not but that isn't important. What is important is that he said he'd have the check reissued, with Grandpa Nogg's name as the payee, and with property damage as the memo, that way there would be no confusion whatsoever.  I appreciated that.   

• Like 2

OH-- I did indeed forget this.  And yes I'm double posting on my own challenge.  Meh.  

So on Tuesday we had a couple of psychologists come and give a presentation at Celebrate Recovery, on how to deal with manipulative people.  Man, it was excellent.  One of the psychologists I've met before and heard speak twice before this.  And I was getting this little nudge on my shoulder to check out counseling again.  It's been 20 years since I've seen a counselor.  I'm pretty well functioning, but at the same time denial can certainly slip in there.  So I called his office to see if I could get an intake interview -- sortof like getting an annual exam with your primary care doctor, I'm looking to get a psych exam and see if there are any areas that I need to work on.  

Yeah, let's rephrase that.  LOL.  I'm smart enough to know it's not a matter of if.  Everyone can use some help to move forward and counseling guidance is a really good way to make headway at a better pace than doing it on your own. 

• Like 1