LadyShello Comes Full Circle - Nerdversary

Let me know how you do on your trip to ND. I'm heading up that way in a week and any tips would be good. I'm heading to the Minot area, where are you going?

So now on top of training for 5Ks your rock climbing also!? Awesome. Plus 80 pounds down. The Doctor sure knows how to pick his companions.

My brother lives in Bismarck, well Mandan really.  he used to live in this small town about an hour northwest of Bismarck.  Not the town so much but the highway to get there was amazing.  The terrain is such low laying hills rolling on forever, covered in sunflowers.  In a partly cloudy day the spattering of clouds across the sky really gives you some visual perspective on how much you can really see.  It's a beautiful sight.  ND isn't really known for it's beauty as far as I know but take the time to appreciate the countryside.  

Yes, rock climbing.  I don't really care for it actually.  The Mr and the boy do it all the time and are always badgering me to join in.  I tried a few times but I couldn't get very far.  Well I tried again that week that both kids were gone.  It was one of our date nights.  I did slightly better since I'm smaller and stronger.  Now it just pisses me off that I can't get to the top.  So I'm determined to figure it out.  

• Like 2

3b: I don't particularly buy in to the carbs are the devil drama but I do know that I am more successful with fat loss by limiting my carbs.  This is probably particularly beneficial to me since the carbs I like are the processed ones.  And I have a tendency to abuse potatoes and have lost most privileges.  I will also be tracking carbs as a percent of total calories.  I would like to keep my calories from carbs under 30-35%.  I am hoping this works better than tracking actual grams since I will be teaching myself to allow more calories in a healthy way.  

+2 CON

That's a well-written and thoughtful challenge, and I love that you are celebrating a whole year of NF, and reflecting back. That's a brilliant idea. I really enjoyed reading through your goals and can't wait for more :)

I particularly like your point 3b. I don't have a particularly deep knowledge of the various theories about carbs, and like you I'm not sure they're the worst thing in the world. I have not even considered counting them before, but your method makes me reconsider. I might do something similar for my next challenge.

Your achievements to date are amazing, and you are totally awesome. This challenge is yours to annihilate! I found myself enthusiastically nodding along while I was reading it, plus it involves spreadsheets AND Dr Who. I'm smitten!! 

Best of luck with it, I'll be stalking your TARDIS from now on :P 

• Like 2

Spreadsheets updated

Yesterday actually turned out pretty well.  Since I was travelling most of the day I was afraid I wouldn't get a deficit.  And I was getting tired in the middle of the drive and I couldn't shake it.  So I resorted to snacks.   And then had some pizza for dinner.  But I still pulled in almost 200 deficit.  Not much, but I would have been happy with 1.   

Got my last run in for the week here at my brother's place.  I used mapmyrun to plot a new course.  I didn't really want to go but tomorrow I drive home so I had to do something.  My Zombies run app force closed more than halfway through the run so I lost a lot of the data.  I had to guess on the 5K time.  I was a little generous but not overly so.  

The run will also help since I have less control over today's food.  There will be brats but not the healthy ones I buy and I'm not sure about veggies to fill up on.  There will probably be some attractive carbs.  

• Like 6

"Attractive carbs" is the best description for certain foods. I hate it when an app fails! It really bugs the complete-ist in me, but I'm glad you worked around it! :D

I tried to find a funny gif for attractive carbs.  You'd think it would be easy....  I get you on the completist thing.  I don't like gaps in my data.  

Your spreadsheet really looks great. It makes me want to track better. Nice job getting your training in while out of town.

I think tracking really helps.  This one in particular is right out there in the open.  It's a lot of accountability, which is just what I need. 

Happy nerdversary! *throws confetti*

*ahem*

Just checking in, My Lady.  :) Losing 80lbs in a year is a truly remarkable achievement!  :o

Confetti.gif

• Like 2

Spreadsheets updated.  

I am glad the weekend is over.  I still have one more weekend of travel coming up again this weekend but I am tired of eating bad food.   

The day of the party wasn't bad.  My brother was thinking of me and got turkey brats so that was a win.  The birthday cake was better than expected.  I ate a piece and then grazed a little after that.  I was really doing quite decently though until late in the evening.  After the kids went to bed we were chillin and watching a movie and I got the Munchies hardcore, chips and ice cream galore.  

Also, I am not that confident in the MFP numbers for the day.  THere were healthy enough snacks but a significant amount of graving so it was hard to estimate the quantities.  I did go for a run that morning so it appears I had a significant deficit that day but some of the choices weren't the best.  

Sunday was the drive back.  It was just me and the girl and we ended up eating lunch from a gas station deli and then I had a burger and fries from Applebees for dinner on the road.  I should have looked up calories at Applebes ahead of time. I decided to splurge but then after logging it I totally regretted the 1300 calories just for dinner.  Combine that with sitting in the car all day with no workout and I had a calorie surplus.  Weight is up 3 pounds since access to my scale before the trip.  But today is the official first day of the challenge so hopefully it's all down from here.  

• Like 4

I think you should not sweat the travel day that much. It's challenging to eat right on a road trip like that! Today is the official kick off, so definitely looking forward to seeing your progress. I'm off to a slow start because I went for an extra cup of coffee this morning already. It was only half-caff, so that is something. Plus I will probably not even finish it. 

I think you should not sweat the travel day that much. It's challenging to eat right on a road trip like that! Today is the official kick off, so definitely looking forward to seeing your progress. I'm off to a slow start because I went for an extra cup of coffee this morning already. It was only half-caff, so that is something. Plus I will probably not even finish it. 

I'm not putting too much stock in yesterday's results.  It's mostly because I have had so many days like yesterday recently.  But I'm seriously over it and ready for battle.  

I like to think of pre-challenge weight gains as awesomeness waiting to happen.  It's like bowling--if you throw a gutter ball on the first shot then that just makes the spare so much more impressive. ;)

That's a good way to put a positive spin on it.  I'm not even going to grade the off week.  It will continue to live on since it's on the spreadsheet but it will get no grade.  I can feel that I am turning that corner mentally so I am ready for the awesomeness to happen now that the challenge has started.  

• Like 4

Just so this is recorded.... here is my plan for the week

Monday - strength workout.  I've decided on this Darebee workout in addition to the PT exercises.  I don't have much time though since we have scouts tonight and I am teaching a merit badge tonight and I'm not really prepared.  

Tuesday - go for a run

Wed - Strength workout at home.  Darebee workout TBD

Thurs - boxing cardio class at the gym.  It will be my strength workout for the week and will take care of the Ranger mini for the week

Fri - a run in the morning, work half a day, and then back in the car for another drive.

Saturday - I must fit a run into this too.  I can go for a run with my sister who will be running her first 5K with me in late August.  

Sunday - rest day and driving day.  And hopefully not repeating yesterday.  

• Like 1

Makes sense.  I'm not expecting to have an enthusiastic audience.  Captive audience rather than a captivated audience.   :pirate:

But, as you said, it is an Eagle required badge.  So suck it up buttercups.  I'm not particularly enthused about teaching it.  But as the troop's treasurer it was hard to come up with a reason why I couldn't do it.  

• Like 3

Scouts are not that common here I think. There are some and I had heard about it but I didn't know anyone taking part. It's interesting what you guys have to do. :D

(That being said maybe get some ropes ready to capture your audience, just in case. :D)

There are a lot of required merit badges for Eagle that do little to hold a boy's attention, even though those are probably the ones that they should pay most attention to.  They just aren't as flashy as rifle, archery, or wilderness survival.

I think it's all in the timing.  We had our troop do the physical fitness and cooking early in the summer and then they had a break to do some camping excursions with some cool survival skills.  Now it's class time again.  

• Like 2

They may not be that excited about learning it but it's one the THE MOST important things they could be learning. Learning to set reasonable goals for yourself and actually meet them is exactly why I'm here! 

And I think most of us learn it too late because who ever pays attention to these lessons when we are young?   Ah, the ironic nature of human beings.. 

• Like 4