Alanna multiplies everything by 2.2

Alanna

For some reason I find forearm stands to be harder than handstands. I can't get the kick-up right. My leverages are just all wrong.

So good for you for doing that :D

• Like 1

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads

Most campuses have free/inexpensive PT, but you usually have to get a 'prescription' for it from one of the doctors at the university.  And they don't like giving those, in my experience.  My wrist pain has been going on for 2+ months and they're still like, just ice it and take anti-inflammatories.  Yeah, I think we've established that won't help guys. Mobility WOD/Supple Leopard has been super helpful.

On another note, sports massages are rather expensive. I feel your pain :(  Good luck!  (Nice progress on the headstand/forearm stand!)

Yeah, they have a super fancy rehab center for their elite athletes, but 1) I'm not an elite athlete, and 2) I want prehab, not rehab. That's unfortunate that they won't help you with your wrist, though. KStar is the best--were you around for my Supple Lioness challenge? I've been neglecting the lax ball work recently because recovery hasn't been as much of an issue while running 5/3/1. I'm trying to do it regularly again, though, now that I'm upping the volume.

ART is pricey too--one place was almost $50 for 15 minutes. Ouch.

Thanks! I'm trying to build on my progress from last challenge.

For some reason I find forearm stands to be harder than handstands. I can't get the kick-up right. My leverages are just all wrong.

So good for you for doing that :D

Ha, maybe your super squat leverages are less advantageous for forearm stands :D. We'll have to wait and see how handstands compare to forearm stands for me :).

Congrats on the forearm stand! I also find those difficult to wrap my head around. My brain will try to tell me that that's not what my forearms are for x) 

Also, i think you might be my adulting idol.

Thanks! By the way, I noticed you mentioned practicing bailing out of a handstand in your challenge thread--any tips for learning how? One day I'll need to move away from the wall.

Ah, thanks. I've had lots of practice adulting--it helps that I started living off-campus when I was 19. Owning a horse through high school and undergrad also taught me a lot of time-management skills and responsibility--I was the only horse person in my family, so his care was up to me. At times I was responsible for parts or all of the daily barn chores, but even when he was boarded at a full-care facility there was always farrier appointments and whatnot to take care of.

I will slack on the things with more distant deadlines if I'm not careful, though--hence all the adulting goals and to-do lists :). And my mom still helps when I ask (e.g., "Can you please call my doctor from several years ago and ask them to fax my immunization records to my new university...?").

• Like 2

-:- THE LIONESS -:-

Challenge 2.1, 2.2, 2.3

Supple Lioness Mobility

Update:

Already have one yoga session completed for this week, and my other goals are going well, too.

For volume squats yesterday, I worked up to 76 kg x 5 x 2 (no belt), then dropped down to 64 kg x 5 x 3 for paused squats. Dang my squats are slow. I think the next cycle I might focus on dynamic effort work for the Big Three volume/accessory work (i.e., DE squats and bench on volume days, and replacing deficit deadlifts with speed pulls).

• Like 2

Challenge 2.1, 2.2, 2.3

Supple Lioness Mobility

Thanks! By the way, I noticed you mentioned practicing bailing out of a handstand in your challenge thread--any tips for learning how? One day I'll need to move away from the wall.

Ahh, I was lucky enough to have a spotter. So I had someone hold my legs and lower me down carefully the first few times. Then just steady me on top so I could prepare myself for rolling out... and then on my own. 

Things that help are a good softish floormat/grass, Doing some rolls before starting practice and then doing some rolls from a bit higher up to get used to the idea of dropping from a handstand.

Que's; tuck in your chin, round your back.

Ah, thanks. I've had lots of practice adulting--it helps that I started living off-campus when I was 19. Owning a horse through high school and undergrad also taught me a lot of time-management skills and responsibility--I was the only horse person in my family, so his care was up to me. At times I was responsible for parts or all of the daily barn chores, but even when he was boarded at a full-care facility there was always farrier appointments and whatnot to take care of.

I will slack on the things with more distant deadlines if I'm not careful, though--hence all the adulting goals and to-do lists :). And my mom still helps when I ask (e.g., "Can you please call my doctor from several years ago and ask them to fax my immunization records to my new university...?").

That does explain a lot! Note to self, make any future kids responsible for horse care ;) Though I can't say that living off-campus since I was 19 helped me any -.-

• Like 1

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl fixes the batcaves

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Ahh, I was lucky enough to have a spotter. So I had someone hold my legs and lower me down carefully the first few times. Then just steady me on top so I could prepare myself for rolling out... and then on my own. 

Things that help are a good softish floormat/grass, Doing some rolls before starting practice and then doing some rolls from a bit higher up to get used to the idea of dropping from a handstand.

Que's; tuck in your chin, round your back.

That does explain a lot! Note to self, make any future kids responsible for horse care ;) Though I can't say that living off-campus since I was 19 helped me any -.-

Ah, you're doing rolling bails--fancy :). Yeah, I won't be trying those alone anytime soon. I do have some previous rolling experience from a brief but intense bout of aikido training, though, so that might make things easier.

Obviously you needed to live off campus with a horse! I was up early every morning that semester in order to feed everyone (everyone == three horses, so pretty easy) and had a stall to muck every evening. That situation didn't last because of time constraints, but it was fun while it lasted :).

Updates:

Not much luck with the GP, but that was to be expected. It looks like testing protocols are very standardized in the UK, and decisions are usually made at the level of the lab--they'll only do further testing if the initial tests look abnormal. She is checking my iron levels and TSH again since I also mentioned that my hair has thinned a lot, but since those were normal in the fall I doubt they'll provide much insight.

A few interesting observations about doctor's offices in the UK vs. US (based solely upon my experiences with one UK GP and a few US doctors--I'm not sure if these differences are country-wide):

• Instead of checking in the with receptionist, you sign in digitally by giving your date of birth and the first letter of your surname. Then, when it's time for your appointment, your name and the room number of the doctor/nurse flash up on an electronic noticeboard (accompanied by a "beep" so everyone knows to check the sign). No one explained the system to me, so it was a little disorienting during my first visit, but it makes sense--it means that the receptionists have more time to deal with paperwork, answer phone calls, and talk to patients as needed.
  • If a doctor decides you need to have blood drawn, you make another appointment to see a nurse--the blood test isn't done the same day. This is a bit annoying because it means coming back another day, but again, it seems more efficient--the nurse's time is well-utilized. I was lucky and they had a free appointment on Wednesday about an hour following my doctor's appointment, so I had my blood drawn the same day.

I am getting rather tired of hearing the "your body is probably more sensitive" mantra, though--I've heard it quite often over the past few years (this is not the first time I've had trouble with fatigue). Frankly, it's really scary given the impending PhD studies--those will be difficult enough without my body randomly giving out on me. I'd rather have a reason so I can make adjustments to my lifestyle accordingly.

Luckily I had squat therapy in the evening to distract me from PhD worries:

worked up to 81 kg x 7 (+ belt), followed by 84 kg x 5 (joker set) (+ belt) and a 62.5 kg x 8 AMRAP set

• Like 3

Challenge 2.1, 2.2, 2.3

Supple Lioness Mobility

ahhh sorry i'm late!

g2V5UCC.gif

In other news, I finished the last of my eggs on Thursday, so they'll be no eggs for around the next 4 weeks. Which means I need to find an alternate breakfast--usually I batch cook egg muffins (eggs, veggies, and turkey rashers) every weekend. I don't mind eating lunch/dinner type food for breakfast, but I do have to make sure I replace the muffins with something so I don't run out of food. I figure there's no reason to limit the muffins to eggs, so the plan for this week is to make some with ground beef + sweet potatoes (as a binder) + zucchini + onions + coconut flour.  Turkey patties are also on the to-do list.

that sounds amazzzzzing! lemme know how it comes out! then post the recipe :D

Instagram | pinterest

read harder challengeBattle LogNROLFW

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current

Are you British or American by birth/rearing/choice?

American (and parents are American too)--this is my first time in the UK and first time living abroad.

ead2ea28d1642bb04dbfe198f5c046b6.jpg

(Just kidding, USA... I love your mixed taps and more flexible education system.)

I really really really don't believe you need to worry about the PhD studies! You'll enjoy doing research too much to find it "difficult"! ;)

And when you get tired you can always browse the ultimate procrastination source of PhD students... http://phdcomics.com/comics.php

As long as my PI understands that I need to 1) sleep, and 2) lift 3x/week (and that I'll do better research if this happens!), we should be good :D

Ah, PhD comics...

ahhh sorry i'm late!

that sounds amazzzzzing! lemme know how it comes out! then post the recipe :D

Hey, you're not late--this challenge has barely started!

The beef muffins were very tasty, albeit rather crumbly--having an egg or two as a binder would have helped :P. Part of the problem was that I cooked the meat before baking it because I was doubtful that it would cook well in the muffin tin. This week I instead made beef patties with the same ingredients (minus the coconut flour), which worked really well. The template for that is

• Chop up your veggies and add them to a mixing bowl. I used onion (you might want to cook it on the stove before baking it if you want it cooked completely through) and zucchini (shredded with a peeler first, then further chopped up).
  • Add sweet potato (optional). Microwave or otherwise cook them first, then scoop out the insides.
  • Add your minced meat. I used ground beef. Turkey also works well.
  • Add spices/herbs. E.g., basil, oregano, garlic, salt, pepper.
  • Mix everything together. Make sure to break up the meat and sweet potato in particular. I used my hands for this.
  • Form patties. Place on a piece of parchment paper or tin foil on a baking sheet (putting down a coating of olive oil might also be helpful, but I didn't have any trouble with sticking/food burning.
  • Bake until cooked through. I can't give you a temperature setting because I have a gas oven, but ~25 minutes worked well for me.

1 kg of meat, 1 onion, 1 zucchini, and 3 small sweet potatoes made 16 patties (about 8 servings for me). They freeze well, too.

• Like 1

Challenge 2.1, 2.2, 2.3

Supple Lioness Mobility

Everything is getting tracked in an excel spreadsheet--here's the Week 1 summary:

Stuff that needs to happen multiple times a week:

• Track food (x7): done. A
  • Screen curfew (8:15 pm leisure/9 pm work): Much better than I've been doing, but 2 nights I was working past 9 (checking to make sure my code was still running and debugging as needed because, of course, it wasn't). B
  • Meditate (x4): yep. A
  • Yoga (x1): Yep--30 min. session on Tuesday, and I also got a couple of shorter sessions in. A
  • Floss (x6): like a boss. A
  • Handstand (x2): yep. I'm working on balancing for short times away from the wall while in a headstand. Kick-ups are getting better, too. A
  • To-do list (x3): 2.5 things done. I'm ok with this because I got ahead in week 0, and I also got important things done that weren't on the list--e.g., academic reports, dissertation writing, visiting friends in Scotland (ok, that last doesn't count towards adulting, but it was fun). B

Stuff not to do:

• no dairy/sugar: check. A
  • no eggs: check. A
  • go back to sleep: Had some trouble on Wednesday, but I tried. I gave up a bit early, though (4:45 am--I'd like to make it to at least 5 am). B
  • no caffeine: check. A
  • no health stress: some stress on Wednesday/Thursday, but more in the context of the PhD than stressing about the doctor's visit itself. B

Health stuff done:

• GP visit is out of the way. Iron is normal, TSH is "normal" but might be high enough to be of interest to most naturopaths and some US endocrinologists. Not high enough to warrant further testing here, though.
  • Like 2

Challenge 2.1, 2.2, 2.3

Supple Lioness Mobility

Quick update before my screen curfew:

I wasn't sure how my 5/3/1+ squat session would go today since squats have felt heavy the past week (well, actually, everything has felt heavy). Luckily things turned around today:

squats (LB): warm-up, then

71 kg x 5

81 kg x 3 (+ belt)

90 kg x 3 (+ belt) (AMRAP)

95 kg x 1 (+ belt) (joker)

100 kg x 1 (+ belt) (joker)

71 kg x 6 (AMRAP)

BAM. Triple digit squat :D

• Like 5

Challenge 2.1, 2.2, 2.3

Supple Lioness Mobility

100 kg x 1 (+ belt) (joker)

BAM. Triple digit squat :D

BAM!  Gratz!

• Like 1

Classless Human Male Warrior - Introduction

Height: 1.77m Weight: 93 kg

Spoiler

Current Maxes: (repsxkg)

Squat: 10x122.3, 5x138.2, 3x147; 1x170

Bench Press: 10x79, 5x93, 1x102

Deadlift: 10x152, 5x192, 3x210, 1x229

Overhead Press: 10x52, 5x61, 1x70.3

Current Battle Log: 1707 Sam Ashen Summer Swole Program

2017 Challenges:  1701 1702 1703 1704 1705

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1609  1610 1611 1612

Daily Log:The Daily Grind

Form Check:  Stronglifts Olympic

More FC's:  Pistol Squats

Want to play?  MFPvP

booyah!! nice job, girl!!

• Like 1

Instagram | pinterest

read harder challengeBattle LogNROLFW

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current

BAM!  Gratz!

booyah!! nice job, girl!!

A's and B's in week one and then topping it off with a squat PR, way to go :) Congrats!

The doctors office comparing was interesting. In the Netherlands the doctor actually comes get you him/herself.

Thanks everyone!

That's interesting that the doctor come to get you from the waiting room. My UK dentist did that (and cleaned my teeth himself), but I'm not sure how common a practice that is.

Challenge 2.1, 2.2, 2.3

Supple Lioness Mobility

WOO HOO!!!

Nice squat PR! Great :D

Look at you starting off with a bang! 

Hope things are still going well.

Aaaaaand thanks again! (Anyone know a good way to multi-quote across pages without copying and pasting?)

I am overdue for an update, aren't I?

Week 2

Some notable happenings:

• I was brave and tried chicken liver in order to get some of the nutrients I'm missing from eggs. It was... interesting. I'm actually very familiar with handling livers from my undergraduate lab days--they're one of the easiest tissues to use for DNA extractions. Thus, there was quite a large psychological block (i.e., "These are for science, not eating...").
  • After seeing the prices of sports massages in my next home, I finally took advantage of the subsidized sports massage offer through my uni. It really helped--she spent an hour on just my quads, pecs, upper arms, and upper back. The upper arms in particular were ridiculously sore. She also showed me a way to target my lateral quad during stretching since I've had trouble hitting that area.

Marks:

• Track food (x7): A -
  • Screen curfew (8:15 pm leisure/9 pm work): B. Had a late video call with by US best friend in order to virtually pack for my next home--we sorted through my stuff that's been stored in her attic (everyone stores there things in their best friend's attic, right?). Best friend ever.
  • Meditate (x4): A
  • Yoga (x1): A
  • Floss (x6): like an...albatross? A
  • Handstand (x2): A
  • To-do list (x3): A

Stuff not to do: A for all (no dairy, no sugar, no eggs, not getting up too early, no caffeine, no health stress)

Health stuff done: nothing new here--I need to wait a bit on the scheduling front. I do need to pick up my records from my GP, though...

Week 3

Notables:

• Ran a 5k yesterday. My gun time was 31 min--slower than the one I did last challenge because 1) I've been focused more on squats than running, and 2) it was kind of miserably hot (for here, at least). I'll take the 10 min. mile.

Marks

That 3rd week slump...

• Track food (x7): C. Not horrible (1.5 days missed) but I need to get back in the habit of planning out my meals, not just logging as I go.
  • Screen curfew (8:15 pm leisure/9 pm work): C, mostly from work stuff (ah, dissertation). I'm still simulating while writing up in hopes of finding *something* interesting.
  • Meditate (x4): B
  • Yoga (x1): A
  • Floss (x6): like a... something. Anyway, A
  • Handstand (x2):  A
  • To-do list (x3): A. Also working on setting up my first rotation, which is priority...

Stuff not to do: A for all

Health stuff done: nothing new

*goes back to dissertation*

• Like 2

Challenge 2.1, 2.2, 2.3

Supple Lioness Mobility

I really really want to like liver.  Lord knows I tried. But ew. Just no.  I cannot.  So KUDOS!! 

Did I congratulate your pr yet? I dunno.  so YAY PR!!!  Woot woot! 

Congrats on the 5k, too! 

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Week 3

Notables:

• Ran a 5k yesterday. My gun time was 31 min--slower than the one I did last challenge because 1) I've been focused more on squats than running, and 2) it was kind of miserably hot (for here, at least). I'll take the 10 min. mile.

I read this as "31 minutes slower than the one you did last challenge" and I was like wtf? were you crawling? lol

I really really want to like liver.  Lord knows I tried. But ew. Just no.  I cannot.  So KUDOS!! 

Congrats on the 5k, too! 

I can't either! :( I think it wouldn't be terrible if it was chopped up and maybe cooked with ground meat? Like maybe in tacos or chili or something. But on it's own, blech. I even tried wrapping in sweet delicious bacon and it just ruined the bacon.

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads

Drop by more often to avoid the slumps! Good luck with week 4 :)

The multiquote button does what you want, it remembers as you wade through pages.

"Dissertation crunch time" probably would have been the more accurate term. Thanks and thanks :)

Congrats on the 5k, too! 

giphy.gif

tumblr_m2kc5aiCio1qc8ct6.gif

I read this as "31 minutes slower than the one you did last challenge" and I was like wtf? were you crawling? lol

Nah, I just ran the first one really fast ;)

I can't either! :( I think it wouldn't be terrible if it was chopped up and maybe cooked with ground meat? Like maybe in tacos or chili or something. But on it's own, blech. I even tried wrapping in sweet delicious bacon and it just ruined the bacon.

Are you only talking about chicken liver or beef liver as well?

I don't think I've ever tried chicken liver but if you also don't like beef liver then can I claim it? :tongue:

Hands off Ada, I haven't given up on it yet :P. It wasn't horrible, I just need to get past my dissection days. I haven't tired beef liver, but I have seen some beef liver meatloaf recipes that look interesting (along the lines of what you suggested, MM--mixing it with other meat). It's on my list of things to try once I have more kitchen equipment.

---------------

So, I've just been trying to keep my head above water while finishing up my dissertation. Sooo much sleep deprivation. It's done now, though, as of Friday.

I kept lifting despite the crammed schedule, even if it was just getting the big lifts in before going back to work.

The stuff that needed to get done for moving mostly got done, too--including a new addition, "Don't steal the squat shoes." I hadn't returned the squat shoes that one of the Oly lifters had loaned me earlier this year. BUT in the end he didn't want them back, so I'm taking them to the US with me :D. I've also set up my first lab rotation for the fall, which was a big one I needed to cross off.

Flight's tomorrow. Said goodbye to my friends yesterday. This part sucks.

Today was my one+ deadlift day, and I replaced it with testing my max instead (so, fewer reps leading up to my heaviest single):

• 60 kg x 5
  • 70 kg x 5
  • 90 kg x 3
  • 110 kg x 1
  • 120 kg x 1 (+ belt from now on)
  • 130 kg x 1
  • 137.5 kg x 1
  • 142.5 kg x 1 (= 314.16 lbs)
  • 124 kg x 3 (I went back and did my 1+ AMRAP set)

That's +10 kg from my April push-pull competition max--not super fast progress, but I'm really happy with it. Deadlifts have been finicky lately (sometimes light, quite often rather heavy), so it's good to know that they're moving as long as I get the work in.

I also got a tiny OHP PR with a 42.5 kg (93.7 lb) single

On that note, I'm off to finish packing now that I've picked up my belt and squat shoes from the gym. See you on the other side of the pond...

Challenge 2.1, 2.2, 2.3

Supple Lioness Mobility