tigertubagirl's quest to vanquish the inches: first challenge!!

Hi everyone!

I'm a longtime receiver of NF emails, but this is the first time I've actually gotten in there on the forums and decided to do a challenge. 

I'm a South Carolina native recently transplanted to Denver, CO. I'm a major nerd in the band sense and also in the foreign language sense, but I also enjoy fantasy, specifically LOTR and comic book movies. When I'm not music-ing or language-ing, you'll find me mountain biking, hiking, cooking, reading, or just hanging with my peeps. 

Main quest:

Lose 5" total off my body measurements 

Goals for this challenge:

1. take advantage of my kickass work gym and do kettlebells (Simple & Sinister routine) min 4x/week during lunch break
  2. turkish get-up with 35-lb bell by end of week 6
  3. drink no more than 1 beer/week by the end of week 6 (I moved to Denver about a year ago and it is the beeriest city I've ever known!)
  4. make & bring lunch to work min 4x/week

Side quest:

Keep my house clean; specifically, make sure kitchen counters are clean and ready to go at all times (lunch prep!) and bed is made every day

Motivation:

I live in Colorado and want to be badass (read: lean & strong!) enough to do as much of the outdoor stuff (skiing, mountain biking, hiking) as I can cram into a weekend. 

Edited to add that I've been doing Simple & Sinister for a few weeks already and I've made it to the 26# bell on the TGU. That in itself is thrilling, but I've also seen some increase in definition in my arms and shoulders, which I LOVE LOVE LOVE and that motivates me to see if I can make them slightly less fluffy so that I can really see definition! 

Recording of results:

My S&S routine tracking can be found here. I may add my beer & lunch-bringing goals to that as well, just for ease of tracking.

Reward:

Two new pairs of pants for work.

Happy quest-ing, y'all!

• Like 4

Hi there! Thought I'd drop by and say hi, since I'm doing Simple and Sinister too. My new challenge isn't up yet, but my goal is to to be working my way toward the Simple goal of 44# swing and 35# TGU

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Following because, well... Kettlebells!

• Like 1

Barbarian Assassin / Level 5

STR: 16.5 | DEX: 4.8 | STA: 8.9 | CON: 8.7 | WIS: 6.6 | CHA: 6.8

My Current Six Week Challenge - Jrosto - A Barbarian Cleans Up His Act

Previous Challenges - #1, #2, #3, #4

My NF Introduction Post : My MDA Journal : My MDA Phase 1 Success Story

Simple & Sinister Workout Log

Keep Calm and Send in the Penguins!

I want to get into kettlebells soon :D good luck with your challenge. 

You might notice that someone has added a tag to your post.  This is not to box you into a corner but rather because your goals or lifestyle have links to the guild you've been tagged and we'd like to bring you to the attention of one of their guild ambassadors. These ambassadors will be able to offer you advice, encouragement and support on your goals.  You don't even have to wait around for them to come introduce themselves to you, you are more than welcome to pop into the Assassins' board and introduce yourself to the guildies there. I am also around to answer any questions that you might have so do not hesitate to PM me.

Good Luck with your challenge

AB xx

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

I had the fourth goal in my last challenge and was positivly impressed by the amount of money I saved. And of course you lose weiight, when you don't eat out so much. Our cafeteria seems to fry everything.

Goad luck and best wishes for the next six weeks.

level 12 Hobbit Monk (respawned September 2016)
STR 4 | DEX 15 | CON 16 | STA 15 | WIS 33 | CHA 24 | Halfling | Newbie | Fencer and Bookworm

Introduction | Character | Daily Battle Log | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 67 | 8 | | 10 | 11 | 12# | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | #### | 17 | Current Challenge

Spoiler

I'm exercising, because I want to get my stamina and strength. I enjoy medieevil swordmanship,  Tai Chi, yoga, aikido and fire spinning. I'm also a roleplaying nerd and a book worm. Let's fight the procrastination dragon!

1. drink no more than 1 beer/week by the end of week 6 (I moved to Denver about a year ago and it is the beeriest city I've ever known!)

I admire this goal so much! I live in NYC and it has such a bar culture, most of my friends don't know that socializing minus the beer still equals socializing. Good luck on this one!

On a side-ish note, if it's available to you, kombucha (wierd, yet awesome non-alcoholic fermented beverage) makes for a great beer substitute. It has a similar mouth feel and bubbly-ness and is supposedly very good for digestion.

cepopaladin

LVL 1 | STR 2 | DEX 3 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 2 | CHA 0

Battle Log: cepopaladin's journey to badassery

Challenge: cepopaladin heeds the call of badassery progress

Main Quest: Vanquish GMB Elements: Week: 4 Day: 2

71.5%
71.5%

Side Quest: Defeat a 10k Run + Intervals: 2 / 12 sessions

16.2%
16.2%

Side Quest: Defeat a Single Pull-Up: Assisted (w/ chair)

25%
25%

I want to get into kettlebells soon :D good luck with your challenge. 

You might notice that someone has added a tag to your post.  This is not to box you into a corner but rather because your goals or lifestyle have links to the guild you've been tagged and we'd like to bring you to the attention of one of their guild ambassadors. These ambassadors will be able to offer you advice, encouragement and support on your goals.  You don't even have to wait around for them to come introduce themselves to you, you are more than welcome to pop into the Assassins' board and introduce yourself to the guildies there. I am also around to answer any questions that you might have so do not hesitate to PM me.

Good Luck with your challenge

AB xx

Thanks so much! I looked at Assassins, and they do seem like they might be my people. Also, kettlebells are super fun (as long as you don't drop them on your toe) -- you should totally give them a whirl! :)

I admire this goal so much! I live in NYC and it has such a bar culture, most of my friends don't know that socializing minus the beer still equals socializing. Good luck on this one!

On a side-ish note, if it's available to you, kombucha (wierd, yet awesome non-alcoholic fermented beverage) makes for a great beer substitute. It has a similar mouth feel and bubbly-ness and is supposedly very good for digestion.

Wow, thanks so much! I thought that might be my dorkiest goal, but it's true -- from what I hear, Denver has more breweries per capita than anywhere else, and more are opening all the time. It's also damn fine beer, which doesn't help. Then the beer culture -- I'm on meetup.com for all my favorite activities, and half the groups are named "Activity + Some Code Word for Beer." Not kidding - there's Trails & Ales, Bikes & Brews, Pedals & Pints, Birding & Beers, and the list goes onnnnnnnnn. I do enjoy beer, but I need to find my own place and level of comfort in this beer-centric city, so that's why I included that in my goals. 

I haven't tried kombucha but there is a ton of it here, so we'll see if I can get some of that. I'm also quite the fan of sparkling water, thanks to a brief stint in France and time also spent in Germany. I love plain ol' water, but sometimes, it's nice to have something that feels a little fancy! 

I had the fourth goal in my last challenge and was positivly impressed by the amount of money I saved. And of course you lose weiight, when you don't eat out so much. Our cafeteria seems to fry everything.

Goad luck and best wishes for the next six weeks.

Thank you, Luciana! I'm looking forward to my wallet getting fatter as I get leaner.  :congratulatory:

Hi there! Thought I'd drop by and say hi, since I'm doing Simple and Sinister too. My new challenge isn't up yet, but my goal is to to be working my way toward the Simple goal of 44# swing and 35# TGU

Can't wait to follow your challenge! I just love S&S -- it's so easy for me to be in a routine and just go downstairs and get it DONE. I also like the fact that I can track the heck out of it and quantify my achievements. 

Can't wait to follow your challenge! I just love S&S -- it's so easy for me to be in a routine and just go downstairs and get it DONE. I also like the fact that I can track the heck out of it and quantify my achievements. 

same here

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

This weekend, in order to get myself squared up and ready to go for this challenge (and under the guise of "failing to plan is planning to fail"), I will do the following:

1. grocery shopping

2. record and post my current measurements

3. take a before picture so that I can compare (not sure about posting that just yet)

4. prepare lunch and pack workout clothes for Monday

Challenge has not started officially, so don't mind me... I'm not ambassador-ing yet (on behalf of the assassin's guild). But I'll sub, because this thread promises to be awesome.

• Like 1

"Unfocused" Wizard // Rationalist of the order of Bayes

Lvl 5 Assassin. Lvl 33 Jack of all trades. 7 STR|6 DEX|7 STA|7 CON|16 WIS|8 CHA

Current challenge Wizard in the making: ero san's continuing road of magic

My drawings Sketchbook, Other afiliations The Loft

Wow, thanks so much! I thought that might be my dorkiest goal, but it's true -- from what I hear, Denver has more breweries per capita than anywhere else, and more are opening all the time. It's also damn fine beer, which doesn't help. Then the beer culture -- I'm on meetup.com for all my favorite activities, and half the groups are named "Activity + Some Code Word for Beer." Not kidding - there's Trails & Ales, Bikes & Brews, Pedals & Pints, Birding & Beers, and the list goes onnnnnnnnn. I do enjoy beer, but I need to find my own place and level of comfort in this beer-centric city, so that's why I included that in my goals. 

I haven't tried kombucha but there is a ton of it here, so we'll see if I can get some of that. I'm also quite the fan of sparkling water, thanks to a brief stint in France and time also spent in Germany. I love plain ol' water, but sometimes, it's nice to have something that feels a little fancy! 

Yep, Colorado has some very good breweries. Being a beer lover is tough if your are trying to stay fit. Not only does it add useless calories, but booze before bed always screws with my sleep.

I've been trying to use beer as a victory drink, which has helped me a lot, but peer pressure (not direct peer pressure, more environmental) is the hard part. I have learned that it's kinda awesome being the sober person though (makes you feel hyper intelligent). I look forward to tracking your success!

cepopaladin

LVL 1 | STR 2 | DEX 3 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 2 | CHA 0

Battle Log: cepopaladin's journey to badassery

Challenge: cepopaladin heeds the call of badassery progress

Main Quest: Vanquish GMB Elements: Week: 4 Day: 2

71.5%
71.5%

Side Quest: Defeat a 10k Run + Intervals: 2 / 12 sessions

16.2%
16.2%

Side Quest: Defeat a Single Pull-Up: Assisted (w/ chair)

25%
25%

She skis, hikes, mountain bikes, and Kettlebells. She's obvious a Ranger. [emoji6]

you'd think that, but I know some assassins that kettlebell too... ;P

Oh, Assassins, Rangers, Assassins, Rangers! Whatever is a girl to do?

Kick ass swinging kettlebells, that's what. The rest will sort itself out later. XD