tigertubagirl's quest to vanquish the inches: first challenge!!

Congrats on the S&S PR! :)

That's why I really love competition kettlebells, they are ALL the same size. 

I'm beginning to understand the beauty of that concept. I'm just 1m60 tall, and I've already got some bruises in... um, interesting places. It doesn't help that if someone looks at me sideways, I bruise. Oh well. :) 

I am a grade-A procrastinator. This week, there have been lots of little kicks in the butt to remind me to get my goals out of the way early in the week (to make sure life/work doesn't get in the way) or to just really intentionally plan exactly which days I'm doing what, prior to the week starting. But the kicker is this business:

I work out in the gym downstairs at work. Monday morning, I had to be here at 7, which requires getting up at 5 and hitting the road at 6:15 to catch the light rail. I am NOT a morning person. I did bring my clothes Monday, but decided I preferred to sit outside in the glorious weather and eat my lunch, because I'd had to get up SO EARLY (humor me here, ok?) and just wasn't feeling a workout that day. 

Then Monday afternoon, we get a message that the same thing that made me have to come in early Monday (my regular possible early morning) is happening Thursday morning, on an emergency basis. So, I had to be at work early (and get up painfully early) again today. But now I don't have the option to skip the gym, because I did that Monday, and I've gotta hit four times in a week. Fine, fine, no worries, whatever, I'll knock it out.

Then, the big boss sends this email out: "I just received notice that the heat exchanger that provides hot water to ... [our building] has failed. They are trying to get someone out to repair/replace quickly .... but in the meantime, our hot water supply in the building will begin to dwindle."

No way will the water heater be fixed any kind of quickly, because government. Translation: cold shower after my workout.

Sigh. :)

Moral: Get it in gear, Leigh! Or, as the band director used to say, "failing to plan is planning to fail."

Cold showers are good for you. You will feel REAALLLY refreshed after your workout.

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Cold showers are good for you. You will feel REAALLLY refreshed after your workout.

You know, I used to do exactly the same thing (hot shower, turn to cold at the end) and I love-hated it. Then I got Raynauds, and that's no longer the very best idea. It leads to purple lips, uncontrollable shaking, and having to get back in the shower in order to get warm again. Oh well. :)

I had just about resigned myself to a sponge bath, but I tested the water first. We must not have run out of hot water yet, because I had a nice warm shower. Woot! :D

I'm not very easy on myself, sometimes. I have to constantly remember to be patient with/kind to myself. Especially patient. Patience is not my virtue.

My overall quest is to lose inches -- I have gotten juuuuust fluffy enough to look odd in clothes I used to love, and it bothers me. I also want to feel good, and it has been my experience that making that fluff go away helps greatly in that regard. Even 5 lbs on a 5'3" frame is an entire clothing size, and makes a big difference in how I feel physically. But the inches, they do not lose themselves overnight. Logically, I know this. I know this. But somehow, I still seem to expect it. Yesterday, the tape measure sang its siren song, so I measured. Now, the good news is that I have lost 0.5" off my waist. That's kind of amazing, and is a testament to clean eating. I haven't lost any off of the rest of anything, except a smidge off my arms. I began to get bummed about that (I know, it's silly. It! Is!! Silly!!! We've already covered the fact that inches don't disappear overnight, my Logic Brain knows this... but sometimes, I really have to talk myself out of being insane, ok?) 

Today, though, I was in the gym, doing my prying goblet squats to warm up, and I looked at my arms. Dang. They really look... pretty good. So, I took a picture to immortalize them (not the world's most, uhhhm, flattering pic otherwise, but whatevs, that's where I was at the time lol), and I have decided that for the remainder of my challenge, I am to concentrate on what I have gained/ am gaining, as opposed to what I am losing. I'll re-measure at the end, just to see where I am, but that tape measure had better not sing to me again until September 6! And I'll enjoy looking at my arms from now on instead of fret looking at the pooch that hangs over the top of my pants when I do those goblet squats. 

It's all about perspective, isn't it?

post-42228-0-58527000-1438892145_thumb.j

ETA I still don't know how to make pictures post in-line, instead of as clickable thumbnails... ?? (Help?)

• Like 1

Felt good yet behind the curve on today's workout. Did all sets of swings with the 44#: 6 one-handed (holy. lord. those took all my energy) and 4 two-handed, 6:59 total time. Did all my TGUs at 35#. I had to reeeeeeally concentrate on the last two sets, because there's no room to be sloppy or overcorrect when working with a higher weight. 

I am exhausted, but happy. Hopefully this means I'll sleep great tonight. :)

• Like 1

I think you used "pretty good" to describe your arms the way most people use "amazing."

Just sayin.

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Gotta look at those shoulders also.

44# one handed KB Swings...Very nice.

• Like 1

Barbarian Assassin / Level 5

STR: 16.5 | DEX: 4.8 | STA: 8.9 | CON: 8.7 | WIS: 6.6 | CHA: 6.8

My Current Six Week Challenge - Jrosto - A Barbarian Cleans Up His Act

Previous Challenges - #1, #2, #3, #4

My NF Introduction Post : My MDA Journal : My MDA Phase 1 Success Story

Simple & Sinister Workout Log

Keep Calm and Send in the Penguins!

I upload them to TInyPic, and they provide me with a link for message board embedding :)

AWESOME progress on the S&S!

Thank you, and thank you!  

I think you used "pretty good" to describe your arms the way most people use "amazing."

Just sayin.

Ha thanks. I guess we've all got our "stuff," huh? I always pick on Sloth for his bad self-ratings re: positivity, but perhaps I could use a little work myself. :D

Gotta look at those shoulders also.

44# one handed KB Swings...Very nice.

Whoop whoop thank you! I know you won't be far behind. You are kicking ass lately. :)

Girl, you look great. Impressive work too.

Yay, thank you! I think it's funny how we see ourselves. I'd have said the same to you. :)

• Like 1

I'm not very easy on myself, sometimes. I have to constantly remember to be patient with/kind to myself. Especially patient. Patience is not my virtue.

My overall quest is to lose inches -- I have gotten juuuuust fluffy enough to look odd in clothes I used to love, and it bothers me. I also want to feel good, and it has been my experience that making that fluff go away helps greatly in that regard. Even 5 lbs on a 5'3" frame is an entire clothing size, and makes a big difference in how I feel physically. But the inches, they do not lose themselves overnight. Logically, I know this. I know this. But somehow, I still seem to expect it. Yesterday, the tape measure sang its siren song, so I measured. Now, the good news is that I have lost 0.5" off my waist. That's kind of amazing, and is a testament to clean eating. I haven't lost any off of the rest of anything, except a smidge off my arms. I began to get bummed about that (I know, it's silly. It! Is!! Silly!!! We've already covered the fact that inches don't disappear overnight, my Logic Brain knows this... but sometimes, I really have to talk myself out of being insane, ok?) 

Today, though, I was in the gym, doing my prying goblet squats to warm up, and I looked at my arms. Dang. They really look... pretty good. So, I took a picture to immortalize them (not the world's most, uhhhm, flattering pic otherwise, but whatevs, that's where I was at the time lol), and I have decided that for the remainder of my challenge, I am to concentrate on what I have gained/ am gaining, as opposed to what I am losing. I'll re-measure at the end, just to see where I am, but that tape measure had better not sing to me again until September 6! And I'll enjoy looking at my arms from now on instead of fret looking at the pooch that hangs over the top of my pants when I do those goblet squats. 

It's all about perspective, isn't it?

attachicon.gifIMG_2869.JPG

ETA I still don't know how to make pictures post in-line, instead of as clickable thumbnails... ?? (Help?)

I could have posted this! I have a habit of forgetting all the awesome and finding the one or two things that aren't going as well. You are doing SO Awesome, deep down you have to know that. The inches will come, but it may happen slowly. I am also 5'3" and know what's big difference 5 pounds can make. Do you find it easier to put on muscle but much harder to lose fat? I certainly do and have to keep reminding myself that I'm getting stronger and building muscle which is great even if the scale won't budge.

Did you take before pictures? They can really help you see your progress. When the scale or the tape measure makes me mad I look at those pics and it reminds me how far I've come.

• Like 2

Level 23 Assassin

Current Challenge

"Nothing is true; everything is permitted"

I could have posted this! I have a habit of forgetting all the awesome and finding the one or two things that aren't going as well. You are doing SO Awesome, deep down you have to know that. The inches will come, but it may happen slowly. I am also 5'3" and know what's big difference 5 pounds can make. Do you find it easier to put on muscle but much harder to lose fat? I certainly do and have to keep reminding myself that I'm getting stronger and building muscle which is great even if the scale won't budge.

Did you take before pictures? They can really help you see your progress. When the scale or the tape measure makes me mad I look at those pics and it reminds me how far I've come.

Yes, I put on muscle like a beast, and I've always got a good little layer of fat to make sure all the muscle stays safe haha. Which I suppose I don't mind so much -- I've come to accept my body in that regard, and I also think we women are supposed to have a bit of squish. It's just that my squish had gotten out of control and was threatening to keep on going if I didn't do something about it.

My sis-in-law is a fitness competitor, and she gets down to absurdly low (single-digit) body fat percentages. That makes her happy, so, good for her; however, it's not for me, for sure. And you are correct that the more muscle I put on, the more fat I will burn and the better I'll feel. But aaaagh, remembering that on the daily is really difficult sometimes! Thanks for the reminder. 

I did take before pics, so I'll definitely have to check back in on those. I've been torn whether to take pics every two weeks during the challenge or just wait until the end. 

In other, other news, I can do a full, proper pushup!! (not on my knees, with my elbows at my sides like I'm supposed to, not out like outriggers lol). 

I just thought to myself, I wonder if I can pull off a real pushup now? So I got down on the floor in my office and tried one, and lo and behold, I DID IT!!! I didn't try any more than one, because I'm a little sore from TGUs and still have a workout to get in. But yay for gains in other areas through KB training! :D :D :D 

• Like 3

I used to take a kettlebell class a few years ago. I loved it! I still have my bells, and maybe I'll get back into it again someday.

• Like 1

~** L1 Wood Elf Warrior **~

STR - 4 | DEX - 0 | STA - 0 | CON - 4 |  WIS - 2 | CHA - 0 |

Main Quest: Lose 50 Lbs.

3%
3%

First Quest: Strength Train 4x a week (19 workouts total).

42%
42%

Second Quest: Meal prep on Sundays (5 total).

60%
60%

Third Quest: Drink 64 oz water daily (28 days).

30%
30%

Challenge Thread

Success! Workout 4/4 in the books for this week. I managed all one-handed swings with the 44-lb bell today, 6:38 total time. All TGUs with the 35-lb. I am glad I've got two days of rest before I start up again, because these new weights are taxing my muscles something fierce. I totally see what Elastigirl meant about challenging the grip, both the swings and TGUs, at this weight. My forearms are looking forward to a couple of days off. :D

Lunch brought 4/4 times this week, only one beer so far (and don't plan on another). So far, so good. Just gotta make my bed over the weekend. :)

Question for members of the Rebellion: What do my fellow kettlebellers or even weight lifters do about callouses? I don't really want to get rid of them, because I feel like I need them for protection. But they're becoming rather prominent. A musician friend told me that one of her guitar instructors recommended putting olive oil on them so that they would still be there, but wouldn't be as hard. Any other suggestions?

I hope everyone has a fantastic weekend! 

So, I thought I'd pop over to your thread. And what I see is pretty amazing! I'll keep an eye open for your challenge.

• Like 1

the artist usually known as WALDGEIST

Epic Quests

Challenges by theme

Star Wars: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #5B, #6, #6B, #10, #11, #16, #17, (Current Callenge)

TeenWolf: #7

SHIELD: #8, #12, #13, #14, #15

Magicians: #9

"It's never too late, to become what you could've been!"

You are right about the beeriest city. there are so many really good places to get a local brew that it is ridiculous. You can do it! Sounds like you have the motivation, and already participate in a number of those activities you want to get in shape for. Your success in the weight loss will just make you enjoy them that much more. Denver itself is a city that from my experience encourages an active lifestyle so embrace it and have fun with it. 

• Like 1

ThorBjorn the level 1 Wampa

Current challenge

|STR 1|DEX 1|STA 1|CON 1|WIS 4|

Jump Rope for two minutes:

FAILED: Time to respawn%
FAILED: Time to respawn%
Level Up My Food Journal:
100%
100%
Weight Loss Goal:
12.9%
12.9%
Strength Goal:
1%
1%
<p>Endurance Goal:
15%
15%

You are right about the beeriest city. there are so many really good places to get a local brew that it is ridiculous. You can do it! Sounds like you have the motivation, and already participate in a number of those activities you want to get in shape for. Your success in the weight loss will just make you enjoy them that much more. Denver itself is a city that from my experience encourages an active lifestyle so embrace it and have fun with it. 

It sure does! I find it encourages beer and activity in equal measure haha. I just have to listen more to the "activity" part and less to the "beer" part. So far, so good. :D 

Thanks for the encouragement and for stopping by to say hello!