tigertubagirl's quest to vanquish the inches: first challenge!!

Congrats on the goals, especially on the real pushup.

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Thank you so much!!! I have never, ever (not once, not even a little bit) been able to do a real, full-body, no shortcuts, pushup. I cannot believe I finally did one!

Congratulations on the 'real' pushup, and... on bringing lunch 4/4 this week :)  You are rocking it!

• Like 1

Barbarian Assassin / Level 5

STR: 16.5 | DEX: 4.8 | STA: 8.9 | CON: 8.7 | WIS: 6.6 | CHA: 6.8

My Current Six Week Challenge - Jrosto - A Barbarian Cleans Up His Act

Previous Challenges - #1, #2, #3, #4

My NF Introduction Post : My MDA Journal : My MDA Phase 1 Success Story

Simple & Sinister Workout Log

Keep Calm and Send in the Penguins!

People of Earth!!

Guess who just did 10x10 swings with a 35-lb bell in 4:59??!?!!!

AND did 2 of her 5 sets of TGUs with a 35-lb bell???!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(And felt really solid doing those, to boot?)

I cannot tell you how excited I am!!!!! Squeeeeeee!!!

That is all. :)

I am convinced that you could kick my butt with one arm behind your back. GREAT JOB!!

• Like 1

Congratulations on your push up!

When I'm in my workshop I'll hit the callouses with some 120 grit sandpaper to keep them a reasonable size. There's probably an easier way.

That actually sounds like a great idea. I have neither workshop nor sandpaper, but I might see what I can do with a fingernail file.

When I get calluses on my hands, I like to use a pumice stone after giving the hands a good soak. 

Also: moisturize. :) 

I haven't tried olive oil, yet, but it sounds like a good way to soften them up. 

• Like 1

Hobbit 

Challenges: 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9| 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

My shiny new "battle" log - probably more of a plodding-along log, but hey, it's mine!

Bit late to the party, but massive congrats on your pushup! :D So nice to get that one. Big milestone, especially when done 'properly' with elbows tucked in o//

I actually know how to do both, and yes, you are correct -- I went through a lovely set of colors for my arms until I finally got my technique down! :)

How come you're not doing any now? :o

Question for members of the Rebellion: What do my fellow kettlebellers or even weight lifters do about callouses? I don't really want to get rid of them, because I feel like I need them for protection. But they're becoming rather prominent. A musician friend told me that one of her guitar instructors recommended putting olive oil on them so that they would still be there, but wouldn't be as hard. Any other suggestions?

I take them off. If you leave them, then eventually they'll get too big and easily rip off. So I kinda just scratch them off with a nail when i'm in the shower (that's when they're softish)... a lot of my students use sandpaper-like items that are originally intended for feet.

You'll still have harder skin than regular people, it just doesn't form such a lump anymore.

This is what my hands look like;

(With extra contrast from the chalk)

7361740af93c10952ab1573de85bee9c.jpgde73afb93ae812e6593239fa7ba5f9be.jpg

• Like 2

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl dusts off her competition skills

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Bit late to the party, but massive congrats on your pushup! :D So nice to get that one. Big milestone, especially when done 'properly' with elbows tucked in o//

How come you're not doing any now? :o

I take them off. If you leave them, then eventually they'll get too big and easily rip off. So I kinda just scratch them off with a nail when i'm in the shower (that's when they're softish)... a lot of my students use sandpaper-like items that are originally intended for feet.

You'll still have harder skin than regular people, it just doesn't form such a lump anymore.

When I get calluses on my hands, I like to use a pumice stone after giving the hands a good soak. 

Also: moisturize. :)

I haven't tried olive oil, yet, but it sounds like a good way to soften them up. 

Congratulations on your push up!

When I'm in my workshop I'll hit the callouses with some 120 grit sandpaper to keep them a reasonable size. There's probably an easier way.

So I took everyone's advice and did a little callous maintenance this weekend. I decided to paint my toenails yesterday (this almost never happens), and while I was at it, I used my glass fingernail file on the callouses. They are still there but smooth and seemingly much more manageable. I've also been putting olive oil or cuticle oil on them if I think about it. So far, so good. 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the "real" pushup congratulations! I still can't believe I did one. Maybe one day I'll try to do more than one haha. 

This weekend was... a weekend. I went to a couple of outdoor concerts and otherwise didn't do much of anything. I missed one day of bed-making, but one day in two weeks, I'll take it. Somehow managed to pack my lunch and my clothes last night, and even managed to remember to bring them to work, despite having to be here at 6:45 this morning. Now to just make it to the gym. :D

• Like 2

It's another one of my crazy days where I've only gotten about a 12-minute lunch, so I did not get to go to the gym. I think I will go ahead and work out after work, though, so that I don't find myself behind the curve for the rest of the week. At least I brought a lunch -- it was much easier to eat that in 12 min that it would have been to go find something to eat! 

• Like 3

Way to turn a positive into a negative! You brought your lunch and you WILL work out. Woot!

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Way to turn a positive into a negative! You brought your lunch and you WILL work out. Woot!

Ha. I was just thinking to myself, maybe I'll just go home after work, instead of going to the gym...

But I may as well just go. At least going after work means I don't have to worry about changing back into work clothes. 

• Like 3

Ok Tank, you did it. I wasn't super duper feeling it, but hey --  I could not accept kudos for something I had not done. So, down to the gym I went after work. 10x10 swings with the 44-lb bell in 5:58. That's an improvement, and I'll take it. But TGUs, whoa. Two at 35, the other 3 sets at 26. I was feeling a bit shaky on those today. I realize I have not had enough A. water and B. food, due to the craziness at work today. So, though it was not exactly the best workout, I guess I can say that at least I got one in.

Thanks for keeping me honest, y'all. :) 

• Like 5

Nice job this afternoon.  It would have been easy to let the short lunch get in the way of your wo, but you didn't.  Now that's persistence :)

• Like 1

Barbarian Assassin / Level 5

STR: 16.5 | DEX: 4.8 | STA: 8.9 | CON: 8.7 | WIS: 6.6 | CHA: 6.8

My Current Six Week Challenge - Jrosto - A Barbarian Cleans Up His Act

Previous Challenges - #1, #2, #3, #4

My NF Introduction Post : My MDA Journal : My MDA Phase 1 Success Story

Simple & Sinister Workout Log

Keep Calm and Send in the Penguins!

Ok Tank, you did it. I wasn't super duper feeling it, but hey --  I could not accept kudos for something I had not done. So, down to the gym I went after work. 10x10 swings with the 44-lb bell in 5:58. That's an improvement, and I'll take it. But TGUs, whoa. Two at 35, the other 3 sets at 26. I was feeling a bit shaky on those today. I realize I have not had enough A. water and B. food, due to the craziness at work today. So, though it was not exactly the best workout, I guess I can say that at least I got one in.

Thanks for keeping me honest, y'all. :)

You_have_chosen_wisely.jpg

• Like 1

Hey, if you're tired, sleep. Being a grown up means you can go to bed at 2:00 am or 8:00 pm. Hope you got some good rest.

• Like 1

Hey, if you're tired, sleep. Being a grown up means you can go to bed at 2:00 am or 8:00 pm. Hope you got some good rest.

I slept like a dead woman last night, and it was sooooo good. One of the many things I love about Denver is that it's almost always cool at night, so I just throw a box fan in the window and sleep so well! I could never do that in the dog breath heat of a South Carolina summer. :) 

Apparently, having to be at work at 0645 yesterday threw me off my game royally in more ways than one. I filled out my spreadsheet yesterday thinking that I had made my bed before I left the house. Got home last night and... nope. So I had to take that one out. Also, because of gym after work, I didn't get home until nearly 7 last night. Thank goodness I go on cooking jags every time we have cold weather (and I live in Denver, where we often have cold weather). The last snow was in May, and I made bolognese sauce that weekend and froze it in individual servings. Thus, pasta bolognese was last night's dinner, along with a small glass of Italian red, on the balcony overlooking the Bear Creek greenway, enjoying my book and the lovely Denver late summer. :) But then... I was exhausted. And I suddenly remembered I had not A. packed my workout gear or B. made lunch. Workout gear was easy. Lunch became easy, too -- I reverted to about 2nd grade, and today, i have a peanut butter and honey sandwich. Perhaps it's time to go to the grocery store and prepare ahead for the rest of the week...

• Like 2

Went to the gym at lunch. 10x10 one-handed swings at 44 lbs in 6:27. Bump from previous times, but I'm not surprised or disappointed about that -- by now I have learned that I sometimes get slower before I suddenly get a whole lot faster. So I will wait this one out and see what happens. 5 TGUs at 35 lbs, not bad. I should probably start timing those, but right now I'll settle for making sure they're stable. Eventually, I'll time them and see where I am.

Peanut butter and honey was an oddly satisfying lunch, but I fear I'll be hungry sooner rather than later. I meant to pack some plain whey protein to have with it, but I flaked out. Perhaps this will necessitate a trip to the convenience store for some milk as a snack later. :) 

• Like 1

I read somewhere (I think it was online, so take it with a grain of salt) that Milk was actually better than Gatorade for rehydrating post workout.

Keep up the good work!

• Like 1