FYI - New Challenge Forums will be live tomorrow ×

tigertubagirl's quest to vanquish the inches: first challenge!!

Great job at not letting one Rockies game derail the rest of your Challenge.  So many times one thing leads to another leads to....

It seems that talking to ourselves during low motivation workouts is one habit that many of us Nerds share.  The fact that so many of us have full on discussions makes me feel in good company :)

Welcome to Week 4.

I did pray a short prayer for your new job opportunity. 

Thanks for all of that! And yes, I talk to myself a lot. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one.

Praying for you. There is nothing like leaving a government job for a better one.

Yay, thank you! 

Keeping my fingers crossed for the job! :encouragement:

And yup on some lock-out weirdness in the elbows. My arms do hyperextend just a teensy bit - hardly at all, but still enough to cause discomfort when I lock them out and load them in that full extension. It's even worse if there is rotation in the mix (like transitions into / out of a bridge).

Some days it doesn't bother me at all, but there are days when I am extra careful to keep just a little bit of "bend" (which usually isn't any bend at all, really, it's just shy of hyperextension).

Maybe experiment with your elbow position a little and see if you can find a better / more comfortable and stable placement (though you might want to use a lighter weight at first than your current working weight - just in case... ;) )

And I also have those days when I just can't seem to find the motivation to move... Usually on Sundays, when I don't move first thing after getting up in the morning. Hang in there! :star:

Thanks for the good wishes.

I'm working on more motivation for today's workout as I write. Sometimes, it's just hard. 

Oh good, I'm glad I'm not the only one with elbow weirdness. I fell off a horse once and landed on the right one, and it's been a little weird ever since. However...

Man, you are killing it with the kettlebells.

Is your palm facing toward your body or toward the front when you do the get-ups.  Facing forward puts more strain on the joints.

Good juju sent your way.  Good luck.

... I also am intrigued by this question Sloth asks, and I honestly do not know the answer. I will pay special attention today and report back!

And thanks for the good juju (incidentally, also one of my fave summer beers). :D

Y'all will laugh but I brought peanut butter & honey for lunch today. The last time I brought that, it was because I was feeling oh-so-lazy and just wanted to be able to check the "I brought my lunch" box. Today, I brought it because last night, I was actually craving PB&H. What's up with that? lol

• Like 1

I tried the Tigertubagirl glare at my Kettlebell during my TGU's today.  Very effective :)

• Like 1

Barbarian Assassin / Level 5

STR: 16.5 | DEX: 4.8 | STA: 8.9 | CON: 8.7 | WIS: 6.6 | CHA: 6.8

My Current Six Week Challenge - Jrosto - A Barbarian Cleans Up His Act

Previous Challenges - #1, #2, #3, #4

My NF Introduction Post : My MDA Journal : My MDA Phase 1 Success Story

Simple & Sinister Workout Log

Keep Calm and Send in the Penguins!

Good to see you're still going strong! Those days that you really don't wanna and the mojo doesn't even come back while you're at it.. those days suck. But good for you on pushing through. 

A lot of girls have hyperextension in the elbows, I do too. It doesn't bother me at all and I always fully lock it out... but I think I wasn't progressing quite as quickly as you are, so maybe your joints just need a little bit more time to grow stronger too.

• Like 1

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl dusts off her competition skills

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Good grief, it's been a busy couple of weeks! I didn't fall of the face of the earth, but... almost.

I am a longtime volunteer for a high school foreign exchange program, and all the kiddos have been arriving since about August 10. It's been a whole big circus of last-minute host family interviews, orientations, student arrivals... I spent yesterday morning at the airport waiting for a kid from Hong Kong, and yesterday afternoon at a meet-n-greet for the Swedish kid in the foothills of the mountains. We've already got one poor child who's experiencing terrible homesickness, poor boy. But I think we've got him on the right track now. Hopefully, now that everyone has arrived, things will settle down... at least for a bit. But I love it, and I do it because my year in France back in the dark ages changed the entire course of my life. So I feel it's my duty to give back and make sure that every exchange student has just as fabulous and life-changing of a year as I did. 

Challenge-wise, I'm doing ok. Last week was not stellar, but it wasn't awful. I brought my clothes for workouts every day, but Friday, ended up having to leave work early to do a last-minute host family orientation, resulting in a missed lunch hour and therefore a missed workout. I had actually brought my clothes for working out on Wednesday, but I did not feel well that day and thought there might be, er, dire consequences if I tried to go to the gym. I figured I'd just make it up on Friday, which I fully intended to do, but just couldn't. Oh well. I'm not going to beat myself up about it. Leaving early for a HF orientation was an isolated incident, and something outside my control. It's not like I've set myself up for repeated destructive behavior or something. 

In other news, my last workout of last week saw me do 10x10 swings in 5:37, which is a new PR for me. I was happy about that! 

• Like 2

You progress so quickly; I assume it has something to do with being fiercely determined.  Do have a previous big base of strength and it's transferring to KBs?  Or are you making new strength?

Yes, I seem to make gains quickly sometimes, at least in terms of strength training. Part of it is that I seem to be built to do just that. Part of it is sheer stubbornness, I think. 

But if you try to see how quickly I gain in terms of endurance, it's a whole other ballgame. This is probably why I don't much enjoy running. I like challenges that yield relatively quick rewards. Otherwise, I'm all, "Squirrel!" and off to chase the latest shiny thing. :D

A lot of girls have hyperextension in the elbows, I do too. It doesn't bother me at all and I always fully lock it out... but I think I wasn't progressing quite as quickly as you are, so maybe your joints just need a little bit more time to grow stronger too.

Good to know. I didn't even think of it in terms of progress and letting my joints get stronger, but that makes sense to me. We'll see how they feel today. :) 

I'm ba-aaaaaaack!

10x10 swings at 44 lbs in 5:36, which is exactly one second faster than my previous fastest time. I make it a point not to look at my watch while I'm doing swings so that I'm not tempted to try and beat the clock, but instead am focusing on really making sure I'm ready for the next set. So I'm feeling pretty good about that time, if I am allowed a smallish pat on the back. 5 TGUs at 35 lbs. 

Lunch brought today. 

Winning.

• Like 4

I'll give you a very large pat on the back :)  PR's are harder to come by to close you get to 5 minutes.  Great job :)

• Like 2

I think I have either recently developed fall allergies, or moving to Denver has made them rear their ugly head. Speaking of ugly heads, mine feels like it could pop from pressure today. I contemplated not working out. Instead, I decided to head on downstairs and give it a good try.

If it doesn't work, it doesn't work, and I'll just come back upstairs (unless I pass out, in which case I hope one of my gym-mates will push the red button on the wall).

If it does work, then that'll be 2/4 workouts in the books for the week.

Fingers crossed. :D

• Like 3

I was really hopeful that my sinuses would clear/quit misbehaving once I got warmed up in the gym.

Please allow me to say that that idea was an epic fail. I managed 10x10 swings at 44 lbs in... 8:08. A look at my handy spreadsheet tells me I haven't seen times in the 8 minutes since July 24 (and that's when I was still swinging a 35-lb).

When the little green dots in the rubberized floor started swimming before my eyes after the 9th set of swings, that should have been my signal. I did one more set to finish out the 10, but... wow. Even my stubbornness has limits, and I wasn't looking to have a kettlebell replace my head today, so no TGUs for me. 

It was technically half an S&S workout, but it was all I could (and prolly more than I should) realistically manage, so I'm counting it, the end. 

In other news, I polled a few coworkers, and it's apparently really bad allergy time right now. Something to do with cottonwoods (we didn't have those in SC). And now, I ask: which OTC allergy meds do you like? I can't go on with my head feeling like this. I'm not even halfway functional!

• Like 2

Zyrtec and Flonase are what my team has prescribed for me.  They seem to work well together.  if you go that route, take the Zyrtec at night.

• Like 1