tigertubagirl's quest to vanquish the inches: first challenge!!

I was really hopeful that my sinuses would clear/quit misbehaving once I got warmed up in the gym.

Please allow me to say that that idea was an epic fail. I managed 10x10 swings at 44 lbs in... 8:08. A look at my handy spreadsheet tells me I haven't seen times in the 8 minutes since July 24 (and that's when I was still swinging a 35-lb).

When the little green dots in the rubberized floor started swimming before my eyes after the 9th set of swings, that should have been my signal. I did one more set to finish out the 10, but... wow. Even my stubbornness has limits, and I wasn't looking to have a kettlebell replace my head today, so no TGUs for me. 

It was technically half an S&S workout, but it was all I could (and prolly more than I should) realistically manage, so I'm counting it, the end. 

In other news, I polled a few coworkers, and it's apparently really bad allergy time right now. Something to do with cottonwoods (we didn't have those in SC). And now, I ask: which OTC allergy meds do you like? I can't go on with my head feeling like this. I'm not even halfway functional!

You have progressed so far so fast, you are doing amazing. 8:08 is a great time. Keep in mind that S&S is  not supposed to be a killer workout, it is set to be done daily and is set up for slow steady progress. You may just be hitting that point where you need to let your body adjust  and keep it at that pace for a bit before you try and beat a time. Sometimes I just  put away the timer and just do the rests by when I feel I am ready to return to each swing. If you push it super hard, then you lose form and aren't swinging the bell with as much force.

Another thing is that allergies really do mess with the swings. Having a good rhythm depends a lot on correct breath control, which as you know is super hard when your nose is all stopped up. Sometimes, rather than fighting that, I just know I will need longer breaks, and just use the session to really focus on good form rather than beating a time.

Hope you feel better soon!

• Like 4

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

You have progressed so far so fast, you are doing amazing. 8:08 is a great time. Keep in mind that S&S is  not supposed to be a killer workout, it is set to be done daily and is set up for slow steady progress. You may just be hitting that point where you need to let your body adjust  and keep it at that pace for a bit before you try and beat a time. Sometimes I just  put away the timer and just do the rests by when I feel I am ready to return to each swing. If you push it super hard, then you lose form and aren't swinging the bell with as much force.

Another thing is that allergies really do mess with the swings. Having a good rhythm depends a lot on correct breath control, which as you know is super hard when your nose is all stopped up. Sometimes, rather than fighting that, I just know I will need longer breaks, and just use the session to really focus on good form rather than beating a time.

Hope you feel better soon!

I guess when you look at it that way, I have made a lot of progress after all. I wasn't bummed about the 8:08; rather, that told me just how crappy I must have been feeling. I like to know what times I'm doing, just because; however, I patently refuse to look at the timer at all during the exercise, to make sure I'm not rushing and am keeping the integrity of my swings. 

Thanks so much for your kind words. It rained a little last night, so I'm feeling a bit better. I'll be glad when whatever pollen is gone, though! :)

• Like 2

Today, I still felt semi-cruddy, but not as cruddy as Tuesday or yesterday. I didn't work out at all yesterday, because I felt rather dizzy. I find that dizziness and kettlebells don't mix particularly well. I can't work out tomorrow, because we are having a picnic thingy with all the other agencies (forced fun, yay!... though I actually like most of the people I work with and choose to hang out with them anyway). So I will move yesterday's workout to Sunday so that I make sure to get my four workouts in this week. Yay!

I got downstairs and wondered how things were going to go. I was in a bit of a foul mood this morning, so I was hopeful that I'd be able to get in a solid workout and remedy that little situation.

Still felt sluggish while doing them, but cranked out 10x10 swings at 44 lbs in 6:11. I was kind of surprised to look at that number when I finished. But it was the TGUs that were super awesome today. I did them at 35 lbs, as usual, but today, for the first time, I felt really solid on all 5 sets. Like, super solid. Like, shoulders of steel solid. And that was a freaking awesome feeling. Can't wait until I can do some holds on the TGUs at that weight.

Whee! 

Happy Thursday, everyone!

• Like 4

...But it was the TGUs that were super awesome today. I did them at 35 lbs, as usual, but today, for the first time, I felt really solid on all 5 sets. Like, super solid. Like, shoulders of steel solid. And that was a freaking awesome feeling. Can't wait until I can do some holds on the TGUs at that weight.

Whee! 

Happy Thursday, everyone!

That is very awesome.  Congratulations!

• Like 2

Barbarian Assassin / Level 5

STR: 16.5 | DEX: 4.8 | STA: 8.9 | CON: 8.7 | WIS: 6.6 | CHA: 6.8

My Current Six Week Challenge - Jrosto - A Barbarian Cleans Up His Act

Previous Challenges - #1, #2, #3, #4

My NF Introduction Post : My MDA Journal : My MDA Phase 1 Success Story

Simple & Sinister Workout Log

Keep Calm and Send in the Penguins!

Way to come back and kick the results of allergies in a really tender delicate spot whose specific mention would be unseemly!

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

K but don't knock me over, please. I know you're getting super strong and badass with all those TGUs and swings. :D

You are still kicking my rear in both.

Plus, you have really helped me with my TGU's.  The Tigertubagirl Death Glare is the key to my last level up :)

If you ever decide to get into turkish get ups, you will get rid of those jello shoulders really quickly!

I DO TGUs (just not very often at the moment), and, in general, I like them.

My problem is a bit of hypermobility in some joints, so I just need to be very careful. My shoulders overstretch easily, and it can take weeks or even months for me to recover. :( 

Hobbit 

Challenges: 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9| 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

My shiny new "battle" log - probably more of a plodding-along log, but hey, it's mine!

Ok y'all, I'm probably getting ready to fall off the face of the earth again next week -- we have a rather high-profile trial starting Wednesday, and I'm going to be running like crazy. So, I will catch up with all of you as I can manage to. 

Here's to good thoughts about managing to keep it together this last week before the end of the challenge, in the face of another challenge!! 

And rock on to all of you in the last week of your challenges, as well.

• Like 4

If the trial get's too intense, just cry out, "By the beard of Rurik, we need a break!" Trust me, it will work #badadvice

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

So I'm guessing you're with the U.S. Attorney's office in some capacity?

Not just "a" cat-herder...

cathe1.jpg

• Like 1

Welcome back.

• Like 1

Hope things are going well for you.

The last thing on my checklist before going up on my elbow in the TGU is "Focus, TigerTubaGirl Death Glare, perfect form". And up I go. That cue has really helped.

Love your simple and sinister challenge! I need to try kettle bells. Hope those 5 inches melt off!

I'm a 33 y.o. mother of 3, wife to 1. I float between veganism and omnivorism, but will focus on Paleo during this mini challenge.  I am a drama/dance/English teacher.  Class: Aspiring Assassin.

Main quest: Lose 10% body fat [0/10%]

Sub-quest 1: Cook one new recipe per week [0/2]   

Sub-quest 2: Walk 6,000+ steps per day [0/2]   

Sub-quest 3: Read 1 book for pleasure  [0/1]

My mini-quests for this challenge:

1.)  I will do the body weight challenge X1, 3 days per week.  Anything less? FAIL!

2.)  I will focus on a Paleo lifestyle, allowing dairy intermittently, but no to sugar and carbs except on weekends!  And I will only drink water on a daily basis (over 64 fl oz).

3.)  I will respond in writing and with positivity per week to 5 or more other newbie NF rebels working on challenges (stolen from a friend!)

Mini challenge: +1WIS