• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

EE_Bubba

EEBubba back on the horse!

Poor horse, has to carry me.

Goals for this challenge, other than starting and finishing? Well......

Thought about it some, and

1) get to the gym once a week minimum.

2) garage workouts 2 times a week

3) This one will be tough, but, try one vegetarian meal a week. May have to adjust this one if my wife disagrees too much.

Other than that I accomplished a set of goals I made 18 months ago and lost almost 55 lbs. I Went on a guts trip to Wyoming, Idaho and Montana. Mountain biked, visited Yellowstone park, and hiked a lot. I think hiking will be a new past time, and ought to be good for getting healthier.

Thanks all,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Updates at the start of week 4.  

1) get to the gym once a week minimum. 

Averaging 2 visits a week so far.  Been great to getting back to the treadmill and the weights.  
2) garage workouts 2 times a week

Averaging out to about 2 a week, skipped one this last weekend, but helped a friend move furniture to their new apartment.  
3) This one will be tough, but, try one vegetarian meal a week. May have to adjust this one if my wife disagrees too much. 

The wife has disagreed, however i am sneaking in more vegetables into our meals.  

I also have a goal to set soon, and we will see if i can do it.  I set a mid-term goal to jog a 5K race sometime in the next 12 months, well my church has a 5 k fun fun run in late October.  So I am reaching out, has anyone here done a 5K?  How did you prepare?  Am I going to put too much impact on my knees?  (320 lbs. here, lots of impact energy) I can jog some, and play ultimate Frisbee pretty well, but I have some trouble with endurance, and I think a 5K is a good way to work on that.  

​Thanks for the help, encouragement and advice.  

Today i may have lost my damn mind.  

I started Couch to 5 K program, and did the first session today.  I then followed it up with one of the heavier workouts I have done in years.  Bench Press, Deadlifts and Lat Pulls for a total of 6420 Lbs.  

I am liking this idea, but I don't know that i have the ability to stick with the C25K.  Looks like it has some high expectations and I am not sure i can meet them.  

C25K can be really good but some people have mentioned hitting plateaus at certain points in the program.  A point to mention is that C25K only asks you to run or jog for a specific time period or distance - it doesn't say to sprint, or run as fast as humanly possible.  Also, you do build up to the higher level expectations.

Truthfully, I've started and stopped C25K a few times.  It doesn't work great for me but that's okay.  It got me started and I've learned from it.  So, now when I run, I run according to what works for me and I'm improving my distance every time I run.

Oh, for the 5K - Have fun! 

I did my first one last year and will be hitting that same run again this year (also in October).

What helped last year in terms of prep was just getting used to running for a longer period of time.  3.1 miles is a longer than the 1-1.5 miles I was used to.  I also ran more regularly.

The race I ran had a lot of hills and a good portion of it was uphill running.  So, giving myself permission to walk helped a bit.  There were also kids to the run too and I used them to keep me going.  I kept urging them on and ran pace for a few of them. I also told them they needed to beat me to the finish line - all but 1 of them did.  Little things like that made the race a fun and awesome experience for me.

To prep this time around, I've been consistent with my running more this year than I was last year.  I'm primarily a treadmill runner, so I'm experimenting with different speed settings to see how much I can push myself.  I'll be starting to focus on the endurance part a bit more aggressively this week on.

Most important prep though is to enjoy yourself.

Oh and Vegetarian dinner: Try Stir-Fry - add enough veggies and you don't notice the lack of meat (or you can cook a little meat off to the side for the wife).

Update on Week 5.  

Been keeping with the C25k deal, more running than i normally do, but feels pretty good.  

Lifted after the run today and did over 14k lbs. total lift.  Think I am gonna feel it in the morning.  

In other news, I have a ton of work to do at our house, gotta get the guest room converted for the parasite to move in to in a few months, so furniture, painting, etc.  Also will be working on the man cave / office, getting it painted and rearranged to be more guest friendly.  

On top of all of that we had a slight leak of AC condensation that caused a touch of damage to an interior wall that will have to be replaced.  

Glad we have agreed to let my workouts be mandatory, they are helping me deal with all this stress.  

Thanks ya'll!

End of Challenge.  

Had a rough few weeks with work stress and health effects.  Actually managed to eat like crap for 2 weeks straight, and gained about 5 lbs. I consider this a victory, as I only gained 5 lbs, after 14 days of decidedly unhealthy choices.

I am still doing workouts, and doing the C25k deal.  I have gotten to week 4 and look to start that this week, I know it is not a challenge week, but gotta keep momentum with what is working.  

My wife is on board with eating better in the next few weeks, going to have plenty of stress in the next 3 to 4 weeks.  

Thank you everyone who posts, offers advise or even a kind word, it always helps and keeps me focused on the prize down the road.  

For this challenge, I will give myself 3 points to spend, and they will be stamina and constitution, mostly due to the C25k, but also some kettlebell sprints (100 swings in 5 minutes).