Aces3000 - My quest for a better life! Version 2.0

I've been staying away from challenges for the past several since I can't seem to complete them. Maybe it's because I have a limited amount of time to spend on internet forums and I just can't seem to stay on top of posting updates, following other forums and also giving feedback to other amazing NF members. All that being said, I'm going to give this one a try.

I'm totally ripping off LadyShello - it's also been a year since I did my first challenge. So I'm going to post a challenge that is similar to that one. I've made incredible progress in the past year. I'm more fit than I've ever been. 

Here we go!

The first challenge

And here's the updated version. No points for now. I may add a grading system later.

I've been consistently working out for the past year. I spent about 9 months simply doing bodyweight exercises and really loved it. That laid an excellent foundation for me. My balance improved, as did my muscle tone. I have more stamina and endurance. I definitely have more energy. A few months ago I made the decision to start working out with a trainer once per week. That has made a huge difference. I'm building muscle and feel great. I do still have a problem with sticking with my workout schedule. That will be the focus of this challenge as will my diet. While I've made changes there, I still have room for improvement. 

One other thing - I'm going on vacation during this challenge. Last year I started on NF when I got home from our family trip. I was tired of feeling rundown and not being as active. This year we're going on vacation a little later than usual so will be gone for nine days in early August. I won't be able to weight train that week, but will commit to doing bodyweight exercises. 

I'm 5'10" and I weigh 195 pounds. Last year I said 200 pounds, but was probably closer to 205. I was always fluctuating between 200-205.

Main Quest - Lose 5 pounds by end of six week challenge. I still have a bit of a belly and would like to drop that weight if at all possible. 185 is a good weight for me, but I'll be pleased with 190 by the end of six weeks.

Quest 1 - Weight training 4x per week. I have a workout program that was approved by my trainer and I would like to stick with it. I allow myself excuses for missing workouts and typically only get 2-3 sessions in each week. The weeks that I've made four workouts have felt great. I'll be on vacation 8/6-8/16 and will do bodyweight workouts during that time.

Quest 2 - Diet - once again this is a challenge for me. I have no interest in going Paleo it turns out. However, I can make some real changes here. Actually I would like to consult a nutritionist for some real guidance. My goal is to research that and find someone that I can make an appointment with. I will use my network to achieve this and also internet research. 

Quest 3 - Limit caffeine intake. I love coffee and don't intend to quit. I know this about myself. However, I would like to make better choices about when I have it. I do drink an extra cup at work that is unnecessary. I will start by eliminating that cup each day.

Life Quest - Last year my life quest was to look for a new career. Well, that happened and I've been in my current job since December. It's going really well and I just am so excited about the difference it's made in my life. So for this quest I will revisit my musical goals. I have still not bought a new saxophone and will make progress on that by the end of the challenge. I will at least have made a decision about what kind of horn to buy. I don't want to settle, rather I'd like to play test a few different horns and see if I can find something I really love. I have a good budget for this so want to take my time. Goal - I will play test 3 different saxophones during the six week challenge. I may even post videos of me playing and ask for feedback.

Motivation - I want to feel better and look better and continue the progress that I've made this past year!

• Like 1

tumblr_mbdrrmPoqy1rxc156o1_400.gif

Hopefully you will get more out of this year's vacation since you have more energy and stamina.  That's awesome.  

I like your goal about a nutritionist.  But I can pretty much guarantee that galactic bread will not be approved.  

• Like 1

So glad you are back. We love when you post but if you can even just visit once a week for an update that would be great. New job! Hope it isn't a far commute. Didn't you have some insane commute before?

Great goals. can't wait to see you crush them.

Glad to be back!

My commute is so wonderful. It takes me only about 20 minutes to get to work. It's been really easy during the summer, once school starts up it takes a touch longer. But not bad overall. It is Chicago after all and the traffic is terrible.

tumblr_mbdrrmPoqy1rxc156o1_400.gif

Hopefully you will get more out of this year's vacation since you have more energy and stamina.  That's awesome.  

I like your goal about a nutritionist.  But I can pretty much guarantee that galactic bread will not be approved.  

I'm so looking forward to vacation. I want to attack the great dune at Warren Dunes. Had some trouble with it last year. 

ahh, galactic bread! Delightful yet terrible at the same time. 

I just saw posts from another rebel who vacationed this summer and made a stop at the Dunes.  I think they were the same ones.  Good luck with it.  I have no doubt you will do better than last year.  Take pics. 

I still am not able to handle galactic bread.  I've learned to eat my pasta without it.... although, come to think of it, I've learned to eat my pasta without pasta too.  Zoodles is where it's at.  

Day one update.

I'm not going to post every day, but if I do this once in a while, I will be in a better position to finish the challenge. 

yesterday I didn't work out, because it was a rest day. My food choices were good, overall. I'm not tracking them formally for now. Not until I meet with a nutritionist.

Caffeine intake was down.

I did start some research for my Life Quest and found a couple of saxophones I want to try that are right in my price range. More details on that later.

Slept great.

Today is a training session and I'll post that later.

Also, 7 business days until I leave for vacation. I'm so ready for a break!

Yay for vacation.  Going anywhere exciting?

I am interested in hearing what your nutritionist has to say.  How did you go about finding one?

We always rent a house in Michigan for a week, right near the lake. Not exciting, exactly but incredibly relaxing. We have no obligations for the entire week. Awesome. 

I haven't found one yet. However, I do have a friend that consults one. I am going to ask her for a referral. May also ask my trainer if he knows of anyone. Will keep you posted.

• Like 1

Friday update.

today is a workout day, so will post in my battle log later. Also I have a great lead on a nutritionist. The guy is a trainer at one of the gyms where my trainer works and he's more of a nutrition coach. I'm going to call and talk to him today. Will post updates later.

Also made some progress on my life quest and started looking at some saxophones to try out. Probably won't make any more progress on that until after vacation.  I guess that is for now.

This song is in my head this morning. 

• Like 1

So I did make a call to the gym yesterday where the nutrition coach works. He and I will talk early next week. I'm looking forward to learning about that program and will post here what I find out. Today I went to the gym for some cardio and stretching. I was really sore after yesterday so was good to take some time and roll out the muscles. Update posted in Battle Log.

8/4 Update.

Talked to the nutrition coach today and like what I heard. We're going to talk again after my vacation and I'll give it a shot. He goes month to month, so I can try for one month and see how it goes.

Also, met with personal trainer tonight and will update Battle Log. Just a killer workout tonight!

• Like 1

We are having such a great time on vacation that I haven't really even looked at this forum. So I'm behind on posting here and also commenting on the threads I follow. Anyway, I have managed to exercise a couple of times, but not that much. Also have been eating basically whatever I want, so there you have it. I will be getting back on the right track starting Monday though. I see my trainer Tuesday evening and will start the nutrition coaching this week. Last year after vacation was when I joined NF. This year I'll be right back at it.

I'm also considering the NF Yoga site, too. Has anyone been doing the benchmark challenge this week?

It's always tough on vacation to stick to things. I'm glad you are enjoying it. At least you've got a plan for getting back to the routine when you get back. That's always the tough part.

I haven't done the yoga thing yet but I am interested to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Well gang. I'm back from vacation and it was fantastic. I'm looking forward to getting back on track now that I've returned. I was supposed to see the trainer tonight, but unfortunately I am not feeling well at all. Looks like an evening at home is what is needed. I should be able to make it to the gym over lunch tomorrow. I'll also be calling the nutrition coach again and will get that started. 

I'm considering joining NF Yoga. Has anyone signed up yet?

• Like 2

I think the yoga sounds pretty cool but I don't do it enough to warrant paying for it.  Especially since my life goal this time around is to SAVE money.  

Welcome back to the real world.  Hopefully you aren't sick now too but sometimes you need a day or two after vacation to 'rest'.  That's a sign of a good vacation.  

• Like 1