Is ElvenEngineer even a warrior?

I will PM you as to not blow up your thread ^-^

• Like 1

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads

brutalbears - giving in to fear doesn't usually end well for me. I'd rather face it and move on (theoretically - it's harder in practice).  Will try to keep this mindset!

Sam Ashen - I know he got to 27 because it was mentioned in the Wikipedia article (3 cubed). Not sure if he went past that

Thanks Miss Marissa!  That definitely helped.  I'll let you know how it goes!

Goal: Deadlift a (Female) Wookie (100 kg): 65.8%

good decision to go back to toastmasters, i felt the same way when i started doing boxing as a very overweight and kinda old lady...hehe 

i actually got a big kick of showing up again even when people probably thought... fatty there had enough. and then i got a bit better and that was real fun.  :onthego:

keep on rocking!

It was a huge hurdle for me to actually use normal weights and realize I had as much of a right to squat racks/power racks as anyone else in the gym.  I was intimidated by all the bros, but they've actually been super nice.  Definitely a mental thing.  I even found a guy there that is also doing stronglifts! 

I'm SO glad that I overcame that, because I love lifting.  Speaking of, going to hit the gym soon!!! It's been like 4 days and I'm so ready to be lifting heavy things again.  Hopefully I'll have more PR's for the assassin's mini, and I may try to do the warrior's mini with my BP since I have to deload anyway.

• Like 1

It was a huge hurdle for me to actually use normal weights and realize I had as much of a right to squat racks/power racks as anyone else in the gym.  I was intimidated by all the bros, but they've actually been super nice.  Definitely a mental thing.  I even found a guy there that is also doing stronglifts! 

I'm SO glad that I overcame that, because I love lifting.  Speaking of, going to hit the gym soon!!! It's been like 4 days and I'm so ready to be lifting heavy things again.  Hopefully I'll have more PR's for the assassin's mini, and I may try to do the warrior's mini with my BP since I have to deload anyway.

Is this on the list of "20 Seconds of Courage" Victories?

And ya.  I would think these guys would be nice.  They probably also remember where they started from.  Either a skinny kid or a fat kid.  And who knows:  Maybe the guys out there have a basic question like, "How do I get my girl to love lifting?"  (Have you seen the BroScience and Untamed videos on that subject yet?)

Classless Human Male Warrior - Introduction

Height: 1.77m Weight: 93 kg

Spoiler

Current Maxes: (repsxkg)

Squat: 10x122.3, 5x138.2, 3x147; 1x170

Bench Press: 10x79, 5x93, 1x102

Deadlift: 10x152, 5x192, 3x210, 1x229

Overhead Press: 10x52, 5x61, 1x70.3

Current Battle Log: 1707 Sam Ashen Summer Swole Program

2017 Challenges:  1701 1702 1703 1704 1705

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1609  1610 1611 1612

Daily Log:The Daily Grind

Form Check:  Stronglifts Olympic

More FC's:  Pistol Squats

Want to play?  MFPvP

Questy Updates so far:

Quest 1 (MFP): 4/4 days complete!

Quest 2 (Journal/mobility/meditate): 3/3

Quest 3 (Sleep): Ehh.... Used my one exception, but I slept in the next day, so still got 8 hours.  Did well the other 2 nights. so 2/3 with one exception used

Quest 4 (Adulting) I've adulted 2/3 nights so far. Not too shabby!

Quest 5 (LYB and HTBAMP): Need to do this.. I've been good about the HTBAMP more than the LYB

Workout last night was great!

Squats: 5 @45, 5 @ 65, 5 @ 95, 5 @ 115, 5x5 @140# <--- I think these ramp ups are right, but I didn't write them down at the gym.  But did you see the 5x5 @140#!!!! That's above bodyweight! :D

BP: 5 @45, 5 @55, 5x5 @60#

Row: 5x5 @ 50#

Then for the warrior mini challenge I did bicep curls.  I had kind of put a lot into both the rows and the BP, so I had to use 12# dumbbells that were... pink.  But that's okay!

My sets were 8, 5, 5 = 18, which I know is not in the ideal 11-15 range.  Apparently I could have upped it a little, but the next weight up was a 20# kettlebell, and I couldn't even do one curl with that. (I tried, okay?)  I think curls would be better done after the OHP/DL stronglift workout, just because it's less upper body intensive. I may try that tomorrow.

Also, I did calf raises in between squat sets.  I started doing that between OHP sets,  because it makes me feel productive while I'm just standing there. 

3 sets of 25 unweighted calf raises

anigif_optimized-27298-1431143449-14.gif

• Like 2

Workout today was... meh.

Squats felt really good, new PR with 145#. Did working sets of 5/4/5/4/5

OHP at 47ish# was fine, did 5x5

Deadlifts were terrible.  I think it's partly because I woke up at 4:30am this morning and couldn't go back to sleep, but my grip strength was... nonexistent.  

As the saying goes, "if you can't hold the bar, you can't lift it".  Well today I couldn't hold the bar. I did one rep at 145#, but I think i dropped it at the end because I just couldn't hold on anymore.  I dropped the weight to 135#, which I had no problem doing last time, and again only got one rep.  It took a lot to lift the bar back up after so I could unrack the weights. Oh well, better luck next time.  Hopefully I'll actually sleep the night before. Maybe.

Now off to spend time with the 'rents.  Then work on thesis stuffs.  Then play DA: Inquisition [again] because I need to do something just for me :D

giphy.gif

You use a mixed grip, correct?  I think I asked before.

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1609  1610 1611 1612

Want to play?  MFPvP

You use a mixed grip, correct?  I think I asked before.

Nope. I'm trying to see how far I can get with double overhand.  

I pulled 135 with double overhand for 5 reps fine like 5 days ago, so I don't think it was that.  Even as I'm typing, my hands feel weak.  I'm guessing I somehow overexerted grip yesterday or even in my sleep. I have been known to clench my fists while asleep, and occasionally hit things.  Esp. during nightmares.

Thought about trying mixed grip today, but just.... wasn't feeling it. I want that to be a conscious choice, not a in the moment (I'm frustrated I can't lift this so I'm going to try something else) thing.

It makes a huge difference.  The weight will suddenly be very easy.  I have heard some things about a hook grip.  (This is where you grab your thumb as well as the bar.  Spezzy has a picture of it.)  But I don't do that.  I work up to a certain weight then switch to mixed grip.

There was a lot of discussion of this on Shaaraway's thread.

• Like 1

Spoiler

Want to play?  MFPvP

It makes a huge difference.  The weight will suddenly be very easy.  I have heard some things about a hook grip.  (This is where you grab your thumb as well as the bar.  Spezzy has a picture of it.)  But I don't do that.  I work up to a certain weight then switch to mixed grip.

There was a lot of discussion of this on Shaaraway's thread.

I remember that discussion. I think I participated... or I just lurked. :D

If it's still hard next time, I'll definitely switch!  I actually positioned my hands in mixed and started to pull today, and it was still hard.

I think this was just a not so great DL day.  They happen.  Next one will be better!

Also, I did calf raises in between squat sets.  I started doing that between OHP sets,  because it makes me feel productive while I'm just standing there. 

3 sets of 25 unweighted calf raises

anigif_optimized-27298-1431143449-14.gif

Awesome Idea (I do this too.)  Here is an interesting article on calf raises that you can do anywhere.

Staying double overhand grip for as long as possible is a good thing, but missing DL volume to stay strict with DOH is definitely a bad thing. Next time you reach grip failure, immediately start using alt grip, even if it's in the middle of a set.

This or you can start using straps.  I too, had problems with my grip, so I would train until my grip failed, then add straps so I wasn't limiting what I was training based on my forearm strength.  Eventually, my grip strength increased so its no longer the weak part of my lifts.

• Like 1

May Br0din bless you with mighty gains, and may your shaker bottle always be full.

Wheymen

...and, if you die...  Walk it off - Captain America

Level 13: 1/4 Giant Warrior

STR - 50 | DEX - 19 | STA - 19 | CON - 14 | WIS - 28 | CHA - 24

My food logging is here*: MFP: tyrsnbdr

I'm finally catching up! It looks like you're doing well so far.

When I did the LYB thing I remember doing some of it half heatedly because not all of it resonated with me. But some of it did, and I think despite my protests it was all helpful.

Nope. I'm trying to see how far I can get with double overhand.  

I pulled 135 with double overhand for 5 reps fine like 5 days ago, so I don't think it was that.  Even as I'm typing, my hands feel weak.  I'm guessing I somehow overexerted grip yesterday or even in my sleep. I have been known to clench my fists while asleep, and occasionally hit things.  Esp. during nightmares.

Thought about trying mixed grip today, but just.... wasn't feeling it. I want that to be a conscious choice, not a in the moment (I'm frustrated I can't lift this so I'm going to try something else) thing.

I've been doing the same thing with the double overhand. My hope is it will one day help me on my quest to pull ups. Today was the first day I did mixed grip for some of my lifting and it felt... weird. 

• Like 1

Pixie Warrior 

I aim to misbehave

My NF Character, My Current Challenge

PR's everywhere!

Well, not really. But kind of. Emerald Dragonfly reminded me of that last one, which reminded me that I'm still getting LOTS of newbie gains.

Because I just got 5x5 @ 145# yesterday! [squats of course]

Huge win for me, because I did NOT want to go to the gym.  After my DL fails Friday, I was not in the best place.  I still went, and hit a PR that I've been excited about for a while :D

Then did some BP, which was disappointing.  Remember when I was lifting 70#?  Not 5x5, but still? I couldn't get 5x5 @ 60#, which made me sad.  So then I skipped rows, because I was sad. Also, the equipment was not there. They moved it. Again.

DL again tomorrow! I will try mixed grip if I have issues, and attempt to redeem myself :)

Week 3: (wait, it's already Week 4? WHAT?!)

Quest 1 (MFP): 4/5 - B <-- getting better at tracking SOMETHING even on days I don't track everything. Though that muddled which days I 'completed' so I didn't get 5 like I thought I did.

Quest 2 (Journal, meditate/mobility): 5/5 - A

Quest 3 (Sleep): had a crazy week, bf's car broke down, got sick, had to drive to see parents, etc. I did well with all that - B

Quest 4 (Adulting): hahahahahahaha - I cleaned every night I was home. Which was... 2/2 - A for effort.  I also did some cleaning things when I stayed at different places.

Quest 5 (28 day things) - I need to work on the LYB one. Haven't been keeping up. The HTBAMP one started off really well and relevant for me, but it's been getting.... not helpful.  'Do this stretching routing/workout when you wake up, which is either 10 or 30 minutes'. Um, I go to the gym when I wake up soo....  I'll wake up 5 minutes earlier to do mobility, but not 30.  I already get teased for going to bed at 9:30.  I refuse to go to bed at 9

Note for next challenge -  5 goals is too many if they're all/mostly new things.  Calm down.

Also, school resumes next week, so that'll be... interesting.

Does anyone know how accurate the calorie range is on MFP?  I know some people have talked about TDEE and other things to measure.  I have MFP set to 'maintain' and I'm constantly under it. And not 20 calories.  I'm 500-700+ under almost every day. But I'm not losing weight or anything, so I feel like I'm maintaining.  And I eat about the same range most days (1200-1400). MFP thinks I should be eating 1900+. 

I also think I used to get a lot of calories/protein from dairy and now that's a no-go.  However,  I have calorie records from before I cut dairy out, and they aren't that much higher. More 1300-1500 range. *le sigh* This could be why a lot of my lifts have stalled. Other than squats, because squats are awesome.

• Like 1

Congrats on the PR!!!!! Squats! woot woot!

Awesome Idea (I do this too.)  Here is an interesting article on calf raises that you can do anywhere.

Re calf raises during squats:  remember that calf mobility is an important part of squat depth.  working the calves can get them all tight during your squats and jack up said mobility/depth.    If you start to notice squats suffering quit the raises.

Does anyone know how accurate the calorie range is on MFP?  I know some people have talked about TDEE and other things to measure.  I have MFP set to 'maintain' and I'm constantly under it. And not 20 calories.  I'm 500-700+ under almost every day. But I'm not losing weight or anything, so I feel like I'm maintaining.  And I eat about the same range most days (1200-1400). MFP thinks I should be eating 1900+. 

I also think I used to get a lot of calories/protein from dairy and now that's a no-go.  However,  I have calorie records from before I cut dairy out, and they aren't that much higher. More 1300-1500 range. *le sigh* This could be why a lot of my lifts have stalled. Other than squats, because squats are awesome.

What are your stats again? age, height, weight? When you say you're eating 1200-1400 are you NETTING that much or just eating that much total? 

Before knowing any of that I'm going to go ahead and say 1200-1400 is too low.  Not losing isn't always a sign of maintaining. More on that after info is gathered, though. 

• Like 2

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

I think of the calorie suggestions from MFP as a good starting place, but then you have to adjust for your personal experience.  You might also want to check out this calculator. (The page has a ton of ads on it, but the calculator is pretty good.)

And you know you can adjust your calorie/macro goals in MFP, right?

• Like 1

Level 32 Minifig Jedi Assassin

Current Challenge  | Battle Log | "Epic" Quest

Previous Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6789101111.51213141516171819, 2021222324, 25, 262728293031323334

"A man who wants to do something will find a way; a man who doesn't will find an excuse." -Stephan Dolley, Jr.

"You don't get stronger by skipping workouts." - me, to myself, about 3 times a week

Hermione: I'm 22, female, 5'-7.5" (yes, the half is important), and I hover around 135#. 

Not net calories - I never bother subtracting calories from exercise, that's my total.  It sounds low to me too, I'm just trying to figure out an optimal range to aim for, and if MFP is correct-ish. 

I thought I wasn't eating enough, and that's actually why I started tracking with MFP.

I've quit doing calf raises in between squats for that exact reason lol.  I now do them between bench or OHP sets.  That seems to be fine, at least for now.  If I leave them for the end, I forget.

The first response I got my Battle Log was with regard to the calories burned lifting weights:

I use my own calculations for strength training because the MFP calculations tend to be based on a grandmother doing bicep curls. ;-) 

The general impression I get is MFP predictions can be off by quite a bit.  It looks like Hermie has answered.  I'm sure MM will weigh in.  SS (who I quoted above) likes to talk about the subject as well, but every time I speak for her, I stick my foot in my mouth and get it horribly wrong.

• Like 2

Spoiler

Want to play?  MFPvP

Sam Ashen - Yeah, I don't input my workouts into MFP because the calories seem VERY off.  So that's just the number for the food I eat, not subtracting 'burned' calories though exercise.  That way, I don't have to worry about MFP's opinion of my lifting exertion.

tenaciousglee - Yes, I know I can adjust my goals in MFP :)  It has actually helped me a lot. And according to that linked calculator, I would burn 1406 by staying in bed all day (BMR).  So I'm definitely NOT eating enough. Good to know, now just have to figure out how to fix it! (my TDEE was 1950, which is basically what MFP recommends.)

I also found some of the stuff I entered the serving sizes are very small and I would log for a while and then realize all this time I have been lying to MFP.

One of my staples is a peanut butter sandwich.  For a while I was entering "peanut butter sandwich" at about 270 or something like that.  Then I looked at the bread I was using and two slices of that are 100 each.  So I bumped it to 400 and entered the bread and peanut butter separately.  Then I counted the days it took to go through a jar of peanut butter.  I jam my knife in there twice and slop it on each slice of bread, so that would be two servings.

IIRC this is one of MM's favorite subjects.

• Like 3

Spoiler

Want to play?  MFPvP