Just when I thought everything was going great...

Backpacking is easily my favorite part of the summer, and I happen to live in one the best places in the world for it. Over the 4th of July, my 3rd trip of the season, I took some friends out to the Desolation Basin for a fun weekend of mellow cross country trekking and to attempt to summit Mt. Humphreys. With less than a quarter mile to go to our campsite the first night, I had a little mini stumble that I didn't even fully trip from, but due to an awkward angle I managed to feel the worst pain I've ever felt in my left quad. I was debating that night whether I'd need to send someone ahead to call in for a rescue, but the next day I felt massively better and could hike around to test what I could do (most anything) and what I couldn't (butt kicker stretches and 1-legged squat type maneuvers). The 3rd day I felt good enough to lead the group toward the big, imposing spire of Mt. Humphreys, and halfway up I managed to pull the other (right) quad while hopping between boulders. This one wasn't so bad and I was able to descend without issues, and hiking back the next day was uneventful. I was in just about the best hiking shape of my life, so I was hoping this was akin to just a flesh wound...

I got it checked out with a diagnosis of a partial tear and a 2-6 week recovery window. I took it easier the next two weeks, but noticed that I still had some bruising on my worse off left quad and I wasn't seeming to heal up much. Running, jumping, and kicking were instant jolts of pain, but most everything else was totally doable. Another orthopedic visit, and this the doctor looked close enough to notice my left quad bunched up closer to my knee, with a depression closer to the thigh. An MRI confirmed that I'd come damn close to tearing my quad, with a 9-18 month recovery window to look forward to. In the meantime I've gotta absolutely lay off anything that might risk tweaking or reaggravating my quads, even the adult league softball team I was psyched to join. Fighting through the pain is NOT always the best solution!

I was taking things pretty easy, but had already started PT and was doing some light mountain biking before the more dire warnings of how close I am to a rather sever injury. My dream backpacking trip that I had planned for this summer will have to wait for next year, but I have 4 months to heal up before ski season starts. As much as I love backpacking, I love skiing even more and I'm willing to forgo the rest of the summer for a great winter.

Sadly, I'm going to have to aspire to become that buff guy who looks like he always skips leg day - I'll have to! I used to be able to do 25 pull ups or 10/10/5/5 alternating pull ups/chin ups, hopefully my upper body will be ready to take the reins after my predominately lower body focused training the past 9 months. This is going to be a test to resist the temptation to become one with the couch and beer, but at least I've gotten my diet mostly in check thanks to NF and other sites.

All the more power to those of you who've come back from even worse injuries!

A week after my 'don't do anything for 3 weeks' prescription, it's definitely been a struggle. It's frustrating when I've got permission to walk, but not take the stairs. Just a week and a half ago I was hopping in and out of trenches, and 3 weeks out I was hiking 8 miles in 3 hours with a backpack on...

On the upside, I'm 2/2 getting through my upper body workouts this last week. Not wanting to injure another part of my body is a nice motivator to not overdo it and slowly work my way back into the shape of things.

bummer!  Keep eating clean and get plenty of rest, and maybe you'll recover sooner than they think.  Good for you getting diagnosed and obeying medical advice.  (No really, I know a lot of people who have particular difficulty with that...)

If you think you can resist the temptation to play, you might consider going to the softball games anyway.  You'll make friends and they might want you to umpire, base coach or keep score.

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.