ab14aeq: Reporting for very first mission!

Rhovaniel

Hi,

I'm Alex.  As a bit of an introduction, I'm 23, entirely new to fitness, but determined to change my life, one step at a time! I LOVE the concept of treating life as a video game, since I have always been blessed with an overactive imagination. I've always been tall and thin (I was actually underweight for a lot of my childhood). However, the adult world of work and uni hit, and I'm currently a little heavier than I would like (the overhang on my trousers especially HAS to go!) I also love fell walking and being outdoors, so I'd like to improve my strength and stamina to explore the more challenging fells in the Lake District, maybe one day (not at the end of the six weeks) complete the three peaks challenge. (Ben Nevis, Snowdon and Scafell Pike). I'm a huge Lord of the Rings fan, so the idea of walking across mountains and wandering in the great outdoors is very appealing!

So, beginning stats: 153 lbs. 5 ft 9 in. Female.

Main Quest: Lose at least six lbs (roughly one a week), whilst gaining strength.

Specific Goals:

1. Complete the beginner bodyweight workout twice a week

2. Go for a run twice a week, on different days to the bodyweight workouts.

3. Maintain an overall calorie deficit every day, via a combination of healthy eating and exercise.

(The main challenge will probably be the fact that I go on holiday to Spain on Wednesday, so working out there and eating healthy are going to be a real test of willpower!)

Motivation: I am tired of being timid, and living within my limited "comfort zone". I aspire to be the best version of myself that I can be. I want to have the body and the mental strength to pursue my goals, climb mountains and prove to myself that I am capable of so much more than I currently believe I can do. 

Okay, I think that's it. I'm not entirely clear on the attribute stats at the moment, but when I figure that out I'll put them as my rewards for the 3 week and 6 week milestones. :)

• Like 2

Rangers Gonna Ranger

Current Challenge: The Adventures of Rhovaniel: Vol I

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25

2021 Quests:

Run 3 Laps of Oblivion| Run and Complete Man vs Lakes | Achieve a full pull up| Achieve 10+ unbroken push ups| Write 90,000+ words of a novel (0/90,000)| Read at least 20 books (4/20)

i don't think you're timid and one to remain in your comfort zone - someone who is travelling across an ocean to explore a new world even for a few weeks is not any of those things :D

You might notice that someone has added a tag to your post.  This is not to box you into a corner but rather because your goals or lifestyle have links to the guild you've been tagged and we'd like to bring you to the attention of one of their guild ambassadors. These ambassadors will be able to offer you advice, encouragement and support on your goals.  You don't even have to wait around for them to come introduce themselves to you, you are more than welcome to pop into the Rangers' board and introduce yourself to the guildies there. I am also around to answer any questions that you might have so do not hesitate to PM me.

Good Luck with your challenge

AB xx

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

Thanks so much for the support! I can honestly say that I'm looking forward to this. Blaidd, as much as I'd love to claim I was an intrepid explorer in a new country, but in truth it's more of a family holiday with my Dad's side of the family, kids included :) The concept of me working out will be alien to them though, so I guess that's something of a brave step! 

Thanks for the link to the Rangers Guild: I've been hovering between which one I thought I fit better into, Rangers or Assassin. Definitely going to check them out!

Feowyn (great name, by the way) your quote is amazing. I'm hoping I get to discover what I'm capable of along the way!

Rangers Gonna Ranger

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25

2021 Quests:

Run 3 Laps of Oblivion| Run and Complete Man vs Lakes | Achieve a full pull up| Achieve 10+ unbroken push ups| Write 90,000+ words of a novel (0/90,000)| Read at least 20 books (4/20)

Thanks, my real name is very boring, so I picked this one ;)  I got the quote from something my husband said to me one day. I realized I've never really pushed myself (in all kinds of ways) so I really don't know what I can do. As a christian, I believe everyone is made for a purpose and since I may not know what mine is, how could I limit myself?

Lady Feowyn Miread of Eldavar

You have no idea what you're capable of, you didn't create you.

Megathirio Discord- https://discord.gg/kr2YCJM   

Haha, I know that feeling! Alex - or Alexandra - is not the name my parents gave me, but I changed it legally when I turned 16 :)

Anyway, I finally figured out my reward system, BUT I came across an article - I think it was on here - that made me question my goals a little: is it possible to lose weight AND gain strength? I don't want bulk, or large muscles, but I do need to build some muscle, in regards to strengthening/firming up my core and legs. Should I be focusing on one then the other? Little confused, which isn't good since the challenge starts tomorrow!

So, rewards, only to be gained if I complete the whole six weeks:

1. Complete Bodyweight Workout 2 x week: New jacket

2. Run 2 x week: New hiking boots

3. Weight Loss (will adjust this goal if needed): Set of dumbbells (I've currently been practising the dumbbell row part of the BWW with a spare tin of paint :) )

If I manage over three weeks but not the six, I get to put half the money towards the new gear, and earn the other half in subsequent weeks or challenges!

• Like 1

Rangers Gonna Ranger

2021 Quests:

You captured my attention straight away with...

I also love fell walking and being outdoors, so I'd like to improve my strength and stamina to explore the more challenging fells in the Lake District, maybe one day (not at the end of the six weeks) complete the three peaks challenge. (Ben Nevis, Snowdon and Scafell Pike). I'm a huge Lord of the Rings fan, so the idea of walking across mountains and wandering in the great outdoors is very appealing!

...as another avid fan of the Tolkien world, I've taken a huge interest in the outdoors and meandering about in them.  Aragorn has been an inspiration of sorts for me, getting me out and about in the wilderness, and embracing the learning of survival skills and whatnot to ease my way through the wilds.  It was definitely the primary motivation that lead me to joining the Rangers here.

Main Quest: Lose at least six lbs (roughly one a week), whilst gaining strength.

Specific Goals:

1. Complete the beginner bodyweight workout twice a week

2. Go for a run twice a week, on different days to the bodyweight workouts.

3. Maintain an overall calorie deficit every day, via a combination of healthy eating and exercise.

(The main challenge will probably be the fact that I go on holiday to Spain on Wednesday, so working out there and eating healthy are going to be a real test of willpower!)

Motivation: I am tired of being timid, and living within my limited "comfort zone". I aspire to be the best version of myself that I can be. I want to have the body and the mental strength to pursue my goals, climb mountains and prove to myself that I am capable of so much more than I currently believe I can do. 

Okay, I think that's it. I'm not entirely clear on the attribute stats at the moment, but when I figure that out I'll put them as my rewards for the 3 week and 6 week milestones. :)

Breaking out of your comfort zone might be one of the toughest things you will ever do... but it can also be the most rewarding.  The world opens up and there is so much to try and do when your mind is open to all sorts of activities.  I can relate because I am a recovering couch addict who is really only starting to live my life now than I'm in my late twenties.

You have some very reasonable and attainable goals, so I can't offer much advice there.  The only point I would touch on is some level of accountability.  Basically an interest in how you intend to weigh the success or failure of your goals.

Anyway, I finally figured out my reward system, BUT I came across an article - I think it was on here - that made me question my goals a little: is it possible to lose weight AND gain strength? I don't want bulk, or large muscles, but I do need to build some muscle, in regards to strengthening/firming up my core and legs. Should I be focusing on one then the other? Little confused, which isn't good since the challenge starts tomorrow!

So, rewards, only to be gained if I complete the whole six weeks:

1. Complete Bodyweight Workout 2 x week: New jacket

2. Run 2 x week: New hiking boots

3. Weight Loss (will adjust this goal if needed): Set of dumbbells (I've currently been practising the dumbbell row part of the BWW with a spare tin of paint :) )

If I manage over three weeks but not the six, I get to put half the money towards the new gear, and earn the other half in subsequent weeks or challenges!

I love the rewards system.  That has been a critical part of my past challenges' success.  I've ran my challenges like an RPG where leveling up at the end comes with the added bonus of new gear or equipment.  This challenge is survival-themed with Tomb Raider inspiration, so I'm looking a purchasing a high quality pair of adventuring cargo pants that I've always wanted but was concerned about having a static waist size so that I wouldn't grow out of them.

BUT I came across an article - I think it was on here - that made me question my goals a little: is it possible to lose weight AND gain strength? I don't want bulk, or large muscles, but I do need to build some muscle, in regards to strengthening/firming up my core and legs. Should I be focusing on one then the other? Little confused, which isn't good since the challenge starts tomorrow!

You certainly can lose weight and gain strength at the same time.  By committing to a strength training program you will naturally start to grow stronger so long as you are consistent, fuel your body sufficiently, and allow yourself adequate rest time.  It really is as simple as that.  Weight loss comes as result of maintaining a calorie deficit through the combined efforts of your nutrition and exercise routine.  The real kicker is trying to lose weight and gain muscle which can be done but is extremely difficult due to your body being fundamentally at odds while trying to perform two conflicting processes.

You've got an excellent start there.  I look forward to seeing you crush this challenge!

[ Level ?? ] Thunderbro Maximus of the Thunderlords Legion

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

A lot of people focus on weight loss first then building up muscle, but you can do both. Strength training actually helps with the weight loss anyway, so no matter what, you win. It is tremendously difficult for a women to really "bulk up". It won't happen if that's not what your trying to do. You can definitely build strength and still have a healthy, feminine figure. I love how you've set up your rewards. Can't wait to see what you get.

Thanks! Rurik, I definitely know where you're coming from: Aragorn is a huge inspiration, as well as Faramir, but I do feel the need for a feminine role model to draw from. Eowyn I identify with as someone desperate to break free of the path set down for her, but then she marries Faramir and settles down... Maybe I should look at Lara Croft

In terms of accountability, my boyfriend is supportive in words, but not willing to work out with me, and the rest of my family are just getting up from the floor when I told them I was going to start working out regularly. So, I guess here is my accountability! I intend to post weekly updates on here to hold myself to account for them. That said, feel a little proud I was able to get up at 3:30 today to complete the BWW before catching my morning flight to Spain! Thank you so much for your encouragement. I read your journal posts; keep it up, they're awesome! I'm slowly transitioning to Paleo, but cutting out grains is tough (I used to be vegetarian).

I too can't wait to power through this challenge! My boots need replacing, so every time I put them on I remind myself I can have a new pair if I keep it up! Thanks for the reassurance Feowyn. I tend to overthink things massively, leading to unnessasary panic!

How are your challenges going?

• Like 2

Rangers Gonna Ranger

2021 Quests:

Thanks! Rurik, I definitely know where you're coming from: Aragorn is a huge inspiration, as well as Faramir, but I do feel the need for a feminine role model to draw from. Eowyn I identify with as someone desperate to break free of the path set down for her, but then she marries Faramir and settles down... Maybe I should look at Lara Croft

In terms of accountability, my boyfriend is supportive in words, but not willing to work out with me, and the rest of my family are just getting up from the floor when I told them I was going to start working out regularly. So, I guess here is my accountability! I intend to post weekly updates on here to hold myself to account for them. That said, feel a little proud I was able to get up at 3:30 today to complete the BWW before catching my morning flight to Spain! Thank you so much for your encouragement. I read your journal posts; keep it up, they're awesome! I'm slowly transitioning to Paleo, but cutting out grains is tough (I used to be vegetarian).

I freely identify with role models and heroes of either gender.  At the moment the most striking of influences for me is Lara Croft from the latest Tomb Raider game, specifically the mental toughness, survivor's instincts, and her never-say-die attitude have really resonated with me and have carried over into my exercise routines.  Mental toughness is something I struggle with and yet it is a huge component of CrossFit.  So I have good days and bad.  Yesterday for example was one of the toughest workouts I've had in the seven months that I've been doing this... at one point I found myself asking, "What would Lara do?"

Accountability is a funny thing.  I'm not necessarily the most internally motivated of folks and while I have the support of my girlfriend and family, I don't really have their encouragement.  They definitely aren't forcing me out the door to my workouts and/or going out of their way to keep me eating healthy.  That's all on my shoulders.  So while we may lie to ourselves or our friends from time to time, early on I forced myself to always hold myself accountable and honest here.  So if I dramatically go over my calories, or skip a workout, or am enduring some defeatist thoughts that day, I talk about it here.  That way I'm always identifying my self-talk and always accountable to someone.  It's been a huge help along the way!

• Like 1

Challenges1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

I hope this is okay, but I have to temporarily change one of my goals. I had planned to run twice a week out here in Spain but after my first run, I noticed two things: one, an old ankle injury (I sprained ligaments on a trampoline when I was about 16) means that ankle is weaker and turns easily and secondly, the only paths to run on out here are stoney and uneven. (There are beautiful mountains all around) Instead, I am going to swim 50 lengths of the pool at the villa I'm staying in. I would say twice a week, but I'm in the pool at every opportunity at the moment! I think, so long as I do 50 lengths at least twice, I should be able to count that as a valid substitute. 

Otherwise, all is well. I managed to complete both BWW, and I'm thinking of adding a third since I feel absolutely fine. 

Once again, thanks for the support! NerdFitness is already changing my life, and I feel fantastic for it!

• Like 1

Rangers Gonna Ranger

2021 Quests:

It is so so beautiful here, it makes me kinda sad that I leave for Madrid tomorrow. The swimming felt really good as a substitute, but in Madrid there's a few good parks to run in :)

Yesterday, I decided to put my words into action, and step outside my comfort zone. No one wanted to go walking in the hills around here,  so I decided to be brave and go alone. (I made sure I had adequate supplies of water, sunscreen and a working phone to check in with people, don't worry!) It was amazing. The paths are so easy to follow, steep enough to make you feel the effort, but not enough to feel dangerous at all. I loved it, and knowing I did it on my own, without relying on someone else to say where we should go or choose the route for us felt like a pretty big step forward for me. Week two of the challenge and I feel stronger than ever!

• Like 1

Rangers Gonna Ranger

2021 Quests:

It is so so beautiful here, it makes me kinda sad that I leave for Madrid tomorrow. The swimming felt really good as a substitute, but in Madrid there's a few good parks to run in :)

Pictures or it didn't happen!

Yesterday, I decided to put my words into action, and step outside my comfort zone. No one wanted to go walking in the hills around here,  so I decided to be brave and go alone. (I made sure I had adequate supplies of water, sunscreen and a working phone to check in with people, don't worry!) It was amazing. The paths are so easy to follow, steep enough to make you feel the effort, but not enough to feel dangerous at all. I loved it, and knowing I did it on my own, without relying on someone else to say where we should go or choose the route for us felt like a pretty big step forward for me. Week two of the challenge and I feel stronger than ever!

Good for you.  I'm usually the loner who goes off exploring in the wilderness when all others stay indoors or keep to the path more traveled.  I bet you channeled some of your inner Aragorn, didn't you?  I love getting my Ranger on!

3702789-aragorn.gif

• Like 1

it was amazing, and I fully INTENDED to post my pictures on here today. Until I got to Madrid and had my bag stolen, five minutes off the Metro! Purse, money, bank cards and phone with all my holiday snaps! Not a good day, but I channelled my inner Aragorn alright, both on the hills and today. I just kept thinking of his quote at the end of the Fellowship: "Leave all that can be spared behind." Sure, it completely ruined my day. But the Spanish police are friendly, if a little intimidating, and thankfully my boyfriend is fluent in Spanish! Cards all cancelled and everything, so hopefully caught it in time before ID fraudsters, etc. get their hands on my details. Sorry Rurik, gonna have to take my word on that one. But next time, definitely. 

Still, life happens. it was a challenge, but I rose to it as best I could. And it won't get in the way of living my life. Think a workout is in order to de-stress!

• Like 1

Rangers Gonna Ranger

2021 Quests:

Oh no! I totally would have let that ruin my entire trip, but you apparently have super hero positivity. Will you be my friend? lol   Hopefully it won't be too much of a mess for you to straighten out and you won't have any more issues.

• Like 1

Thanks, Feowyn, that's high praise indeed! I felt a bit shaken at first, but channelling my inner ranger did actually help! There is absolutely nothing else I can do to get my bag or belongings back, but I certainly didn't want it to ruin the part of the trip I most looked forward to! It helped, too, that my sister gave me some euros till I get back (she says she doesn't want them back, but she's getting paid back anyway!) so I didn't feel completely without funds except for that first day!

Going home today. I'm kinda sad, because I love love love Madrid, perhaps even more than London (yes, I know a former Londoner should NEVER say that lol) but I am looking forward to getting back and sorting out everything else I still need to do (like order a new driver's licence). What happened to the times when having a bag snatched only meant loss of the actual contents? *sigh*

• Like 1

Rangers Gonna Ranger

2021 Quests:

it was amazing, and I fully INTENDED to post my pictures on here today. Until I got to Madrid and had my bag stolen, five minutes off the Metro! Purse, money, bank cards and phone with all my holiday snaps! Not a good day, but I channelled my inner Aragorn alright, both on the hills and today. I just kept thinking of his quote at the end of the Fellowship: "Leave all that can be spared behind." Sure, it completely ruined my day. But the Spanish police are friendly, if a little intimidating, and thankfully my boyfriend is fluent in Spanish! Cards all cancelled and everything, so hopefully caught it in time before ID fraudsters, etc. get their hands on my details. Sorry Rurik, gonna have to take my word on that one. But next time, definitely. 

Still, life happens. it was a challenge, but I rose to it as best I could. And it won't get in the way of living my life. Think a workout is in order to de-stress!

Thanks, Feowyn, that's high praise indeed! I felt a bit shaken at first, but channelling my inner ranger did actually help! There is absolutely nothing else I can do to get my bag or belongings back, but I certainly didn't want it to ruin the part of the trip I most looked forward to! It helped, too, that my sister gave me some euros till I get back (she says she doesn't want them back, but she's getting paid back anyway!) so I didn't feel completely without funds except for that first day!

Going home today. I'm kinda sad, because I love love love Madrid, perhaps even more than London (yes, I know a former Londoner should NEVER say that lol) but I am looking forward to getting back and sorting out everything else I still need to do (like order a new driver's licence). What happened to the times when having a bag snatched only meant loss of the actual contents? *sigh*

Ouch, that's rough... sorry to hear about your holiday mishaps.  But it sounds like you handled the misfortune in stride and took charge over negative self-talk and emotions to channel those feelings into something productive and beneficial.  I could take some inspiration from you when I'm having a rough day, even if it doesn't rank up there with yours.

I'm seriously amazed and impressed with your lesson in composure in the face of adversity.

• Like 1

But it sounds like you handled the misfortune in stride and took charge over negative self-talk and emotions to channel those feelings into something productive and beneficial.  I could take some inspiration from you when I'm having a rough day, even if it doesn't rank up there with yours.

Wow.. high praise indeed, Rurik! I must admit, I'm kinda amazed at myself, that I managed to move on and ride out the rough patch. In a way, it's good that I had this experience, to show myself how far I've already come. If this had happened six months ago, I'm not sure I'd have handled it with such composure.

Anyway.. back to the challenge! I am starting to truly love my workouts. Who knew that being dripping with sweat and pushing yourself harder than ever before could get addictive? The runs... less so. But I put them in my challenge, so I'm gonna stick at 'em! Might need an alternative on non strength workout days for the next challenge tho! It's a shame I live in a pretty flat area, no hills to climb :(  Both my workouts are done for this week, with runs planned for tomorrow and sunday.

I'm not weighing myself till the end of the challenge, since keeping up with the healthy eating and exercise is my main focus, so I've no idea yet how I'm doing on that. Things are heading in the right direction though! I perhaps indulged a little too much in Madrid (Haagen Daas restaurant five minutes from the apartment was always going to test my willpower beyond normal temptations!) but I've decided to plunge into Paleo. It's hard to know what to eat at first, but I'll get there. I'm certainly eating less with it!

Once again, thanks for all your support, it really does help, and keeps me motivated!

• Like 1

Rangers Gonna Ranger

2021 Quests:

Eating Paleo in the UK is harder than I thought! Even finding something like Almond butter isn't easy. Gave up in the supermarket and had a peek in Holland and Barrett. Paradise! Almond butter, coconut flour, almond flour and coconut oil all purchased and ready to go! It's expensive, but I just have to remind myself of the savings I get from not buying Haagen Daas, pizza and my personal weakness, chocolate! Truly helpful staff too, something I don't see often in most places.

One thing that's been itching at my mind is a desire to try other things, and learn more "outdoorsy" skills. I mean, it's one thing to go walking the countryside following published guides. It's another thing entirely to be able to read a map and find your position in it, or look at the ground and be able to tell roughly what else has walked that way (humans or animals). I think maybe it's something I'll incorporate into the next challenge, but does anyone have any ideas of where to start, what sites or books are best to look at? Thanks in advance!

Rangers Gonna Ranger

2021 Quests:

Unfortunately I missed out on the whole scouts and girl guides thing when I was a kid. I had a brief look online but there's too much information, and too many different websites that I got a little bewildered. Next stop is the library, but I'm not sure what I'll find there! Most libraries now, unfortunately, are in decline and they rarely get in new books now. I know. The state of libraries in the UK saddens my heart. I had so many great memories of my grandma taking me and my sister to choose our books every week. That library has been converted into apartments now

Anyway, it's been a few days so I think an update is in order. I joined Karate, more for something to do with other people than anything else. It seems pretty fun, and I'm hoping it'll help my balance which is currently terrible. Bit awkward when the class has loads of super flexible little kids in it

Bodyweight workouts are still fun, though I sometimes worry about form, and if I'm doing it right. Running.... Ugh. I missed one last week, but I'm going to get straight back into it. It's annoying, because I have to remember to take my inhaler ten minutes before I go, so I can't just grab my trainers and run. I'm not keen still, but I have to remind myself that rangers like Aragorn didn't just stroll to a destination. If need takes them, or orcs take their halfling companions, they run. It's nerdy, but it keeps me running, mostly.

Rangers Gonna Ranger

2021 Quests: