Mark D Gets Back on the Horse that Threw Him

Mark D

Well, last challenge I fell flat on my face, sidelined by problems that required something between Preparations G and I.  I wanted to get that cleared up before I got under a heavy barbell again, and things seem to be looking better, so I'm going to get back into it.

My last workout was on June 21.  I didn't eat TOO badly during that time, so I don't think I gained back too much fat.  Hey, I'll take what I can get.

My plan is best described as "more of the same", I'm deloading my squats and deadlifts (not as far as the app recommends, I see no reason to cut the weight in half.  I'm dropping them 20 pounds each).  I'm leaving the OHP, bench and rows alone for now, if I fail I'll deload.  

Before I was sidelined I had lots of problems with just being worn out after a workout, I suspect my age is a factor (I'm 52).  So I'm scaling back Stronglifts to twice a week (Wednesday and Saturday), Monday's workout will be accessory workouts.  Not entirely sure what that will entail, but mostly upper body since that's where I've had problems.  I'm thinking OHP, rows, curls with either dumbbells or lighter, fixed-weight barbells and higher reps.  Maybe some sort of complex.

Wednesday and Saturday will work well for me because that means I can always deadlift on Saturday, when I can get more rest over the weekend.  Deadlifts especially seemed to wear me out, more than rows.  Deadlifting and going to work was a bit of a suck.

Secondary challenge will be getting my eating back on track.  I haven't done terrible, but not as good as I'd like.  There's been bread, and there's been more beer than there had been.  

Tertiary challenge will be to help my wife.  She wants to lose weight, and everything she's tried has failed.  She was doing complexes for a while, was getting a great workout from them, but hadn't lost any weight or size.  I've suggested that she track her eating more closely than she had been, since she seems to have gotten the idea that she can eat what she wants as long as what she eats is healthy.  Sorry, if you eat a lot of grilled salmon and chicken, you're not going to lose weight.

I'll be recording my workouts in my battle log, found in the sig.  

• Like 2

Following to see how you go this Challenge.

I moved on from Stronglifts after 12 months, starting Madcow, which can be found on the Stronlifts site. You don't constantly add weight and lift heavy only one day a week, with the last day being lighter than the previous heavy. I'm hoping this will elliviate the recovery issue.

Good Luck with your Challenge.

Wait! What............?

SevenofSeven,

Thanks for the well wishes.  I've looked at Madcow, but thought I should stick with a beginner program, I only started last April.  

Got to the gym on Saturday for the first time in a month, did Stronglifts B (squats, OHP and deadlift).  I deloaded but probably not enough, and I can report that DOMS are a thing.  Did my accessory dumb bell complex this morning, so we'll see how my arms feel tomorrow.

Well so far so good.  Workout B (Squats, OHP and Deadlifts) the last two Saturdays, accessory (dumb bell curls, presses, rows and tricep kickbacks) on Mondays, Workout A (squats, bench and rows) last Wednesday and planned for this Wednesday.

I deloaded some more last Saturday to try to keep the DOMS under control, last time I could barely move on Sunday, this week I'm better.  I'll work my way back up.  

Eating has been a mixed bag, mostly good with a few "Oh my God I shouldn't have eaten that!" events.  Most of the shouldn't eat stuff is now out of the house though, and my wife says she's not buying more.

Speaking of my wife, she still doesn't know what she wants to do.  She tried doing dumb bell complexes for a month, without losing a pound or an inch.  She says she knows what she eats and it's not bad.  I suspect two things:  she's eating more than she thinks, or at least she thinks she can eat more than she can, and she wasn't using enough weight when she was doing the complexes.  I keep stressing to her that if she wants to lose fat, she has to eat less and push her muscles, otherwise she'll lose muscle and not fat (or at least lose comparable amounts of both).  

Also of note, the knee sleeves and belt have worked well for me.  My knees no longer sound like someone is crushing gravel when I squat, and the belt helps me get, and stay, tight.

• Like 2

Tell her that fat loss ONLY happens when you eat 90% perfectly clean and the right calories (IIFYM has a good calculator) if you dont lift heavy. So why is she putting in the effort just to have it not be enough bc of not enough weight and/or undo it with her fork. Weight loss HAS to have a calorie deficit, it doesnt matter if you eat perfect, if you eat too much you wont lose. She is obviously able to maintain with what she is doing, but she would be losing on grilled salmon and grilled chicken if she was eating at a deficit. Is she of the "I dont want to be bulky or have to eat low fat" mindset? Point her to Staci's stuff on the blog (I'll find it if you need me to) 

Druid Assassin Halfling

:) Druid Ambassador :)

Level 16, Current Quest: Bekah Returns

Spoiler

Your life does not get better by chance. It gets better by change.

- Jim Rohn

Tell her that fat loss ONLY happens when you eat 90% perfectly clean and the right calories (IIFYM has a good calculator) if you dont lift heavy. So why is she putting in the effort just to have it not be enough bc of not enough weight and/or undo it with her fork. Weight loss HAS to have a calorie deficit, it doesnt matter if you eat perfect, if you eat too much you wont lose. She is obviously able to maintain with what she is doing, but she would be losing on grilled salmon and grilled chicken if she was eating at a deficit. Is she of the "I dont want to be bulky or have to eat low fat" mindset? Point her to Staci's stuff on the blog (I'll find it if you need me to) 

Bekah: If someone pulled up my browsing history they'd think I have a crush on Staci from the number of times I've been to her stuff here.  

I think part of it is decades of being told that women have to do cardio to lose weight.  I try to point out that she's MORE worn out after a session of dumbbell complexes than she EVER was from riding the elliptical, which shows that she's getting a heck of a workout even if she's not making like a hamster on a wheel.

There are a couple other things at play too.  First she compares herself to me and what I eat.  I'm MUCH bigger than her (even if I were in shape I'd have quite a few pounds on her, and if we were both in shape I'd have probably 60 lbs on her easily).  I'm much more active than her on a daily basis, I walk a lot as part of my daily commute via public transportation (she drives to work).  So if we have the same amount of food for dinner I'm at a calorie deficit and she's at a surplus.  I just require more calories to keep myself going than she does, both from a baseline and from my general activity level.

As a for-instance, we both have fitbits.  My typical daily walking is about three times what hers is, without me doing anything extra (in other words just the walking I do as a normal part of my day, commuting etc).  Her baseline is about 2K steps a day, mine is about 6k.  So I get over 10K if I go for an extra walk at lunchtime.  

She understands that she won't get bulky from lifting.  I also think part of her problem with lifting is that she doesn't realize how much she can lift, so she doesn't realize how much she HAS to lift to get stronger.  I've tried to tell her than if she can complete 10 reps in a set and still have something elft in the tank she's not lifting heavy enough, if she can't complete five reps she's going too heavy.  I think she loses it at the line of "Wow, this is hard" as opposed to "I just can't do another rep."  Of course it's the reps you do between "This is hard" and "I'm not capable of doing another" that do all the good.  Plus it feels good when you just can't DO another rep, but then you dig down and find something you didn't know you had and DO another.  (I found this especially helpful in bench press, where the alternative to doing one more rep is calling for help, dumping the plates, doing the roll of shame, or getting stuck under the bar.)  

She also gets discouraged at lack of results.  Being a woman, she may well have lost a couple pounds of fat and gained a couple of water, so neither the scale nor the fit of her clothes show a difference, but that doesn't mean she's not accomplishing anything,  I get it though, it's easy to ask why she's getting up at zero-dark-thirty to throw dumb bells around when she's not making any progress. 

I've tried to get her to join my gym and do barbells with me, because at least adding weight to the barbell is progress.  At least you can say "I lifted more today than last time, and today I lifted a weight for a warm up that was a struggle for a work weight two weeks ago, so I'm stronger now than I was then, and that's progress."  

• Like 2

Bekah: If someone pulled up my browsing history they'd think I have a crush on Staci from the number of times I've been to her stuff here.  

I think part of it is decades of being told that women have to do cardio to lose weight.  I try to point out that she's MORE worn out after a session of dumbbell complexes than she EVER was from riding the elliptical, which shows that she's getting a heck of a workout even if she's not making like a hamster on a wheel.

There are a couple other things at play too.  First she compares herself to me and what I eat.  I'm MUCH bigger than her (even if I were in shape I'd have quite a few pounds on her, and if we were both in shape I'd have probably 60 lbs on her easily).  I'm much more active than her on a daily basis, I walk a lot as part of my daily commute via public transportation (she drives to work).  So if we have the same amount of food for dinner I'm at a calorie deficit and she's at a surplus.  I just require more calories to keep myself going than she does, both from a baseline and from my general activity level.

As a for-instance, we both have fitbits.  My typical daily walking is about three times what hers is, without me doing anything extra (in other words just the walking I do as a normal part of my day, commuting etc).  Her baseline is about 2K steps a day, mine is about 6k.  So I get over 10K if I go for an extra walk at lunchtime.  

She understands that she won't get bulky from lifting.  I also think part of her problem with lifting is that she doesn't realize how much she can lift, so she doesn't realize how much she HAS to lift to get stronger.  I've tried to tell her than if she can complete 10 reps in a set and still have something elft in the tank she's not lifting heavy enough, if she can't complete five reps she's going too heavy.  I think she loses it at the line of "Wow, this is hard" as opposed to "I just can't do another rep."  Of course it's the reps you do between "This is hard" and "I'm not capable of doing another" that do all the good.  Plus it feels good when you just can't DO another rep, but then you dig down and find something you didn't know you had and DO another.  (I found this especially helpful in bench press, where the alternative to doing one more rep is calling for help, dumping the plates, doing the roll of shame, or getting stuck under the bar.)  

She also gets discouraged at lack of results.  Being a woman, she may well have lost a couple pounds of fat and gained a couple of water, so neither the scale nor the fit of her clothes show a difference, but that doesn't mean she's not accomplishing anything,  I get it though, it's easy to ask why she's getting up at zero-dark-thirty to throw dumb bells around when she's not making any progress. 

I've tried to get her to join my gym and do barbells with me, because at least adding weight to the barbell is progress.  At least you can say "I lifted more today than last time, and today I lifted a weight for a warm up that was a struggle for a work weight two weeks ago, so I'm stronger now than I was then, and that's progress."  

and you can get micro plates or add ons for really small increases if she needs to go super slow (for her brain to catch up) 

ok so you clearly get the problem, she just has to get on board. Good luck with that ;) 

Druid Assassin Halfling

:) Druid Ambassador :)

Level 16, Current Quest: Bekah Returns

Spoiler

Your life does not get better by chance. It gets better by change.

- Jim Rohn

As an older.........eh hem, more mature Lady, can I say starting lifting has been the best thing I ever did. Too bad I'm not just down the road, because I need a gym buddy and would quite happily take your wife to lift heavy.

I have noticed on the boards that sometimes partners and spouses get a little intimidated by their loved ones lifting if they come into the program after you have already started. They look at what we do and think that is where they should be, my sons were the same, although their teenage testosterone brain may have helped with that too. They sometimes forget it has taken more than a month to get here.

I have changed little in shape and I am still a little squishy on the outside, but when I walk my legs don't wobble anymore and my bingo wings are practically non existent, I know my core is solid and as I approach the twilight years I am happy in the knowledge my bones will be less likely to get brittle and break if I have a fall. All positives for lifting at my age.

Good luck with the wife MarkD, and yes Bekah was right as were you, you can't outrun your fork.

• Like 1

Wait! What............?

This morning I suggested to my wife (again) that she join the gym with me and get under a barbell.  She didn't seem to care for the idea, she STILL thinks cardio is the way to go.  I can lead my wife to the power rack, but I can't make her squat.

On the other hand (where I have different fingers) I've been back to the gym as scheduled (accessory work on Monday, Stronglifts on Wednesday and Saturday).  The weights are increasing apace (after deloading from my time off).  The lighter schedule seems to help, especially the longer rest after deadlift day.

I gave the Doggcrapp mini-challenge a try this morning, the weights were too low so I did too many reps, but I'd rather start light and work up.

• Like 1

Oh, hey, my challenge thread is still here.  Whaddaya know.

I've been keeping my battle log up to date, but thought I should update the challenge too.

Except for missing two workouts last week (just too tired), I've good with my new workout schedule.  I've been doing the Doggcrapp mini-challenge on Monday (OHP and curls,currently with a 50 pound barbell), Stronglifts A on Monday and SL B on Saturday.

Eating hasn't been too bad, lots of meats and veggies.

Helping the wife hasn't worked too well, but I'm there when she's ready, that's all I can do.

So, since last October I've lost 44 pounds.  Measuring the holes in my belt I've lost about four inches off my waist, and I'm probably due to punch a new hole.  I should probably buy a new belt, the tip of this one reaches nearly to the side belt-loop, but I like having the visual reminder of how much I've lost.  My wife noted the other night that you can actually see the muscles in my legs now, and a number of people have commented on how much weight I've lost.  

Oh, what I said above about my level of daily activity?  Yesterday I decided to count the stairs I take on my morning commute.  Two of the three trains I take every morning are underground (the Path train, basically a subway between NJ and NYC) and the NYC subway.  I take the Path to the World Trade Center station, go up the stairs (I used to take the escalator), then descend into the subway and when I arrive at my destination I again use the stairs instead of the escalator.  So from underground to street level at the end of my Path ride is 102 steps up stairs, then at the subway it's another 78.  So 180 steps climbed each morning, or roughly 12 flights of stairs (13 steps/flight being pretty common, but I'll call it 15).  

I'll be on vacation next week, so I'm not sure if there will be gym.  If nothing else I'll keep up some body weight exercise to keep the DOMS at bay when I get back.

So the end of another challenge.

So except for the last two weeks, last week I was on vacation and the week before I was too worn out from getting all the stuff done prior to vacation, I've been going to the gym as scheduled (including yesteday).

Eating hasn't been bad (except for the week on vacation, but I'm back on my usual eating plan now).  

My wife is beginning the Maker's Diet again.  She's also asked me to "coach" her in both eating an exercising.  I just need to get her to stop "Yes, but"ing me when I suggest something.  

I've been giving consideration to the next six-week challenge too.  I think it'll include not only fitness goals, but some other life level-ups.  Things I'm over due for, or things I've wanted for some time but never took the time/effort/money to make happen.

See everyone at the next challenge!

My wife is beginning the Maker's Diet again.  She's also asked me to "coach" her in both eating an exercising.  I just need to get her to stop "Yes, but"ing me when I suggest something.  

hmm....now that's a challenge.

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker