EricMN's Jedi Training - Return of the Jedi

EricMN

Midweek Update

There's just too much awesome happening in this NF Challenge and the Ranger world in general and I cannot. Keep. Up. This. Thread. It's a good thing that this is Taper Week for the Spartan Super and Sprint I'm doing in Illinois this weekend. I wish I was a bit more prepared for the race - I feel like I've been really slacking, and the shoulder injury has really sapped my upper-body strength, but with the hills and trail running I've done over the last several months, I should be at least as prepared for this as I was in Vegas. We'll see how it goes.

Screen-Shot-2014-07-22-at-1.54.29-pm-676
I need an X-wing to commute to work. That would add a few minutes to my day. Although finding parking would be a challenge.

Monday

I rocked Monday's butt. Monday was CrossFit followed by a 3+ mile trail run. I haven't got both ends of that back-to-back done in quite a while.

20150810_SkyFit.jpg

I have not missed renegade row push-ups.

Amy was subbing in for Tracy at CrossFit and she has a bit different style, but she did a good job of keeping up tempo. It felt good to be back doing some decent weight training for the first time in a while. I went light on the OHP and then foam-rolled the hell out of my shoulder aferward and survived. I made it through the second set of 8 reps before time ran out.

And it felt GOOD to get out on the trail after working out again. I was soaked through and nearly tapped out but nothing like the previous weekend. Obviously I learned my lesson on fueling.

Oh, and I Rangered the hell out of dinner:

20150810_RangerDinner.jpg

Yes. That says "Elk'. Step up your Ranger Dinner game, y'all.

20150810_Noms.jpg

Glorious food. Butt-ugly plate.

For the record, Elk tastes like beef, but very, very rich. It reminded me a lot of Bison, although it was not the same. Pair one half-pound burger it with an entire 4-cup bag of Steamfresh veggies and you've got a great post-workout dinner. I slept like... well, better than I normally do.

15 minutes of prayer time during the morning.

Calories: 1817
Protein: 154
Carbs: 120
Fiber: 44

Tuesday

Mostly a rest day. However, after our traditional Dad and Small Monsties dinner at our pizza place, The Pink Princess and I went to the park to find the archery range empty, and I tried out my new DIY Spartan Training toy, my homemade spear. I am right handed. Trying to throw it with my shoulder in its current condition was... challenging. Sort of like there was ground-up glass in there or something. I didn't try twice. Instead, I switched to my left hand.

20150811_Spear_Lefty1.jpg
20150811_Spear_Lefty2.jpg
20150811_Spear_Lefty3.jpg

I wound up with maybe half a dozen hits in several dozen throws, all left-handed, and none of them made me want to see stars. Not a bad rest day. Nutrition was weak but within tolerances.

Calories: 2181
Protein: 163
Carbs: 152
Fiber: 49

Meditation fail. Need to do better.

Wednesday

This evening the kids and I went to the park. It's one of those big aluminum-and-plastic things but sort of on steroids. It's got three separate monkey bars - two of which I can do without having to worry about bending my knees so I don't scrape the ground - and a set of ring handles. I did half an hour on these suckers in preparation for this weekend. The Boy was supposed to take pictures (or video, since I am a Ranger), but he didn't. Don't know what he was doing with my phone the whole time. 

Meditation win today; 20 minutes of prayer and meditation.

Carbs were pretty high today. I feel bloaty.

Calories: 2046
Protein: 169
Carbs: 223
Fiber: 42

I'm going to go run right now, 2 miles of moderate pace.

Also, Ed and I are talking about some sort of stupidity for this weekend that I will not divulge at this point but that may put the Old Man back in the ranks of "Hey, look, he's Rangering again."

• Like 4

Rebel Scum - Current Challenge - Battle Log - Epic Quest

Mmmmmmmmmm. Elk. *drool* I love elk; unfortunately its rare where I live - and even harder to find cooked properly.

Good going on the non dominant hand spear throwing; those are some decent odds going into the event.

I'm intrigued about weekend stupidity ... hopefully it's scheduled for *after* the Spartan. *cough**shoulder*

• Like 1

Level 83 Wood Elf Druid

Druid: || 59 | 60 | 61 | 61.5 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 ||

Ranger: || 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 ||

||Char/RPG||
STR: 57 || DEX: 59 || STA: 52 || CON: 47 || WIS: 59 || CHA: 59

Midweek Update

There's just too much awesome happening in this NF Challenge and the Ranger world in general and I cannot. Keep. Up. This. Thread. It's a good thing that this is Taper Week for the Spartan Super and Sprint I'm doing in Illinois this weekend. I wish I was a bit more prepared for the race - I feel like I've been really slacking, and the shoulder injury has really sapped my upper-body strength, but with the hills and trail running I've done over the last several months, I should be at least as prepared for this as I was in Vegas. We'll see how it goes.

Screen-Shot-2014-07-22-at-1.54.29-pm-676

I need an X-wing to commute to work. That would add a few minutes to my day. Although finding parking would be a challenge.

Monday

I rocked Monday's butt. Monday was CrossFit followed by a 3+ mile trail run. I haven't got both ends of that back-to-back done in quite a while.

20150810_SkyFit.jpg

I have not missed renegade row push-ups.

Amy was subbing in for Tracy at CrossFit and she has a bit different style, but she did a good job of keeping up tempo. It felt good to be back doing some decent weight training for the first time in a while. I went light on the OHP and then foam-rolled the hell out of my shoulder aferward and survived. I made it through the second set of 8 reps before time ran out.

And it felt GOOD to get out on the trail after working out again. I was soaked through and nearly tapped out but nothing like the previous weekend. Obviously I learned my lesson on fueling.

Oh, and I Rangered the hell out of dinner:

20150810_RangerDinner.jpg

Yes. That says "Elk'. Step up your Ranger Dinner game, y'all.

20150810_Noms.jpg

Glorious food. Butt-ugly plate.

For the record, Elk tastes like beef, but very, very rich. It reminded me a lot of Bison, although it was not the same. Pair one half-pound burger it with an entire 4-cup bag of Steamfresh veggies and you've got a great post-workout dinner. I slept like... well, better than I normally do.

15 minutes of prayer time during the morning.

Calories: 1817
Protein: 154
Carbs: 120
Fiber: 44

Tuesday

Mostly a rest day. However, after our traditional Dad and Small Monsties dinner at our pizza place, The Pink Princess and I went to the park to find the archery range empty, and I tried out my new DIY Spartan Training toy, my homemade spear. I am right handed. Trying to throw it with my shoulder in its current condition was... challenging. Sort of like there was ground-up glass in there or something. I didn't try twice. Instead, I switched to my left hand.

20150811_Spear_Lefty1.jpg
20150811_Spear_Lefty2.jpg

20150811_Spear_Lefty3.jpg

I wound up with maybe half a dozen hits in several dozen throws, all left-handed, and none of them made me want to see stars. Not a bad rest day. Nutrition was weak but within tolerances.

Calories: 2181
Protein: 163
Carbs: 152
Fiber: 49

Meditation fail. Need to do better.

Wednesday

This evening the kids and I went to the park. It's one of those big aluminum-and-plastic things but sort of on steroids. It's got three separate monkey bars - two of which I can do without having to worry about bending my knees so I don't scrape the ground - and a set of ring handles. I did half an hour on these suckers in preparation for this weekend. The Boy was supposed to take pictures (or video, since I am a Ranger), but he didn't. Don't know what he was doing with my phone the whole time. 

Meditation win today; 20 minutes of prayer and meditation.

Carbs were pretty high today. I feel bloaty.

Calories: 2046
Protein: 169
Carbs: 223
Fiber: 42

I'm going to go run right now, 2 miles of moderate pace.

Also, Ed and I are talking about some sort of stupidity for this weekend that I will not divulge at this point but that may put the Old Man back in the ranks of "Hey, look, he's Rangering again."

I love elk, or any wild meat. I don't understand people who say it tastes too "gamey" I think they have eaten too many boring chicken breast to know what real food is supposed to taste like.

• Like 2

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

I have had a lot of shoulder pain in the last few months, too. I have the pain factor down to almost non-resistant, but I am having trouble regaining full range of motion. Grrrr. Being injured is so...lame.

Good luck with your Spartan! I can't wait to hear that you

2fe301c051d1c9aee1bb8a0a12f5a47f.jpg

• Like 1

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

Finally found you and caught up on your thread after my moving adventures! You are doing awesome things, as always. I loved your pics and captions in your original post. And I totally think you should get a creepy puppet backpack to run with.

• Like 1

Level 4 Slayer

STR 9 | DEX 7 | STA 6 | CON 9 | WIS 9 | CHA 5

Challenges: Current 4 3 2 1

Battle log

Mantra for 2015: I am here

"Riskless is hardly worth your effort." Seth Godin

Whoo hoo!!!!!!!! Good Luck (not that you need it), and have fun! 

• Like 1

Level 83 Wood Elf Druid

Druid: || 59 | 60 | 61 | 61.5 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 ||

Ranger: || 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 ||

||Char/RPG||

Burpees galore.. I like it sir! And elk burger?? Awesome! I made elk chili one time and it was delish! Good luck at your race [emoji106]ðŸ»[emoji123]ðŸ»! You're gonna skate through with expert rangererity (ranger dexterity)!

Wolf

"Let the Boomstick do the talking."

• Like 1

Wild Wolf

Class: Vigilante/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 178#

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Gotham Project Pt. 2

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Gotham Project: 1

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

I'm late, but have caught up with your thread and will be following form here on.

I'd like to get to the point where I can apply for Ninja warrior too, but hadn't considered breaking down the goals I need to hit over a long term plan.

All the best with your Spartan tomorrow, I look forward to reading about it.

• Like 2

Level - 3               Race - Vampire               Class - Assassin

STR 6 | DEX 7 | STA 5 | CON 4 | WIS 3 | CHA 6

Weight loss ( Highest weight 224lb / Current weight 186.0lb / Goal weight 175lb )

77.6%
77.6%

Current challenge

Battle log

Previous challenges = 2 , 1

One-paragraph update:

It was unbearably hot (heat index over 100 degF) for most of the race, which sapped everyone's strength. They shortened the course to 7.25 miles due to heat. Finished in 3:44, on a course that was significantly more difficult than last year at this same venue - it was all ravines and after rain Friday night, everything was shoe-sucking mud. Lost both shoes in the first quarter-mile and ran the rest of the race with both shoes full of gravel. Failed the spear left-handed, the multi-rig and the rope climb(!). Nailed everything else. Time for victory cheesecake.

• Like 8

That is craziness! Way To Go!!

• Like 1

Level 83 Wood Elf Druid

||Char/RPG||

Second one-paragraph update:

5-mile Spartan Sprint this morning. Just as hot, but a change of wardrobe from Saturday - no jersey today - really helped keep the core temp down. Also, no cramping at all for the first time in like ever. Failed the rope, spear throw and the multi-bars. Nailed everything else. Finished in 2:48. That's right around 13 miles on the weekend in old-people-killing temps.

Actual update tomorrow.

• Like 8

That is amazing, and inspiring! Can't wait to read the full report!

• Like 2

Level 83 Wood Elf Druid

||Char/RPG||

Weekend Update

Well. This weekend was a wake-up call.

Firstly, I had been sort of dreading trying on my jersey, hanging in the closet. I'm only about five pounds off my low weight from April this year, but right now it is NOT carrying the same. I tried it on when I was packing on Thursday. It was tight. Like, compression-wear tight. This was not a positive sign.

Friday

On the drive from home to the hotel in Joliet, IL, we stopped at the Fuddruckers just outside of Beloit and had lunch. It's a rare treat for me. At some point in the recent past, they added "exotics" to their menu, which included Elk. I decided, "Rangers gotta Ranger!" and had one of the largest damned burgers I've ever seen with an order of sweet potato fries. Also, Elk tends to be a drier meat, and I asked for them to prepare it medium rare, which in my mind should have been just a step above "slightly injured", but instead came out cooked solid through the middle, which I only noticed about halfway through eating the thing. I was annoyed.

6.jpg

Like this, only less douchey.

We had a big North Star Spartans dinner that evening at a decent Italian place. I had blackened salmon and broccoli. I also got an order of steak bites as an appetizer to share with the table, but everyone else declined, so I wound up eating those, too. This is an inordinate amount of food for me under any circumstance and probably wasn't the best idea the day before a weekend of Oh Hell No heat indexes. I went to bed feeling bloated.

Jabba_eats_paddy_frog.jpg

Keep going, genius, you haven't eaten your entire body weight in food yet today.

One of my North Star Spartans teammates, Chris, was 0 for 15 on the spear throw going into the weekend. It's a running joke at this point because he practices occasionally and hits at about a 75% success rate. I told the table that I was competing as a right-handed man with a bad right shoulder and because of that would be throwing left-handed both days and that I had a better chance of hitting the spear during the weekend than he did and that if he hit, I would but him beer.

Also, it rained overnight. Actually, it was more like a minor monsoon, complete with thunder and lightning and multiple hours of heavy rain. I imagine the Race Director wet his hotel bed in merciless joy while listening to the rain beat on the window at the prospect of all the mud that would muck up the course.

One of the girls let us know she was bringing a camera onto the course. I've taken the liberty of stealing her photos with impunity for purposes of illustrating this weekend's shenanigans.

Saturday

I woke up and did not feel bloated or, worse, like I had ingested a brick. This was encouraging. My legs were fresh and I could breathe after a night of air-conditioned bliss. We met up with Ed and Ethan - who were finishing their first Super of the year to close out their Spartan Trifecta - and drove to The Cliffs, where Spartan does their "Chicago" event, in Marseilles, IL. We got a gander at the course map:

Map_tn.jpg

Click to embiggen.

It was already hot when we got there at 7:45 a.m. We met up with the rest of the North Star Spartans team for some pre-race photos.

Saturday_Before.jpg

North_Star_Spartans.jpg

The temps were already brutal when we got to the starting gate - there was not a cloud in the sky, there was almost no breeze, it was over 80degF at start time (9:30 am) and the humidity was in the high 70 percents, and my jersey is NOT lightweight or breathable (or really a decent fit right now, but that's another matter entirely). Fortunately, much of the course was back into the woods. That was the extent of the "fortunately" for this course.

Chris and I both did this venue last year - Marseilles was where I did my first Spartan, inspired by Teros and the sheer guts he showed in Amesbury last summer. We both remembered stretches of straightaways punctuated with obstacles, a few sharp hills that led to moderate trail runs, a few mud flats, a couple creek beds, and then more flat. It's the Midwest. Flat is a thing.

Ravines and creeks and mud happened this year, but flat was NOT a thing.

The course opened up with a short trail run that then dropped down into a ravine.

Saturday_01.jpg

"Dropped" was not an exaggeration. Also, say Hi to Dan - he's giving us the double thumbs up.

The ravine was single track, about a quarter mile long, and filled with shin-deep mud that was about 80% clay, otherwise known as "Wait, I used to be wearing two shoes." I slipped into the muck multiple times in the backup and wound up losing both - the second time I just limped along wearing one Mudclaw and one sock, which then became treacherous because I was on a muddy slope wearing a sock. This initial "You stand no chance of putting up a good time today" stretch finally opened up into the first flat of the day, where I wedged my second shoe back on and took off down the trail.

The race officials had cut the number of obstacles from the map above due to heat, which just meant more running. Most of the running was short trails that led to the traversing of ravines - down one side and up the other - which is usually something I excel at, partially because I'm smart enough to own two pair of really high-end off-trail runners with good traction lugs. However, when almost the first thing you do is start walking through foot-deep mud, those same mud cleats do exactly what every other set of cleats does and grab onto the mud and hold on for dear life, which meant that for the first mile, until I was able to get the mud out of my cleats, every hill was "Look out, people, here comes Eric, down the hill on his butt".

Saturday_04.jpg

Not pictured: Me, coming in like a wrecking ball.

It got better after a while, but only by degrees and for given values of "better". Most of the trail looked like this:

Saturday_02.jpg

Miles and miles of slippery death and terror. Also, yes, those dudes on the left were wearing Fedoras.

It was a welcome reprieve when we hit the creek beds - running through cold water helped keep my body temp and cramping down, and also got most of the mud out of my shoe lugs and dissolved the gallons of mud inside my shoes.

Saturday_03.jpg

People were choosing to lie down in this from time to time.

... leaving behind about a quarter ton of gravel, INSIDE MY SHOES, leaving me to run approximately 7 miles in shoes filled with rocks.

I failed the rope climb - it was wet and muddy, far worse than any other course I've been on this year. Also, my grip strength was NOT where it was in April and I only made it halfway up before dropping back and sulking off to do my 30 burpees. I failed the spear throw when I hit the target - left-handed - but it failed to stick. Failed the multi-bars (rings, short ropes, a horizontal bar, more rings and ropes). Ethan can't lift his Atlas stone (yet) and so I carried it out and back for him (made him do his own burpees) and he did 10 of my burpees at the spear throw. I thought the barbed wire for most of the crawl (through a big mud flat) was really high and easy, but they made up for it on the bend when we had to belly-crawl through a creek. If I had been thinking about it, I would have gone for the "beast rising from the river" look for the photographer.

On the blue portion of the course - the part only run on Saturday during the Super - we carried logs through a thick mud bog and did the Monkey bars. I am not a glove-wearer and I also do not fail on the monkey bars. But I did tear a callous. It felt it ripped open about halfway through the bars, but I did finish. Ed had fallen off. I did 10 of his burpees before I noticed the tear.

Casualty.jpg

Pictured: Not an optimal situation for Sunday's race.

I went through my entire 1.7liter hydration pack, took two doses of hydration supplements, stopped at all five or so water stations, and had mild cramping and was moderately to significantly dehydrated. I finished in 3:44:09.

Saturday_Post.jpg

Also, the "Stupidity" I had hinted at did not happen.

Ed and I had talked about doing a second lap of the Super course on Saturday as long as "we felt good", and finished "at a decent pace".

20150812_Stupidity.jpg

This did not become a thing because no.

My GF and I stopped for an early-evening meal and had cheesecake back at the hotel. I foam-rolled, my GF used the roller stick on me for about half an hour, and I passed out at right around 7 pm.

Sunday

It's was more of the same, minus the blue portion of the course map. It was still just as hot, but I only have one jersey and it was nasty. I have two pair of trail shoes. This was a Good Thing. I wore a far lighter-weight shirt on Sunday and, had it not been for the crippling heat the day before that caused cramping in my calves and quads, probably would have finished in good shape on Sunday.

Obligatory Ed, Ethan and I pre-race photo:

Sunday_Before.jpg

Not pictured: DOMS.

Ethan is 15 and somehow got out ahead of the pack into the ravine. Ed swore a blue streak and took off after him. I never saw them again until the end.

I jumped up on the ridge of the ravine to save myself the horror of losing my shoes again and dragged my North Star teammate Chris out of the ravine. He looked like he'd been out too late socializing on Saturday and looks were not deceiving. Normally Chris should be able to run me into the ground, but I pushed his pace as much as he pushed mine and we finished close together. Because of my hand, I opted for burpees instead of the rope climb. I missed the spear throw - left-handed. I fell off the rings AGAIN. I crossed the line in 2:42, which was a faster pace than Saturday.

Also, I do not owe Chris a beer for the spear throw as he is now 0 for 17.

There will be more pics when they become available.

Takeaways

Shoulder injury or no, I am a shell of myself from even June, when I was able to beat the rope climb with ease and nearly made the horizontal bar in the middle of the multi-bar rig. Also, while I was better on the hills than I have been in the past, it's time for me to stop making excuses about running if I plan to be serious about this and not embarrass myself in front of everybody and NF in both Dallas and Carolina in November. It's back to an intentional pull-up and deadlift regimen; both got my grip strength into "no fear" territory back in April through June. Also, it's either get serious about my nutrition or buy a bigger jersey, and buying a bigger jersey is just another way of saying "I'm too lazy to get around to doing what I need to do."

Screen-Shot-2013-01-17-at-4.30.23-PM.png

And if you cross the finish line multiple times in a weekend, you'll know even more.

The weekend may not have turned out the way I wanted, but I did finish both days, I did my burpees when I failed an obstacle, and I earned two more finishes and walked away from the weekend needing just a Beast to earn my second Spartan Trifecta of the year.

Lesson learned. It's time for my practicum.

• Like 7