EricMN's Jedi Training - Return of the Jedi

EricMN

Ummm. Yeah. Bad.Ranger.Ass. And if this is what an "old man" looks like at a (!!!!!) Double (!!!!!) Spartan, my candy-ass youngin' self had better step it up - I can only wish (and work toward) being such a badass.

• Like 4

Level 77 Wood Elf Druid

Druid: || 59 | 60 | 61 | 61.5 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 ||

Ranger: || 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 ||

||Char/RPG||
STR: 57 || DEX: 59 || STA: 52 || CON: 47 || WIS: 59 || CHA: 59

As always, I'm impressed by your capabilities. And also by your willingness to be brutally honest, with yourself and here with us, about where you are and what you have to do to get where you want to be.

vjXNWEK.gif

• Like 3

Level 4 Slayer

STR 9 | DEX 7 | STA 6 | CON 9 | WIS 9 | CHA 5

Challenges: Current 4 3 2 1

Battle log

Mantra for 2015: I am here

"Riskless is hardly worth your effort." Seth Godin

Congratulations on rocking it! Let me just say that as a younger man and a newcomer to the whole Spartan thing, you are a double inspiration. Hats off to you, sirrah!

213f3f5821c6f9169801c7e7ab19052e.jpg

Mmmmmmm, Angus. Now I want a steak.

You're killing it. 

Also, I'll likely inbox you tomorrow I have a grip regimen I want to run by you to get your thoughts. I was told of some odd exercises by some OCR people that I'm gonna try out, maybe we can both give them a try and compare notes? 

Can I jump in on that? Grip strength is still my weak spot when it comes to anything involving bars or rings

• Like 4

Thank y'all for the encouraging words.

I am reminded by the screen cap I took of my registration that it was a year ago that I mustered up the courage, after Teros had the courage to attack Amesbury. He can say "he failed" all he wants, but I would still be slogging through shitty 5k runs and working out half-heartedly had he not fought that course for four hours last year.

20140819_STFU.jpg

One year ago tomorrow. 

Week 3 Grading

Everything is Pass/Fail and it's subjective.

Goal: Eat clean, stick to my macros, log and be accountable.
PASS, because except for dinner on Saturday - which included my traditional post-Spartan celebratory cheesecake - everything was clean. I logged every day while I was home and did not go nuts on the road. I was spot-on and I even had Elk Burgers, which totally Rangered up the whole meal plan thing, for four meals.

Goal: Run three times per week, including once with HILLS and one long trail run.
PASS. Trail run on Monday, 2 miles on Wednesday right before bed. Saturday was the Spartan Super, which was basically a 7-8m trail run with a few obstacles. Sunday was the 5m Spartan Sprint.

Goal: Strength training - body weight or weighted exercises - five times per week
FAIL. Only one dedicated strength day. I did a park workout and then had my Spartans. I'm okay with this. This week is going to see the dial start creeping back up toward 11 again.

Goal: Meditate 20 minutes per day.
PASS, but barely. I got sidetracked trying to get out of work on Thursday and Friday was a road trip day. If I didn't take 15 minutes away from everyone to get all game-face and pray and centered EVERY TIME I RUN, this would have been a fail. People have learned to just leave me alone when I am in my stretch-squat, sunglasses down, head bowed and hands forward. I'll take it.

That's 3/4 Passing grades last week. Acceptable.
  • Like 7

Jedi Knight - Current ChallengeBattle Log - Epic Quest

I am reminded by the screen cap I took of my registration that it was a year ago that I mustered up the courage, after Teros had the courage to attack Amesbury. He can say "he failed" all he wants, but I would still be slogging through shitty 5k runs and working out half-heartedly had he not fought that course for four hours last year.

Isn't it wonderful how in his "failure" he was actually a winner and got guys like you and me into attacking their first Spartan? Not to mention the non-Spartan related inspiration he handed out...

• Like 2

Week 4

Calling last week "recovery week" after the Illinois Spartan Super/Sprint weekend would be convenient, but in reality, I didn't need to take off more than last Monday. 

1den52R.gif
Padme is not amused by my lack of effort.

Both shoulders were hurting pretty good, and my hand was shredded where my callous ripped off, but other than being physically tapped from hours of exertion in the heat, I really didn't feel that bad. I guess that's what they call "conditioning", when you can go hard for three to four hours and then the next week say "I'm good." Which means that there's really no excuse for my lack of effort, making last week just a big bucket of Fail.

You-have-failed-me-for-the-last-time.gif
Failing a week of a NF challenge has fewer repercussions than this, but...

Last weekend was a major wake-up call for me. It's tough to compare one course to another, but I did a rough analysis of my Spartan performances over the past six months and I am really only pleased with two so far this year - Las Vegas in April and Miller Park in May. My pace has fallen off each of the last three events. It's time to get serious.

I've got a few events coming up over the next three months:

12 September - Rugged Maniac
19 September - BattleFrog
10 October - Hammer Race
17 October - Seattle Spartan Super
31 October - Dallas Spartan Beast
14 November - Carolina Spartan Beast/Sprint weekend

There's no excuse for me to not be training like a beast for this. I know what I need to do. I can look to my training for the Vegas Super in April as my template for success.

Monday - Crossfit lifting followed by a 3-5 mile trail run
Tuesday - Rest Day/ alternating week one hour workout (Boot Camp, skills workout)
Wednesday - Lift Day
Thursday - Boot Camp followed by one hour run
Friday - HIIT weekly plus Lift Day back to back every other week
Saturday - HIIT/Boot Camp back-to-back
Sunday - Lift Day plus trail run

This had me at my fastest time this year and able to sustain that speed for my greatest duration, and it's time to get back up to speed.

hansolohittinghisship.gif
I may never be able to do the Kessel Run in under 12 parsecs, but I am capable of faster than I am now.

Week 4 Grading

Everything is Pass/Fail and it's subjective.

Goal: Eat clean, stick to my macros, log and be accountable.
FAIL. Logged about half the week. Ate like crap this past weekend. Failed to post here all week long. Just fail.

Goal: Run three times per week, including once with HILLS and one long trail run.
FAIL. Did about a 3-mile trail/hill run with Ed on Thursday and nothing else.

Goal: Strength training - body weight or weighted exercises - five times per week
FAIL. Made it to HIIT on Friday and Boot Camp on Saturday and failed to motivate myself the rest of the week.

Goal: Meditate 20 minutes per day.
FAIL. Might have gotten this in three days last week, but that would be a stretch.

WEE51.gif

Unexpected this is, and unfortunate. Sucked massively last week you did, E.

However, this is not fatal. I have two weeks left of this challenge and nearly a full challenge cycle before I hit the Seattle Super. Rugged Maniac is a fun run that I can use to benchmark my pace and I can use BattleFrog as a benchmark for my physical progress, both with time to make changes before I get to Seattle.

I have a Plan, and it's not complicated. It's totally doable. It doesn't require a monkey, a parachute and a six-pack of Red Bull.

mivbmtbxqu71bhp6aaa3.jpg

Or a cat, a tiny bridle and a lightsaber.

It's time to Ranger Up.

• Like 8

Posting Star Wars dachshund in solidarity: 

starwarsdog.jpg

You've got this and I have no doubt you will pick yourself up and move forward to kick the level of ass you're shooting for in the remainder of your race season. 

• Like 1

Level 77 Wood Elf Druid

Druid: || 59 | 60 | 61 | 61.5 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 ||

Ranger: || 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 ||

||Char/RPG||

I know you don't think you need it but it is good to take a week here and there. You still do more than most on a week you consider a fail. I know your standards are high but don't beat yourself up. Get back up on the horse ( or kitten or dog) this week and kill it.

• Like 1

Level 36 Ranger Sorcerer 

Current challenge 

a_small_complication.jpg

Well... this complicates things.

Sprained, 2.2 miles into a 5k trail run last night. Landed sideways on my ankle coming down a hill and heard three pops accompanied by blinding pain. Had to walk 3/4 of a mile out of the trail to get to my car.

This changes my training plan... and also my event schedule for the near future.

• Like 1

gasp.gif?w=300&h=220

Oh noes! 

• Like 1

Level 77 Wood Elf Druid

||Char/RPG||

Dang dude....great update on your double race weekend, just got caught up. You truly are an inspiration sir...cuz your ability to log over 10 miles in 2 days with probably close to 40 obstacles..and the heat..and the clay-like mud.

But WHAAAAA?! Your ankle!! That's some bad luck their bubba...I'm really, really sorry to see you in a boot. I hope you get well soon man! Hopefully things go well and you heal up enough time for the Spartan Beast  over in my neck of the woods. Running the race with you was definitely something to look forward too, however, your recovery is more important and I hope its speedy!

Bone broth is excellent stuff. You can make your own for next the nothing. I like to get a huge rotisserie chicken from Kroger, pick it clean and use the bones in my crockpot to make homemade broth. I add in carrots, celery, broccoli stocks, and the night I make the broth I also make hard boiled eggs and use the shells to throw in the broth. I let it cook overnight for like 20-22 hrs. Once its done-run it through a strainer a couple times and your good to go. Put in the fridge and let it cool. There should be a layer of fat on top once its cooled. SAVE THIS. You can use it to cook in. (Think bacon fat)

Once again, I pray for a speedy recovery, Eric!

Wolf

• Like 4

Wild Wolf- LEVEL 2 (but probably more like lvl 50 if I didn't respawn so much)

Class: Howler/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 192#

Stats: MIGHT: 12 / CONSTITUTION: 9 / DEXTERITY: 11 / PERCEPTION: 10 / INTELLECT: 9 / RESOLVE: 13

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Omnis Vir Lupus

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Unchained Predator Saga: 1

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

*sigh*

Okay, I've got a couple of choices. I can quit now, resigned to injury, and catch up on missing seasons of The Walking Dead...

Season_5_cast_banner.jpg

I could learn to play video games...

21863ccac686221c14ec8eb893b97845.jpg

Or I could continue with the conversation I was having with my GF last night on the drive home from the emergency room where we were brainstorming how I am going to finish out my second and third Spartan Race Trifectas of this year.

Guess which one I'm going to choose?

my_trifecta.jpg

Three goes into 48 more than once.

My upcoming event schedule will change out of necessity. *sigh*

12 September - Rugged Maniac
19 September - BattleFrog *sigh*

I'm not giving up on October yet.

10 October - Hammer Race
17 October - Seattle Spartan Super
31 October - Dallas Spartan Beast
14 November - Carolina Spartan Beast/Sprint weekend

Maybe this is just what I needed to re-emphasize to myself how important this all is to me. I refuse to quit. 

HIIT and Boot Camp are out for a little while while I rehab. Regular running is out. That leaves a lot of other stuff. Last night at CrossFit, we were doing squat thrusters and OHP and I did not feel like my shoulder was full of glass, which means that as long as I am careful with positioning and work slowly up in weight, I can start back on lifting again. YAY! Deadlift and squats are out (boo), and standing presses are probably out (meh), but we'll cross the bridge of "What's in and what's out" when we get there.

This boot immobilizes my foot enough that I can do push-ups without pain (I tested it out). This means that body-weight stuff is in as long as it doesn't involve me jumping. No burpees? There is literally no drawback to this.

Finally, until my ankle stabilizes, I can keep running... just not on dry land.

water-running.jpg

I apologize in advance to my fellow gym members regarding the glare from my pasty white skin.

This is NOT going to defeat me. I have THINGS TO DO. I have one Spartan Super and two Spartan Beasts to complete this year in order to complete my 3x Trifecta, and I WILL NOT FALL SHORT.

11357277_845578722203258_283268323_n.jpg

I have been working for one of these all year and I am not going to quit now.

Buckle up, baby, it's about to get real in here.

• Like 4

A hearty 

boyk0nn.jpg

to that. 

• Like 1

Level 77 Wood Elf Druid

||Char/RPG||

Ankle sprains suck. I'm so sorry, man. Pool running is an excellent way to keep up your running fitness, though. I am glad you caught on to that one quickly.

Also, I would like to point out that your faster times were in Spring, when it was not a bajillion degrees outside. Heat plays a big factor in running times, probably more than you'd expect. I think your fall races will show an improvement even without more training.

• Like 2

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

Super bummer on the injury, but dang...you get knocked to the ground and you just bounce right back up again. Sorry you can't do your events in Sept, but I see the real ranger coming out in you adapting to your conditions and figuring out what you can do. The mental part is half the battle anyway and you've got that part nailed. Prayers for a quick recovery.

• Like 1

Lady Feowyn Miread of Eldavar

You have no idea what you're capable of, you didn't create you.

Megathirio Discord- https://discord.gg/kr2YCJM   

5df470d983dce38dd7f4eccef46846c73e947c00

I look forward to watching you persevere and overcome this challenge.  You're an inspiration Sir.

I credit bone broth with fixing my chronic tendonitis; I have no idea if it will help with a strain, but it can't hurt.  It's a natural, more bioavailable source of chondroitin and glucosamine.  I make mine from a crockpot of beef soupbones that I simmer for 48 hours.  I drink a cup in the morning - it's like drinking pot roast.

• Like 2

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log