A delightful summer, part 2 [zenLara]

Lara

Idk if you're on tumblr, but there's a bunch of people studying like, every language ever. So you could probably find more resources and people to practice with. I would love to learn Icelandic but it will have to wait til I get a handle on the other ones I'm studying lol. I should probably use memrise though. Tried it for Arabic and hated it, but nothing says other languages would be bad. 

I have a Norwegian friend and the language was available on Duolingo so I said "why not?" I need to find a book or something to study the grammar more in depth, but vocab is similar enough to English and German that it's pretty simple so far. I personally didn't find Arabic very hard. It may be that I didn't get far enough into it to get to the hard part (I was at a high intermediate level at the end of the last class I took, I think). Some people in my classes had a hard time with it and it's definitely different from English and Romance languages, but eh. I don't know. I'm probably a terrible judge because languages come easily to me. I can't do art or music or calculus, but I can pick up languages quickly.

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Profile photo is ancient but I'm too lazy to change it. 

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

By the way, I've taken a look to your thread and lord how many things you do! I'll take the time to read your posts, to see how you do to manage so much. @SymphonicDan is superactive too and manages to do plenty of tasks and exercise, but I suspect he is a cyborg, so it is not as impressive of course.

Thank you! Yes, there's a lot on my plate right now, honestly, I don't know how I handle it myself ;) I work parttime with a second job where I can decide my hours myself, so that definitely helps. I'll check out SymphonicDan and see whether I can learn some of his cyborg-powers :)

I was thinking about learning French again. I speak German (native) and English and I've learned French for four years at school and one or two courses at university, but it never really stuck with me (or I didn't stick with it, I don't know). Maybe I'll save it for next challenge. I've tried using an app once, but it frustrated me that it started from level zero and made me repeat words over and over that I already knew. Does duolingo do that too or is there a way to skip words or something?

"The way you spend your days is the way you live your life"

Challenges: Current | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Idk if you're on tumblr, but there's a bunch of people studying like, every language ever. So you could probably find more resources and people to practice with. I would love to learn Icelandic but it will have to wait til I get a handle on the other ones I'm studying lol. I should probably use memrise though. Tried it for Arabic and hated it, but nothing says other languages would be bad. 

I have a Norwegian friend and the language was available on Duolingo so I said "why not?" I need to find a book or something to study the grammar more in depth, but vocab is similar enough to English and German that it's pretty simple so far. I personally didn't find Arabic very hard. It may be that I didn't get far enough into it to get to the hard part (I was at a high intermediate level at the end of the last class I took, I think). Some people in my classes had a hard time with it and it's definitely different from English and Romance languages, but eh. I don't know. I'm probably a terrible judge because languages come easily to me. I can't do art or music or calculus, but I can pick up languages quickly.

I don't have an account on tumblr, maybe I'll take a look. But I must say that I've been at lang-8 and similar places, and there's always a tiny amount of icelandic people there. It took sometimes a whole month for someone at lang-8 to correct one of my exercises so after a few months I quit because it was not helpful. Have to take a longer look at italki, though.

If you don't like memrise courses you can build your own ones there, I've made a few and it's great because you choose vocabulary that is relevant for you and not random words from a dic as some courses seem to be.

About improving your languages, you can pm me if you want to use spanish. I could help with french too, but you say you're pretty good at it already. 

The Wolverine - Level 5 // BER  6.5 // HEA  4 // STR  4.4 // STA  3 // DEX  4 // CON  4 // WIS  4.75 // CHA  1

He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty.

Adventures don't start until you get into the forest.

Thank you! Yes, there's a lot on my plate right now, honestly, I don't know how I handle it myself ;) I work parttime with a second job where I can decide my hours myself, so that definitely helps. I'll check out SymphonicDan and see whether I can learn some of his cyborg-powers :)

I was thinking about learning French again. I speak German (native) and English and I've learned French for four years at school and one or two courses at university, but it never really stuck with me (or I didn't stick with it, I don't know). Maybe I'll save it for next challenge. I've tried using an app once, but it frustrated me that it started from level zero and made me repeat words over and over that I already knew. Does duolingo do that too or is there a way to skip words or something?

There's a placement test type thing on Duolingo so you can skip the basic lessons and stuff you already know. 

I don't have an account on tumblr, maybe I'll take a look. But I must say that I've been at lang-8 and similar places, and there's always a tiny amount of icelandic people there. It took sometimes a whole month for someone at lang-8 to correct one of my exercises so after a few months I quit because it was not helpful. Have to take a longer look at italki, though.

If you don't like memrise courses you can build your own ones there, I've made a few and it's great because you choose vocabulary that is relevant for you and not random words from a dic as some courses seem to be.

About improving your languages, you can pm me if you want to use spanish. I could help with french too, but you say you're pretty good at it already. 

I'll try memrise again maybe. I probably gave up too soon just because I didn't like the way it handled the Arabic alphabet. 

Thanks! I may take you up on that some day. I got my undergrad degree in French so I'd better be good at it lol.

I don't know if Mango Languages is available in Europe, but if it is you guys might want to check it out. I haven't used it extensively but it seems decent based on what I've done so far.

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

I've never used duolinguo. The languages I know where learnt by immersion or by seeing series after series ;) It's the first time I learn using "new technologies" and icelandic is not the best of languages for that, because there is virtually no material. But I've heard that many people is very happy with the duolinguo system and that they learn very fast.

Maybe you can try the aforementioned memrise, where there are a lot of courses to choose from or you can build your own. I remember a thread talking about someone's french courses being excellent, but I can't remember his/her name unfortunately. Memrise is for vocabulary work mainly, though you can pick some basic grammar rules when courses are well built. It's not very repetitive, because after the first learning stage, words only reappear if you failed remembering them. The better you remember them, the more the software waits to present them to you again, so you start to put them in long term memory. Every 3-4 months or so, it usually asks you to refresh the whole course, but you can quit every course independently whenever you want.

The Wolverine - Level 5 // BER  6.5 // HEA  4 // STR  4.4 // STA  3 // DEX  4 // CON  4 // WIS  4.75 // CHA  1

I'll check out SymphonicDan and see whether I can learn some of his cyborg-powers :)

How? How can you compare me with... him? I definitely back up your cyborg claims!

I'll keep in mind memrise and duolingo for when I have time to improve my language skills, thanks :)

• Like 1

@SymphonicDan is superactive too and manages to do plenty of tasks and exercise, but I suspect he is a cyborg, so it is not as impressive of course.

Haha, I do need to stop running out of battery though... it runs flat about once per week

I didn't know about any language thread in NF, but I looked for it and there it is: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/53920-language-exchange-topic-find-a-buddy/page-1  Not much people enrolled in nordic languages, though, only Mulroax and doesn't seem to be active anymore.

^^Yep, that's the thread - if you're interested in finding someone to speak Norwegian/Icelandic with it might be worth putting yourself on the list, but with only 5 million and 0.4 million speakers respectively, true it's unlikely.

I did learn some Norwegian a few years back when I lived there for a couple months working for a charity. We were in a kitchen so I know my gulrotkake from my kryderkake and my Ã¸l from my Ã¸lje but can't really converse :( Nice language though! Plus if you know Norwegian you practically know Danish and you can just about understand Swedish. Icelandic is extra cool though because of all the extra symbols like eth and thorn.

• Like 1

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

[ STR 36.75 | DEX 26.00 | STA 28.00 | CON 31.25 | WIS 29.25 | CHA 24.50 ]

current 5-week challenge: March 2020

external websites with my resources for...

fitness & breathwork | mental math & mind sports | motivation & productivity

There's a placement test type thing on Duolingo so you can skip the basic lessons and stuff you already know. 

I'll try memrise again maybe. I probably gave up too soon just because I didn't like the way it handled the Arabic alphabet. 

Thanks! I may take you up on that some day. I got my undergrad degree in French so I'd better be good at it lol.

I don't know if Mango Languages is available in Europe, but if it is you guys might want to check it out. I haven't used it extensively but it seems decent based on what I've done so far.

Yes, I remember taking a look at it, it's available by 20$/month or so, which in case of the icelandic makes it a bit too much, because their course is pretty short and basic, which anyway is what happens with the few websites that offer icelandic :(

How? How can you compare me with... him? I definitely back up your cyborg claims!

I'll keep in mind memrise and duolingo for when I have time to improve my language skills, thanks :)

LOL! You agree with me :)  I'm thinking about making a plan to unmask him once and for all.

Haha, I do need to stop running out of battery though... it runs flat about once per week

^^Yep, that's the thread - if you're interested in finding someone to speak Norwegian/Icelandic with it might be worth putting yourself on the list, but with only 5 million and 0.4 million speakers respectively, true it's unlikely.

I did learn some Norwegian a few years back when I lived there for a couple months working for a charity. We were in a kitchen so I know my gulrotkake from my kryderkake and my Ã¸l from my Ã¸lje but can't really converse :( Nice language though! Plus if you know Norwegian you practically know Danish and you can just about understand Swedish. Icelandic is extra cool though because of all the extra symbols like eth and thorn.

It would be fun to find more icelanders in NF than in any other language community...

I think what you need is to work on your early sleeping goal. I don't know where I read that the hours we sleep before midnight (solar time) are twice more beneficial and repairing than the hours that drive to sunshine, but I can't remember where I read it or I'd give you the link.

Day 26. 

I've been avoiding this, because I am scared of being judged Harassment_emoticon.gif I've been working on Winter Spirits for a while now, and though it is not ready to be played in a concert because it has many rough spots yet to be worked, I have to accept I can let people hear a "not final version" of it. It's like I wanted it to be perfect before making it public, and that's not gonna happen. So, in a moment of bravery, I ran through the whole piece without considering the mistakes and "I don't like this" moments that were happening and recorded it. It's not great audio, because the moment of bravery was so impulsive I recorded it with my phone... 

For anyone interested, the piece is an invocation to several american indian spirits, a free spirit, a capricious spirit and a calm spirit, that appear and disappear and then interact together.

https://soundcloud.com/zenlara/winter-spirits

That's it. It's done running_round_in_circles_by_brgtt.gif

It's judgement day for Lara! Well the votes are in....you had nothing to worry about! I'm not musically capable at all  and I don't know the technicalities of the flute so all I have to go on is how the music sounds to me. I thought it was lovely, I can imagine the different spirits. I think perhaps you are your harshest critic and are a more accomplished flute player than you give yourself credit for ;) I'm so glad you got berserker mode on and posted it. A flute piece is not something I would normally come across in the comings and goings of my life. I enjoyed listening to it, thank you for playing for us and sharing your music. I have a lot of admiration for your talent and ability  :positive:

The background to the development of your flute skills was very interesting to read. I suppose your fears around taking lessons again might be related to exposing what you perceive as your current skill level to someone who you perceive is stronger or more skillful than you. As with most things (including posting your playing here) I suspect the thought of doing the lessons is actually worse than doing them and the way to overcome these fears is often to do the thing that you are fearful of. This is of course easier said than done. However I hope that you are noticing (I am) over the course of your threads here that you are stronger and more accomplished than you give yourself credit for. Keep on trying and pushing Lara, *you* do amazing things when you believe in yourself.  :positive:

• Like 1

Endor, LVL 40 Half-Elf Ranger 

PR and Motivation Log | Current Battle Log 

Current Challenge (Jan 2021)

Hi! Thank you for coming by! I've seen you're another cat lover. Don't get frustrated, eventually all of them will succumb to the desire of cuddles and let you hug them ;)

Yes, it's an habitica avatar. Are you there too?

I appreciate your encouragement. It's hard when cats don't always love me. :P 

And yes, I am there! I've been taking a break from it lately because I've used it for so long that I'm a really high level, but I'm trying to get back on it because it's so useful. Have you been using it long?

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 46

2021 challenges:  46 (current)

2015-2020 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

It's judgement day for Lara! Well the votes are in....you had nothing to worry about! I'm not musically capable at all  and I don't know the technicalities of the flute so all I have to go on is how the music sounds to me. I thought it was lovely, I can imagine the different spirits. I think perhaps you are your harshest critic and are a more accomplished flute player than you give yourself credit for ;) I'm so glad you got berserker mode on and posted it. A flute piece is not something I would normally come across in the comings and goings of my life. I enjoyed listening to it, thank you for playing for us and sharing your music. I have a lot of admiration for your talent and ability  :positive:

The background to the development of your flute skills was very interesting to read. I suppose your fears around taking lessons again might be related to exposing what you perceive as your current skill level to someone who you perceive is stronger or more skillful than you. As with most things (including posting your playing here) I suspect the thought of doing the lessons is actually worse than doing them and the way to overcome these fears is often to do the thing that you are fearful of. This is of course easier said than done. However I hope that you are noticing (I am) over the course of your threads here that you are stronger and more accomplished than you give yourself credit for. Keep on trying and pushing Lara, *you* do amazing things when you believe in yourself.  :positive:

Thank you very much for your kind words. And for taking your time to listen to it and give feedback. I am glad that I gave you something you don't usually hear. 

Yes, I am very scared of being heard by a top-notch flutist. And yes, it's always worst to thing about it than to go through the experience, and yet I don't seem to have courage enough.

*you* do amazing things when you believe in yourself. That made me cry. You are so right, and yet, why is so f*** difficult to believe in oneself?

Thank you 10amor.gif

• Like 1

I appreciate your encouragement. It's hard when cats don't always love me. :tongue:

And yes, I am there! I've been taking a break from it lately because I've used it for so long that I'm a really high level, but I'm trying to get back on it because it's so useful. Have you been using it long?

I created the avatar like the week before the challenge started or so. I find it more useful than to-do lists, because there's this division between habits and dailies and then other things that must be done but in some time. I am using it for tracking my progress not only with these goals but also with other things that are in the background right now but that are important.

And of course, it's fun to see your little self upgrade. 

If you have reached a very high level maybe you can create another account? I've read also that when you arrive to level 100 you can "rebirth" and start over and that when you reach level 50 you can change class so you discover new gear. Maybe you can try that if it's got too old now.

For anyone interested, the piece is an invocation to several american indian spirits, a free spirit, a capricious spirit and a calm spirit, that appear and disappear and then interact together.

https://soundcloud.com/zenlara/winter-spirits

That's it. It's done running_round_in_circles_by_brgtt.gif

The link worked this morning! Thank you so much for sharing! You play beautifully, and I love the piece you chose! As a former flutist of nowhere near your skill level, can I just praise you a bit? Too bad! ;) Your tone is gorgeous and your movement between octaves is seamless. I have always loved the low notes on flute and you really make them sing. Your technique on all the trills and such is clearly amazing and comes across as effortless. I loved listening to you play!!! If that is a piece that needs improvement, I want to hear your drills. :D

Thank you for sharing more details of your training. Performing can be so challenging, and it is inspiring to see you actively addressing the challenges that came between you and the flute. I know it's hard not to think what if, but you are walking an incredible journey. I can't wait to see all the beauty and awesomeness you create in the future!!! :)

• Like 3

Love as thou wilt.

The link worked this morning! Thank you so much for sharing! You play beautifully, and I love the piece you chose! As a former flutist of nowhere near your skill level, can I just praise you a bit? Too bad! ;) Your tone is gorgeous and your movement between octaves is seamless. I have always loved the low notes on flute and you really make them sing. Your technique on all the trills and such is clearly amazing and comes across as effortless. I loved listening to you play!!! If that is a piece that needs improvement, I want to hear your drills. :D

Thank you for sharing more details of your training. Performing can be so challenging, and it is inspiring to see you actively addressing the challenges that came between you and the flute. I know it's hard not to think what if, but you are walking an incredible journey. I can't wait to see all the beauty and awesomeness you create in the future!!! :)

Ah, a fellow flutist! Thank you very much for your comments on technique; I am glad that the sound passes fine, because I am not yet comfortable with the new headjoint and many things are unstable and risky (like not knowing whether a pp high note will come out or crash or whether I'll break the low note with the accents). Pitch is also weird, because notes have moved from their usual places, argh. Anyway, now I'll just let the piece rest.

Thank you very much for listening to it!!! blow-kiss-smiley-emoticon.gif

• Like 1

I created the avatar like the week before the challenge started or so. I find it more useful than to-do lists, because there's this division between habits and dailies and then other things that must be done but in some time. I am using it for tracking my progress not only with these goals but also with other things that are in the background right now but that are important.

And of course, it's fun to see your little self upgrade. 

If you have reached a very high level maybe you can create another account? I've read also that when you arrive to level 100 you can "rebirth" and start over and that when you reach level 50 you can change class so you discover new gear. Maybe you can try that if it's got too old now.

I really should, but I get so attached to all my levels! I still have some mounts to collect, so that should be enough motivation once I get going again. 

Anyway, I hope your weekend is going well and you're keeping up with all your goals!

• Like 1

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 46

2021 challenges:  46 (current)

2015-2020 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

Days 27 & 28.

No summer activities, as I've been kind of secluded at home resting my toe. Fortunately, is not broken this time and it will be fine in a few days. I can't barely walk, though, so no exercise either. Hope I'll retake soon my routine because I was having fun.

I've been taking a tablespoon of coconut oil after every meal and everytime I feel sugar cravings, and it's doing wonders. Less frequent cravings and feeling more full after meals. Great! These last 4 days I've only eaten bread once, and took one portion of pizza and one cider I didn't even finish because it tasted too sweet.

As I have a lot of free time, I've been focusing on playing the flute and reorganizing my icelandic study for the new term to start. I'm planning to be more messy with both activities this time (flute messiness is already taking place, as you know). Language learning side, last year I focused on Ãslenska fyrir alla and on learning a lot of vocabulary, but this year I'm going to do more listening and reading. I plan on listening to the radio every morning while I prepare and have my breakfast. I've been doing that this week, and yesterday I felt pretty encouraged because there was this woman with very clear voice and I understood many many things! So everyday radio! And, here is the nerdy part (there always has to be a nerdy part): I saw in a blog that a very interesting and easy way to improve your language learning is to chose a subject/book/magazine you are interested in and you know well in one of your native/fluent languages, and try to get through it. Best if you have the audio as well as the text, so you can read as you listen. The thing is to read a chapter, get a general idea of what happened, then re-read looking for some key expressions or words and learning them, and then re-read again. If you get the main ideas of the chapter this way, you go to the next chapter. SO, I am NOT ready for something like LOTR, I remember the first time I read it in english and it was harsh. BUT, I've found this lovely translation "Hobbitinn eða út og heim aftur" with audio, and that yes, I think is manageable. More, it must be so inspiring to read such a story in such an old language! I'm thrilled! AND, these are the notebooks I am going to use to collect the vocabulary:

http://www.redbubble.com/people/fawkes/works/15322485-i-3-jrr-tolkien?p=spiral-notebook

http://www.redbubble.com/people/southoftheshire/works/15253928-the-fellowship-misty-mountains?p=spiral-notebook

I love being a nerd!

• Like 1

Isn't it weird how things taste way sweeter once you've avoided sweet stuff for a while? Happened to me with ketchup. I didn't think and accidently had some at a bbq. It was sooooo sweet.
You icelandic plans sound awesome! I think I'll try getting back into french by reading Harry Potter. I like the idea of listening to it at the same time, maybe I can get the audio book, too. Oh, and congrats on your radio-listening skills! That's awesome :)

I hope your toe heals soon so you can get back into your routine. (I was going to write "keep going" but that's probably not a good option right now, so I won't)

• Like 1

Isn't it weird how things taste way sweeter once you've avoided sweet stuff for a while? Happened to me with ketchup. I didn't think and accidently had some at a bbq. It was sooooo sweet.

You icelandic plans sound awesome! I think I'll try getting back into french by reading Harry Potter. I like the idea of listening to it at the same time, maybe I can get the audio book, too. Oh, and congrats on your radio-listening skills! That's awesome :)

I hope your toe heals soon so you can get back into your routine. (I was going to write "keep going" but that's probably not a good option right now, so I won't)

Yes, and you rediscover the natural sweet taste of many many things. It's odd how we lose that.

Hahahaa, I see you tempted with french. Oh-là, je crois te voir déjà en devourant Haggy Potteg, l'un après l'autre!

That sounds like a great way to study Icelandic and I'm jealous. 

I hope your toe heals soon! That's such a bummer.

• Like 1

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

image.jpg

(Did I mention my french is not very good (yet)?)

LOL!!

Ahh, hope your toe is better ASAP - it's frustrating when such a small injury can have such a large effect :(

More, it must be so inspiring to read [The Hobbit] in such an old language!

Haha yes - it almost seems like Tolkein should've written The Hobbit in Icelandic...

This is so true^ I thought ketchup tasted acidic, but now I consider that it tastes sweet. I thought the same for apples too. And now I crave subtler foods like vegetables or fats, and only crave sugars when my body actually needs them to recover from something (exercise, illness, etc.) One of many benefits of not being a sugar fiend :P

• Like 1

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

[ STR 36.75 | DEX 26.00 | STA 28.00 | CON 31.25 | WIS 29.25 | CHA 24.50 ]

current 5-week challenge: March 2020

external websites with my resources for...

fitness & breathwork | mental math & mind sports | motivation & productivity

Days 29, 30 & 31.

Bad week.

My toe is worst after I tried to walk a bit on monday afternoon :(

Sugar cravings have increased, probably because of boredom and stillness :( In fact, I am writing this while snacking a sandwich, which my cat is insistently trying to steal from me.

There are no summer activities available if I have to sit on the couch :(

Hobbitinn will take a few days yet to arrive :(  Because it's coming from a land far, far away...

At least, I'm working my flute. And today had a rehearsal with some work colleagues, because we are playing in a wedding on saturday. No traces of the slightlest nervousness, played comfortably, though that's what I was expecting because they're nice people and I get on specially well with one of them.

• Like 2

At least, I'm working my flute. And today had a rehearsal with some work colleagues, because we are playing in a wedding on saturday. No traces of the slightlest nervousness, played comfortably, though that's what I was expecting because they're nice people and I get on specially well with one of them.

Hey! No excuses for playing without nerves. You have worked HARD to enjoy those moments. So enjoy, ok? :D

• Like 2

Love as thou wilt.