Thruhikemaine - FKT OR BUST

thruhikemaine

I'm back! ..... well to the rebellion. It's actually my first time posting with the scouts. I figured that since the majority of the activities I was doing were endurance based (running, biking, swimming) shouldn't I be with the scouts? So here I am!

At the end of august is my first spartan race of the year - but that's not the end of my fitness journey. After my spartan races this year, I'm switching gears towards more personal challenges. So that's what I'm going to focus this challenge on. My goal next year - attempt to break the fkt for the presidential traverse.

Goal #1 - hit the trails once per week
If you've never heard of the presidential traverse, it's a traverse of the presidential mountains, or most of them, in new Hampshire. That's some serious mountains. Most my running for the last 6 months have been on the road and my body needs to adjust.

6 weeks = +4 STA       4-5 weeks = +3 STA       3 weeks = +1 STA

Goal #2 - CLIMB THOSE STAIRS
The advice I give to anyone wanting to hike more mountains? It's the elevation, not the miles that will kill you. I looked at the GPS track from the current record holder, and the first 3.83 miles are all uphill, with almost half of the elevation change for the whole course! There's 1 mountain near me, so either hit that mountain, or hit the stair mill at the gym for 45 minutes (secretly, this would be my ideal time for that initial elevation gain)
6 weeks of hills = +4 STR     4-5 weeks = +3 STR      3 weeks = +1 STR

Goal #3 - condition like a convict
I ran into the book "convict conditioning" and really like the exercises. So two days a week, I'm going to pick 3 of the exercise progressions and do whatever is at my level. One of these must be the pull up progression.

3x for 6 weeks = +3 CHA       5 weeks = +2 CHA       4 weeks = _1 CHA

Life goal - clean up my diet
It's time to get back on track. I dropped out of the last challenge because I got complacent and I apparently felt like proving it's possible to be an unhealthy vegetarian. Each week I will make a healthy meal that is new to me, and EAT IT.

6 new meals = +4 CON       4-5 new meals = +3 CON    3 meals = +1 CON

• Like 1

Level 3 wood elf  Class Scout

Challenges: 1, 2, Current

STR 5 | DEX 3 | STA 8 | CON 3 | WIS 2 | CHA 3

Wow! Next year will be amazing! As a Vermonter, I agree the NH mountains can really work you hard.

If I may...

If you're on the mechanical stairs, you may want to try practice taking steps from the middle of the step to the far edges like you would find yourself doing occasionally in the wild. And vice versa. Really make sure to move around in your training. It's a lot like the elevation you're talking about. It's everywhere on the trail. Let your ankles know ahead of time what they're in for.

Your challenge looks awesome. Have a great time.

Glad you're here with us this challenge!

PS Toss your name in the title and follow your thread when you get a chance.

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

Wow! Next year will be amazing! As a Vermonter, I agree the NH mountains can really work you hard.

If I may...

If you're on the mechanical stairs, you may want to try practice taking steps from the middle of the step to the far edges like you would find yourself doing occasionally in the wild. And vice versa. Really make sure to move around in your training. It's a lot like the elevation you're talking about. It's everywhere on the trail. Let your ankles know ahead of time what they're in for.

hmm, can't seem to figure out how to change the name of the thread.  Any tips?

If I may...

Good advice on the foot work, especially for a guy who argues with his ankles constantly (this guy).  Where in vermont?  I'm gonna be running the Killington beast!

Good advice on the foot work, especially for a guy who argues with his ankles constantly (this guy).  Where in vermont?  I'm gonna be running the Killington beast!

Oh cool. I live in Montpelier, but you can get anywhere in Vermont in decent time. I think it takes about an hour and some. When is it?

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

Day 1 done - First day of hills done!

I really took the cake for hills today - almost 3500 ft of elevation change total!  It was spread out over 4.2 miles, but man was it steep! Add in that it was poorly planned, which means no snacks and no water - it was a challenge!  It was great to be able to get so much elevation in 1 training session, but me and boots don't get along anymore!  all my trail running/hiking has been with trail running shoes lately so boots made me feel clumsy!

I wanted to hike Mt. Kineo tomorrow (anyone know where that is?!) but it's to far of a drive if i want to be able to make it home tomorrow, so that's not happening!  Tomorrow will be a day of convict conditioning, with a day of trail running planned Wednesday.  New menu's may have to wait till saturday, we will see!

Oh cool. I live in Montpelier, but you can get anywhere in Vermont in decent time. I think it takes about an hour and some. When is it?

The weekend of september 19th! Ill be there the whole weekend, I'm also working that sunday at the ultra beast!

• Like 1

Awesome goals! Hiking challenges are awesome to find out what you're really made of - you can't do them (well) without decent conditioning, but finding the will to keep pushing when your mind wants to give up (or slow down) makes for some great adventures.

I was hoping to go for some personal bests of my own by the time this challenge wraps up (first ever 30 mile day), but I'll have to root folks like you on from the digital sidelines. I highly recommend doing not only stairs, but stairs with a weighted pack on. Once you can hold a target pace with a heavier or much heavier pack than you'll be carrying, your actual traverse will be much easier. Good luck!

day 2 and 3 done!

Day 2 - Went and signed up for a gym membership.  While there, busted out pullups, leg raises, push ups and crow, making that day 1 of convict conditioning for this week!

Day 3 - Woke up feeling like crap, as I had felt like crap all night and struggled sleeping.  But, still did an 8.1 mile walk/run on the trails with a coworker, so trail running done for the week!  Also did pushups, leg raises and crow.  2 out of 3 done for convict conditioning!  Also had black bean burgers with some roasted veggies, so that's my meal for the week!

Hate to post and run, but time for bed (645am seems to come way to soon!)

The weekend of september 19th! Ill be there the whole weekend, I'm also working that sunday at the ultra beast!

I might be able to get down there. I'll know more in a few days.

Love the crow!

Sleep well.

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

So I was just going to do a lil bit of convict conditioning and some trail running - MEETING BASIC STANDARDS - but than I watched a few episodes of Naruto.  You know who pumps me up in that show? Might Guy.  I won't go into spoilers for those that might not be caught up.  I'll Just say - OMG HE'S AMAZING - and than talk about what I did after some naruto motivation.

Went trail running today, breaking in some new shoes (minimalist shoes really work those ankle muscles!) and got 2.84 miles in half an hour.  Not breaking any records, but it felt pretty good.  Also have been wearing vibram five fingers most places to get my feet used to more of a beating.  Although I did roll my ankle on a longer run Monday, I seem to have recovered from it quickly.

While at the gym today I got ambitious and decided "Fuck it, let's do EVERYTHING in one day."  So I also got on that stairmaster and than did convict conditioning -

pull ups - 3,2,1

Bent knee raises - 15,30,30

Crow, 15 sec, 10 sec, 12 sec

Crow was feeling really good today, rather impressed with that first count of 15 seconds.  If I'm being honest though, I need to take the pull up series back a few steps, as I can't even meet the beginner standard - 1 set of 5.  So I am going to take it back A few steps next time, which would be horizontal pulls.

Guy Might, your the man.

Convict conditioning looks brutal by the last stages but I like the gradual build up.

The last stages are brutal, but the way he talks, it's supposed to take a year to get to those stages!

I wouldn't even call it mechanical stairs, it's two levers my feet push down on.  They never get a chance to get off the step!  You have a good point with the work on ankle strength.  Thankfully there are some trails around me that are ATV trails, and have odd angled rocks riddled through them!

I was hoping to go for some personal bests of my own by the time this challenge wraps up (first ever 30 mile day), but I'll have to root folks like you on from the digital sidelines. I highly recommend doing not only stairs, but stairs with a weighted pack on. Once you can hold a target pace with a heavier or much heavier pack than you'll be carrying, your actual traverse will be much easier. Good luck!

The weighted pack will be a good idea down the road, as I will probably be carrying some supplies (I'm sure my caloric intake will be unreal!)

• Like 1

Today, finished strong with convict conditioning -

kneeling pushups - 20,20,20

bent leg raises - 20,20,25

short bridges - 20,20,20

Also saw this week that you can replace eggs with apple sauce in a pancake. 

OMG_zpsfd54e805.gif

I love applesauce by the way.  Also made it gluten free since I used good ol' buckwheat!

That rounds this week out for a big ol' win!

Also some awesome news - I get to start training the kids I work with for trail running, as taking them on monthly trail runs has been approved!  Yup, I just got paid to go rafting on friday, and now I get to go running with them, and take them on awesome trail runs I've been itching to do.  Now I have an excuse to scout them out ahead of time!

• Like 1

week 3 day 1!

Trail running - Did 4.5 miles at work, which is definitely a trail.  It's a 1.5 mile loop that starts and ends at the top of a hill, with the last hill being non stop for half a mile.  Hits the LUNGS!!!

Hills - Got on the stair climber at the gym today.  did 96 floors, which I believe is equal to 960 feet, in half an hour.   Not a bad start, but the goal is over 3500 in an hour.  Might need to add in a second one weekly for my next challenge.

Convict conditioning - Did 3 sets of each exercise -

kneeling pushups - 15,15,15

pull ups - 2,2,2

bent leg raises - 30,30,30

short bridges - 20,20,25

crow - 12 sec, 15 sec, 13 sec

half squats - 20,20,20

Crow felt awesome, and for some reason the first pull up on the third set felt easy!

Food - Attempted, and it looks like successfuly, to make a vegan cliff bar from scratch.    Going to possibly do 7 miles tomorrow, so I will give them a shot when I need a snack!

Overall an awesome start to the week!

288.gif

• Like 1

I love it when something weird happens in my workouts. It's like, how on earth did I do a pull up so easily over half way through my sets?!?!? Ours is not to question, I suppose!!

Good start. Wreck this week!

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

Day 2 week 3

Went to Acadia National Park to run the Jordan Pond Loop, a 3.3 mile trail that I am taking the kids on september 12th.  Super flat trail, and brought a coworker, someone I figured would be pushing me to go FAST!  What ended up happening was I hit my steady pace, and he would sprint ahead here and there.  By the end, he was pretty gassed and we had to walk!!!  I couldn't believe one of the kids that I used to try to compete with as he has always been in better shape, got out done by me!  It was a nice feeling.

Day 3 week 3

Did convict conditioning, short bridges, bent leg raises, and crow.  I don't remember the numbers, but I am very close to going to the next step on the first two.  Crow, is still going to be a while.  The longest I have managed is 15 seconds, where the time I need to be able to do before progressing to the next step is 1 minute.  I also looked at the numbers I have done and decided to go for a run.  I was running in town and wanted to do between 3-4 miles, when I ran into a coworker.  You ever hear those stories about how the guy is out running, and this good looking girl comes by prompting him to IMMEDIATELY shape up and act like it's not an issue?  This was one of those times.  I seem to be surrounded by these incredibly attractive women at work, and it makes for awesome motivation to run, run, RUN!  we ran 2 laps together, chatting the whole time.  She told me today she finished after over 7 miles.

I also was feeling restless last night, so I grabbed my whiteboard and wrote out a 12 week plan for my running and stairmaster training.  I'll post a picture another time.  Tomorrow looks to be a 7.5 mile day!

• Like 2

Day 2 week 3

Went to Acadia National Park to run the Jordan Pond Loop, a 3.3 mile trail that I am taking the kids on september 12th. Super flat trail, and brought a coworker, someone I figured would be pushing me to go FAST! What ended up happening was I hit my steady pace, and he would sprint ahead here and there. By the end, he was pretty gassed and we had to walk!!! I couldn't believe one of the kids that I used to try to compete with as he has always been in better shape, got out done by me! It was a nice feeling.

Congrats on out-doing a competitor!!

Sweet mama!! It's nice to run into folks that make your heart beat a little faster!

Yes indeed. It sounds like technique had a hand in it. You were slow and steady whereas he was trying sprinty bits. There's a lesson there. Anyway, I trust you made the most of your triumph in bragging to the laydeez back at work...?

The venue sounds good too. A trail round a pond in a national park. Oh yeah! And to think some people do all their running on treadmills!

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

Yes indeed. It sounds like technique had a hand in it. You were slow and steady whereas he was trying sprinty bits. There's a lesson there. Anyway, I trust you made the most of your triumph in bragging to the laydeez back at work...?

The venue sounds good too. A trail round a pond in a national park. Oh yeah! And to think some people do all their running on treadmills!

Iis a beautiful spot! And it's about the length of the longer runs I take them on, but with a lot less elevation. Definitely a setup for assume confidence boosting. Which is how I sold the idea of taking teenagers at a treatment center running! (there was definitely some initial concern)

Yesterday did another round of convict conditioning. Almost did 3 pull ups on the third set, great to see with that spartan race coming up! Also did a 20 second crow, the longest yet! The progression standard is 1 minute though, so I'm not done with those by a long shot!

Did a long run as well. Initially I thought it was 7.7 miles, but turns out each lap is only 1.3 miles. Meant to get 18, but was only under because of this by .5 miles, something I'm pretty satisfied with.

I also repurposed a white board into a predicted training schedule for my hill training and distance running. I laid it out to add 10% to my weekly mileage on 4 week cycles instead of each week. Also put in a recovery week before my spartan sprint, and a recovery week before, and after, my spartan beast. Right now, I'm at the end of week 2 in this plan.

10bf701b06ef9dd088cda37d36b9a40c.jpg

Next week will be interesting, as I'm scheduled to be taking residents camping at the end of the week, but also need to make sure the residents at the other campus get their exercise to prepare for that trail run!

• Like 2

Liking the plan. A big-arse whiteboard is a lot harder to ignore than a Google spreadsheet!

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.