I think I'm going about his backward. I'm introducing myself AFTER having laid out my challenge... or MAYBE you're just reading this out of order.

At any rate, my name is Brad (username chord509). I am:

• husband of 17 years
  • father of 2 teenage boys
  • 41 years old
  • 6'0", ~250lbs (17.8571429kg, 17.8571429st)
  • training mentor for a large computer manufacturer

My fitness journey has been a series of mis-starts. I lost some weight on Atkins and Weight Watchers in the past, but it's hard to keep a fat man down! 

Growing up, I was the skinny runt of the class. No matter how hard I trained for sports, I never got bigger and only marginally stronger. I graduated high school at 5'8" and 115lbs. In college, things changed when my wife became pregnant.

Late night pizza and nachos cravings drove my wife's pregnancy. I was only TOO happy to oblige and eagerly participate. I saw my weight go from 165lbs to 180lbs to 200lbs...

Today, I am approximately 250lbs. Tying my shoes, in itself, can be an aerobic event. I know what it feels like to be overweight and unfit. I now want to know what the other end of the spectrum feels like.

In addition, my father is almost 500lbs. His method of transport is a walker. Without it, he is off-balance and prone to falling. He has had major surgery on both eyes for glaucoma, as a symptom of his Type II diabetes. I have horridly realized that I am roughly 20 years from the same fate if I don't change something.

You see, I drive a desk for a living. Eight hours on my butt every Monday through Friday, and then the weekends are spent... on my butt playing World of Warcraft.

My surname is Self, derived from Seawulfe, a Norse Viking clan. My ancestors were explorers and warriors, and I want to recapture that adventurous, conqueror's spirit. I'm not looking to pillage and plunder any villages, but I do want to conquer my diet and inactivity!

• Like 2

Velcommen to ze rebellion! Hook ya! /badvikingaccent

Glad to have you! Nothing wrong with starting a challenge first thing out of the box, that just means you're excited.  Have you thought about a standing desk? That way at least you're standing while you are conquering and pillaging on WoW

• Like 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Hello and welcome :D You have some good motivation there to get in shape. 

I have this thing I do on WoW. Whenever I die (which is sadly all too frequent), I do 10 push-ups or squats. Or, whenever I finish a dungeon if I'm on a grind. It's kind of a little thing, but believe me, by the end of the night it's been a heck of a work out. Also incentive to avoid death  :playful:

Good luck to you! You can do it! Lok'tar ogar!

• Like 2