• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

AthenaMM

AthenaMM Finds Her Strength

Congratulations on the push-up form improvement, that happened faster than I was expecting. I saw on Jrosto's thread that you were planning on a less intense challenge next time. Are you going to keep doing push-ups to keep the gains you've made?

It wasn't a big break in form, my elbows flared at the end so it wasn't a huge gain to fix it. I'm definitely going to keep it up but I won't be focusing on it as much. Right now I'm avoiding some things (like the hollow body hang) because they make my shoulders  sore and impact my ability to do push-ups. I still want to make gains in my push-ups but once I'm not on a deadline I don't want to focus on them and exclude other things.

Awesome job knocking out three sets of the BBWW without rest, you kicked my rear :)

And ElemHH kicked BOTH of our rears!

The new challenge is going to start while I'm still out of town on vacation. We'll get back the Tuesday after it starts. I'd already been planning on weekly goals instead of daily ones so I don't think it will matter though. I'll just have to accomplish all of week one's goals between Wednesday and Sunday. I do need to sit down and make a real plan for the challenge instead of the half formed one I currently have. Maybe I'll work on that tomorrow. 

Thursday September 3 - Day 39

No BBWW today. My legs are a tiny bit sore today, but it didn't show up until after I did my really long walk. So I don't think there is any reason I can't start doing the 3 sets of the BBWW with no rest regularly. I'll keep the modifications I made and work up to doing more squats and lunges and doing the full squats.

I tried a push-up but couldn't even do one so I decided I needed to rest today.

I ate 6 fruits and veggies

I did my evening routine

I also did morning yoga, walked for 60 minutes and stayed within my hunger ratings.

• Like 3

And ElemHH kicked BOTH of our rears!

You give me way too much credit. I just did the BBWW as it was written, no harder modifications, so others have been doing a harder version for the challenge.

No BBWW today. My legs are a tiny bit sore today

Everything from my arse down has been sore all day. My body really didn't appreciate all of the extra exercise I did yesterday.

• Like 1

Oh weekly goals! (Changing ones?) I'll try that next challenge too! Iliked deftona's set up a lot. So it's kind of stealing... or rather deftona sharing her awesomeness or so. 

Definitely curious to see how you'll do it, too. :) 

I wasn't gone.  :ph34r: Obviously. I was just napping a bit. 

:D

I won't be able to check up on the summary of your awesomeness tomorrow most likely. (Maybe I'll have wifi, then I definitely will! :)) But I know you kicked butt indeed. You were awesome again. Great motivation for me to see you going strong like that, too. :)

• Like 2

Everything from my arse down has been sore all day. My body really didn't appreciate all of the extra exercise I did yesterday.

I DEFINITELY know what you mean here. I'm very glad that I've gotten to the point where I'm not nearly as sore after the squats and lunges. I was spending half my week hobbling around there for a while.

Oh weekly goals! (Changing ones?) I'll try that next challenge too! Iliked deftona's set up a lot. So it's kind of stealing... or rather deftona sharing her awesomeness or so. 

Definitely curious to see how you'll do it, too. :)

Not changing ones. I think I'd go nuts if my goals changed every week. I just mean that rather than having things that have to be done daily, I'll have things that have to be completed weekly. I want this next challenge to be less stressful so I can focus on solidifying all the habits I've been working on for the last 12 weeks.

I won't be able to check up on the summary of your awesomeness tomorrow most likely. (Maybe I'll have wifi, then I definitely will! :)) But I know you kicked butt indeed. You were awesome again. Great motivation for me to see you going strong like that, too. :)

Have fun wherever you are! Thanks for your confidence in me!

Been a little busy the last few days and never got on here to check in. The challenge is officially done! It went pretty well. I didn't get as far along on the push-ups as I'd hoped but when I did them today I could get almost half way up on the third one before my arms gave out. It won't be too long before I can do 3! I'm going to keep working on them. My long term goal is to be able to do 3 sets of 10 pushups for the BBWW. I am looking forward to being able to play around on the pull up station without worrying about it making my arms too tired/sore though. 

Friday September 4 - Day 40

No BBWW

Did some push-up work twice, but didn't write down exactly how many of each that I did and I don't remember now.

I did my evening routine

I also did morning yoga and walked for 30 minutes. I didn't stick to my hunger ratings too well though.

Saturday September 5 - Day 41

I was really busy today getting stuff done before our vacation. I could have fit in the BBWW, but by the time I was done I was really tired. I started to put off the strength training completely, but I didn't want to miss a workout. So instead of the full BBWW I did 2 sets of 20 squats, 10 push-ups (1st set - 2 floor, 2 hearth, 3 tub, 3 entertainment center; 2nd set - 1 floor, 2 hearth, 3 tub, 4 entertainment center), 37 sec plank. The 2 floor push-ups went smoother than they have been. 

No push-up work outside of the strength training.

I did my evening routine

I also did morning yoga and stuck to my hunger ratings except for one meal.

Sunday September 5 - Day 42

No BBWW

Did push-ups once just to make sure I couldn't do three. I got almost half way up on the third one! I also did 2 on the hearth, 2 on the tub and 4 on the entertainment center.

I did my evening routine

I also did the 30 minute morning yoga/daily exercise and I stuck to my hunger ratings all day.

• Like 1

Week 6/Challenge Summary

Quest 1: I did strength training twice this week. That means I completed this quest of the challenge with 100%! There were two sessions that I did a shorter workout than the BBWW, but I had allowed for that. This quest is an A and I earned 3 STA and 2 DEX.

Quest 2: I can do two push-ups!! I'm very close to being able to do three, I think. I didn't reach my goal of 5, but I did make good progress. Being able to do 2 push-ups is a B and definitely feels like a success to me! I earned 2 STR for this.

Quest 3: I ate 6 or more fruits and veggies all this week. I slacked off some with this quest at the beginning of the challenge, but once I realized I couldn't miss anymore and still get an A I buckled down. This one has definitely kept me from eating as much unhealthy stuff. That isn't to say that I haven't eaten junk food, but I've eaten less of it which was the goal. I finished this quest with 90.5% which is an A. I earned 3 CON and 1 WIS.

Life Quest: I didn't miss any of these this week either. I slacked a little on this one occasionally but still finished with 92.9% which is an A. This feels like it's become a pretty good habit. There have been a few times that I didn't want to do it, but I don't forget it anymore. I earned 3 CHA for this one.

This has been a good challenge. I can see and feel the muscles I've built over the last 6 weeks and I'm feeling much stronger. Personally I feel that any challenge that I complete is a success, but the goal of this challenge was to increase my strength and learn to like strength training. I've done both, though I do still dread the BBWW on some days, but not as much as before. I really like feeling stronger and being able to do more.

I'm going to participate in the next challenge, but I'll probably be posting a lot less. I'm going be working on the habits I've created in the last two challenges, but I don't think any of my quests are going to be related to those habits. I tried to come up with a simple way to track and score the habits that would keep the challenge low key, but I didn't come up with anything. Instead I'm looking at quests that will keep things interesting and fun (trying new recipes and new exercises).

I also earned 3 DEX for working with the Med Bay in the mini challenge, 1 STR for helping to get rid of the tribbles and 1 STA for helping with Q.

• Like 2

Good job on all of the work you have done for this challange.

Have a great vacation

zohan-bbq-o.gif

Thanks, ElemHH! We'll hope that neither my husband or I get drunk enough to flash anyone on the vacation though!

• Like 2

YAY! you did it!! I like the idea of trying new things for the next challenge. Bringing in some fun to it- you had a lot of BIG goals this time around, and I think it'll be good to keep those up while exploring new options too so you don't find yourself lying on the kitchen floor moaning "Not... another... green apple..."

Congratulations!

• Like 1

Thanks, jrosto! I would have liked to get a little farther with the push-ups, but I'll keep working on them.

That's the plan, Snarky! Of course instead of moaning about another green apple when I get bored I usually just grab chocolate (or something else unhealthy). I love "pinning" new recipes but I rarely ever actually make any of them.

We are officially on vacation, but we don't leave for a couple of hours yet. I will have wifi at the hotel, but I probably won't be checking in here till we get back. Have a great week off everyone! I'll see you at the next challenge!

• Like 2

Well I'm back everyone. The vacation did not go as planned and I'll be waiting till next Monday to start the challenge. My uncle died on Friday morning and we ended up leaving San Antonio and driving to Alabama for the funeral. We got back last night and I'm still beat. I also think I may be sick. I'm really congested and I'm having sinus/allergy issues. We did go to the first day of the Comic Con (on Friday) since we were already headed there when got the news. Plus we'd paid for our tickets months ago and there was no way to get our money back. It was pretty fun, but most of the big celebrities and fun stuff didn't start until Saturday. All in all it has been a rough few days so I'm going to try to recover some before I start my next challenge.

My uncle is actually one of the reasons why I started this journey. He developed type II diabetes several years ago and never did the things he was supposed to do to try to control or reverse it. He got so sick that he needed a kidney transplant after a few years. He spent several years going to dialysis 3 days a week and he still never tried to keep his blood sugar under control. He started going blind a couple of years ago and recently went totally blind. A couple of weeks ago they told him that the damage to his body was so extensive he was no longer eligible for a kidney. He went into the hospital last Wednesday because of heart issues and was dead by Friday. All of that could have been avoided if he'd made some dietary changes and gotten some exercise. I was angry at him years ago when they told him he needed the kidney transplant. Angry that he wouldn't take care of himself and that he felt like cake (or whatever) was more important than his health. The last few years it hasn't mattered if he took care of himself or not. He was sick enough that getting him to eat anything was difficult. I stopped being angry at some point and just became very sad. It was sad and hard to lose him, but in a way it's a relief. He's been in a lot of pain the last couple of years and his suffering is finally over. When his kidneys failed I swore that I would never be like that if I got sick. But I still didn't do anything to lose the weight and better my health. As I watched him (and several other family members) get sicker and weaker I realized I didn't want to be that way. I want to be healthy, mobile and capable for as long as I possibly can. Add that to a milestone birthday and here we are. I didn't really mean for this to become such a rant. I guess I just needed somewhere to vent. 

Anyway, I've posted my new challenge, but it may change some before Monday.

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/71466-athenamm-goddesses-just-wanna-have-fun/

• Like 2

Sorry to hear about your uncle. he may not have taken care of himself, but inspiring you to make those changes in your own life is a positive you can add to his life. I'm sure he'd be glad to know he helped you in some way. Sorry you didn't get to enjoy your vacation.

This week is one that I'm glad to see the back of, sounds like you are right there with me.

Good luck with the new challenge, I'll head over to your thread after I hit post and make sure I follow along again.

I'm not going to be doing a challenge this time, but decided tonight that I might start up a battle log, so I can keep myself accountable while I recoup and wait for the next challenge cycle to start up.

• Like 3

Sorry to hear about your uncle. he may not have taken care of himself, but inspiring you to make those changes in your own life is a positive you can add to his life. I'm sure he'd be glad to know he helped you in some way. Sorry you didn't get to enjoy your vacation.

This week is one that I'm glad to see the back of, sounds like you are right there with me.

Good luck with the new challenge, I'll head over to your thread after I hit post and make sure I follow along again.

I'm not going to be doing a challenge this time, but decided tonight that I might start up a battle log, so I can keep myself accountable while I recoup and wait for the next challenge cycle to start up.

Thanks, ElemHH. I hadn't thought about it like that, but that does help some. I am definitely ready for this week to be OVER. I found your battle log and am following along.

• Like 1