• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

I'm currently in the middle of an NCIS binge on Netflix, so what better theme for a challenge?  These are my "team members" for this challenge.

Kate--Training
tumblr_nqyotqff3n1s0185po1_500.jpg

Kate does a good job of keeping in shape, and that's what I'm working on.  Though the specific training from day to day may vary, my goal is to do something active for an average of 5 days a week for this challenge.  This can include yoga, Darebee workouts, a walk, or even mini-challenges.  
Goal: 30 days of working out.  +2 STR, +2 DEX

Abby--Drinking
tumblr_lovo4kv3oT1qc49yj.jpg

Abby's got her Caf-Pow, but I've got my water.  
Goal: 6 cups of water a day for 30 days.  +2 STA, +2 CHA

Tony--Eating
b64ltw.jpg

It seems like Tony can always find something to eat!  I'm still trying to find an eating "style" that works well for me and that I can stick to.  This time around I'm planning to try some carb cycling as outlined in Happy Hormones, Slim Belly.  If Tony falls down on the job, though, he can probably get the probie to do some research and find some other eating plan that might work.

Goal: 30 days of carb-cycling or find another plan to try.  +2 STA, +2 WIS

ncis4x2000089.jpg

Update:  Tony has bowed out and made McGee do the work (again!)  While McGee is researching, I'm going to stick with not eating when I'm full and eating what I'm hungry for.  

Gibbs--Relaxing
gibbsboat.jpg

Gibbs relaxes in the basement with his boat, getting both quiet and the chance to work with his hands.  This challenge will overlap the beginning of the school year for me and for my kids.  Rather than stress about it, I want to make plans to relax.  Creativity is part of relaxing for me, so I want to make this a two-part goal.
Goal: 30 days of doing something relaxing with at least 12 of them involving creativity.  +3 CHA

• Like 3

I was so excited when I saw that NCIS was on Netflix. I hadn't watched many of the first seasons at all. Having so much fun going back and watching them. Only problem is realizing how much I miss some of the old characters. If you drink water like Abby drinks Caf-pow- you will be all powerful! Great challenge.

• Like 1

Having so much fun going back and watching them. Only problem is realizing how much I miss some of the old characters.

I know, right?!  My husband says he'll stop watching when Ziva shows up and Kate leaves.  We're partway through Season 2, so I'm expecting that any day now.

If you drink water like Abby drinks Caf-pow- you will be all powerful!

I wish!  It's a goal to work up to, right?

• Like 1

Man it has been a while since I've seen some NCIS.  Of course knowing now that is on Netflix...

Like the goals you have and looking forward to watching your progress

• Like 1

Day 1: 

• Sick, so settled for about 5 minutes of yoga and called that a workout.  Any more didn't seem wise.
  • Drank all my water.
  • Followed the carb cycling plan for less carbs today.
  • Read on the couch (after napping for about 3 hours), so that would definitely be relaxing!

Success!

• Like 2

Huh looks more like a Ranger challenge than an Assassin one. /not subtle

NCIS - I got bored from the series with a combination of too many similar episodic shows and the odd and obvious forcing of Tony and Ziva together. Unlike other shows I dropped about the same time though I have thought about getting back into it, which surprises me. Why did your husband say he'd stop after Kate? (I only started watching in the Ziva age, so when I went back Kate leaving wasn't such a surprise, but boy it still hit hard.)

• Like 1

Huh looks more like a Ranger challenge than an Assassin one. /not subtle

Thanks for the backhanded invite!  I'll probably stick with the Assassins for now, as I'm a dancer at heart, but I'll bear the Rangers in mind.

Why did your husband say he'd stop after Kate? (I only started watching in the Ziva age, so when I went back Kate leaving wasn't such a surprise, but boy it still hit hard.)

I know, right?!  When Kate died I cried for quite a while.  

My husband just plain doesn't like Ziva, but he decided that he'd suffer through her for a while since we can get through the shows much faster now than he could when he was watching them week by week.  I'm happy to have the company!

Thanks for the backhanded invite!  I'll probably stick with the Assassins for now, as I'm a dancer at heart, but I'll bear the Rangers in mind.

I know, right?!  When Kate died I cried for quite a while.  

My husband just plain doesn't like Ziva, but he decided that he'd suffer through her for a while since we can get through the shows much faster now than he could when he was watching them week by week.  I'm happy to have the company!

Yeah, I understand sticking with a guild because that is where the people you know are. It is funny, though, how that blurs the lines between them.

I don't dislike Ziva, but sometimes she bothered me, and other times I liked her.

Yeah, I understand sticking with a guild because that is where the people you know are. It is funny, though, how that blurs the lines between them.

My understanding of the Rangers was that they were about lifting stuff, and I prefer bodyweight right now, so that's why I thought they weren't a good fit.  Can you straighten me out?

My understanding of the Rangers was that they were about lifting stuff, and I prefer bodyweight right now, so that's why I thought they weren't a good fit.  Can you straighten me out?

Warriors is lifting

Druids are meditation, yoga, and tai chi stuff

Monks are martial arts

Scouts are running

Assassins are body weight workouts and mixing flexibility with strength, parkour

Rangers are all-around, the description is "scouts mixed with warriors"

You can see how there is overlap with the Assassins and Rangers. Then the assassins are the biggest with mini-groups of people that always follow each other so they are more likely to stay there on more rounded challenges . . . new people look at threads to know if they will fit, and now there isn't a lot of distinction between the two. I suppose lifting vs bw might be the difference, but looking at threads there are a lot of kettlebells here and a lot of push-ups in Rangers.

link to listing of guilds with descriptions

Check out the number of threads each one has. If Rangers wasn't the second largest (ignoring adventurers) then it would almost make sense to merge them. 

On the other hand, Monks and Druids likely have a lot of overlap as well and are the two smallest guilds.

Strange things tickle my interest.

Anyway, I wasn't even recruiting, just pretending to have elitism because it can be fun when playful. BUT I got to type about numbers which is even better.

• Like 1

Warriors is lifting

Druids are meditation, yoga, and tai chi stuff

Monks are martial arts

Scouts are running

Assassins are body weight workouts and mixing flexibility with strength, parkour

Rangers are all-around, the description is "scouts mixed with warriors"

You can see how there is overlap with the Assassins and Rangers. Then the assassins are the biggest with mini-groups of people that always follow each other so they are more likely to stay there on more rounded challenges . . . new people look at threads to know if they will fit, and now there isn't a lot of distinction between the two. I suppose lifting vs bw might be the difference, but looking at threads there are a lot of kettlebells here and a lot of push-ups in Rangers.

link to listing of guilds with descriptions

Check out the number of threads each one has. If Rangers wasn't the second largest (ignoring adventurers) then it would almost make sense to merge them. 

On the other hand, Monks and Druids likely have a lot of overlap as well and are the two smallest guilds.

Strange things tickle my interest.

Anyway, I wasn't even recruiting, just pretending to have elitism because it can be fun when playful. BUT I got to type about numbers which is even better.

Awesome!  Thanks so much for the descriptions.  

I'm not at a point in my fitness journey where I can either run or lift heavy things, so I'll probably stay here for now.  :)  I think I actually did consider the Rangers, but was attracted to Assassins for all the fun mini-challenges.

No worries!  I didn't take it as anything but playful and fun.

Hi! Saw you in the RenReb listings. My hubby's been watching NCIS a lot lately. I'm not big on these types of procedural crime dramas, but he loves them! I've seen a lot of Bones because of that, too... I think I prefer that one, but I really love the Abby character. :3 (She's like everything Angela wanted to be in Bones, but failed to be... god I hate Angela.)

ANYway, looks like you have a nice, well-rounded challenge. What kind of creative things are you planning on doing?

• Like 1

Hi! Saw you in the RenReb listings. My hubby's been watching NCIS a lot lately. I'm not big on these types of procedural crime dramas, but he loves them! I've seen a lot of Bones because of that, too... I think I prefer that one, but I really love the Abby character. :3 (She's like everything Angela wanted to be in Bones, but failed to be... god I hate Angela.)

ANYway, looks like you have a nice, well-rounded challenge. What kind of creative things are you planning on doing?

Hi!  My husband prefers Bones, but they're a little too much for me, so I watch NCIS instead.  :)

Creative things will probably be working on a book I've started making (oil pastels, cutting, pasting, et cetera), drawing, watercolor painting, and maybe writing.  If I get really ambitious I might fix my piano, but I don't think I'm there just yet.  :)

• Like 1

attracted to Assassins for all the fun mini-challenges.

The rangers have started some minis, but it is just a 'pick 6 feats (like PRs) that are achievable in a week' (one each of combat, speed, health, . . . ) then a story each week to go along with the random feat type. I think the assassins have advantage on that but on the other hand it allows for the small goals one might have (side quests?) that would make a challenge otherwise unwieldy or are too small for a separate goal.

• Like 1

Day 3:

• Darebee's Knockout workout
  • Drank all my water
  • <125 g carbs
  • Did something creative to relax with

It was another success.  I love setting goals I'm able to reach.   :playful:

On a side note, I can really tell a difference in my body's reaction to carbs after not eating (many of) them for a couple days.  It doesn't take many to make me feel like I've got a "sugar high," which means this carb-cycling thing may be working.  Time will tell...

• Like 1

Day 4:

• No workout
  • Drank all my water
  • Ate <125 g carbs
  • Didn't do any relaxing of any sort

Yesterday was a busy day with errands to be run and almost a full day at work.  (I'm finally able to work a full day again, after being sick on Sunday and slooowly getting better.)  I feel like I kept the important things in place, though, and hopefully will be able to relax and work out this weekend and get caught back up.  

I am wondering again if part of the reason I have trouble with weight might be PCOS (two of my sisters have it), and so I've found and scheduled an appointment with a local endocrinologist next month who's supposed to be the go-to person around here for it.  Otherwise my weight's discouraging (back up again, despite trying hard to eat well and exercise).  Ah well, I guess I'll just try to focus on the fact that my body's feeling (and looking) better and not worry otherwise.

I'm off to work and glad to be unsick again!

• Like 3

Day 5:

• Actually worked out some, but not a full 3 sets as prescribed.  Decided it counted anyway, because at least I did something.
  • Drank all my water
  • Ate <125 g carbs
  • Did something relaxing and creative

Still really down and discouraged.  I hope it's not that black dog sneaking in for another bite, but if so, I guess the best thing I can do for it is just keep on with what I'm doing.

• Like 2

Good Morning WoodNymph, I've enjoyed reading your comments on other's posts, and I'm a huge NCIS fan.  I've been taking a peek in here every once in awhile to see how you are doing.

How often are you weighing yourself?  Daily weigh-ins can be discouraging.  A bit too much salt one day can result in a couple pounds of water weight gain.  For me, grains cause rapid, temporary, weight gain.  I'm beginning to think this is from inflammation.  For me, I've found that the most accurate way to track my weight is to do an 'official' weigh-in once a week.  Mine in on Monday morning right before I get dressed.  I weigh on Monday just to keep myself in line over the weekend ;)

You are doing great.  Your body is happy with your progress and is rewarding you with feeling better.  It's also letting you know when you have a few too many carbs.  Keep up the good work and you will continue to see success.

• Like 3

Good for you going to the endocrinologist. I think there are many who don't do the important thing of seeing the doctor until things turn too sour. And I second jrosto says; the scale can lie, especially day to day.

• Like 1