• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hazard

The Assassins' Den (guild chat)

I was super busy (no time for chat) and then crashed and achieved nothing (no wish for chat but hiding instead) but am getting back on my wagon now. Doing a lot better and ready to chat again.

By the way, does anyone else love Mondays? Because I am one of those weird people who really do :)

11870739_811556865609546_519043004873053

• Like 6

I normally don't mind Mondays so much (and it rather irks me in the office when people say things like "I've been having Mondays all week") but I will say that my vacation cannot come soon enough... Too bad it's still like 7 weeks away...

I was super busy (no time for chat) and then crashed and achieved nothing (no wish for chat but hiding instead) but am getting back on my wagon now. Doing a lot better and ready to chat again.

By the way, does anyone else love Mondays? Because I am one of those weird people who really do :)

11870739_811556865609546_519043004873053

Love might be a strong word. But I do rather like Mondays, for this very same reason. Tuesdays, however, have a nasty tendency to hit below the belt. :playful:

Just out of curiousity, does anyone else here run? As in 5k or more? I know running isn't generally associated with our guild, but I was just wondering.

• Like 3

Love might be a strong word. But I do rather like Mondays, for this very same reason. Tuesdays, however, have a nasty tendency to hit below the belt. :playful:

Just out of curiousity, does anyone else here run? As in 5k or more? I know running isn't generally associated with our guild, but I was just wondering.

yeah I find Tuesdays need a totally different strategy to Mondays, like if I worked a lot on Monday, Tuesday would be a good workout/training day instead and less work. Today I trained well (and got a fair amount of work done, but it could have been more) so tomorrow there is no point planning a big day on that again and rather look for quieter activities. Sometimes I push fully through both days and then am flattened on Wednesday :P Ahh the golden key of a balanced schedule. One day :)

Funny thing you are asking about the running. I signed up accidentally for a 10 mile run taking place in October. Do you know of any good training schedule? Might have to pop over to the scouts to ask, but then maybe not, we do have a few runners here, don't we?

• Like 1

I'm a sort-of runner? I go for 'runs' 2-3 times/week (usually about 30 min/2.5k run/walk intervals that i'm trying to get to be more running, less walking) and one of those runs I aim for 5k. My goal is to be able to run 30 min straight and then to run a 5k without walking breaks.

I know mr_willes runs quite a bit (I believe he is on vacation at the moment) and there's Trewest...

• Like 2

I started running about 6 weeks ago, I run 2-3 times per week (I try for 3, but sometimes life has other plans). I've been adding half a mile to my run every 2 weeks, so am currently at 3miles/4.8KM

• Like 1

I'm not running at the moment, but I have done it off and on in the past. I'm afraid I don't have any secrets for running plans, as I really didn't follow one. But I did learn the importance of having one that increases intensity very gradually. I didn't do that, I didn't build up incrementally and consistently, instead running whatever distance the others were at a local running club. Sometimes 2.5 miles, sometimes 4 or 5. Good community, but not so good in the long run for a raw beginner such as myself.

I bring up running because I am considering getting back into it once again. I was just curious if others of the Assassin community run as well.

Many things about it appeal to me. Having good cardio endurance for one, and the health benefits that come along with it. It's also something I can do year round, provided I take it a bit easier in the winter. There also seems to be a thriving running community anywhere you go. Perhaps it is the most universal sport in that regard. The last piece that appeals to me is that it is one of the few physical pursuits where I would actually consider getting into competitions. Start with 5k and go from there. I am not by nature a competitive person. But I think this is most likely because for much of my life I have not been a very active or physical person. Now that I am active, and know that I can improve my skill in anything with concentrated effort over time, I can't help but wonder if there might be something I can gain through competing. Not in terms of awards or recognition, but perhaps in some kind of deeper life lesson. Just a thought anyway.

• Like 3

Last summer I used the Zombies, Run! 5k training app to get me from couch potato to being able to at least be out moving for the duration of a 5k. Still haven't gotten to the point where I can actually run the whole thing, but I've been able to join in a few 5ks since then, and its been loads of fun. As soon as I was done with the 5k training app, I jumped in on their standard running app and I'm really enjoying the story. Just started season 2! 

I started running- or at least continued despite all the evidence that "it's not as good for you as everyone thinks it is" because frankly being able to run longer distances just seems like a good skill to have! I'm trying to integrate sprints in to help vary things up a bit (I really should just turn the chases back on in the app, that would probably do it too).

• Like 4

I started running- or at least continued despite all the evidence that "it's not as good for you as everyone thinks it is" because frankly being able to run longer distances just seems like a good skill to have! I'm trying to integrate sprints in to help vary things up a bit (I really should just turn the chases back on in the app, that would probably do it too).

I'm with you on that. For me it's more about having the actual ability to run without getting winded, and having about 20 minutes of uninterupted "me time" (interuptions tend not to find me as I'm running down the path). I have read some similar things about how it's not as great for you if you are expecting running to be a sort of panacea to fitness. What I've taken away from it is that it's still good for you if you enjoy it and do it in moderation, and mix in some variety as well. Don't just do any one thing, and definitely don't  just do one thing to extremes. Like anything, too much of it can be detrimental (I think this applies to any physical activity). I imagine I would run into all sorts of issues if all I did was an extreme amount of pull-ups throughout the week, and no other exercise. Surely it's the same for running.

In recent months I have taken a strong interest in parkour self-training (though I must admit I have been slacking in the last few weeks). I would like to add some simple running to my routine simply to avoid getting so easily winded when I practice. I will most likely focus on short distances, maybe 1-2 miles, with short bursts of flat out speed. Historically, I am a terrible sprinter, so this should be interesting. If I decide to focus on endurance rather than speed, it will still most likely be no more than 5k.

• Like 3

I am another assasin who runs. I stopped for a bit but I'm just getting back into it again so I can do ALL THE SPARTAN RACES RAAARR next year. My distances are definitely coming back waaaay faster this round.

Last time I used to Zombies, Run! C25K and found that it ramped up waaaay slower than I wanted to be, and also the weeks when it had us doing CALF RAISES?!?! during running I was like BRO, calf raises when the thing that ALWAYS gets sore for me is my calves is just NOT going to happen ya'll! (I have super muscle calves from dance so extra calf strength training is not something I need, but it may be great for others!) I did love the story though and at some points I'd just listen to it for the story but do whatever I needed to do for me as far as running intervals and stuff.

The Hal Higdon training programs always get good reviews but don't have the advantage of an app telling you exactly what to do (unless they had added that and I haven't checked them out.):

Novice 5K training

I think I may pick up the normal Zombies, Run! app soon just for some entertainment while I run.

• Like 2

Omg you guys. I think I am officially in love. I just went to my first Capoeira class. And then when I was done I went and sat in my car and laughed and cried because I was so happy. Mind officially blown.

• Like 5

I KNOW RIGHT?!

This is totally going to be me *nods knowingly*

....Okay maybe in like 5 years or something. *goes to practice more handstands*

Um... 2 years is my prediction!  Glad you found a new fling.  I've been surprised there hasn't been more capoiera in the den... but maybe we just needed you to start the trend.  (It's a cool thing I've seen... but I have no skills :D ).

Capoeira!

My wife experimented with it for awhile, and from what  heard, it was really more my kind of thing, so I keep intending to five it a whirl...... there are drop-in classes in the same town as I do my aerial............. TOO MANY SHINY THINGS, TOO LITTLE TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIME.

• Like 5

I cannot empathize with this feel enough. OMG. I WANT TO DO EVERYTHING BUT THERE'S NOT ENOUGH TIME IN MY LIFE TO DO IT ALL 

This is today's theme for me. It's quite depressing right now :/ BUT! I can at least dip my toe (read: jump in with both feet) into this capoeira thing and figure stuff out later :P

• Like 3

Looking for some advice...

I'm working on my next challenge (never too early!!!) and one big shift I want to do is to put a strong emphasis on food. A while back, I tried counting calories and by george if I didn't see some immediate results on the scale. But, it drove me bonkers and I could only handle it for about 1.5 weeks before I just hid the app on my phone. It wasn't an obsession thing, and it wasn't "I'm still hungry" or "but all my favorite foods are gone", it was just so frustrating. I ended up spending way too much time trying to get it to behave properly and got fed up with it and almost uninstalled the thing. Aside from this, I've also tried "No candy/junkfood/carbs at work" and that just never sticks because there's always excuses >.<

I want to try calorie counting again, but I'm wondering if anyone has any tips on how to make it less.. maddening?

One of my biggest struggles with it is that we often make food at home from scratch. Meal planning is not an option (I have tried suggesting this to Husband, it's just not in his genes). So when it comes time to input my dinner, it turns into "search: Sir Fry; make best guess of the options listed". Also inputting exercises to adjust the recommended caloric intake... I have a hard time believing this is remotely accurate and I don't want to end up starving myself on days with heavy workouts. 

((This based on my experiences with the LiveStrong MyPlate app. I feel like my difficulty is not app-specific (so MyFitnessPal I expect to have the same difficulty with) but I'm open to trying new things))

So... Advice? Suggestions? Anecdotes? Short stories? Etc?

• Like 1

Calorie counting has been part of my last 2 challenges, and I hate it. It is time consuming and frustrating, but I find that it works for me, as long as I don't "forget" to add certain foods.

We don't cook many foods from scratch, so it is a little easier for me, I just read the box and input the calories, fat ect that is listed. For those things we do make at home I brought a good electric kitchen scale. I now take food off my plate, weigh it individually, make notes and then after the meal look up how many calories each item contained. I also swapped out the cooking oils we had for zero calorie cooking sprays, so I wouldn't have to guesstimate the amout of calories added by random spalshes of oil.

The one thing that makes it a little easier for me is that I am a creature of habit, so a lot of the foods i eat are the same as the things I have had before. So once I have them saved in my app (I use Lose it) it is easy to pick the food again, no extra work required.

None of that is particulary useful to you, sorry, just thought I'd share my experience (hatred) of calorie counting.

Just before I hit post I came up with a positive. My app seems to be fairly accurate when it comes to working out calories burned during exercise (based on me working out calories on a number of online calculators and comparing the final numbers), it automatically knocks those off your calorie total for the day, giving me the chance to eat more on the days that I exercise. There are days where I eat around 2,500 calories, but still hit the 1,611 allowance the app has given me because I have been so active on that day.

• Like 1

Calorie counting has been part of my last 2 challenges, and I hate it. It is time consuming and frustrating, but I find that it works for me, as long as I don't "forget" to add certain foods.

Hah, I think this is the most comforting part- knowing that other people hate it too (but still carry on because it works for them). Sometimes it seems that, since calorie counting is so widely accepted and effective, tons of people do it, but the complaints line up more with the "it leaves me hungry, but I get results" or "I can't have my favorite foods, but I get results." I (personally) don't hear the "It's so darn frustrating, but I get results" line much, so it seemed a little weird that that was the problem I was having! 

• Like 1

Hah, I think this is the most comforting part- knowing that other people hate it too (but still carry on because it works for them). Sometimes it seems that, since calorie counting is so widely accepted and effective, tons of people do it, but the complaints line up more with the "it leaves me hungry, but I get results" or "I can't have my favorite foods, but I get results." I (personally) don't hear the "It's so darn frustrating, but I get results" line much, so it seemed a little weird that that was the problem I was having! 

I don't get hungry very much because I can either eat a lot of lower calorie foods to fill up, or exercise and then have extra calories that I can use. I also don't give up my favorite foods, I may have to eat them less often, but I can still have them as long as I account for the calories.

The frustration part is my biggest propblem too, it's just a pain in the arse. I'll be glad when I am done with it, but that might be quite far off. I heard somewhere that you have to maintain your new weight for six months before your body accepts it as your normal weight (not sure if that is really true, but I'm going to treat it like it is), so I will have to keep logging foods even when I'm not restricting calories, just so i don't go over my maintenance calories.